Menu

What's your language arts program?

eksargent

I'm looking for a new language arts program. I'm using CLE LA and WWE. It works, but I'm not crazy about it. (Let me say that CLE math is the best thing that has ever happened in our homeschool!!!)

A Beka looks good. I'm looking at 2/3 and 4/5 grade level. I didn't learn a lot from the website. I did see a few samples. I like what I see.

I'm waiting for Rod and Staff samples in the mail.

Please share what works for you!

Thanks!!!

I'm using Sonlight LA. I've heard some people say that they don't care for it because it has a focus on "creative expression". That almost scared me away (I HATE creative writing), but so far I really like it. My 8 yo dd is using LA 2 Advanced, so I couldn't tell you what the programs beyond that look like. But at her level, she has spelling/phonics and reading everyday. Then the "creative expression" will vary. It can be copywork, a worksheet exercise, some sort of brainstorming activity, or an actual writing assignment. For the days when the child doesn't feel like being creative, they include add'l copywork assignments. I think around 3rd or 4th grade they switch to dictation exercises.

What is your opinion on the vocabulary? I used Spelling Power or Workout (I can't remember) last year. It seemed like we devoted more time to spelling. I'm a little worried about that.

The spelling/vocabulary words are challenging for my ds (spelling more so). We skip the Bible spelling and penmanship. We also use CLE reading and IEW HBWL which both include vocabulary.

I also have my ds write down words he asks me to spell for him or spells incorrectly in his writing. We review them weekly or so.

Edited by MIch elle

I use a mishmash.

For my older kids (6th) this year it's going to be mostly MCT LA - Vocab, Poetry, Grammar & Writing - starting with Town and probably getting into Voyage level. May throw some IEW Ancient History writing in later in the year. Teaching the Classics w/ various books and possibly the Jamestown Short Story book for lit. Mostly we've stopped spelling but I'm planning to throw some dictations from Spelling Wisdom in.

For my younger (3rd/4th - never quite sure where to put her) I'm doing WWE2/3, Sequential Spelling, an outside writing class for part of the year, an outlining book (planned, anyway), Editor in Chief, Word Roots, we went through the Island level MCT Poetry book and may also do some or all of the Island level Vocab book, and Getty-Dubay penmanship.

Last year I thought I'd give A Beka a try-- much to my sons horror and everyone's misery! I'd never done workbook style like that with him and it was overwhelming! It brought me back to my own childhood of busywork! No offense to those who use it, it's just not for us!

Spelling and writing are pretty high on my list this year(seventh-grade).for spelling, I am using a combination of Sequential Spelling and Apples.I started with level 1 (as the company suggests). It's going rather quickly(SS) and fits in nicely with Apples. Believe it or not, it was the author of Apples who suggested in combining the two (she does this with her children). For writing we use IEW which I think is absolutely fantastic! It is a lot of work, but it really teaches writing! We do this with another family, which makes it more fun! Trying to stay on with grammar,we use grade 7 "Growing with Grammar" and for vocabulary we do read-aloud books printed at the turn of the century.

Sometime in the middle of the year, perhaps before Christmas, I plan to take a month or so of going very slowly with the above (except for spelling). At that point, a Progeny Press guide or Total Language Plus book will be a treat.

Anyway, that's what we're doing and have pretty much done similar things in the past.

We pull from multiple sources. All About Spelling - about to start Level 5, and after Christmas we're going to alternate weeks between spelling and vocabulary, using Vocab from Classical Roots 4. This year, she's using Editor in Chief and JAG for grammar, and Writing Tales 2 for writing. Once we finish WT2, she'll start in CW Homer A. Finally, for literature, we're just using a list I pulled together, along with some internet guides for a few.

I am all about Michael Clay Thompson LA. We are in Town level.

However, if you are liking the ones you mention, and are choosing between, it is not in the same ballpark. Very, VERY different style and approach.

However, I am not sold on the writing factor of the program, even though it is excellent. I have not found my magic bullet writing program. oh well.

I'm using A Beka. I started with their K4 program and we're now doing the first grade. I am very satisfied with it, although I am supplementing with FLL and I'm also using Writing for Power to help supplement the writing aspect. So, hmmm, I guess I must not be all that satisified if I'm supplementing so much. OK, let's say I'm happy with their phonics program. It's really good. They boys are reading very well and I think whoever does the graphic/visual aspect of their workbooks and readers is awesome.

We have used R&S since my dd finished FLL 1st and 2nd grade. We are toward the end of the 5th grade book now. I plan on using R&S for another couple of years. I feel like it is very thorough with regards to teaching grammer. When my son finished FLL, he'll start R&S too. We also use Spelling Workout and dd (11) does Writing Strands 4 and Write with the Best.

are finishing up Easy Grammar from last year. I love the method of crossing out the prepositions first, but the rest of the program hasn't worked very well for us.

My 6th grader is going to move to CLE and my 5th grader is going to do Winston Grammar with Daily Grams. Both will use IEW's American History Based Writing Lessons and Sequential Spelling.

My language arts program is a bit complicated.

Ruth Heller's books on grammar and after we read a section we make a colorful notebook page for our grammar notebook.

Montessori style grammar boxes to work with physically sorting out the parts of speech. And then we copy a few sentences and label the parts.

Spell to Write and Read spelling lists. We notebook the phonograms and spelling rules in a pictoral and colorful way. We practice the words on worksheets I made up from the enrichment ideas in the WISE guide and we use spelling task cards. As a part of the enrichment ideas there is more grammar to reinforce what we are learning.

Latin--Minimus followed by Lively Latin. Right now we are taking a break but we take it slowly and I have a reference lapbook for the children to use to help them.

Reading--I use the Dolch sight word lists in addition to the phonics learned in SWR. We go over the words and once she has a good word bank we will start creating sentences. My youngest also reads aloud to me and my oldest reads quietly.

Composition--right now we are working with lists, and copying words and sentences from other parts of our language arts. Once they have built up confidence in penmanship and spelling we will start working with Classical Writing again.

Like I said, it is a bit complicated but it works for us. I needed to do something that would appeal to my visual learner and my hands-on learner and gently guide them into doing things that they have a hard time with. The grammar is easy for them but the penmanship is hard.:001_smile:

Currently we are doing WWE 1, FLL 1, and will be using Apples & Pears spelling when we get through our reading program. (I started with AAS, but it's just not getting done.)

For 3rd grade I'm planning to use Primary Language Lessons, WWE, A&P spelling and Spencerian penmanship.

4th and up I think we will use the Michael Clay Thompson LA from Royal Fireworks Press. I love the look of it.

(This plan is, of course, subject to change.)

We use a combination of LLATL and Abeka. I like the combination of the two different approaches: the straight grammar style teaching of Abeka, coupled with the more creative and literature based approach of LLATL. I think the two work well together. We also do compositions twice a week, and writing in history notebooks.

Wow, it looks like we are the only ones who use Voyages in English for grammar. We love it. We tried GWG for 4th grade (both to save $ and because it rec'd such great reviews), but both dc and I really just wanted to go back to Voyages. So, last year, we did Exercises in English and I just bought the Voyages teacher's guide to go along with it (EIE is just the grammar portion of VIE. VIE includes both a writing and grammar portion). This went well, but this year I caved and bought each child a text book like we had always had before 4th grade. Love it - wish it wasn't so expensive, but I have no plans to switch again any time soon. In fact, I just bought VIE7 used for next year!

For writing and composition we use IEW SWI B. This is our first year with it, after many other curricula, and I can happily say we finally have a winner.

Spelling Power and lit studies based on SOTW 4 lit suggestions round out the program.

Rod and Staff. We have always used them for English and math and love it. I do not use the spelling. She does a spelling list of words that she misspells and of vocabulary words. Their 2nd grade list was too easy and the 3rd was in cursive, which she doesn't read yet. We don't use their "reading" either. We follow WTM for reading (lists from SOTW and narration.) We did use their reading for 1st grade and liked it though.