Menu

Oh My Goodness!

Can you tell me why it makes sense. I've never heard of travelers before.

Travelers are a culture/people/society that have been in Ireland for centuries. They used to be known as tinkers (tinsmiths).

They are a unique people who value family very much, and marry young. It is my understanding that a big wedding with young bride and groom is very normal.

Can you tell me why it makes sense. I've never heard of travelers before.

Have you seen the movie Snatch? The character Brad Pitt played in that movie was a Traveller. Or if you've read the Wheel of Time books, those people are based on Irish Travellers. They are like Irish gypsies. eta: A caravan is what the Brits call travel trailers.

So, where's the fancy dress?? All I see are some snazzy underwear.:tongue_smilie:

So this caravan...its not probably a Dodge Caravan like I originally thought when I first read it :rolleyes:...is it a motor home or an rv?

It can be a motor home, RV or travel trailer. It's sort of a generic term for any of those.

I like to think of them as culturally unique. It is not what I'd choose for myself as I have not been raised in that culture but maybe if I was raised in that culture, I'd choose it.

My niece-in-law's dad is from China and she wore 3 different wedding dresses...I'd never do it, but I might if I was raised like she was.

My friend's DH is Indian & when they went to a family wedding in India she had to buy 6 different saris. Not her thing but she did it b/c that is the way her DH's family did it.

Google images of irish travellers wedding and you'll see she fits right in.

Looks like the wedding wasn't the only thing Daddy paid for. Wonder if they got a group discount on the augmentation! :lol: (not meant to offend, I've known people that have had them done and support their choice.)

That was my first thought too....I posted further down..... those ain't 16 year old boobs....

Oh and BAAAAH!!!!!!!!! ......you said, "support their choice!" ROFLOL!

astrid (in a funny mood at work today, I guess!)

I was a DDD at 17, so not going to comment at all regarding personal assets.

The dress, what there was of it, is gag inducing.

That being said, as another poster pointed out, young marriages is a part of that particular culture...and I do respect that they married young rather than just slept around and got pregnant without benefit of marital commitment.

Not my thing, but to me, there's something about choosing to marry rather than just live together that I do respect.

I was a DDD at 17, so not going to comment at all regarding personal assets.

The dress, what there was of it, is gag inducing.

That being said, as another poster pointed out, young marriages is a part of that particular culture...and I do respect that they married young rather than just slept around and got pregnant without benefit of marital commitment.

Not my thing, but to me, there's something about choosing to marry rather than just live together that I do respect.

I was in no way talking about the age of the people who were marrying although I did wonder about it. I was mainly talking about the dress. Wow! If marrying young is a cultural thing then I think they probably have a good chance at success.

I'll have to go look at pictures of this group and see what the other weddings are like. Interesting. I've learned something new today. I also learned that we don't capitalize the seasons :001_smile: Thank you Rod and Staff English 3.

I certainly wish them the best. It's sweet that her parents are so proud, not everyone, especially a young teenage couple, get to boast that.

Taking into account what she wants to be when she grows up (badumpbump), the dress makes some sense. After all, some of the things the stars and fashion models wear make that dress look pretty prudish.

I like to think of them as culturally unique. It is not what I'd choose for myself as I have not been raised in that culture but maybe if I was raised in that culture, I'd choose it.

My niece-in-law's dad is from China and she wore 3 different wedding dresses...I'd never do it, but I might if I was raised like she was.

My friend's DH is Indian & when they went to a family wedding in India she had to buy 6 different saris. Not her thing but she did it b/c that is the way her DH's family did it.

Google images of irish travellers wedding and you'll see she fits right in.

I did google it and found an OUTRAGEOUS First Communion! Never seen anything like it.

My original question still stands - where did a driveway resurfacer get 100,000 pounds to pay for it?!?!?!

I certainly wish them the best. It's sweet that her parents are so proud, not everyone, especially a young teenage couple, get to boast that.

Taking into account what she wants to be when she grows up (badumpbump), the dress makes some sense. After all, some of the things the stars and fashion models wear make that dress look pretty prudish.

Yes, what's the matter with everyone? Isn't shopping with your mom a tradition???? It's just a mama and daughter showing off their big "purchases". I mean, really........

wow, never in a million years would dh or I let dd wear anything like that, don't care how much she wants it, unless of course she pays for it herself then we have no say.

Sorry, but at age 16 I don't care if she had every penny for it, that would NEVER be allowed in our home. So she better have the funds to move out as well.

Tacky. But then, looking at the bra type shirt that the Mother of the Bride is wearing....well, the saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree comes to mind.

Of course if a tinker/tinsmith can afford $165,810 (US DOLLARS) for a wedding, well, maybe my DH needs to reevaluate his career choice! Especially if they only work 5 months a year.

My original question still stands - where did a driveway resurfacer get 100,000 pounds to pay for it?!?!?!

Travellers are notorious for having unaccounted for money. Obviously I don't know this family and their character. But like gypsies (who have a similar lifestyle) they do not have a reputation for being upstanding citizens.