Menu

Those planning to cover lots of Math/Science with their kids

stripe

Because I do not plan to follow the WTM's recommendations about math and science to the letter, I thought it might be nice for those hoping or currently working on a math/science heavy (either or both) plan of study with their children to post their plans/path/questions here. The WTM's spirit of challenging young people, but with different curricula choices, in other words.

Thank you.

We definitely have a math/science bent around here. My kids are waaay more interested in all things scientific and number related than history. I try to stock our home library with lots of in depth kids science books that they peruse in their free time. We watch a lot of NOVA and other science and nature videos. I use a textbook based program for science because I want them to get used to the idea of learning science from a textbook/studying for tests, etc. I try to teach math conceptually with an eye towards developing their problem-solving skills should they choose to go into a math/science/technical field. I try to keep their overall education well rounded, but I'd say that my primary focus is the math and science.

We plan to start Algebra early here (6th grade-ish). So I am always looking for suggestions for filling up/rounding out the high school years. I'd also be interested in anything related to computer programming/languages, etc.

:lurk5:

Because I do not plan to follow the WTM's recommendations about math and science to the letter, I thought it might be nice for those hoping or currently working on a math/science heavy (either or both) plan of study with their children to post their plans/path/questions here. The WTM's spirit of challenging young people, but with different curricula choices, in other words.

Thank you.

I'm not sure I follow your question exactly, but my kids are very math and science-oriented.

Science is delight/interest directed throughout the elementary yrs with no textbooks until 7th or 8th grade (depends on the child). ETA: They pick whole books on topics that interest them. They spend 30-45 mins/day reading science from 3rd-6ht/7th grade.

I made the decision to alter my high school sequence of science starting with child #4. My first three all took physical in 8th, biology in 9th, chemistry in 10th.......my oldest followed that with anatomy/physiology in 11th, and dual enrolled for 2 semesters of chemistry at a university. From now on I will have my kids take chemistry prior to biology b/c of the amt of biochemistry in the Campbell's biology book.

My current 8th grader took all three Plato science middle school courses last yr and is taking physics this yr. (He is extremely advanced in math). Our plans are chemistry in 9th, biology in 10th, AP physics in 11th.......depends on what major he is going to end up choosing for 12th grade science.

Math: We use Horizons for K-6. MUS alg/geo for pre-alg/pre-geo. Foerster for alg 1 and 2. CD's new geometry program is my decision for the rest of my kids (I have also taught Jacobs 2nd ed, and CDs Larson traditional geo). I own both Larson and Foerster pre-cal.....I vacillate on my decision here b/c I am not that confident on my abilities beyond alg 2. My oldest used the Larson text and has never faced a math or science class without being more than thoroughly prepared.

My current 8th grader is also active in Math Counts and is taking online courses through Art of Problem Solving. (he loves math)

But one of the most important skills for both math and science (probably even more important than science itself when they are younger) is learning strategy. We love strategy games and play them all the time. I think they build the critical thinking skills necessary for understanding research, etc better than anything else. We love them.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I've thought for a while someone needed to write a book called The Science Centered curriculum LOL. I have a kinder he is doing 1st grade Abeka math and I'm about to pull together my own science curriculum. I'm thinking this yr we will be studying chemistry, Physics and a little physical science. We have done life science for several yrs and he is ready to move on and is requesting chemistry. So far I think I'm going to use Carson Dellosa Hands on Chemistry, some of the Great Science Adventures books, Awesome Ocean Science, Super Science concoctions, Hands on Science Particles in Motion by castle Heights, several Magic school bus guides and book lists and maybe living learning books as well. I think this will last us a full yr if not longer. I'm tired of all these superficial science programs. We studied snow the other day in our latest curriculum and it was about a paragraph long and the activity was to make a paper snow flake. My son said "that is not science!" So I really want our yr to be filled with fun experiements and maybe some documentation and reading a lot of living books. I really didn't want to have to pull it together, but alas I can't find anything that goes into the depth I want, has lots of experiments and is explained simply enough. We did RS4K pre level 1 chem and that is what sparked ds5.5's love for chem. So we are going to pursue this for now. I just remembered another book we will be using. I'm going to use Castle Heights Cooking and Science book. DS is into cooking as well. I just ordered a cook book for kids so we can have cooking lessons. We are even cooking in history and geography too. Maybe we are a cooking centered home LOL.

I'm glad that I popped over from the high school board to find this post.

While we follow many of TWTM's recommendations (Great Books, history, Latin), we have gone on a slightly different path with science and math.

I encourage you to look at Hewett's Conceptual Physics. This is a great introduction which requires only basic algebra and can work in either 8th or 9th. (Google the Physics First movement for more information on attempting this route.)

My son was on Envirothon teams in 7th through 10th grade. The content of the material for the NC competitions is non-trivial. One could work this into an Environmental Science class.

I'd also like to refer you to three math/science threads from the high school board:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9431&highlight=talk

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109177&highlight=science+reading

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82163&highlight=science+reading

Perhaps these may help someone. Happy reading.

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I consider science to be equally important as history in our school. My kids love science and nature. I'm a big believer in inquiry science and have read as many books as I can get my hands on. Of course, everything can't be learned through inquiry science. Obviously, kids can't make every single discovery on their own that all scientists who came before them made collectively, but they can learn the joy of discovery and train their brains to think logically about outcomes.

We're doing R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey rearranged in a flow similar to the sequence laid out in BFSU because I think it's more logical (although not complete enough for my needs). I can't wait for RSO Physics to be released so I can finish those plans! I am pulling together a science lab for the patio, where we can be messy with our experiments. We dedicate one full day a week to nature study. We use lots of living books, of course. When selecting books for history, I'm always sure to include scientific discoveries and a bio or two of scientists. In middle school, we'll incorporate Hakim's The Story of Science series into our history studies. I haven't decided on curriculum for middle/high school but I know we'll do a lot of labs. I can't wait to get to this book! :lol:

My favorite books about science are for teachers.

Nurturing Inquiry

Science Notebooks

Scaffolding Science Inquiry Through Lesson Design

Organizing Wonder

The Really Useful Science Book (because in order to be successful in teaching with inquiry methods, it helps to know some stuff to help you be a better guide)

As always, I've gone on too long about science...and then someone is going to ask me a question that will reveal me as the idiot I am. :tongue_smilie: Truly, I'm just someone who loves science. I don't know as much as I should to love it as much as I do but I just can't help myself. My college job was working as a science demonstrator/field trip lab instructor/camp-in overseer at a good science museum and that is where the love of inquiry science first hit.

For math, I don't know that I differ so much from WTM. As the kids get older, we'll see what kind of track they take as individuals. I believe in a lot of hands-on and covering mathematicians in history (love livingmath.net). So far, I'm loving Singapore. I don't see changing unless we hit a brick wall after a while. I will probably keep using MOTL as an extra, and definitely Life of Fred. I just put that set on my wish list for self-education.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

These are great! Thanks! I need to look over at the high school board more, for my self-education. :001_smile:

Science is delight/interest directed throughout the elementary yrs with no textbooks until 7th or 8th grade (depends on the child). ETA: They pick whole books on topics that interest them. They spend 30-45 mins/day reading science from 3rd-6ht/7th grade.

But one of the most important skills for both math and science (probably even more important than science itself when they are younger) is learning strategy. We love strategy games and play them all the time. I think they build the critical thinking skills necessary for understanding research, etc better than anything else. We love them.

We are a math/science heavy family and I agree with the above.

I need to check out those links that Jane posted.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

I'm not sure I follow your question exactly, but my kids are very math and science-oriented.

I felt the need to put in a "disclaimer" due to the recent horror (or "horror") over anything that's not pure WTM by some members.

Thank you for all your thoughts; this is wonderful. :)

Here's the plan anyway:

Science -

1st-3rd - not really important, nature study, whatever :D

4th - RS4K - Level 1

5th - RS4K - Level 2 *

6th - Oak Meadow Environmental Science (9th grade program)

7th - Oak Meadow Biology (10th grade program)

8th - Oak Meadow Chemistry (11th grade program) - online

9th - Oak Meadow AP Environmental Science - online

10th - Oak Meadow Physics - online

11th - Community College Biology

12th - Community College Chemistry

*Because RS4K isn't completed my second dd is doing RS4K Biology I and Physics I in 4th and RS4K Chemistry I and II in 5th. I hope more will be complete before next child reaches 4th (or I may find something I like better!)

Math * -

K - Saxon 1A, Singapore 1A

1st - Saxon 1B, Singapore 1B

2nd - Saxon 2, Singapore 2A

3rd - Saxon 3, Singapore 2B

4th - Singapore 3A, 3B, 4A

5th - Singapore 4B, 5A, 5B

6th - Singapore 6A, 6B, Dolciani pre-Algebra

7th - online (back-up Dolciani Algebra I)

8th - online (back-up Dolciani Algebra II)

9th - online (back-up Geometry)

10th - online (back-up Dolciani Intro to Analysis)

11th - Community College - College Algebra

12th - Community College - Statistics or other math choice

*The only real guideline I follow is to complete the work through Singapore 6 and work through the first year of Pre-Algebra by 6th grade - the K-6th framework is flexible.

Edited by Melissa B

I don't have a firm plan for ds (or dd2, obviously!), since I don't know where their interests will lie. Dd1 is math-talented and science-interested, especially the physical sciences. While we've followed the basic WTM format for 1-4, we're doing more of a logic-stage approach to physics this year, and next year, we start deviating. ;)

We're going to "compress" biology (a la the CTY Online courses, without the big price tag) and hopefully manage to get FA to do the CTYOnline course for Earth Science. Dh and I both attended Georgia Tech, and have plenty of science background... except for earth science. Oops. So we'll have somewhere between 10 and 15 months of school to do a general/history of science course that I'm attempting to put together using Thames & Kosmos kits, The Joy of Science DVDs from the Teaching Company, Joy Hakim's science books, and other sources. Wish me luck. ;)

Then we're going to do chemistry in 7th (materials undecided, but kicking it up to high school level), and physics in 8th (conceptual physics, probably). If we can swing another CTYOnline course, she'll do h.s. biology through them.

The idea being to hit AP science in 9th grade, and take 4 AP science courses.

As far as math, she's doing pre-algebra/beg. algebra this year. Then she'll do some of the Art of Problem Solving texts, then Algebra II, then more Art of Problem Solving, then geometry. The goal there is to do AP Calculus BC and AP Stats as well.

Very ambitious, I know... but this is already what she has said she wants to do. We'll see how it goes.

Here's the plan anyway:

Math * -

K - Saxon 1A, Singapore 1A

1st - Saxon 1B, Singapore 1B

2nd - Saxon 2, Singapore 2A

3rd - Saxon 3, Singapore 2B

4th - Singapore 3A, 3B, 4A

5th - Singapore 4B, 5A, 5B

6th - Singapore 6A, 6B, Dolciani pre-Algebra A

Melissa's is very similar to what I am doing with my second child. :)

K-Saxon 1, Singapore 1A, IP 1A (Summer)

1-Saxon 2, Singapore 1B, IP1B, 2A, IP 2A (Summer)

2-Saxon 3, Singapore 2B, IP 2B, CWP 2(Summer)

3-Singapore 3A, 3B, IP 3A, IP 3B CWP 3(Summer)

4-Singapore 4A, IP 4A, 4B, IP 4B, CWP 4 (Summer)

5-Singapore 5A, IP 5A, 5B, IP 5B CWP 5 (Summer)

6-Singapore 6A, 6B, Russian Math 6, CWP 6(Summer)

He also does various times/addition/subtraction/division tables daily for K-6. I want the math facts automatic.

7-10-Dolciani Algebra and above, also supplement with Gelfand's Algebra and Suppes Intro to Math Logic

11- Dolciani's Modern Introductory Analysis

12th - Calculus I and II - Swokowski - I'll likely be teaching this.

My daughter's schedule is similar except that she is doing EPGY with Singapore and is a year ahead of grade level in Singapore.

For science, my children attend outside science classes taught by a paid science teacher where they work in groups with others and have science equipment. We have also done Kolbe's Harcourt Science textbooks in the past and enjoyed those.

Edited by fractalgal

My 9 yo doesn't have a great love/desire for math, but she does fine with it. I plan to give her a math education comparable to the honors track at the excellent high school where I taught. I will decide on texts later, but plan for her to have a rigorous Algebra 1 in 8th, Geometry with logic and proofs in 9th, Alg 2/Trig/Analytical Geometry/Pre-calc topics in 10th & 11th, and hopefully BC calc as senior, AB calc if BC is not appropriate.

I don't have science nailed down, but hope to keep it rigorous enough to give her the option of 1 or 2 AP classes in high school. At this age we are just enjoying a variety of science programs. My 9 yo seems to favor the humanities but a strong high school math/science program will keep her options open. My 6 yo is still a little young to tell but she seems to enjoy math and puzzles a bit more. I don't think I'm dealing with really math-driven, hard core engineering type kiddos. I'm aiming for a pretty well-rounded honors-level education all around I guess.

We are. My 8th grader is doing Hewitt Conceptual Integrated Science for a general overview of all the major branches, in 9th, he will do Physics, 10th Chemistry, 11th AP Biology and in 12th a CC science class. For math, we are just doing the sequence Algebra 1 in 8th, geometry in 9th, Algebra 2 in 10th, Precalc in 11th and CC in 12th.

Edited by Elm in NJ

My kids can't even talk properly yet, so this is completely untested, but I plan to use BFSU and MOTL as spines. I want science and maths to be as real world as possible, and very much inquiry based. My schooling was often peppered with "But Miss, what's the point?" questions which were never answered properly. I want the kids to know what the point is and be able to actually use the ideas. I don't want them to be like my brother, who asked me what geometry was and what it was for. And he passed geometry at school! What we do for maths in high school, when MOTL runs out? Well, I have plenty of time to worry about that :)

I like the way these programs have a concept chart, so I can jump around but still keep track and make sure we haven't missed anything crucial. I can review whenever anything needs reviewing since we all know how kids suddenly forget ever having heard of stuff just when we think they've finally got the hang of it! Also, for science, I can imagine repeating lessons in a few different ways over time so I can keep my two working together on it. They're not quite 2 years apart, but the youngest won't be ready when I start with the first, and repetition won't hurt her. I'm intending to beef out both programs with living books and hands on activities, there's a few fantastic science blogs worth pinching ideas from! I like the limited written work of MOTL, but I don't have the BFSU book yet so I don't know what kind of written work is recommended there and need to do more reading before I can come to any concrete personal opinions. At this point I guess I think a collaberative science journal is a good way to record what we do and give a focus to our thinking on the lessons. What do we think is going to happen when we do X? Why should it happen that way? What actually did happen when we do X? That sort of thing.

I also want to toss in the appropriate vocab, because learning stuff is so much easier if you are taught the proper vocab and definitions to begin with! I'm having that particular problem with grammar myself, because I was taught the "lies to small children" version. Argh! And we'll do nature study with a nice Australian resource available. Don't know if that will be done consistently, or if it'll be something to pull out when we're in a suitable place for it. I guess it depends how much the kids like it, where we live and how much petrol money we have to explore further afield :)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Science -

1st-3rd - not really important, nature study, whatever :D

4th - RS4K - Level 1

5th - RS4K - Level 2 *

6th - Oak Meadow Environmental Science (9th grade program)

7th - Oak Meadow Biology (10th grade program)

8th - Oak Meadow Chemistry (11th grade program) - online

9th - Oak Meadow AP Environmental Science - online

10th - Oak Meadow Physics - online

11th - Community College Biology

12th - Community College Chemistry

Melissa -- can you explain why you are going with the 9th grade level of Environmental Science for 6th grade? Is the 6th grade level of Environmental Sci not challenging enough? Are the upper levels of science written at a middle school level? I've only seen the samples of Oak Meadow, so I have no idea.

Thanks!

Melissa -- can you explain why you are going with the 9th grade level of Environmental Science for 6th grade? Is the 6th grade level of Environmental Sci not challenging enough? Are the upper levels of science written at a middle school level? I've only seen the samples of Oak Meadow, so I have no idea.

Thanks!

No, the high school classes are written at a high school level, using high school texts. As to why - I have always had a "13 year plan" for the kids and have always worked it backwards. It changes a bit from year to year, but the frame stays the same. Our long term goal is to have the children take college Biology and Chemistry in 11th and 12th grade. In order to do that successfully we need them to take high school level Biology, Chemistry and Physics in 8th, 9th and 10th. Rather than have two chemistry credits for this particular dd we decided to go with AP Enrivonmental Science in 9th to strenghthen her science credits for high school. This will give her high school level Physics, AP Environmental and college biology and chemistry on her transcript. We chose the Environmental route because our eldest loves marine science and is currently considering that route for college. For the next child we may use other science classes, but with the same basic idea. In order to take AP Environmental in 9th she needs to take the high school level first. So high school Chem in 8th, high school Biology in 7th and therefore high school Environmental in 6th. :)

In our experience so far Environmental is a good choice to enter high school level science. It does not require the level of math needed in Biology or Chemistry. The student really only needs to be a solid reader - reading at a lower high school level and a decent writer able to answer questions in multi-paragraph format and able to put together a one or two page essay in under a week. We chose Oak Meadow because I consider the Holt textbooks to be solid but not rigorous - it isn't Campbell level Biology, etc. They also offer online classes which we will utilize for the physics and AP level and provide a syllabus so I am not overworking my dd. Without a syllabus, I wouldn't know what to assign and would certainly have dd doing too much. I have been very happy with Environmental Science so far, and dd puts it in her top three favorite classes.

As to the middle school level classes, Environmental Science is a 5th grade class and I would consider it to be right about at that level. I hadn't seen RS4K when my eldest was in 4th and she did the OM Environmental Science class - I would say it is a good class and right about at a 5th grade level. She enjoyed it, but I don't think taking the OM middle school classes through 8th grade will set a child up to take college level science in 11th and 12th unless it is heavily supplemented.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!

We love history/Latin/language here, but put an equal emphasis on math/science.

For math we have been thrilled with RightStart Mathematics. We are partway through D, and though it is not as good of a fit as the previous levels we will keep going and skipping some things as they get repetetive. We plan to do the Geometry as well as ds has loved the drawing board stuff. They say kids are ready for algebra after that, we will see when we get there. But we spend significant time every day on math, and check out lots of "living math" books from the library, as well as adding in Singapore challenging word problems. DS was also in two wonderful math circles/clubs that ended, and we hope to join another if we can overcome the conflict with soccer.

For science we love REAL Science Odyssey. We spent two years doing Life along with a bunch of other reading and supplementation on all sorts of topics. We also do a lot of science along with our history - we studied Ancients over the same time and studied Archimedes, Eratosthenes, read about science in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc. We also did some outside science classes. This year ds really wants to do both Chemistry and Earth/Space, he is most interested in the Chemistry. We will alternate days with those, hoping to do some in the afternoons and on weekends because the labs are fun. I have not managed to integrate much nature study but am hoping to work on that this year, and next year he will do a one day a week nature class that runs around 6 hours and does everything outside, hiking, tracking animals, plants, everything I know nothing about.

My son is only 7 so I don't know what we will do when these curricula run out, but I will have a great time researching! I will definitely be looking at all the middle school recommendations on this thread!

- Laura

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!

Thanks so much, Melissa! I appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed response....I am interested in Oak Meadow for the upper grades but it doesn't seem like many use it on these boards. Thanks for your input!

Also, thanks to all who have posted on this thread -- it has been very helpful. My dds are still young, but I like to have some ideas of where we are going -- science and math are priorities for us.

We are just starting (dd is 4) but I LOVE science, and I stink at math so I want her to have a better grounding in math than I did, lol. We get science library books on a theme, read and discuss and watch DVDs or online clips when she is interested. It was dinosaurs most of the summer and water conservation last week. This week I got a few books on the Human Body (kid-level visual encylopedia and an Eyewitness-style book on digestion) and dd had me read the digestion part of the Human Body and the digestion book this morning, asked to watch our library copy of Bill Nye on digestion, and when she finishes breakfast she wants to watch "germ DVDs" :lol: so I am finding clips online. She is having a very science-y day :D. It's not usually like this, lol! We usually just read a storybook or two on it. She's into digestion now because she has digestion issues and learned a lot about it last week, saw the pics of her own digestive system from her endoscopy, etc.

ETA: Math is mostly cooking, Cuisinaire rods, fun books with math snuck in like 365 Penguins, and we play D&D so there's our strategy game angle, LOL.

My son is very science oriented and thinks very mathy, although that is not his favorite subject. Following an LCC approach gives us time to be more science oriented and I think LCC builds the skills in Latin, writing, and math that are important for anyone wanting to enter a science field. So we do make those our primary focus.

Here's what we've done. Our experiments are usually directed by ds' interests of the day. This week I read our science material while he played with magnets, batteries, wire, and makes some nifty discoveries.

I'm also adding biographies and sort of a "history of science" approach our reading. We are currently reading "Chemical History of a Candle" and ds begs for me to read more.

5th - Chemisty (the Elements) program, Singapore, LoF

6th (current) - Science Matters & Biology, Doliciani pre-algebra, finish LoF decimals

There are my plans for 7-12. They change on a regular basis and will be adapted as necessary.

7th - Earth Sciene (using college text, adapted to his level), LoF Beginning Algebra mixed with Dolciani Algebra (2 years to finish)

8th - Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, finish algebra sequence

(unsure of which texts/curriculum I will use beyond here)

9th - Chemistry, Geometry

10th - Biology, Algebra II

11th - Physics, Pre-Calc

12th - ?? (college dual enroll?) , Calc?

One of the things I am trying to do is make sure ds understands the correct scientific terminology for things. I'd rather use a higher level text and flesh it out for him than have him used something that feels dumbed down.

Just very briefly, my oldest dd with ADD symptoms, is interested in science. We have used some programs; these were partially completed and very successful: RS4Ks, Singapore Science. We also have used Sonlight science.

Another impressive program we own is the Elements, this year we are attempting to use NOEO Chemistry. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure I also forgetting about a curriculum that we own or have dabbled in over the years!!

The best information has been from the library and our Encyclopedias. We have done various experiments and hands on science, collected vast amounts of animals: crickets, spiders, snakes, caterpillars, turtles, praying mantis. We grew a frog, watched the caterpillar metamorphosis, planted gardens, watched for other wildlife, listened for birds, went on nature walks, had collections and did artwork related to our studies.

For chemistry we did experiments, read information, drew pictures, definitions, etc.

Going forward, I am unsure exactly what materials to use. But I have an idea of the structured path to follow. For math we are doing TT.. yes, I know itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a cop out for some. But I supplement it every year, and I plan to use LOF alongside it soon. My fifth grade dd is doing TT 7 this year and making excellent grades. I hope to have her in advanced classes in science by high school so that she can do college level science at some point before graduating from HS.

I have some college level science textbooks that I will break out for her in the next few years, we also own some of Isaac AsminovĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wonderful books on the various disciplines of science that are very interesting reads.

.I will be watching this thread for more information. Thanks for reading. :tongue_smilie:

We do lots of math. After SM with MUS, etc, my younger two are doing/going to do Russian Math which bridges the pre-Alg gap with a Russian slant to it, then start Algebra before 12, as my eldest did. They'll do LoF and then an older Dolciani Algebra book from the 1965-1975 years. In addition, they'll do part of Gelfand's Algebra for Alg 1 & the other part When they do Alg 2 with LoF & an older Dolciani. For Geometry, both LoF and either Dressler (a Geometry text from 1973) or a different one I picked up from the AMS (American Math Society) by Birkhoff & another fellow (I think I have that name right.) In addition, ds, starting this past summer, is doing MEP math for a summer math.

She's already in high school, but we're planning for my 14 yo to do Mathematical Ciphers as an elective her sophomore year, since she likes codes, ciphers, etc, and it will get her on the computer for some of it. She'll be doing more math than that, but I haven't mapped out Calculus, etc, yet.

For Science, that varies with each dc. For Chemistry, I love RS4K, particularly the RS4K Chem 2. I'm also a big fan of learning science conceptually first, mathematically second. All of my dc will do Conceptual Chemistry & Conceptual Physics (the college one,) and those who plan to go into the sciences will follow those with AP Science courses. I organize lab times with other dc so that we get experiments done, since those are easily postponed indefinitely. We have a number of science books in the house and use the library as needed.

At some point, my dc will learn how to do Alg, etc, on a Calculator, but I'm not sure when yet. So far dd has only done it for irrational square roots after she learned to do it by hand, but she likes her way better since she gets more significant digits (of course, it's faster on the calculator). I hope to have all of my dc learn to use a slide rule, since that's what they used in the early days of space exploration. Dh has an old one that he never learned to use, but I think it's a great way to help understand modern space history, etc.

For math, we are currently doing a combination of Activities for the AL Abacus and Math on the Level. I like that we can go at our own pace and that the activities are all hands-on. We also do fun activities that I find online as well as using everyday life and checking books out from the library. We might add Singapore Math at some point. I'm still undecided about when or if we will do this. After this we will likely use Singapore or Dolciani, unless I find something else.

For science we are using BFSU and nature study. I use the lessons from BFSU as an outline and find activities from other books that go along with those topics (mostly from Mudpies to Magnets and More Mudpies to Magnets). We also check out books from the library on the topic. When we are ready we move on to the next topic. Friday is nature study day. We go outside, sometimes with a purpose in mind and sometimes not, and any art, math, or language arts that we do is related to nature as well. I plan to add a history of science study in middle school and I'm completely undecided about what to use for the high school sequence. I'll probably cobble together a few different things to make my own courses.

My son is very science oriented and thinks very mathy, although that is not his favorite subject. Following an LCC approach gives us time to be more science oriented and I think LCC builds the skills in Latin, writing, and math that are important for anyone wanting to enter a science field. So we do make those our primary focus.

Does LCC refer to Latin Centered Curriculum? Could you point me to a good source for info about it?

I must say I just LOVE LOVE this thread! We are a big science family and it's a struggle to fit it all in. Well, it was quite easy before DS discovered a LOVE of history. Now with a huge focus on history and science - there isn't enough time in the day.

BFSU = Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Nebel

MOTL - Math on the Level (I think)

WOW I'm impressed with all of you that have kids my kids ages and have plans all the way through high school! This is my 2nd year HSing my 9yr old and my 1st year HSing my 6year old.

This thread has certainly gotten me excited about HSing after a hard week! Thank you!

Capt_Uhura

The little guy is using Saxon and Kumon. We also add in other books like lollipop logic, primary challenge math, and recently the Key to series.

I no longer have a long term plan, because it kept changing! So, now the long term plan is just keep swimming. However, for math I am keeping this (courtesy of Moira) in the back of my mind- http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/AoPS_R_A_Calculus.php

Science I would like to keep to living books until after Algebra 1 and then use some high school texts as spines.

Mandy

Vaguely chronological!!!

Math:

-RightStart

-Singapore Primary and NEM

-Gelfand's books for young students

-IMACS

-Challenge Math and competition resources

Science:

-Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science

-Gail Gibbons

-Seymour Simon

-Apologia Elementary

-God's Design for Sci Physical World

-Snap Circuits

-Delta Ed's labs

-Microchem labs, optics lab, phys lab

-Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

-Zumdahl's Chem

-Other "regular" textbooks and labs from a list I'm developing. :-)

Gelfand died this past week.:(

Mandy

Vaguely chronological!!!

Math:

-RightStart

-Singapore Primary and NEM

-Gelfand's books for young students

-IMACS

-Challenge Math and competition resources

Science:

-Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science

-Gail Gibbons

-Seymour Simon

-Apologia Elementary

-God's Design for Sci Physical World

-Snap Circuits

-Delta Ed's labs

-Microchem labs, optics lab, phys lab

-Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

-Zumdahl's Chem

-Other "regular" textbooks and labs from a list I'm developing. :-)

We are pretty science heavy. Currently working through Sonlight science 3 (biology), apologia elementary astronomy, nature study using handbook of nature study and pocket full of pinecones, and adding in unit studies (particularily for life cycle studies) as we feel like it. We should be finished with SL sci 3 and astronomy before Valentine's day and then will start SL sci 4(physics) and apologia elem zoology 1 and work on those right through the summer. We study science daily, for just about as long as we do history(also done daily). Science takes about 1/4 of our daily school time on our own. After school hours they tend to watch science documentaries(they are on a BBC kick right now), and/or read various science books from the library. (currently dd is learning all she can about hermit crabs, and ds is studying tortoises and snakes to try and convince me to get a new pet). They are also on a Lego Mindstorms team this year.

Math we are not quite as heavy on though we do utilize 2 math programs, in addition to extra manipulative use and games played. Math is an important subject for the extended family(my sister teaches high school math at a college[adult upgrading type classes], brother is a banker etc), so we cover it quite a bit, though it is one of my least liked subjects.

Edited by swellmomma

I am loving this thread. We (especially dh) are very science oriented. I'm horrible at math, but am dead set on giving my dc better math instruction than I received.

Thank you to all of you that have posted your currics or what your planning on using, I have shown dh and he is more pro-homeschooling now (he's always been a bit wavering on the topic).

Right now for math, we are doing:

Rightstart B

MEP 1

CTC Mathematical Reasoning

Miquon Cuisenaire Rods, with formal introduction to come.

For Science:

Handbook of Nature Study

BFSU

Science Class through a co-op

I'm now inspired to try and come up with their curriculums for the coming years.

We're going to "compress" biology (a la the CTY Online courses, without the big price tag) and hopefully manage to get FA to do the CTYOnline course for Earth Science.

Could you elaborate on CTY online courses without the big price tag. What is CTY using for science? What is FA? Hope you don't mind the questions. :) My DD9 is extrememly science oriented and finishing all her middle school sciences this year.

Does LCC refer to Latin Centered Curriculum? Could you point me to a good source for info about it?

I must say I just LOVE LOVE this thread! We are a big science family and it's a struggle to fit it all in. Well, it was quite easy before DS discovered a LOVE of history. Now with a huge focus on history and science - there isn't enough time in the day.

BFSU = Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Nebel

MOTL - Math on the Level (I think)

WOW I'm impressed with all of you that have kids my kids ages and have plans all the way through high school! This is my 2nd year HSing my 9yr old and my 1st year HSing my 6year old.

This thread has certainly gotten me excited about HSing after a hard week! Thank you!

Capt_Uhura

Yes, LCC is Latin-Centered Curriculum.

Here's one link. http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/Latin-Centered.html

Here's the yahoo group for more info on LCC.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LatinClassicalEd/

And while we never have just one thing going on in either math or science, our "spine" since the start has always been Singapore.

For science they're in new editions for all the books except what we're using right now (high school - Science Matters series), so it's not exactly the same, but it looks like their current offerings are pretty similar to what we used:

• My Pals Are Here 3-6 (done a little early and a little faster than scheduled, and with supplementation from library books, TV and other sources)
  • Interactive Science 1-2 (middle school)
  • Biology Matters (this year)
  • Chemistry Matters (next year)
  • Physics Matters (year after)

We're working ahead enough that DS should have time to do some US-based science after we're done with what Singapore has to offer... The approach is just different enough that I think it will be a good idea to end on a US book rather than all Singapore straight through to graduation. But I'm hoping that what comes after our run through can be AP level, and not just a repeat. We'll also need Environmental/Earth science in there somewhere. (Earth Science in Singapore is not in their regular science sequence - it's Physical Geography.) But we're also supplementing Singapore's Biology with SAT2 prep, so it might not be an issue by the end....

For math we did:

• Primary Math 1-6 with Challenging Word Problems (CWP is out of print but I think being replaced...?)
  • New Elementary Math, with books 1 and 2 split into Algebra topics for one year and Geometry topics for another (this year)

All that has been supplemented with a bunch of extra outside stuff, and a whole-year deviation into Statistics.

Hope this helps!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I was wondering which of these you would recommend if I could only afford one. I am leaning towards Science Notebooks, but wanted to see what you think.

Thanks!

The internet was out all day yesterday! Sorry I didn't see this. It's a tough question though, since I already whittled my list of inquiry books down to these. :D

Nurturing Inquiry is my personal favorite, BUT (and this is a very big but for some people), it is not a complete how to. You will finish it inspired but with a lot of questions about how you can make his model work for you, as in how to design specific lesson plans (the Scaffolding book is the answer to those questions, although it's not as inspiring as I had hoped it would be). Of course, you will get a very good idea of how to incorporate inquiry science (and some excellent examples), but it's mostly thought provoking, laying down some philosophy and explaining the inquiry process. I'm not explaining this book well enough. There were used copies for $5 a while back and I'm disappointed that they're not still there. It is a pricey book. I personally think it's more than worth the price. Inter-Library Loan could help you decide if it's one you would want to own though. I would only buy the Scaffolding book if you bought Nurturing Inquiry, bought it hook, line, and sinker and wanted to know how to design your own program. That's where I was. Organizing Wonder is another inspiring inquiry book, though, and would be a good starting place. I might say NI first and then OW.

Science Notebooks is a different kind of book altogether (see sample here--Heinemann publishes all these books and I'm disappointed that there aren't samples for all the books. Usually they're much better about it). It will help you with specifics for getting good science notebooks going with your kids. I would say it's second to NI and/or OW.

The Really Useful Science Book would be my last choice because it's a reference for science knowledge the elementary level teacher should know. You can get that anywhere. I just find it handy to have it all in one place.

Hope this helps! I love this thread too. I always love the science threads and wish we had more of them.

I have two logic-stage kids involved in Classical Conversations, one in Foundations/Essentials and one in Challenge.

For math, we loved RightStart for PK-2nd, and use/have used CLE for 4th-6th.

For Pre-Algebra and up, it's looking like a mix of LOF and MUS. We now school more lightly in the summer, but they do math year-round.

We did WTM Science for several years, then did BJUP Science 3-5 along with informal nature studies. We tried Sonlight Science 5 last year which was met my goals, but is not something I'll go back to. This year my younger one is using CLE Science 5, and my older one is doing a science notebook through CC. This summer I may run them through the Apologia Physical Science labs if I teach that through CC next year (we also do science year-round, but more informal in the summer). Tentatively I'm thinking Beautiful Feet History of Science as family during the school year 2010-2011 because my older one will be doing that topic in Challenge B through CC. Then my younger will do either CLE Science 6 or Laura Berquist's Middle School Earth Science Syallbus.

Beyond that I'm still waffling. I'm not a big fan of Apologia's scope-and-sequence, so if we do that through Classical Conversations, I'll be adding in the advanced books to get the depth I want.

Edited by GVA

And while we never have just one thing going on in either math or science, our "spine" since the start has always been Singapore.

For science they're in new editions for all the books except what we're using right now (high school - Science Matters series), so it's not exactly the same, but it looks like their current offerings are pretty similar to what we used:

• My Pals Are Here 3-6 (done a little early and a little faster than scheduled, and with supplementation from library books, TV and other sources)
  • Interactive Science 1-2 (middle school)
  • Biology Matters (this year)
  • Chemistry Matters (next year)
  • Physics Matters (year after)

We're working ahead enough that DS should have time to do some US-based science after we're done with what Singapore has to offer... The approach is just different enough that I think it will be a good idea to end on a US book rather than all Singapore straight through to graduation. But I'm hoping that what comes after our run through can be AP level, and not just a repeat. We'll also need Environmental/Earth science in there somewhere. (Earth Science in Singapore is not in their regular science sequence - it's Physical Geography.) But we're also supplementing Singapore's Biology with SAT2 prep, so it might not be an issue by the end....

Hope this helps!

We really liked MPH 5 last year in fourth, even though we did not complete it. Now you have me wanting to supplement with Singapore again in science!! Biography Matters and Chemistry Matters looks great, what do you plan to do about the labs?

Thank you.

We're using Life of Fred as our primary math curriculum, with supplemental math as needed. We'll be picking up the Key To... series for additional study. We do math approx. 4 days a week, for about a half hour to 45 minutes each day.

Our current science curriculum is TOPScience's physics labs. We'll be mixing it up, though. With science, it's so important to have as much hands-on activity as possible, IMO! We do two 2ish-hour labs weekly (2-3 activities).

We really liked MPH 5 last year in fourth, even though we did not complete it. Now you have me wanting to supplement with Singapore again in science!! Biography Matters and Chemistry Matters looks great, what do you plan to do about the labs?

There are only a couple biology labs we're skipping, and other than just the sheer cost of things (microscope - eek!) and a couple tricky bits, like making my own hydrogencarbonate indicator solution (found a recipe online!), they're not really too bad so far.

Chemistry, though, I find very difficult to judge and some of the experiments that I do know something about don't look safe for home, and/or use materials that require special disposal. I have a friend who's a chemistry teacher who thinks they "could" be done, but you know... I don't need to make chlorine gas, even in a ziplock bag. So my current plan is to replace all or most of those labs with the ones in The Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments... which looks really REALLY excellent, and has very thorough notes about both safety and disposal. If you're considering that, I would definitely get it at least a year ahead, so you can read through it and make your plans. It's not open-and-go as it is, and I need to sit down and really match up the topics.

I consider science to be equally important as history in our school. My kids love science and nature.

..For math, I don't know that I differ so much from WTM. As the kids get older, we'll see what kind of track they take as individuals. I believe in a lot of hands-on and covering mathematicians in history (love livingmath.net). So far, I'm loving Singapore. I don't see changing unless we hit a brick wall after a while. I will probably keep using MOTL as an extra, and definitely Life of Fred. I just put that set on my wish list for self-education.

Wow.. we are so similar. I do place as much importance on science as I do on history. In regards to math I do follow WTM, and I do agree with placing an emphasis on inquiry based science.

This thread is certainly interesting, and I intend to keep my eyes open (and ears) :bigear:

DD the Elder is accelerated and on the young side, so we've got lots of time for diversions. She does about 15-20 minutes of main topic math a day, plus maybe another 10-15 minutes as part of a daily warm-up. I'm allotting a bit more time for math while she's going through The Cryptoclub, as the process of encoding and decoding can be time intensive. I'm always on the lookout for something off the beaten path.

Completed:

RightStart B and part of C (not a good fit)

Singapore 2A-3B, part of 4A

LoF: Fractions and Decimals & Percents

Venn Perplexors A-C

Can You Count in Greek?

Some MEP units

It's Alive

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff

Currently working on:

The Cryptoclub

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius

Challenge Math

Brain Maths (puzzles, from SingaporeMath.com, we have found a few errors in the solutions)

Venn Perplexors D

Mathematics 6 (selected sections and problems)

CWP 5 (slowly working through the series)

It's Alive and Kicking

various other puzzle books

Orbiting With Logic

Near Future:

Alien Math (working with different number bases)

Piece of Pi

some MEP units

LoF Pre-algebra books as they come out (DD loves Fred)

A Game of Logic (Lewis Carroll)

I'm up in the air about IMACS middle school math program. I'm hoping to use it, but haven't yet set aside enough money to purchase the first few units for evaluation. The downside is homeschoolers cannot purchase answer keys, so DH and myself will each have to do all the problems and compare answers.

Far Future (2 or 3 years, quite possibly bits and pieces, and timing depends on science sequence):

LoF, including statistics (primarily as a teaching tool)

Art of Problem Solving

Modern Algebra: A Logical Approach Vol 1 and 2 (if only for proofs and problems)

Geometry (Moise/Downs)

Gelfand, various books

mathematical logic

business/finance math (maybe only a short unit)

I'll post science later... more muddy there after the next couple of years. I'm getting some ideas from this thread though.