Menu

Does anyone just do history the old WTM way?

You know, using a spine and just doing narration?

I don't do well with complications. I wonder if I should just try using SOTW and Usborne as A spine and then just doing narration. Of course I know SOTW wasn't out yet when WTM 1st edition was being used. I just start to get all out of shape when we have to run off copies of things, make things, etc. And since my dc are very creative and have access to a well stocked craft cabinet, they usually make up their own projects.

Another question that goes along with this would be, can I use SOTW and the Activity Book in a very easy, no mess way? Just coloring or narrations? Or would that be a waste of money for me if my idea of hands on, is my hands reading the book?

Instead of fancy curricula I'm just getting myself a new copy of TWTM. I mean, I actually can do history and science their way almost free, with a LOT less stress!! I already own Usborne Science Encyclopedia and SOTW 1, and I know I can find Usborne history used or ask around among my friends.

I think I've been trying too hard to complicate my life. :).

I would say yes... why not? That's more or less what we do at home....

We use SOTW and Usborne as a Spine - I have a few additional books on History (lots of pictures and stories on Ancients) that we use for additional readings or to look at pictures of how people lived.... I have the study guide; and I use it as follows:

1) My daughter likes the questions - and I think they help her with the narration, so we use that.. we do the narration and a timeline (History Through The Ages Record of time Notebook)....

2) Now, I use the coloring pages, she colors them while listening to the reading...

3) We do some of the map activities - I think this help them to visualize where places are...

Now for the rest of the activities (making things, recipes, etc) we do not do that at home...

However, the support group we belong to has a sub-group SOTW Group (my daughter calls it History Club - LOL); it meets 2 mondays out of the month for 2 hours and we do 1 or 2 chapter (we've timed it to cover 1 volume per year - we're doing ancients) - each parent volunteers to lead a chapter, we review the content of the chapter(s) and then we do the activities (make stuff or have related games).

We meet at a Park, the little ones have the playground (like my 19 month old) for when their attention span or the activity is not holding their interest and the older kids do the activities..

Is great for us because the kids get to participate and do the stuff, but like you said you don't get bent out of shape making stuff (organizing, purchasing stuff, etc) for every single chapter... The activities serve as another tool to cement the concepts discussed in the chapter... or for review....

Kate

Edited by shehmeth

I downloaded the freebie SOTW1 workbook from Kay in CA. I printed out the sheets I needed. She had a page for narration of each SOTW1 section, a page for list of books read, a page for writing a summary of significant person (ex: Hammarabi). I wrote out these narrations for my son. I then collated w/ it, the SOTW AG pages (maps, puzzles, etc). It worked really well. She tells you what pages to collate where. She also had a checklist for each chapter:

Day 1:

Read section 1: What is history?

Answer review questions

Narration page: What is history?

Project: This is My Life

Read library books

Day 2:

Read section 2: What is archaeology

Answer review questions

Narration page

UILE 104-105, KHE viii-ix

Activity: a dirty dig

Read library books.

And did I mention it was free??!!! It was very generous of Kay to put this out for use. it was very easy to use. You need the SOTW1 AG to go along with it.

Capt_Uhura

I never do the projects in SOTW. My boys don't bother with coloring most of the time either; I give them the option. They do the maps (which we all love) and answer questions.

We do narration with WWE, so I don't do it with SOTW.

We read picture books and such as well, though, because history wouldn't be the same without them.

We are a very crafty family, so they get enough arts and crafts at other times.

We only do the occasional activity. We used to do more activities with our schoolwork, and while they were fun sometimes, my second grader doesn't seem to need them for retention. My second child seems to want more hands-on things, so when he starts the history cycle we may add more in. But, we'll see, because I find projects always take much more time than I think they will, especially the preparation and clean-up.

We do use all of the maps in the AG, and the coloring pages. Most of them don't get colored, but they go in the notebook anyway, so that when we review, they are a nice visual reminder of the chapter.

IHowever, the support group we belong to has a sub-group SOTW Group (my daughter calls it History Club - LOL); it meets 2 mondays out of the month for 2 hours and we do 1 or 2 chapter (we've timed it to cover 1 volume per year - we're doing ancients) - each parent volunteers to lead a chapter, we review the content of the chapter(s) and then we do the activities (make stuff or have related games).

We have a History Club too. And have always called it that! We've joined two other families and meet once a week for an hour and a half. The three moms take turns reviewing the chapter and presenting the activites from the AG (or other sources). We do a chapter a week, and follow the school terms, so have ended up taking about 18 months per book.

The History Club has meant that we are accountable to each other and activities actually get prepared well and done by all. Each mom has a different crafty bent, so the children get to do things they would not have at home.

The slow pace has not bothered us too much as we're doing literature based South African history in parallel.

You know, using a spine and just doing narration?

I don't do well with complications. I wonder if I should just try using SOTW and Usborne as A spine and then just doing narration. Of course I know SOTW wasn't out yet when WTM 1st edition was being used. I just start to get all out of shape when we have to run off copies of things, make things, etc. And since my dc are very creative and have access to a well stocked craft cabinet, they usually make up their own projects.

Another question that goes along with this would be, can I use SOTW and the Activity Book in a very easy, no mess way? Just coloring or narrations? Or would that be a waste of money for me if my idea of hands on, is my hands reading the book?

I am intrigued. I want the old WTM book.

We will next year. This year I "rediscovered" the WTM science method, and it has been going very well. This is all for my 7 yo. He loves anything to do with making a notebook, so I finally realized WTM science and history were the way to go. Next year older dds will be doing ancient history, so I will start him in WTM-1st-edition history (pre-SOTW.)

We are doing both SOTW, with my dd2, and the old WTM history with dd1.

SOTW I like because it has short stories, it gives questions to ask afterwards, then I can choose what ever activity we like to go with it-- coloring, or a map, or a craft, or none at all.

WTM has some really great benefits too for my oldest. She has a good bit of freedom to choose her own materials. She loves to read and loves teaching herself. She usually thinks of things she wants to do to go along with it on her own. I find her some internet activities to go with whatever she's studying. We print things out and put in her notebook, and she usually writes something in her notebook. It's a great way to do it for her.

She doesn't like to study history in a linear pattern tho; she'd rather skip around to whom ever interest her at the moment. So having a notebook, we can skip around and stick characters into the notebook where they go in time.

Instead of fancy curricula I'm just getting myself a new copy of TWTM. I mean, I actually can do history and science their way almost free, with a LOT less stress!! I already own Usborne Science Encyclopedia and SOTW 1, and I know I can find Usborne history used or ask around among my friends.

I think I've been trying too hard to complicate my life. :).

Remember KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. I'm not calling you stupid, but sometimes the best plan is the simplest.:001_smile:

I've got one and all I want is the brand shiny new version!:lol:
You have the first edition? I will be glad to trade for a while? (I want my shiny one back though!) We have decided to make a version of history without SOTW, (before I read this thread, which makes it seem even more different) so I am sure it would be helpful!

You have the first edition? I will be glad to trade for a while? (I want my shiny one back though!) We have decided to make a version of history without SOTW, (before I read this thread, which makes it seem even more different) so I am sure it would be helpful!

I'd be happy to trade for a bit, but I live in Thailand (for now :)), so it would cost an arm and part of a leg to ship ;). Besides I'm going to get my shiny new copy when we go back to the states next year, gives me something to look forward to :D. That said, if you have any questions about the old version, email me, I'd be happy to answer!

My oldest is 7. I do basic history with SOTW.

Day 1: Check reference map, read chapter, go over review questions, color AG sheet or their own creation

Day 2: Read library pick or 2

Day 3: Read library pick or reference book page

That's it. My kids are too little to be a significant part of the craft stuff. Next go around I will include it.

I'd be happy to trade for a bit, but I live in Thailand (for now :)), so it would cost an arm and part of a leg to ship ;). Besides I'm going to get my shiny new copy when we go back to the states next year, gives me something to look forward to :D. That said, if you have any questions about the old version, email me, I'd be happy to answer!
Oh Duh!:001_huh: I knew that!:tongue_smilie: Likewise about the new version. I plan to place an amazon order after the first of the year (for next year's tax write-off), so I will just get it then.

Could you share the link ? Where can we download it?

I downloaded the freebie SOTW1 workbook from Kay in CA. I printed out the sheets I needed. She had a page for narration of each SOTW1 section, a page for list of books read, a page for writing a summary of significant person (ex: Hammarabi). I wrote out these narrations for my son. I then collated w/ it, the SOTW AG pages (maps, puzzles, etc). It worked really well. She tells you what pages to collate where. She also had a checklist for each chapter:

Day 1:

Read section 1: What is history?

Answer review questions

Narration page: What is history?

Project: This is My Life

Read library books

Day 2:

Read section 2: What is archaeology

Answer review questions

Narration page

UILE 104-105, KHE viii-ix

Activity: a dirty dig

Read library books.

And did I mention it was free??!!! It was very generous of Kay to put this out for use. it was very easy to use. You need the SOTW1 AG to go along with it.

Capt_Uhura

• 4 weeks later...

There are parts of SOTW I don't really like, but I do use the AG for the sections I can take for questions (my son strives harder to answer fully if he has a model to live up to), the maps, and the book lists.

We spend much more time on things like Usborne and

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Stephen-Biestys-Cross-Sections-Biesty/dp/1564584674/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260723593&sr=1-2-spell

looking and talking and relating what we see to what we read about. We do a narration if he is inclined, but we do it in our language arts, and also in science. Perhaps when he is logic age I'll press more for narration in history. SOTW, honestly, isn't very outline-friendly, with two or more topics per chapter, and my son has trouble with "getting it all in".

There are SO many wonderful books out there! I try to cover the time period in the year, and the little extra I find in What Your X Should Know, and then just wander about through books that fascinate us.

I would trade for awhile, but you can also get the first edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Trained-Mind-Guide-Classical-Education/dp/0393047520/ref=tmm_hrd_title_2

My ds doesn't really care for stories as much as my dd, so I'm using Kingfisher and Usborne for the rest of the year. I'll be having her do some narration, and some outlining. I'll be having him do some narration from history, and other reading. I think he could understand an outline this early, but I'm afraid to try it since it isn't recommended until 5th grade.

Both will be doing additional reading at certain events. We may throw in a few projects here and there, but not weekly.

and it works. My dc retain so much, and they truly enjoy it. People are always surprised by how much they know, more than many adults they meet. It is so funny to see an adult try to explain something in history to my dc. They usually start off really slow, as if they won't understand the words, then dc pretty much fill in all the info/gaps for the adult and whip out a map to show said adult where this event took place. LOL. I have had many adults turn to me and say, "huh, I didn't know that." Priceless.

Danielle

We are simple here too... I think it's the best way! We use Mystery of History. I just read the passage for the day and at the end of three lessons we do our timeline and map work (younger kids just point on maps, older kids do their own maps). That's it. No projects. My kids are content to just hear stories. I also provide books from the library which they can read to compliment what we're doing in history.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking that I may just do history the old WTM way next year, since I can't seem to find the "perfect" history curriculum.

So what I thought I could do is:

make an outline based on the Kingfisher Illustrated History Encyclopedia (which I have)

correlate a book list (most available at library)

get blackline maps (or they could draw their own)

and then we could do projects as desired.

I like the order of things in the Middle Ages guide at LBC, but since we're not Christian, I don't know if it's quite right for us. SOTW ia okay, but we like some other books a bit better. History Odyssey isn't the right fit either.

I know this is an old thread, but I was thinking that I may just do history the old WTM way next year, since I can't seem to find the "perfect" history curriculum.

So what I thought I could do is:

make an outline based on the Kingfisher Illustrated History Encyclopedia (which I have)

correlate a book list (most available at library)

get blackline maps (or they could draw their own)

and then we could do projects as desired.

I like the order of things in the Middle Ages guide at LBC, but since we're not Christian, I don't know if it's quite right for us. SOTW ia okay, but we like some other books a bit better. History Odyssey isn't the right fit either.

I think this sounds good! :) Good luck !

This is pretty much where I've landed. I'm going to start using SOTW for my younger two and continue with MOH for my older two. We read and do narrations/drawings 3 days/week. Then on the 4th day we do a timeline, simple mapwork (mainly just pointing to places on the maps) and my older two do a little review of the week. That's it. Very simple and we all love it. History is one of my kids' favorite things. At first I felt bad not doing "activities" with them, but you know what... they are just fine and I am not stressed out!

I was thinking of using History Odyssey next cycle, can I ask you what makes it not a good fit?

At the beginning level, my kids are not fond of the History Pockets, etc. I do like the way the program is laid out, so I am looking at combining their table of contents with the table of contents from LBC's Middle Ages. Reading SOTW aloud for HO can be an issue for my kids, as HO jumps around in SOTW (more geographically categorized than strictly chronological), and so many chapters in SOTW build upon previous chapters ("Do you remember....?"), so, for example, if we are reading about Robin Hood under HO's method, SOTW may well refernce something my kids haven't heard of yet, that they would have heard of had we read SOTW straight through.

My problem with SOTW is that we enjoy the supplemental books more!

At the beginning level, my kids are not fond of the History Pockets, etc. I do like the way the program is laid out, so I am looking at combining their table of contents with the table of contents from LBC's Middle Ages. Reading SOTW aloud for HO can be an issue for my kids, as HO jumps around in SOTW (more geographically categorized than strictly chronological), and so many chapters in SOTW build upon previous chapters ("Do you remember....?"), so, for example, if we are reading about Robin Hood under HO's method, SOTW may well refernce something my kids haven't heard of yet, that they would have heard of had we read SOTW straight through.

My problem with SOTW is that we enjoy the supplemental books more!

Oh, duh! I was looking into it for Logic stage and didn't realize that you were talking about the grammar stage. :001_huh: Nevermind then.... but thanks.:lol:

Love the maps in the AG, and the coloring pages are good for wiggly little boys to color while I read. (Keeps them in one place.)

I also do a fair number of the activities: mostly the ones that I think will make cool memories. Like, we made the feather pens and wrote with them, because that is JUST SO COOL.

Some of the activities are easy to do like this: they had a viking funeral the other day where they piled their belongings around themselves and pretended to be dead. Another time they made an abandoned city out of blocks. There was a little prep for the pyramid out of sugar cubes, but that was easy enough to do.

I think the AG guide is worth it for those simple projects, the reading lists, the maps (the maps are great!) and the coloring pages, the narrative ideas and the review questions.

We only use SOTW and books from the library because I just don't like Usborne stuff. None of us ever have.

We remember more of it when it's simple too.

:iagree:

I have to agree. We have done narration all year with K12 history which is modeled after STOW since I believe SWB wrote most of it;) My son dictated his narration to me. I tweaked it if necessary for grammar. Then, my ds copied the narration into his history book. I find it to be excellent for retention as well as early writing skills.

Now I do plan on adding in more map coloring to re-enforce and an occasional picture coloring or labeling though.

I think it depends on what type of learner you have. DD remembers projects more than anything else.

:iagree:

If there is a project to go along with a story, my boys will remember it forever (well forever so far anyway...:D).

I just ordered the AGs for SOTW 1 and 2. We'll finish up with 1 and start 2 next school year. I'm excited to get them!! I didn't realized they contained so much good stuff!!

• 2 weeks later...