Menu

New Year's Eve at Times Square - Would you go?

Would you spend NYE at Times Square?  

1. 1. Would you spend NYE at Times Square?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I wouldn't go because I hate crowds, it is cold and my feet would hurt too much. Then about fifteen other things.

Terrorism would never enter into my myriad reasons for not going.

Ditto this. And I don't want to stay up that late! Midnight ... bah humbug. This girl likes to be in bed and reading no later than 10 o'clock.

I wouldn't mind going, as long as I could stay on the fringes somewhere...would NOT want to be in the middle of that big of a crowd. But if I were going to do anything in NYC during the holidays, I'd rather go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I always thought it would be cool to see that in person someday.

We planned to go to Times Square one year for New Years Eve before children, MANY years ago. We purchased matinee play tickets and were going to go watch the ball drop in the square after the play.

Walking from our hotel to the play at around 3:30pm changed our minds. The place was frightening. Police in full riot gear everywhere, wall to wall people. We went to our play and found a restaurant for a late dinner. At 11:58pm the entire restaurant emptied into the street for the ball drop, then moved back in to finish dinner and toast the new year.

We crossed back through Times Square around 1am and the police were very assertively encouraging all stragglers out of the square. The streets were a mess and I was so glad we'd skipped the actual event.

I wouldn't mind going, as long as I could stay on the fringes somewhere...would NOT want to be in the middle of that big of a crowd. But if I were going to do anything in NYC during the holidays, I'd rather go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I always thought it would be cool to see that in person someday.

You bring up a good point. I would LOVE to do that someday. I wonder why I look at that as "safe" and the other as not? Isn't it funny when you don't know your own mind? I blame my kids:lol:

Dorinda

No WAY!!!! We were talking about this while watching the news this morning. I know it would be one of those "got to do it once in my lifetime" things, but still...standing in the freezing cold with a throng of people, many of them totally intoxicated, urinating wherever...No WAY. You couldn't pay me to go. I will watch the ball drop from under my mircrofleece blanket, with the kids in various states of wake/sleep. We're having an ice cream sundae bar here at midnight!

I didn't think it was worth it before 9/11

I couldn't imagine it before 2001 either.

I don't really even care to watch the big crowds in the Square on tv. We stay home, play board games, read and eat together. If any of us makes it to midnight, we watch the televised fireworks display at the Space Needle.

Not now that I have RSD. One bump, and I'm in increasing screaming pain for many hours...and the cold is just as bad.

I'd much rather spend my NYE the way I have the past 7 years...alone with dh. ;) Heck, we refer to Princess as our New Year's Party Favour, since thats when we figure...you know ;) :lol:

I wouldn't, but it didn't even occur to me to be worried about a terror attempt. I just don't like crowds all that much and not too keen on noise and drunken people. We will be watching a movie with the kids and drinking some NA sparkling wine - I am not much of a drinker (family history of alcoholism plus not a good mix with my tendency toward depression.)

ETA: Now I did spend NYE on Colorado Blvd in my teens. We camped out to watch the Rose Parade. There were lots of drunks, lots of creepy people, lots of people selling dope, but we were with lots of families in campers and had a blast. That I would do again.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

I wouldn't go ...

Terrorism would never enter into my myriad reasons for not going.

Ditto. We love to have an early night on NYE to be fresh and rested for the new year. I don't like big crowds, especially when many people are under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

I would go if I wanted to..I have never been interested in going..I have been to times square after 9/11 and it was crowded when I went not like it is on NYE but it was still busy. I am not into all the hustle and bustle. NY is always on high alert after 9/11 so I would think it would be in some more secure than other places.

Terrorism is not my reason for not going. Crowd phobia, inability to hold my pee for hours on end, and freezing cold are why I choose not to go. However, if I could be one of the newscasters on a heated platform with access to a bathroom-sure.