Menu

What word sends you over the edge?

I can't believe that no one has brought up the substitution of resemble for resent ie I resemble his attitude. That does not make any sense. How could anyone mistake a word of three syllables for a word of two? And they end with a different sound?

IME, people aren't confusing the two. Let this example explain:

Betty: I really hate it when people don't put their shopping carts in the cart corral!

Lucy: Hey! I resemble that remark! --Meaning, she's one of the people who doesn't put her cart away. She's being sarcastic.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, y'all is particularly useful when learning Latin Grammar. We chant: I, You, He-She-It...we, y'all, and they! It sounds so much better than we, you (pl.) and they.

Barb

Yes, the first Latin program I use, uses y'all which tickled me to no end and of course made it so much easier for all us southerners to learn it.

Ok, someone please explain to me the problem with panties. I can understand if we are referring to men's underwear why someone might have a problem with panties. Those would rightful be called boxers or briefs. There are no other choices. But for as long as I have lived women's underwear have always been referred to as panties. Now panties come in many different varieties: knickers, bloomers, boxers, boyshorts, hip huggers, briefs, French cut, bikinis, thongs, and probably a few more that I can remember right now but they are always panties. The way to tell panties from underwear is that men wear underwear and women wear panties. I don't even know what else you would call women's panties and I certainly don't understand why so many people would have a problem with the word. So pray tell, what exactly I am missing? :confused:

musicality |ˌmyoōziˈkalətē|

noun

tastefulness and accomplishment in music : she sings with unfailing musicality.

• the quality of being melodious and tuneful : his speaking voice hinted at musicality.

• awareness of music and rhythm, esp. in dance : the audition panel was looking for coordination, musicality, and flexibility.

I used to think the same thing about physicality. I heard a professional athlete using the word and I thought he sounded totally uneducated but I just blew it off as him being a dumb jock. Then I heard another one using and I thought well maybe it is a new slang word and then I heard a clearly educated person use it so I looked it up and sure enough it was a word. Boy, did I feel stupid. My bad! :D

Ok, someone please explain to me the problem with panties. I can understand if we are referring to men's underwear why someone might have a problem with panties. Those would rightful be called boxers or briefs. There are no other choices. But for as long as I have lived women's underwear have always been referred to as panties. Now panties come in many different varieties: knickers, bloomers, boxers, boyshorts, hip huggers, briefs, French cut, bikinis, thongs, and probably a few more that I can remember right now but they are always panties. The way to tell panties from underwear is that men wear underwear and women wear panties. I don't even know what else you would call women's panties and I certainly don't understand why so many people would have a problem with the word. So pray tell, what exactly I am missing? :confused:

Whew! I was beginning to think I was just strange, because that's what we say and I don't even know what else we'd call them. At our house, "underwear" means man panties. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing responses.

Yes! I was shopping for a used chest of drawers a couple of months ago, and came across many listings in Craigslist advertising Chester Drawers. I refused to even look at them! I just couldn't get myself to do business with the person who placed the ad.

Snobby? Probably. I honestly hope they sold their chester drawers. I just didn't want to buy them. :)

People in the south also say this. It means chest of drawers. :001_smile:

I've honestly never heard anyone drop the first syllable in pizza. Do they just say "tsa"? (Let's go get a tsa?)

My brother started doing it when he moved out to LA a few years ago. He will say in all seriousness, "let's have 'za". :ack2: The really sad thing is that "za" has made it into the official Scrabble dictionary.

I thought of another phrase that makes me cringe and don't know if it's been mentioned before...

"My baby daddy" and "my baby momma." I hear these used a lot by teen single parents and it drives me way over the edge.

Well this one doesn't bother me so much because there are some relations that are simply to long and cumbersome to describe. For instance, my SIL's mother, what do I call her? Or my SIL's brother and his wife? Their child? My son's girlfriend's mother? My husband's ex-wife's mother and father? My husband's ex-wife's sister's husband? and their child? Our family tree is very long and twisted and quite extensive. All of these people in intergral parts of our lives but there are simply no common easy words to desrcibe the relationships. Now down south we simply call them kin but that doesn't exactly explain how they are related to us. If there is some short simply phase which adequately explains the relationship, well then, I am all in favor of using it.

You *do* know where they get the "r" in warsh, right?

From the libary! :D

Now that's funny:D Can't stand people ending a sentence with a preposition. Just crawls all over me. My dh does it all the time!

After listening to a Jeff Foxworthy CD, every time someone says, "Yustacould," my dc's and I just can't help it, we start with a giggle and get quickly to the roll on the floor laugh.

My dc's always comment about my Mom saying, "It's over yonder." I don't even notice it though so I guess it's a cultural thing.

IME, people aren't confusing the two. Let this example explain:

Betty: I really hate it when people don't put their shopping carts in the cart corral!

Lucy: Hey! I resemble that remark! --Meaning, she's one of the people who doesn't put her cart away. She's being sarcastic.

:iagree: This is how my dad uses it. It's a joke.

Hearing the word panties makes me think of a pervert sitting in a room sniffing women's underpants. I don't know why. But it does. The word just makes me cringe.

I wear underwear. My dh wears underwear. The kids wear underwear. No panties.

Hearing the word panties makes me think of a pervert sitting in a room sniffing women's underpants. I don't know why. But it does. The word just makes me cringe.

I wear underwear. My dh wears underwear. The kids wear underwear. No panties.

We wear underpanties!:D (And yes, I say it just to make everyone in the family cringe. . .)

I'll second the vote for ending a sentence with a preposition. I don't care if I end up sounding as if I'm speaking Victorian English; I simply can't stand finishing sentences with "at", "with", etc.

I am equally disgusted by ending sentences with prepositions,

And please don't end a sentence with a preposition. "Where is it at?" gets the response of 'behind the at' at our house.

Can't stand people ending a sentence with a preposition. Just crawls all over me. My dh does it all the time!

Many grammarians would disagree with you. :D

From Grammar Girl:

I'm going to start calling this “grammar myth number one†because nearly all grammarians agree that it's fine to end sentences with prepositions, at least in some cases (1, 2, 3, 4).

--

References

Huddleston, R. and Pullman, G.K. A Student's Introduction to English Grammar. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, p. 20, 137-8.

Strumpf, M. and Douglas, A. The Grammar Bible. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 2004, p. 231, 217.

Thurman, S. The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need. Avon: Adams Media, 2003, p.32.

Stilman, A. Grammatically Correct. Cincinnati: Writer's Digest Books, 2004, p.264.

From http://www.Grammarphobia.com:

TOMBSTONE: It's wrong to end a sentence with a preposition.

R.I.P. We can blame an 18th-century English clergyman named Robert Lowth for this one. He wrote the first grammar book saying a preposition (a positioning word, like at, by, for, into, off, on, out, over, to, under, up, with) shouldn't go at the end of a sentence. This idea caught on, even though great literature from Chaucer to Shakespeare to Milton is bristling with sentences ending with prepositions. Nobody knows just why the notion stuck—possibly because it's closer to Latin grammar, or perhaps because the word "preposition" means "position before," which seemed to mean that a preposition can't come last.

At any rate, this is a rule that modern grammarians have long tried to get us out from under.

Also see:

http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.com/articles/article/1026513/8910.htm

I can't believe that no one has brought up the substitution of resemble for resent ie I resemble his attitude. That does not make any sense. How could anyone mistake a word of three syllables for a word of two? And they end with a different sound?

LOL :lol::lol: This is really funny! It's not supposed to make sense and no one is mistaking it.

It is a joke made popular by Alan Alda in his role as Hawkeye Pierce in the series M*A*S*H.

Back-in-the-day it was sometimes called balking tackwards. (re: talking backwards) Like saying, "Bad spellers of the world: untie!" (instead of 'unite'). It is a form of banter, and those that can whip it off effortlessly are comedians. You see a lot of this on Monty Python and Hugh and Laurie.

It is a tongue and cheek way of acknowledging that you made a mistake which in my opinion is progress in our society where no one ever makes a mistake.

So we should reconsider and let if fly because it is -peripherally at least - an acknowledgment that one has made a mistake. I see your point, however, I wish people would just say:" I am sorry. I was wrong / made a mistake." This must be the hardest sentence to utter.

So we should reconsider and let if fly because it is -peripherally at least - an acknowledgment that one has made a mistake. I see your point, however, I wish people would just say:" I am sorry. I was wrong / made a mistake." This must be the hardest sentence to utter.

Yes, I know many people who are simply incapable of saying it.

LOL :lol::lol: This is really funny! It's not supposed to make sense and no one is mistaking it.

It is a joke made popular by Alan Alda in his role as Hawkeye Pierce in the series M*A*S*H.

Back-in-the-day it was sometimes called balking tackwards. (re: talking backwards) Like saying, "Bad spellers of the world: untie!" (instead of 'unite'). It is a form of banter, and those that can whip it off effortlessly are comedians. You see a lot of this on Monty Python and Hugh and Laurie.

I can banter with the best of them. My hubby married me for me witty (albeit sometimes sarcastic) sense of humor. :D

You said "The way to tell panties from underwear is that men wear underwear and women wear panties." When I was a teenager doing the laundry, my Dad would have a fit if I said I had put away his "underwear".I'm sure the word "panties" was not even in his vocabulary. He said "Men do not wear underwear, women wear underwear.Men wear "shorts. " I can't even imagine what would have happened if anyone would have ever referred to his "shorts" as "panties". I'm sure I don't even want to know. :lol:

Guest mrs. logic
When we were growing up my dad would become irate if we used the word "fart." :lol: Now that I'm grown I think that's pretty funny.

What word sends you over the edge?

Mine? Nag. I hate that word with a passion! It makes me :cursing:

"lookit"

To hear children say this drives me up the tree.

The phrase is "Look at it."

If I know the child I will correct their English.

Dd will often point out this English faux paux in public and proceed to give me the grammatical correction.

If we don't know the child we shake our heads and sigh at what a sorry state the educational system has become.

Me too. My unease is from the summer I stayed at college because I needed to take summer classes. I didn't know anyone else who was staying over the summer. I was alone and living in my now-dh's apartment which was at the end of a dead end street. I got a crank call from man asking me if I was wearing panties. Shudder. I'm pretty sure it was one of the TA's from one of my classes. And if he got my phone number he surely had my address. I was a bit distressed over this. Nothing happened, but since then that word just gives me the creeps.

Cinder

Ok, someone please explain to me the problem with panties...The way to tell panties from underwear is that men wear underwear and women wear panties.

I don't really have a reason other than the word just creeps me out!:)

In this house, everyone wears underwear. Why would only men wear underwear? For all, it's a garment we wear under-thus underwear!;)

First I couldn't think of any until I read "My bad.

This makes no sense grammatically or any other way.

Oh, and I like throw "gifted" out there, as in "I gifted my sister with flowers."

Aaaarrrggghhh.

To make it even worse, things can be "regifted" now.:tongue_smilie:

Woolybear

"Retarded" used as a pejorative. I see it and it makes me lose it. Educated people who know better than to use racial slurs will think nothing of demeaning people with intellectual disabilities.

http://www.specialolympics.org/spread-the-word-to-end-the-word.aspx

But here's the weird thing... I don't call anyone who is really challenged... Retarded. I would never call a mentally challenged person retarded...

I don't think of it as a "racial" slur. Hmmmm

But here's the weird thing... I don't call anyone who is really challenged... Retarded. I would never call a mentally challenged person retarded...

I'm only addressing the issue here, not you personally - I still find myself biting back the word "retarded" occasionally (and I have two delayed children), only because I was raised in a culture where it was a totally normal insult. There are a whole lot of people out there who would use the *n* word as a racial slur - against a caucasian. Eg, "You are acting like such a N****." They were never, in a million years, say it to (or even possibly about) an actual African-American; that would be pretty bold. But to slip it into conversation in such a way that no one is around who actually understands are is personally affected by it it much easier (and more subtle). It still betrays a prejudice against a certain people, but one that we all know in our hearts is wrong, so we don't dare actually say it in company who would be offended. It only goes to show that we know better, and we're perfectly capable of controlling it - when we really care enough, or when it might affect US.

:lol::lol::lol: I am enjoying this thread!

supper

Icebox for refrigerator (when I hear this I want to stand on the rooftop and shout) My daughter had a teacher in Pre-K who would send home papers that said "Hang this on the icebox"...(why we homeschool)

double negatives

the inability to pronounce Massachusetts--it's not Mas-a-chu-chets...

adding the letter 's' to words when speaking...mens...womens; it is men & women, they are already plural

"Retarded" used as a pejorative. I see it and it makes me lose it. Educated people who know better than to use racial slurs will think nothing of demeaning people with intellectual disabilities.

http://www.specialolympics.org/spread-the-word-to-end-the-word.aspx

:iagree: AGREED. I have a special bug too and this word infuriates me. Same with, when speaking to a pregnant woman, people say "what do you want, boy or girl? Oh, it doesn't matter, as long as it's healthy." What? What if it's not? Many moms KNOW their baby is unhealthy, or will die, or is dead. People mean well, I know because I've said the same darn things with nothing but the best of intentions. But the reality is... I cringe. When I was pregnant and someone said "as long as it's healthy," I liked to turn the onus away from the baby and back to where it belongs: on the adults. I would simply say "well, no, as long as it's loved." :001_smile:

Why? Because you know that calling other people is using their status as an insult...so you don't do it in front of them, kwim?

Just last week I had a student come up to me and say, "I'm so retarded; I forgot to do my paper." I replied, "No, you don't have an intellectual disability. You screwed up. I find your use of that word offensive." She replied, "I didn't mean it like THAT." Me, "Really, how did you mean it?" She was stumped...what she meant was dumb and stupid like THOSE people.

No matter what, when kids here "retard," as an insult -- even if it is NOT connected to people with intellectual disabilities, it predisposes them to think negatively of those who do have the impairment.

Want to see something cool, watch this kid's speech :-). It will get you thinking!

While speaking to a friend about my running shoes I said, "These shoes are tight!" And I didn't mean the fit. I don't know why but it just came out! I couldn't believe I said it. :lol: I don't like that word when it's being used that way.

I also can't stand the use of "hella". It's a Northern California word for "extremely" as in, "That shirt is hella cool!" My mil used it on facebook recently and I just about hit the floor!

I have to admit though I use a ton of the words mentioned here: "crap", for when I want to say something even worse, "got", ending sentences with prepositions, panties, y'all...the list goes on!