Menu

Strict parents join!

Sometimes I feel isolated in my strictness. By strict I mean that I censor what my kiddos are exposed to in the media.

Many people look at me like I have two heads when they find out my boys don't watch Sponge Bob.

I am also similarily amazed when I hear some of the things that little ones watch.

For example do you allow your 5 yr old to watch Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince? (assuming you allow Harry Potter at all) I won't let me almost 9 yr old watch it. So that makes me a weirdo.

Are you a weirdo too? :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you are a weirdo - everyone has different standards.

What's wrong with Sponge Bob, though? Other than it being the dumbest cartoon I have ever seen? We don't have cable/satellite, but my kids watch it at my mother's or aunt's sometimes. When we lived at my mother's they watched it all the time.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I am not a TV watcher, so my dc don't watch unless dh is home. He's only home 3 days a week (the other 4 he works 12pm-10pm or later, so they don't see him.)

I am a weirdo too then. However, my oldest is now 15 --and it does get a little trickier when the kids get older. All these years we've been talking about taking care of our minds/hearts--- and he knows what he's capable of handling and what he isn't. He listens to himself and his instincts really well.

I try to help my kids listen to themselves ... to trust their instincts about things; because obviously I won't always be there to monitor what they watch/listen to or read. I trust their basic goodness, and we do a lot of talking about what kinds of things are 'appropriate' for them at different stages of their lives.

I would say that I'm stricter about media than other parents I know. We don't have a t.v., and the kids watch a DVD (on laptop) only on the weekends. Just a preference I guess...

..Laura

Edited by lauranc
spelling

Don't worry, I am kinda strict too. We don't have cable, but we do have netflix. I only let them have an hour of screen time a day plus an hour on the wii (they got it for Christmas from the in-laws). My SILs were "shocked" when they found out that only allow 2 hours of screen time a day. I am such a mean mom, I "make" my kids play outside, color, read books, play boards ... and boy are they suffering :D

Count us in on whatever you want to call it--strictness, two-headed-ness, weirdness! We are always in the minority among our friends/acquaintances regarding our media choices.

It's not easy for the kids to handle(or me, sometimes!), but I just try to explain why we make the choices we do and to be confident in those choices. I'm seeing the fruits of our efforts in my young teens, who are starting to make proper choices on their own.

All the best,

Chelle

Don't worry, I am kinda strict too. We don't have cable, but we do have netflix. I only let them have an hour of screen time a day plus an hour on the wii (they got it for Christmas from the in-laws). My SILs were "shocked" when they found out that only allow 2 hours of screen time a day. I am such a mean mom, I "make" my kids play outside, color, read books, play boards ... and boy are they suffering :D

Wow, I am stricter than I thought - mine don't get 2 hours of screen time a day! I prefer them to have none other than educational videos.

Sometimes I feel isolated in my strictness. By strict I mean that I censor what my kiddos are exposed to in the media.

Many people look at me like I have two heads when they find out my boys don't watch Sponge Bob.

I am also similarily amazed when I hear some of the things that little ones watch.

For example do you allow your 5 yr old to watch Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince? (assuming you allow Harry Potter at all) I won't let me almost 9 yr old watch it. So that makes me a weirdo.

We aren't the weirdos--Sponge Bob and the people who come up with some of the crazy media for kids are the weirds ones. If THEY weren't so weird, our job as parents would be easier. But I'm not about to take the easy path and let total strangers have access to influencing my children any way they wish. Yes, I restrict what my children watch.

Weirdo here, too! We do not allow video games/computer games through the school week at all. (computer can be used for educational purposes only) No Spongebob here, either. Actually most of Nick/Disney stuff. Harry Potter has not been an issue here. My oldest thought it looked dumb, the younger two have been scared by some of the movie ads. So no one has actually wanted to read/watch it. We're also weird that we don't have every video game system out there (just an OLD X-Box, not a 360 and a Wii), every person in the family does not have a cell phone, etc... Oh, we don't listen to a lot of popular music, either. Even those Kids Bop CDs have inappropriate music, imo.

I don't think you are a weirdo - everyone has different standards.

What's wrong with Sponge Bob, though? Other than it being the dumbest cartoon I have ever seen? ...

You sorta answered your own question. Why would we want our children to watch a cartoon "hero" who is that dumb? Children often imitate what they watch on tv.

You sorta answered your own question. Why would we want our children to watch a cartoon "hero" who is that dumb? Children often imitate what they watch on tv.

Yep. I don't allow Spongebob because I'm afraid of inculcating nihilism. Try that explanation out on relatives/acquaintances and see the looks you get! I forgive Batman his violence despite my pacifism because at least Bruce Wayne has a purpose in life.

I don't think I'd define strictness by media diet, though. I see manipulating the child's environment as a form of gentle guidance because it doesn't involve demanding anything from the child. I think of strictness as having many nonnegotiable, immovable rules and coming down hard on the child when they're broken.

It's true everyone has different standards. The point is that you care and are willing to make difficult decisions for the sake of your kid's best interests. That is so much more then many parents are willing to do. So, it's great that you have restrictions and such, not weird!

We do not watch TV at all, don't have cable or satelite and only watch movies on weekends. But we did have it in years past and I have to say, we ALL like Sponge Bob! It IS stupid. But it's a fun kind of silly, harmless in MHO. My DH especially enjoys watching it with the kids. (in the past and sometime with DD8 at granny's house now.)

We are also Harry Potter fans and yes, my DD8 has been watching the movies since the first one came out, not sure when that was, but she was probably 5 or so. We LOVE them and watch them all as a family. They are probably the most watched DVD's in our house. My DH is reading aloud the whole series to DD8 now and they are on the 6th book.

So, I applaud you for being a conciencous parent and do NOT think you are weird! But it's funny. There are many, many things we do not allow for our kids and also often get the puzzled looks from others, but the two things you mentioned are not among our list of NO's. :001_smile:

:seeya: Ooh! Count me in! Personally, I don't think I'm strict enough, but everyone else feels perfectly free to comment on how strict (read: unfair) we are. Oh well. Its less so than many, more so than some. So be it.

A while ago, we decided that we would quit cable (before this current jaunt into cablelessness) and my dad told me if anyone found out we were denying our kids access to "the real world" (you know - regular tv - I'm not kidding) we'd be thrown in jail. :lol: This, coming from a man who wouldn't let me wear makeup or jeans or shirts without collars til I was 16, and even then, begrudgingly! Whatever. Interestingly enough, it didn't work out well for him, though, because I live in jeans and t-shirts and won't even go get the mail without my makeup. I suppose that is something to consider.

As for Harry, well, we love him. However, I don't know that the scary images in the movies are necessarily appropriate for 5 year olds. Ds still leaves the room when the shrunken head comes on during The Prisoner of Azkaban. But the books - well, :001_wub:.

Edited by LauraGB

I think of strictness as having many nonnegotiable, immovable rules and coming down hard on the child when they're broken.

:iagree: I like this explaination -- I may use it with those who question my "strickness" too!

We don't do any Nick - especially Sponge Bob. The shows on it are crude and teach horrible and inappropriate behavior. There is not much we watch on TV, the kids have DVDs if they are watching anything. I allow only one show everyother day during the week and some Saturday morning cartoons (it's hard to find many I approve of). We got a Wii for Christmas and they are allowed 30 minutes play time on days when they earn it -- no video games for those with bad attitudes!

My family does NOT get why we don't allow much TV time - my parents and siblings ALWAYS have it on at their house. I can't stand the noise. We onced stayed at one of their houses for a couple weeks on vacation and it absolutely drove me bonkers for the TV to be on so much. They even woke up on Sunday morning to get ready for church and watched some sort of MTV reality show! There was so much bleeping noises I don't even know how they knew what was going on! LOL Oh, well, to each his own, I guess!

I'll unite with the so-called "strict" parents here on the board!

You know, I think there is a fine line between controlling an individual and molding an individual, and both would fall under the heading of being strict. I think this is where most people get confused when they freely use the word "strict". When it is beneficial to a developing mind of a child, its not really considered strict, imo, just consciencous (sp?) parenting.

I don't think I am "strict" or a "weirdo". Some people think my children are weird :001_smile:

I have always limited their television viewing (pretty much no tv mon-thurs) and when they do watch it is what they have taped on the tivo. Much of their viewing (particularly my son) is towards what others consider more "educational" but is just what they like to watch.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? No. My kids are 6 and 5. I let them watch up to the 3rd movie, but they were both so scared by the dementors that I told them no more HP movies until they're older. We are reading the books together though.

I also will not let my kids watch Sponge Bob, and the Disney Channel is pretty much banned. I don't agree with the way they let kids talk to their parents, and the acting and plot-lines in those shows are just atrocious.

We're very selective of what our kids watch, too. A few years ago my dd10 (8 at the time) was at a friend's house when they started to watch SpongeBob. She piped up that she wasn't allowed to watch it. The mom told me later how impressed she was that dd would stick to the rules, but mostly surprised that we had any rules about the TV. She seriously had never considered that one might limit what shows their kids would watch. She even asked, how do you do that? :001_huh: Umm...tell them no?

I will say that it has gotten trickier the older the kids get. And we have relaxed quite a bit...which means the younger ones are watching things that I never would have considered when the olders were little. Not sure what that says about me, but in some ways it is less stressful to just give a little sometimes.

I forgive Batman his violence despite my pacifism because at least Bruce Wayne has a purpose in life.

That's about where I end up, as well. Mythic or complex themes? Fine. Beeping, cross marketing, rapid scene cuts and dumbed down content? No way.

As far as strictness, I think of myself as strict. I expect my directions to be followed the first time I give them, not as some sort of exercise in authority, but because we are extremely busy, and I just plain don't have time to negotiate every direction. Reasoned disagreement is one thing, but even then, it better not happen while I'm juggling half a dozen eggs and the dog in a snowy doorway, KWIM?

I'm weird with you!! :D

I love Harry Potter, but my older two first read the books last year when they were 10 1/2. I really didn't want them starting till I felt they could finish - some of the later books have some intense stuff I don't think is appropriate for kids in the single digits. Of course, my younger (8) had to start reading them because then it was HP all the time here - I told her she could read the first one, then the second when she was 9, and the rest when she was 10. Well, slippery slope - she read 1-3 before 9. She turned 9 a few weeks ago and happily started on 4 (which was now the one she had to wait till 9 for) - she stopped reading after a few chapters and said it was too scary and wants to wait a while.

Now, I do have a friend whose 6yo just read all seven. Different strokes!

My older two (now 11 1/2) have seen all the movies so far, but were almost 11 when they saw the first, and for my younger I told her she has to read the books first, so she'll be stuck at 3 for a while now, I guess.

The general rule here is no screen time before 5:30, and during the week it must be educational or in a foreign language (German or Spanish). Hey, the new HP dvds we got come in Spanish!

On the weekend still nothing before 5:30, but then they can play some games (usually American Girl) or watch some dvd or TiVo'd movie we have. No live TV ever (and we don't have cable, so all those Nick and Disney shows aren't even available at all). Honestly, I think the commercials are the worst part of TV.

All that said, I did let them watch So You Think You Can Dance the last two seasons, and even during the week... but on TiVo and we fast forward through 90% of the results show... As my kids get older I am relaxing a bit, but that's because they're older - just because I let them watch more things now doesn't mean I've changed my mind about thinking those were appropriate for them when they were 5.

I probably think my kids could handle Star Wars sometime soon (yes, I know everyone else lets their 5yos watch that too...) Maybe in another year...

I probably think my kids could handle Star Wars sometime soon (yes, I know everyone else lets their 5yos watch that too...) Maybe in another year...

We just started letting our kids watch Star Wars, but 2 &3 are going to have to wait for quite some time due to the violence. I have friends who let their 3 year-old watch Pirates of the Carribean. I think my kids might be ready for that one now, but not at 3 and some series called Rome which I heard is quite violent.

The only live TV we watch here is History Channel. Everything else is TiVo or movies.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?

I also will not let my kids watch Sponge Bob, and the Disney Channel is pretty much banned. I don't agree with the way they let kids talk to their parents, and the acting and plot-lines in those shows are just atrocious.

I'm certainly not as strict as I used to be. My youngest have seen the Harry Potter series of movies (though they don't like them anymore) and they have all seen the Lord of the Ring movies. My oldest kids would never have been allowed at this age.

We are about to get Dish Network--you guys are giving me food for thought. Still want to get it, but I might be blocking more channels ;).

I do monitor what my kids watch. I am less strict than I was 14 years ago when I got saved, but I still am very cautious. Even my 15 year old daughter will rarely watch anything above PG. I don't expose my older kids (ages 15 & 12) to bad language, tea-making, extreme violence etc... Pretty much the only adult movies they watch are BBC (Pride & Prejudice etc...), Sci-Fi (Such as Star Wars and Harry Potter). Honestly, they know why I do it, and they don't care to watch films beyond this anyhow.

For my younger (ages 9, 6 & 3), it is down with anything that has consistent bad attitudes, violence or is just plain stupid. This allows them to watch films like Bolt, Strawberry Shortcake, American Girl films, etc...

We have Dish Network WITH parental controls and we only watch recorded shows. We skip all commercials. We also watch mainly Magic School Bus, HGTV (however I watch out for alternative lifestyles as I generally don't like how that is promoted) and Food Network.

For regular shows, they watch American Idol and Biggest Loser. Sometimes, I even have to monitor these shows.

This is our families standard and it has been a good one I feel.

Michelle

I don't like the term "strict" because in my personal experience the word has had the implication of rules without a sound or loving reason. I had acquaintances with whom I grew up who had "strict" parents - truly, they just made dumb rules for the sake of the rules, and the kids rebelled. There has to be a better description for us "wierdoes" :)

That being said, we have definite rules about media in our home. We no longer have cable -- only broadcast from a digital antenna. They watch PBS and PBS Kids which we luckily receive as a broadcast channel in our area. We get DVDs from the library every time we visit -- they love Babar, American Girl movies, the occasional Disney princess (blech - they are finally moving past this), original Star Trek shows (which cracks me up that they like these). We take them to the occasional theater movie.

They have seen Spongebob, but not in our home. Of course, they think it is amazingly funny...I don't get it, but some of my most intelligent friends love it...we don't make a big deal about it (taking away the forbidden fruit factor), but we would never turn it on intentionally if we had cable. Same can be said for awful Hannah Montana, iCarly, etc... I'm so glad we cut the cable!!!!!!!

I don't think we are weirdoes at all...I think we are all concerned parents who just love our kids to death, and want the best for them! (Even when they don't always understand why...)

Edited by BikeBookBread

I don't think I'd define strictness by media diet, though. I see manipulating the child's environment as a form of gentle guidance because it doesn't involve demanding anything from the child. I think of strictness as having many nonnegotiable, immovable rules and coming down hard on the child when they're broken.

I used the term strict because that is what others call me due to parenting choices.

I always base my decisions on what I think my kids can handle and of course what I want the message to be.

I agree. Our big guys couldn't even consider watching Sponge Bob until they were about 10 and 12. I let them "check it out" then. They were old enough that they watched several times for a while just because now they could and then they concluded it was too dumb.

I'm not as strict as I previously was but I'm much more strict than many parents I know.

We are highly restrictive about media in our home, and b/c of that, I think my dc actually have much MORE freedom than most kids. They freely romp about, playing, building, creating, trying things. They are not "glued" to any screen for hours on end....

I can be *less* strict than most simply b/c they haven't been exposed to all of the garbage in the world at the tender ages of 6, 4, and 3yo and the biggest behavior problems are still taking toys, pushing to get things first and squealing VERY loudly. :001_huh::lol:

My dc are happy - I am happy - We don't want to be normal.:tongue_smilie:

Strict in this house. DS get TV time (only PBS) from the time he finishes breakfast until school starts. Mind you - he must be dressed, room cleaned, etc. before breakfast and school starts at 8:30 :D. Thus, TV time is maybe 10 minutes if he plays his cards right.

DS is very sensitive and he hasn't even made it through CARS or NEMO because he gets so upset when someone gets hurt or is mean. We tried to watch Rudolf over Christmas and oh my, the tears when Rudolf was excluded.

We have no video games in the house. He does have a laptop and can play educational games at the appropriate time.

There is a nice side benefit from curbing the video games/ television. We NEVER have a problem shopping or looking in the toy section of a store because DS has no clue what is popular, and therefore never has a problem walking away from something that he is looking at. We didn't realize how strict we were until we visited Disney World and he didn't know any of the characters :tongue_smilie:.

Mine must be smarter than that!:lol::lol::lol:

Mine don't have any cartoon heroes, even if they like SpongeBob. My 16yo even nicknamed my dh "SpongeBob" because he is a fry cook!:tongue_smilie: We tried to change his facebook name to FirstName "Spongebob" Lastname but there is some kind of filter that won't let you use celebrity names!;)

When I mentioned to my FIL a certain movie that would scare my kids, he told me I have to make them watch such movies so they will "man up" so they won't be "little wussies." Nice.

This coming from the man who wouldn't let his kids watch any TV or go to the movies.

We don't even have TV. :D Very selected DVDs only, and tons of books.

But we do let them watch HP, a bit. Mostly just the first 2, but the 6th one is so abstract for them in its dark parts that they didn't even watch when we had friends over to see it, just kept running through the room like nothing was on.

I'd consider myself relatively strict. However, I happen to really like Spongebob. I honestly think people who say this or that about Spongebob haven't watched it (and I don't mean flicking through for 5 minutes). Spongebob isn't violent nor a nasty jerk. He is actually a pretty nice character. It really is one of the better cartoons out there. And it is way less violent than much of what we grew up watching (Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons, etc).

I have a friend that explained her children not watching Spongbob this way. They felt they needed to restrict their dds access to all cartoons so they arbitrarily picked Spongebob without ever watching any episodes.

Their girls can't watch Spongebob, but can watch something like The Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

For the record we are a Spongebob family, but I seriously censor most anything from Cartoon Network.

I am a weirdo!!! We too don't do Sponge Bob or a lot of Nick/Disney characters.

My son was allowed to read the first two HP books but no movies. And not sure when we will.

Last night about sent me screaming...we went to see Avatar(dh and I) and there was a lady there with two YOUNG kids. Like 3 and 4. It started after 8:30pm!!!! put them to bed woman! She left with half an hour left. I was so mad. but it wasn't the place to go off about parenting....

but yes, I am with you! Super conservative here too :-)

I think my kids might be ready for that one now, but not at 3 and some series called Rome which I heard is quite violent.

Rome is not only violent, but has a lot of graphic s3x scenes throughout the entire series. I was glad that I saw it on DVD so that I could fast forward over those scenes. I loved the series, but just didn't want to see all that. :)

We like Spongebob. If it gets too ridiculous, my kids will usually roll their eyes and change the channel. We don't watch much Cartoon Network, except sometimes when Scooby Doo is on. My kids (and I) like to watch Animal Planet and Discovery Channel. The girls used to watch a lot of those Disney Channel shows, but got bored with them when they seemed to start focusing on the boys being girl-crazy and the girls being boy-crazy. They used to love Hannah Montana's show and music, but started noticing some changes in her that made them not want to watch or listen to her anymore. I was proud of them for that, as it took no prompting from me.

I restrict their computer time, but I don't really consider it to be "strict". I allow them 1 hour a day, after school is done. They aren't allowed to surf the internet, though, and the computer is right here in the living room for all to see while they play. My son has a few Star Wars games that he likes to play and the girls will usually play Build a Bear or Webkinz. They went through a Club Penguin phase for a while (I even got an account myself so that I could play with them :D), but they aren't really into that anymore. I don't restrict their computer time on the weekends, but keep them busy or suggest other things for them to do if I notice that they're playing too much. The girls don't get on the computer very often, but my DS loves his Star Wars games.

I don't let them watch R rated movies or play M rated games. If a movie is PG-13, I watch it first to see if it's okay for them to watch - sometimes even if it's PG. We love the Harry Potter movies. I thought the 3rd one was a bit scary, but they didn't think so.

I've noticed that my aquaintances with kids in public school think that I am too strict and overprotective; but many of my friends with homeschooled kids tend to think that I'm too relaxed. :tongue_smilie:

I don't call limiting the media to which small children are exposed being strict or censoring, I call it parenting.

My husband's family think we are odd. We do not have cable or satellite TV. We pick up several channels via antenna, including PBS. The boys and I rarely watch television during the week. They watch an hour or so of DVD selections during the day. On weekends, my husband likes to watch football. He is pretty good about changing the channel during commercials.

I have to admit, our definition of what is and is not appropriate really depends on how much we (the parents) want to watch something :blushing:

My niece is in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, so I took my 4 year old with me to see it. He was fine with it except for one scene, and we all watched it when it came out on DVD.

I always have to laugh at people who don't like Spongebob. Most of the time they haven't watched it. (Kind of reminds me of HP.) Spongebob is very clever. The cartoon often employs SAT words. I do not like many cartoons, but Spongebob is the exception.

Holly

Let's not turn this into a debate over the merits (or lack of) of Sponge Bob. Yes, I've seen a whole episode. Didn't like it and don't want my kids watching it. The fighting and calling each other idiot is what turned me off.

This goes back to my original post. There are people that think I'm ridiculous (and "laugh at" me as stated above) because I do not feel that a particular show/movie/book is appropriate for my kids.

I have to admit, our definition of what is and is not appropriate really depends on how much we (the parents) want to watch something :blushing:

Ha! That's true. My kids have watched The Office because I want to watch. At this point they don't understand some of the racy jokes.

I don't think you are ridiculous or overly strict. My kids have never seen a show on Nick - ever! After hearing my nieces and nephews whining over stupid, "hot for the nanosecond" toys, I made a decision that my children would not watch commercial TV aimed at children - for the commercials alone. We never even got into content.

My oldest is 16 and is branching out more, but we still do not allow certain video games in the house, despite what his friends have (these are just computer games - we don't have a game system.) We are still a bit more restrictive than other parents (even homeschool parents) about his viewing and reading. Dd9 has seen more things that we would have let our oldest watch at her age because we do so much as a family. However, we do really keep in mind what we feel is appropriate for her.

I think compared to most homeschoolers I know, we are middle of the road, but compared to the general public, we are definitely weird.

My niece is in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, so I took my 4 year old with me to see it. He was fine with it except for one scene, and we all watched it when it came out on DVD.

Wow, your child is brave... my daughter can barely handle the character "Too Tall" from the Bearnstain Bears show....she typically will leave the room if he is being mean on screen.

DD is very sensitive to most things...

I don't allow SpongeBob because I don't like ugly animation.

We do not do Sponge Bob or any other cartoon with rude behavior. Most of the the Cartoon Network and movies like Madagascar and Over the Hedge are off limits in our home.

If I a show or a movie has something that I would want my children to say, then it is not on our viewing list.

We're super-strict around here:

* We don't have cable, never had. No plans to ever get it.

* My kids watch about 30 minutes of TV a day, only PBS shows. But most days, they don't watch any at all. (Although my DS10 was mad at me last night because Nova wasn't over yet when it was his bedtime).

* No video games in any way, shape, or form. No DS, no Wii, etc.

* My 12 yo son is convinced he is the only 6th grader on the planet that doesn't have a cell phone. (He'll probably get one this summer before he starts PS Jr. High)

* We have a strict bedtime of 8:00 quiet reading with lights out at 8:30, except for nights when my 12 year old has scouts. He showers and goes to bed as soon as he gets home.

* My kids get about 30 minutes a week for computer time, only on websites that are pre-approved by mom & dad. None of them have email accounts, let alone facebook, etc.

Having written all that, we sound downright archaic! My four boys spend the vast majority of their free time time playing with each other: Playmobil, legos, or outside.

We are looking for ways to gently move ourselves into the 21st century, without compromising our priorities for our family, i.e. we just got a new computer that will have high-speed internet available for the kids, which they will be able to use a little more, but not hours on end each day.

This is one of the reasons I love coming to this board - I know there ARE other people in the world who are just as strict as we are. It helps me to feel not so weird!

Returning to your original question - Yes, My DH and I would, by your definition be considered "weirdos". I am totally OK with that! :) Stand firm. They are your kids and if you are convicted to protect them from the world then do it without apology.

I often think about what we were exposed to as kids versus what kids see now. It saddens me so much.The violence (even "funny" or "cartoon" is still violent and decreases our sensitivity to others and violence in general), the innuendo or overt images (I won't even go into it here - it's just wrong and NOTHING we were exposed to or anything I want seared into my kid's brains), the materialism, the mature themes. Would our grandparents have let this stuff into their homes? Would they have paid a lot of money (a regular matinĂƒÂ©e movie here is $7 per person) to expose their kids to a "a little bit" of violence. Or violence that "wasn't so bad". Not a chance. Where we have come in 50 years to me is really, really sad. Yes, every family is called to make their own decisions and I am only responsible for the ones I make for my own family and while I try to be as non judgmental as possible - I sincerely grieve where our culture is and where it is heading. It makes me so sad to see parents that compromise the innocence of their kids before the kids are ready for it (whether those kids can articulate it or not). It's just really sad to me.

Anyway - yes - there are others out there. Don't feel so alone.