Menu

so my friend wants to boycott American girl because .....

they dont offer an asian doll, not even in the "look like me" dolls. This is upsetting for her because she has an adopted little girl from Korea and this takes any hopes for American girls in her future.....how can she support a company that doesnt include this ethnicity.

Any comments??

Also - Jess McConnell (last year's "Girl of the Year") was Japanese-American and Irish. She can still be found on ebay (and she's gorgeous - she is "my" American Girl doll! LOL)

My mother told me that there was some sort of trouble with the American Girl company not long ago when they issued a homeless doll who was made to look dirty and all disheveled etc. It offended a lot of people. I don't know if this is true or not but she had heard that.

It's Gwen, friends of the "Girl of the Year" Chrissa. I don't know if I'd call her dirty or disheveled, though. I haven't read Chrissa's story, so I really know nothing about Gwen - this was the first I'd heard of her. :)

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/EndecaForwardServlet?dest=%2Fagshop%2Fhtml%2FProductPage.jsf%2FitemId%2F142095&event=topRecordsReport&sku=F9311

Edited by orangearrow

they dont offer an asian doll, not even in the "look like me" dolls. This is upsetting for her because she has an adopted little girl from Korea and this takes any hopes for American girls in her future.....how can she support a company that doesnt include this ethnicity.

Any comments??

Your friend is being overly sensitive. Even had she been correct, which apparently she is not, a company is under no obligation to produce toys, dolls, cars ....whatever they manufacture.....to fit every desire. A company will and should produce to make a profit. To boycott a company because of what they do not make, instead of because of what they make (which may be offensive) is rather obtuse.

Any comments??

I am (Chinese-Filipino) American (I don't like the term 'Asian' as it implies all Asians are the same race and look the same. If anyone calls me Asian, I do correct them as I was not born in Asia nor does my birth certificate say Asian.). My daughter picked a Just Like Me doll that doesn't look like her at all. I finally came to terms that it is okay to pick a doll that doesn't look like you. I remember enjoying Barbie when I was growing up and I didn't think anything of it nor did anyone point out that I looked different from Barbie. So I let my girl pick what she wanted to play with. Someone tried to give me an "Asian" American girl doll a few years ago as a present and I found that I didn't want it anyway.

And, by the way, the Ivy Ling doll is implied to be Chinese because of the last name and so I could argue that it's not appropriate for a Korean girl because it doesn't look Korean. This type of argument could go on and on.

This article was in the Wall St. Journal a couple weeks ago and it made me realize that it doesn't matter whether your doll looks like you or not.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704782304574542112815976656.html

Best,

Louise

I am (Chinese-Filipino) American (I don't like the term 'Asian' as it implies all Asians are the same race and look the same. If anyone calls me Asian, I do correct them as I was not born in Asia nor does my birth certificate say Asian.).

Best,

Louise

Interesting, Louise. My SIL is Filipino-American (Scot-German-who knows what else) and she insists on Asian. Perhaps it's from the misuse and overuse of the term "Oriental".

I am (Chinese-Filipino) American (I don't like the term 'Asian' as it implies all Asians are the same race and look the same. If anyone calls me Asian, I do correct them as I was not born in Asia nor does my birth certificate say Asian.). My daughter picked a Just Like Me doll that doesn't look like her at all. I finally came to terms that it is okay to pick a doll that doesn't look like you. I remember enjoying Barbie when I was growing up and I didn't think anything of it nor did anyone point out that I looked different from Barbie. So I let my girl pick what she wanted to play with. Someone tried to give me an "Asian" American girl doll a few years ago as a present and I found that I didn't want it anyway.

And, by the way, the Ivy Ling doll is implied to be Chinese because of the last name and so I could argue that it's not appropriate for a Korean girl because it doesn't look Korean. This type of argument could go on and on.

This article was in the Wall St. Journal a couple weeks ago and it made me realize that it doesn't matter whether your doll looks like you or not.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704782304574542112815976656.html

Best,

Louise

It's true that Asians don't all look the same, but it is just a generalization, like so many others!

My dh is Asian, as in South Asian, and of course he does not look anything like someone from Japan or from Armenia just to give a couple of examples.

My oldest got a look like me doll which looks very much like her (and she very much got my dh's Asian looks only fairer in complexion), this doll has been passed down to my youngest (who has much of an European look from my side of the family, only she has that golden tanned complexion). They both love this doll, whether they look very much like her or not :001_smile:

My daughter, also adopted from Korea, chose Josefina Montoya. When she is out and about with her, people always comment that the doll looks exactly like her (big brown eyes and loooong black braids). She chose Josefina because she thought she was a pretty doll, not because she looked like her.

I was just now looking at the AG site and dd asked why (it is Christmas, after all). I told her that another mom was upset because there wasn't an AG doll that looked like her daughter. My dd said, "what does she look? If you can describe her, maybe I can find a doll that looks like her." She also said, "If she can't find a doll that looks like her, I'll bet she can find another pretty doll she'd like." Outta the mouths of babes.......

"I finally came to terms that it is okay to pick a doll that doesn't look like you.":iagree:

My daughter (fair skin freckles, light brown hair) had a favorite dolly for about a year that was african skin/hair. Alas, dolly fell off the shelf and broke.. (china doll)

Nothing wrong with a doll that it different from you.. :-D

"I finally came to terms that it is okay to pick a doll that doesn't look like you.":iagree:

My daughter (fair skin freckles, light brown hair) had a favorite dolly for about a year that was african skin/hair. Alas, dolly fell off the shelf and broke.. (china doll)

Nothing wrong with a doll that it different from you.. :-D

My dd (now 16) chose the Bitty Baby that was slated as "african american"; when grandma wanted to buy her another one, she chose the bitty described as asian. My other dd, 15 now, chose the caucasion/blond hair/blue eye doll. Now that they have outgrown all these dolls, my 5 yo plays with them. She is our only blond with blue eyes...and her favorite doll is the Bitty with straight hair and almond eyes. I'm glad my girls thought they were all beautiful. :001_smile:

I can see wanting to honor the appearance of a child I was adopting, especially if we didn't look a thing alike. If we looked radically different, it might obtain special significance; it might seem to help her feel not so isolated in the family or something, maybe?

My daughters, who have pale skin and blue eyes, used to fight over the dark-skinned Barbies they owned.

I remember in a class in college, they were going on and on about reading authors who were like you. I raised my hand and said that the author that had touched me most deeply was Kafka, a Jewish male who grew up in Europe, whereas I was a Catholic girl from the suburbs of America. I would hate to be limited to reading books written by somebody like me.

Any comments??

My comment is that I'm glad I had boys.

Yes, Ivy Ling in the permanent/historical collection is Chinese-American (you can even buy her Chinese New Year dress), there are Asian (almond eyes, dark staight hair) dolls in the Just Like Me and Bitty collections - with the Just Like Me you can even vary the skin tone and hair type with the eyes, and one of the Doll of the Year's friend dolls this year is Indian American, I believe (as someone said, there's not just one kind of "Asian" :)).

But I also agree that a doll doesn't necessarily have to look like the kid (although I can see how it would be nice to have at least one that's in the ballpark). My one blonde blue-eyed dd's favorite doll is Kaya. We also have Addy (who was begged for by another dd).

I think some girls are more easily influenced by other people's idea of beauty (media, friends, dolls) and use those ideas as a measuring stick. Unfortunately I think my dd is one of those. She has a number of friends who think that the blue-eyed blonde dolls are the prettiest.

I am trying to get her to see that brown eyes and freckles are beautiful because I want HER to feel beautiful. I don't want her to feel that she doesn't measure up to society's idea of beauty.

She has said that she wished she had blue eyes... I always tell her that I just LOVE her eyes because they remind me of pools of my favorite candy (chocolate).

*I* think that having a doll with her features shows dd that those features are beautiful (especially when those features are shared by one of the historical girls -- they have their own book, doll, etc. and the message that they are beautiful is clear).

Dd has two AG dolls that look a bit like her. They both have her hair color, but only one has her eye color. Neither have her hair style. Neither has freckles nor an extremely light complexion.

I don't think a girl needs a "mini-me," but I think it does help build a positive self image for some girls to have a doll that looks something like them.

Edited by zaichiki

I am trying to get her to see that brown eyes and freckles are beautiful because I want HER to feel beautiful. I don't want her to feel that she doesn't measure up to society's idea of beauty.

She has said that she wished she had blue eyes...

Please tell your daughter that there are many of us who wish we had those beautiful dark brown eyes.

I'm one of those who always wished I looked like someone else. Chestnut brown hair and deep, dark eyes (surrounded by fabulous, thick, black lashes, of course!) would be my preference. :)

ok, so I will tell her about Ivy....and let her know about the doll itty baby doll and the darker skin "look like me" doll.

I guess she was disappointed at the "lack" of options for "american" girl dolls.....though (just between us) she is VERY sensitive ;)

Thanks everyone, btw....my dd LOVES the dolls that look nothing like her. She is blonde and gravitates to the beautiful darker skinned dolls.

Thanks everyone for your input!

It always baffles me when people say this. Especially when a woman will say she's glad she has boys or a man will say he is glad he has girls.

Are you just being flip? Or are girls' issues so horrible? Would having a girl be so bad? What about grandchildren? :confused: :001_huh:

I have 1 girl & 2 boys...and I have had women with all boys make comments like this to me...

It is truly baffling.

Any comments??

I certainly think she should not buy a doll she does not want! I don't understand why anyone would disagree with this. It is her right to buy what she wants, from companies she feels good about.

I think she is being considerate to not want to surround her daughter with exclusively blonde, blue-eyed dolls.

Anyway apparently "Jess Akiki McConnell" was a biracial (Irish/Japanese) American girl doll, and supposedly can be found on ebay.

You can customize My Twinn dolls (expensive, but you do get to choose every detail). The Snap N Style dolls that come in many "looks" and have outfits (maybe she'd like Erika or Linh). There are the Karito Kids. And a coming mixed Barbie-doll-type line.

It always baffles me when people say this. Especially when a woman will say she's glad she has boys or a man will say he is glad he has girls.

Are you just being flip? Or are girls' issues so horrible? Would having a girl be so bad? What about grandchildren? :confused: :001_huh:

I have 1 girl & 2 boys...and I have had women with all boys make comments like this to me...

It is truly baffling.

On this, boys are easier. They don't choose dolls based on if they look "like me" or not. Give them a good guy and a bad action figure to fight each other and they are good to go. No spending $95.00 every so often on a new doll. :D

She has said that she wished she had blue eyes... I always tell her that I just LOVE her eyes because they remind me of pools of my favorite candy (chocolate).

I have dark hair and dark eyes and always wanted blue eyes also. Everyone in my family has the same dark eyes and hair. I married into a family of blondes with blue eyes and they always comment on how much they LOVE my eyes and hair :001_smile:

You can customize My Twinn dolls (expensive, but you do get to choose every detail). The Snap N Style dolls that come in many "looks" and have outfits (maybe she'd like Erika or Linh). There are the Karito Kids. And a coming mixed Barbie-doll-type line.

I just saw the Karito Kids listed in the Tuesday Morning discount store flyer http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/indexCatalogOn.asp I don't know if the flyer for specific areas is on the website.

She might also like the Asia For Kids catalog http://www.afk.com/ which has materials, books, toys, dolls, language resources, etc, related to a variety of Asian cultures. She could get Korean hanbok for Barbies, Korean paper dolls, Korean dolls, Korean language books and materials, Korean angel Christmas ornaments, etc. There's a South Asian Barbie-style doll called Yue-Sai. Kmart has a couple of Barbie style dolls in their store brand (I think) line that look more Japanese/North Asian? (as opposed to South Asian like Indian, Thai, etc). Of course there are the various international Barbies.

She can also find someone online who makes about any kind of outfit for the AG size dolls that she wants, including Korean traditional hanbok. http://www.amazon.com/Korean-Hanbok-Christmas-festive-American/dp/B000HAQLHE is one example.

My dd doesn't seem to care about eye and skin color. For her it's all about the clothes. Gotta look fabulous baby! ;)

I have dark eyes and auburn hair and always wished for flaming red hair and emerald green eyes. Wasn't that the heroine from Lion of Ireland? I read that in my early teens and I'm pretty sure that's where that wish came from!

My dd had very "bleh" eyes for a long time and to be honest I was kind of worried about it. Take my dark brown and mix in dh's stormy grey/blue and you get...mud. But by 5yo old or so they have turned into the loveliest hazel and they are just like her grandmother. :D

I think maybe I'll boycott Southern Comfort Egg Nog because it doesn't come in a gallon jug. :glare:

Honestly, sometimes we don't even realize how blessed we are. "Everything's amazing, and nobody's happy." To get upset with a company that produces expensive toys, to the point of boycotting the company, because they don't (yet) make exactly the toy you want, is silly and absurd.

I certainly think she should not buy a doll she does not want! I don't understand why anyone would disagree with this. It is her right to buy what she wants, from companies she feels good about.

I think she is being considerate to not want to surround her daughter with exclusively blonde, blue-eyed dolls.

Anyway apparently "Jess Akiki McConnell" was a biracial (Irish/Japanese) American girl doll, and supposedly can be found on ebay.

LOVE THIS IDEA ABOUT THE MIXES!!!! My neice is mixed and would adore this!

Here are just some of the dolls (you'll see there's a baby, toddlers, and full-sized American Girls) that have Asian features. There are limitations -- when the dolls first came out, they all had identical faces and only the hair and eye-color changed, and even now there are only a couple of variations in facial features -- but if one were looking for an Asian-looking doll, it's certainly possible to find one (or even several to pick from at AG). I appreciated that they carry a variety of skin tones with various hair textures and styles. Almost 20 years ago, when my sister was an infant, we couldn't find any dolls with coloring similar to hers. AG's Josefina was the first doll we found who really looked like her. Now the Just Like You dolls come with so many skin tones and hair types...

Oddly enough, lol, there's not a pale skinned, freckly, brown-haired, brown-eyed doll like my dd. ;) She seems perfectly happy to have dolls she thinks are pretty and that don't look just like her. ;)

F8866_main_3.jpg

F7128_main_3.jpg

F9163_main_8.jpg

F9478_main_3.jpg

F8898_main_3.jpg

F8908_main_3.jpg

Edited by abbeyej

I think maybe I'll boycott Southern Comfort Egg Nog because it doesn't come in a gallon jug. :glare:

Honestly, sometimes we don't even realize how blessed we are. "Everything's amazing, and nobody's happy." To get upset with a company that produces expensive toys, to the point of boycotting the company, because they don't (yet) make exactly the toy you want, is silly and absurd.

:iagree: I just watched the video -- thanks for sharing. Very insightful guy...

I'm going to assume that you did not mean this to be insulting, but you should be aware that it is. I'm sure you were only joking, but it's hurtful when people imply that raising a daughter just isn't worth the hassle.

I'm going to assume that you did not mean this to be insulting, but you should be aware that it is. I'm sure you were only joking, but it's hurtful when people imply that raising a daughter just isn't worth the hassle.

:001_huh: Please - you must be looking for an issue to debate or to start a conflict.

I am a girl. I was not offended. It was a joke& rather funny b/c the debate about the dolls would NOT involve boys and she can escape this bout of foolishness over hair & eye color in dolls that this woman has/had.... nothing anti-girl at all.

:ohmy: How did we all get so hyper-sensitive over everything? You do not have to assume it was insulting at all... it was what used to be called light humor.

Again, I am a girl.;)

Maybe someone will get a chuckle out of this:

(A little background) My children are adopted bio-sibs, white bm, black bf. Oldest came home at age 11 months, the other two at 2.5 and 15 months. All three of my dc have lovely brown skin ranging from shades of creamy chocolate, to toasted brown sugar. Oldest is the darkest and when she gets her summer color, she turns a gorgeous shade of dark chocolate.

On our first Thanksgiving as a family, oldest dd's lovely foster mommy called to say they would be in town for the holiday and could they bring by dd's Christmas present. Since we wouldn't be home ourselves, we arranged for them to leave it on our covered front porch. We were stunned to arrive home and find a lawn garbage bag on the porch filled with 13 or 14 wrapped gifts! Fast forward to Christmas morning where we open the first gift and find a sweet Black baby doll. Next gift, another, next gift a set of triplets, all Black, and so on. Every single gift except one which was a book, was a Black or Brown baby doll! We were amazed at our friend's generosity, but curious as to why so many dolls and all ethnic. When we called fm to thank her, she laughed and confessed. Apparently when she went to buy our girl a dolly for Christmas, she wanted to get her a Black one, but there were so many cute ones that she couldn't decide, so she bought them all! We still laugh about that memory today and funnier still, our sweet "Brown Sugar Angel" went on to become our "baby doll" girl. She loved, loved, loved all her babies and didn't put them away for good until about age 11. Now they are waiting in storage for her own little girl. Her "family" reflected ours, some Brown, some Black, some "Pink" like Mom and Dad. She now has a strong and healthy view of herself, including her looks and her mixed ethnicity. I can honestly say, she loved her dolly's because they were babies to her, color didn't matter one whit.

Oh and at 14 she is an in-demand babysitter, loves children, has a once a week part time job as a grandma's helper and wants to grow up and work with children. So I guess fm's gift really did influenced her. LOL

Edited by JustGin

:001_huh: Please - you must be looking for an issue to debate or to start a conflict.

I am a girl. I was not offended. It was a joke& rather funny b/c the debate about the dolls would NOT involve boys and she can escape this bout of foolishness over hair & eye color in dolls that this woman has/had.... nothing anti-girl at all.

:ohmy: How did we all get so hyper-sensitive over everything? You do not have to assume it was insulting at all... it was what used to be called light humor.

Again, I am a girl.;)

It is a comment I've heard time & again from women with only boys....on the internet, it is hard to judge tone....but in IRL, it is not said with a joking tone.

It is a comment I've heard time & again from women with only boys....on the internet, it is hard to judge tone....but in IRL, it is not said with a joking tone.

Exactly. I've had people make some very insulting, unwarranted, and tacky comments EVEN IN FRONT OF MY DAUGHTER. And they were not joking. I was assuming the pp was joking, and said so very plainly. I was not looking for a debate, but I will admit to being thin-skinned on this. These kind of jokes aren't so amusing when you've encountered people who really do have the attitude that girls aren't worth it.

people who really do have the attitude that girls aren't worth it.

I have said it before, but not with the implication that 'girls aren't worth it'.

It has nothing to do with my opinion on the value of the girl, rather my relief to not have to worry about all the 'stuff' that appears to go along with having a girl.

My boys are simple. Books. Jeans without holes in the knees. Sweatshirts and tee shirts. Legos. Space to run. Food.

I like simple.

Exactly. I've had people make some very insulting, unwarranted, and tacky comments EVEN IN FRONT OF MY DAUGHTER. And they were not joking. I was assuming the pp was joking, and said so very plainly. I was not looking for a debate, but I will admit to being thin-skinned on this. These kind of jokes aren't so amusing when you've encountered people who really do have the attitude that girls aren't worth it.

:grouphug:

I have said it before, but not with the implication that 'girls aren't worth it'.

It has nothing to do with my opinion on the value of the girl, rather my relief to not have to worry about all the 'stuff' that appears to go along with having a girl.

My boys are simple. Books. Jeans without holes in the knees. Sweatshirts and tee shirts. Legos. Space to run. Food.

I like simple.

My daughter is simple.

Books. Leggings and T-shirts. Dolls. Walking the dog & riding her bike. Long, straight hair and no make-up. She's in 10th gr., too.

I like simple.

Concur.

There is nothing that I would not do for my daughter and there is no difference between the love I have for her and that I have for my boy, but there is a difference, boys are simpler. This is especially true as they get older.

People who find offense in the Janet's comment are looking for a means to be insulted.

This thread does not necessarily need to leave the OP too far but I would ask a question.

Your 16 year old daughter is out late at a party

Your 16 year old boy is out late at a party

Honestly.....who do you worry more about?

When they are at that age. My boy will be able to take care of himself against another boy or boys or the same age. Will my daughter against another boy or boys?

You know who I will worry about more.

Boys are easier.

-pqr

Edited by pqr

Any comments??

This is just really shallow (I am not criticizing you, Johanna).

Concur.

There is nothing that I would not do for my daughter and there is no difference between the love I have for her and that I have for my boy, but there is a difference, boys are simpler. This is especially true as they get older.

People who find offense in the Janet's comment are looking for a means to be insulted.

This thread does not necessarily need to leave the OP too far but I would ask a question.

Your 16 year old daughter is out late at a party

Your 16 year old boy is out late at a party

Honestly.....who do you worry more about?

When they are at that age. My boy will be able to take care of himself against another boy or boys or the same age. Will my daughter against another boy or boys?

You know who I will worry about more.

Boys are easier.

-pqr

You have a boy & a girl. You don't have all of one sex and then say how glad you are that you have that sex and only that sex.

There is a difference.

You have a boy & a girl. You don't have all of one sex and then say how glad you are that you have that sex and only that sex.

There is a difference.

There was no offense intended, in my read, by the poster and I have never heard anyone seriously argue that they are glad they only have children of one sex. We have become terribly thin skinned. No offense was meant and even if there had been offense meant......simply refuse to be offended because anyone who really believed that is too stupid to pay attention to.

Edited by pqr

There was no offense intended, in my read, by the poster and I have never heard anyone seriously argue that they are glad they only have on sex of child. We have become terribly thin skinned. No offense was meant and even if there had been offense meant......simply refuse to be offended because anyone who really believed that is to stupid to pay attention to.

In my original post, I asked the intent.

I said comments like that baffle me...b/c they do. If they are meant to be funny, so be it. I don't find the comments funny. Nor do I think they offend me...I guess I just think the comments are not funny.

Sex of a child is a BIG DEAL to some people. I know those who think you have to have a boy first. It is the right way to do it. :001_huh: