Menu

How is the education you're providing your dc better than....

Oh, I could go on an on... two of my children did Kinder and 1st grade in ps and were pulled starting in 2nd. (My other 2 kids will just start homeschooling from the beginning.)

The main reasons (in brief) are:

1) Lack of individual attention & instruction

2) Poor curriculum (not at ALL suited for my childrens' levels)

3) Inadequate use of instructional time

4) Unmotivated teaching staff

5) Unsatisfactory peer group with very different standards

I believe I give my children much better than they received at ps.

I pulled mine because of the inability to provide any level of individualized attention. Each of my children learn very differently and each are equally intelligent. However, one child in particular would have endured the "label" and all the other issues had I left this child in school. Both are currently working above grade/age leve (I hesitate to say this, but since this is how things are normally refrered to for easy recognition, I am).

I guess I feel that by providing them with one on one attention, they are better able to work to the best of their personal abilities and potential instead of being glossed over and left by the wayside. We have the freedom to explore thier personal interests, no matter how fleeting they are. I also feel that since we all are learning together, so much more value is given to the whole experience.

Is this the sort of answer for which you are looking?

Mine have never attended school, but I taught for 7 years if that helps. ;)

1. Phonics instruction - learning all the phonograms and how to use them/how to sound them out

2. Individualized instruction - go at their speed, at their level, and integrating their interests

3. Time to actually "fit it all in" - not only the core/foundational subjects like reading, spelling, writing and math, but also history, science, Latin, art, music, PE, etc.; plus we get it all done faster

4. No separation of family time and learning time - they know that we learn in a variety of ways and that we all are capable of teaching each other

5. Plenty of cross-generational and co-ed opportunities - siblings are playmates, they interact with people in our community of a variety of ages, girls are equally good for playmates as boys

6. A lot less stress

1. Phonics instruction - learning all the phonograms and how to use them/how to sound them out

The school I once taught in was very big on phonics, and I once stopped in to observe the "master teacher" in first grade do a phonics lesson with her classroom and my jaw hit the floor when I heard her teaching the kids the phonograms in the word "hit"... "ha" for "h", "eeuh" (pronounced with a blended: long e, short u) for "i", and "ta" for "t"... and when the kids put them together they has the best texan accent for the word "hit" I ever heard! :lol:

ETA: Corrected "uh" sound :) oops!

Edited by babysparkler

Speaking simply of academics? Well, I'm sure I'll still forget a few things, but...

For DD--it allowed us to go faster, deeper, and broader. It allowed her flexibility for volunteer work along with a college prep course of study. It allowed her to participate in college classes as a preteen and to start college at 15. It allowed us an extra year when she got so sick. It allowed her to follow interests, read hours and hours per day, and enjoy "being a kid."

For DS-- it allowed us to wait for him to be ready, to give plenty of exposure, to not stress about skills being "late." It allowed him to go about DOUBLE beyond his original prognosis academically. It allows him to have an individualized course of study rather than worrying what every other 9th grader is learning in science and history. It allows him to have a shorter school day. It allows him to have a part time job and part time volunteer work.

For Goo--We can focus on mental health, character development, and discipline while giving him a rigorous education. He can go his own speed and be challenged in his own way. He gets science, history, music, art, and Latin, none of which is done regularly, much less DAILY in public school 1st grade. It limits his inappropriate socialization at this point when he needs a bit more coaching (this was an issue academically in his last school).

Anyway, there are so many other benefits really. We homeschool because it is an awesome opportunity spiritually, academically, socially, mentally, emotionally, physically, and family wise. What started out as one or two reasons with a 3yo 14 yrs ago has turned into hundreds of reasons.

BTW, my dd and ds attended public school for 8 weeks in 2001. Gregory attended Montessori from age 3.5 to 6 (kindergarten).

Edited by 2J5M9K

The school I once taught in was very big on phonics, and I once stopped in to observe the "master teacher" in first grade do a phonics lesson with her classroom and my jaw hit the floor when I heard her teaching the kids the phonograms in the word "hit"... "ha" for "h", "eea" (pronounced with a blended: long e, short a) for "i", and "ta" for "t"... and when the kids put them together they has the best texan accent for the word "hit" I ever heard! :lol:

:lol:

How is the education you're providing your dc better than what they'd get at a public/private school? I'm eager to read your responses - especially those of you who've had your dc in public/private school.

If you knew our town school, you wouldn't ask me that. It is pathetic at best. In the lower grades there is one teacher for k-3. She is a flake. That is the nicest thing I can say about her. She has been there for 2 decades and she is from one of the "it" families in the community, so she'll never be removed. Most of her students do not learn to read until they get to grade 4. All she is interested in teaching them is to speak French (but this is not a French immersion school -- it is a 50/50 franĂƒÂ§ais/english school).

The grade 4-5 teacher never has time to teach the non-readers to read so they are shuffled off to "teacher's aides" who may or may have graduated high school themselves.

On top of that, of the boys in grades k-5, all but 2 have been "labelled" with special needs. The school gets extra money for special needs kids. Now, why do you think those numbers are so high, hm? I mean, the regular shallow wading in the local gene pool that goes on around here doesn't even explain THAT high a proportion.

Frankly, I think that if I let my kid go feral, he'd still be better educated than what that school produces.

My son was in private school for prek & K. I believe he is getting a better education because:

- A classical school is not available in our area.

- I am able to tweak curriculum to his needs, he's dyslexic, which we did not know when we brought him home.

- He is an active learner and would have been stifled by sitting still the entire day. My dh has a similar learning style and his school experience was terrible.

- My ds has seen his mom & dad in real life, experiencing real ups and downs. It has made us closer and him more appreciative of our blessings.

- He is able to spend real quality time with my dh. He went to work with dh on Friday. I've ran into too many instances of teenagers having no clue what their working parents truly do during the day. Family time is not replaceable.

- I am able to place him in subject level appropriate to his needs. He is not stuck with a certain grade level on any subject.

My ds6 has vision problems that require therapy...if he were in a classroom I don't think I would have caught it, and he would start on that downward spiral... He does not do well with worksheets b/c he can't SEE the content inspite of having 20/20 vision. My momma-instinct in picking currics and teaching has saved him a lot of trouble. Long before I had any answers about his vision problems, I just knew he understood math with C.rods, could spell better than he reads, can read in isolation but not in a book, etc... Now that I have had him evaluated and know exactly what he needs (which would not likely happen in Sept of 1st grade in a ps...), I can help him better starting now (no IEP to fill out, no meeting with a teacher, etc).

My dd4 began reading at 3yo....she picks up TONS from her brother's lessons. She will not fit into any Kindy classroom next year. In addition to just being precocious, she's strong and independant. She really needs a nudge in the right direction and space and time to work things out. I think being in a classroom would teach her to daydream...:tongue_smilie:

I certainly have more time to read aloud...and read better quality books than ps can offer.

My kids have finished school and have been romping unfettered outside for hours by the time the yellow school bus drops the school kids home. My ds6 spent a couple weeks perfecting his homemade bow and arrow (which now actually works - YIKES!:001_huh:)...he builds bridges and catapults...seesaw's and slides and forts... out of nothing but sticks and rocks (and the occasional item gone missing from the house:glare:), climbs into bushes to explore bird's nests, sits and watches insects, and generally explores the world around him...he is free to feed his fascinations with all the books he can find at the library (see previous paragraph). T.I.M.E. all this REAL learning takes time...time with an adult supervising but not directing. A classroom could never give that kind of time and freedom to every child!

Well I could say a lot, but I'll just say this: my dyslexic child loves to read!

Oh yeah, here too!

I dont know though, really, if its better in all areas at all. I love that my kids have read so much including many classical books, and I love that they are familiar with a lot of history. However, they may have got more science in school, they may have done better with a foreign language. They may have developed different passions or strengths because I am sure I am biased against maths/ science and toward the liberal arts. Who knows what another teacher might have done for them?

Dd has developed wonderful artistic skills as a nature watercolour artist, and sketcher, however perhaps in school she would have developed broader skills and been exposed to things I cant even conceive. She might have got into a special arts program.

I dont homeschool for purely academic reasons though. For my dyslexic kid, I am pretty sure that homeschooling him has been the best thing for him academically, but for my other, I will probably never know. However she has had time to follow her passions, and I think that is of immense benefit.

My 8-year-old was in public school for the past two year and is homeschooling for the first time this year. I think the biggest improvement in the quality of his education thus far is that he's actually able to engage with the material and work at his own pace. Having to repeat the same material over and over again last year, so that the whole class could catch up, was actually causing him to lose some of the knowledge he'd had previously. He went into 3rd grade able to do long division and came out unable to do it properly. It took us two days to deprogram what he'd been taught and get him back on the right track. His frustration levels have gone way down, he's happy to sit and work, and he's really covering the material quickly now. None of that happened when he spent all day sitting and going over worksheets!

I pulled mine from ps, and know they are 100% getting a better education now. For starters they have to actually do school. My dd figured out before the end of Sept in grade 1 that if she simply refused to work the teacher could not do anything beyond sending her unfinished work home. Now she has no choice but to get down to business and do the work because I am willing to wait all day.

They get individual attention and I can lesson plan according to their strengths and weaknesses. They are in a safer environment in order to learn. My ds no longer has to worry about bullies, I can properly supervise my 4 compared to 1 teacher supervising 30(actaully his grade 2 class had 32 students).

I know they are learning more because it shows everyday in their interactions and confidence. My ds no longer talks about killing himself because he is so stupid, he is no longer 2 years benind in most subjects, he is learning more and more everyday, something that was not happening in ps at all.

Oh my word. :001_huh:

Hey now, all those Texan kids have to learn to read too. I mean, can you imagine if the teacher sounded it out the right way? The poor kids would have no idea what the word was! :tongue_smilie:

(Spoken as an adopted Texan whose kids are developing drawls even in their sleep)

As far as the original question, that's pretty well been covered. Each of my boys can work at his own pace on work that's tailored to their ability and interest. When they're totally fascinated with something, we can park there a while and learn all about it. Lots more free time to play and be little kids because we get much more done in much less time. The ability to get into subjects that most public school educations would totally miss, at least until the child was in high school and then only if interested (i.e. Latin, art history, nature study, etc.).

I have home schooled from the beginning. I started because I felt that God called me to it. That is not to say that I believe God wants every parent to do so. I continue to home school, in part, because I do believe that I can handle my dd's education better.

I do not think that all public school teachers are idiots or anything like that. I do think, however, that my dd would probably be labeled ADHD within the first hour if we sent her to school:tongue_smilie:. A standard elem. classroom (around here) is about 23 students and my dd would not get the same quality of instruction that I can give her one on one. They also would not teach her the things that I want her to learn.

Our elementary school is over crowded so the kids have to walk to certain classes/ lunch etc. that are held in other buildings or bungalos. It was discovered that the kids were walking from room to room 45 minutes / day - JUST WALKING!

One of the biggest advantages to homeschooling is the elimination of an unbelievable amount of wasted time. My DD8 and I are done with school by noon most days. We get to go riding in the afternoon. Our riding time is priceless to us!

During those 4 hours, I will wager that my DD8 does more actual learning/ school then most kids in an average ps do in a 7 hour day.

Her education is tailored specifically to her needs, learning style and interests. She can skip easy lessons if she understands the concepts already - again, eliminating wasted time.

But to be honest, I homeschool much more because of what my child won't get at home then because of what she will get at home. Our Jr. high is having a huge problem with certain s*x acts taking place in the bathrooms. Swearing and the N word are common place and rampant. Kida are just plain disrespectful to the teachers. I don't want my DD8 spending 7 hours a day in that environment with those kids modeling that behavior and complete lack of values or morals. How could that be good for her?

I think my boys are getting a better education than they would in school for all of the reasons mentioned so far. A few more that were related to the private school they attended:

-The owner of the school was only interested in profit. Many, many of the things they promised us never materialized despite the high tuition we paid (and let's not forget all the fundraisers!). They were always promising this new class or that new program, but failed to deliver on so many accounts. At least at home, my kids have access to decent art supplies and can go to the real town library anytime we want, instead of settling for the sorry excuses the school offered for art and a library.

-Some of the teachers they had were great, but others came retired from the PS system and would've been better off remaining retired. DS1's 3rd grade teacher was borderline literate and sent home newsletters and worksheets full of misspellings and grammatical errors. Not just once or twice, but weekly. She also gave A's that I knew he hadn't earned; that became ever more clear when we started HS'ing and I realized how poorly he was doing in math. He was nowhere near a 3rd grade level in math.

-Bullying was tolerated as long as it was committed by a kid whose parents were good friends with the admin or teachers. My son was the victim of awful bullying and the school refused to do anything about it because the twin bully boys' parents were good friends of the owner of the school.

-They put a huge amount of pressure on kids to achieve higher and higher standards, to the point of sending home crushing amounts of homework. I could still kick myself for making DS1 do all the homework they gave him. To this day, he lists "no homework" as his favorite thing about homeschooling!

There are dozens of more issues. I'm just glad we're out of that mess and have no desire to ever go back to it.

--A 4-yr. history and science rotation

--A self-confidence that comes from freedom -- freedom from daily reminders that "you're a nerd" or "you don't belong"

--An education that depends on Mom, not on the whims of a school board or random faculty members

--A shorter school day

--A mostly neo-classical approach to learning

--An education free of group projects

--An education that relies on the written word rather than on posters and multimedia presentations

My school system teaches

1. Whole Language

2. Everyday Math

3. pushes creative writing very early (1st grade)

4. random spelling lists

5. American History only for grades 1-5

I can provide

1. Bible/moral training

2. Phonics

3. real math

4. Classical writing

5. Phonic/rule biased spelling

6. 4 year History cycle

My dc also don't have to be subjected to busywork/homework, bullying, school lunches, riding the bus and lice.

My kids were in ps through 8th, 6th, and 4th grades. I was mostly satisfied with their education through those years and kind of consider 8th or 9th grade the ideal time to pull them out for our local school district.

A couple of things I had to go back and 'fix' based on their public education were in the math realm. My then 7th grader had no clue how to do fractions without a calculator... and my then 5th grader had no clue on 'basic' math (6x7, 7x8, etc) without one. The math curriculum and calculator usage had changed between my oldest and the other two.

I work in our local public high school (sub teach math/science), and have for the past 10 - 11 years, so I've seen the decline happening there. I knew I wanted mine out as soon as the oldest would have been there - and I've never regretted my decision. We pulled all three out at the same time for ease.

As for the differences?

- Mine still love to learn. The vast majority of their ps peers want to do as little as possible to get by. They know they'll get a decent grade anyway.

- Mine have a flexibility in courses - can take Marine Bio or World Lit (non-European) - there they couldn't have.

- I don't have kids swearing in class at home.

- At home they can take as long (or short) of a time as they need to understand something. Ps is rigid.

- We can cover all of a textbook (since I feel what is at the end is equally as important as what is at the beginning). Ps rarely gets halfway.

I'm sure there are other differences, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. For what it's worth, when I began I brought home ps tests to try out on my boys - not being sure of homeschooling I suppose. Mine always did well. Their ps peers generally didn't. My oldest got the second highest score in the school on the SAT. One of his best friends (and a really good student) tied him in math, but did better with critical reading (not my son's specialty). I was pleased with the results.

Math/science is my specialty... I was just in a 2 top Alg 2 classes last Thursday and had SEVERAL kids ask me how to solve for x in the equation y=mx+b. For anyone with the slightest Alg knowledge, this should be super easy. These top kids looked at it and had no clue. There's something incredibly wrong with that... and it explains WHY our school fails being on target with math (and reading) at the high school level. We've also had kids take all top courses, get A's, finish near the top of their class - and have to take remedial classes at college to catch up when tested there.

I don't regret my decision to pull mine out. State scores still show our schools as decent up till 7th or 8th grade, then remarkably dropping... they test for being at or above grade level...

Besides some of the things already mentioned: my school district adopted Everyday Math. 'Nuff said.

This is the math curriculum that left my 4th grader unable to do basic multiplication (6x7) as they allowed calculator use so early! Yes, it was impressive that he could name polygons, BUT...

Very few of our high school math kids could pass a basic math test if they had to do it without calculators I fear. Friday a class had to do a right triangle... and were putting 3 squared and 5 squared into their calculators to figure out what they were. These kids are so calculator dependent it's scary. I've had one argue with me that -2 squared was -4 since her calculator told her it was. She didn't believe me until I told her to put (-2) in parentheses... then she finally realized it really was +4.

one on one makes a big difference for many kids.

I can customize the curriculum and meet each child where they are.

I can move on once a child gets a concept or go back and review something my child may have forgotten from last week.

I am not teaching to a state test to get school funding therefore can teach to my childrens interests.

Mine has time to read, and not the carp they push in her school.

She can do the 4 yr history rotation, and we can give her a world perspective, not just an American perspective.

She gets science and history every day if she wants it (although I will say we are a little loose on science, and her art education could improve).

She can do devotions with me in the am, and have Bible as one of her subjects.

She can spend time outdoors much, much more, as well as pursue other wholesome interests, because our school day is more efficient.

Her contact with bullies, selfish/mean kids, bad language, etc is limited.

Her health is better because she's not crammed indoors with sick kids all day.

Our pace can be more relaxed, and we can do projects that are interesting and informative without the grade pressure.

She can spend time with her dad, who gets Mondays off--they occasionally go to our house down south (we live in a rectory and own our own home about 2.5 hours south of here). Today she'll be working on a treehouse with him in the afternoon.

I can catch and discipline for bad attitudes quickly, and have time to build our relationship.

When our family was going thru a hard time, I could meet her emotional needs. The year I put her in school (last year) we went thru some really, really tough stuff. Her brother ran away and had to go into treatment for the 4th time--I could not be there for her as I had been when she'd been homeschooled. It was so hard. It's better to have her at home.

Dh and I talk a lot about how the history we were taught in school was disjointed and didn't make sense or give you a real idea of when things happened. I love the history we do at home because we start at the beginning, go through for four years, then start again. I'm learning more history now than I ever did in school.

For ds1 and ds3, they would each be a grade behind because of the new school age cutoffs here (August 31st). So instead of being in 4th grade and K4, they would be doing 3rd grade and Preschool in school. Ds1 is so far from a 3rd grade level. He read Harry Potter when he was 7.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I don't know if it is the actual education that is better, but the atmosphere and learning environment are certainly much better. Less stress and more flexibility means better retention and time to pursue personal interests( chase rabbits). My kids read far more than their institutional school friends.

Many of the schools here are embroiled in teacher/ administration politics and have student led mafia type organizations. One teen boy in our church has said how he feels like his time in school is a delicate balancing act, trying to do what is right and not get on anyone's bad side.

My kids always express their gratitude to me after talking to other kids about their school experiences. That's enough endorsement for me. :-)

1. Time to know God...I have learned more about my Savior in the past 8 years than I knew in the prior 34.

2. Concentrated learning..no busy work that is tedious and dull

3. Time to explore

4. Time to be a kid

5. Time to give back to the community (scouting, service projects, helping a neighbor)

6. Time to get involved...supporting legislation/candidates in our state that pushes for opportunities

7. Time to be a family...grow those relationships that will last a lifetime..

8. Time to READ, READ, READ

Many of the things mentioned above have been decimated by traditional schooling...it started with taking recess out for elementary age children and making kindergarten 8 hours a day...I could not do that to my kids.

Tara

Ds is able to move ahead at his own pace. We're a grade ahead in Math, for instance. The grammar and writing we do is MUCH more vigorous. While we're technically at grade level for those (ala WTM), he's far ahead of his peers. Reading... he's reading greats like Chaucer, there is no comparison to the flim-flam he was reading in school.

He's also getting Greek and Latin (classes that are not offered, even at the high school level, here). World history (something he'd only have learned one year at the local ps) is another great thing we have that they don't.

All around, once we add in mind benders, his education at home is well beyond comparison to the local ps. You know you're doing good when your facilitator asks you how in the world you manage to do it :)

Thank you for all the great responses!!! I know I'll come back to this thread often when I need a reminder of why I'm doing this. My sister's kids go to an incredible public school (seriously -the school is everything you would hope for in a ps!) My cousin's kids go to a fancy private school in Connecticut (30 grand per kid per year for elementary!) Even though neither of those options would be available to my kids, it does feed my insecurity about homeschooling sometimes.

My husband knew I was feeling a little overwhelmed last night, and when I went to bed, I found a note on my pillow. I wanted to share a little of it..

"The very pinnacle of my good fortune is you. Above all else, the children are blessed to have you. And if we sail smoothly into our old age, it will be because of you. When our children succeed, they will thank God for you. They are your great work, your masterpiece. You'll spend the rest of your life with gratefulness and pride and nurtured love in your heart.... And when I thank God and when the children thank God, it will be through you."

My husband knew I was feeling a little overwhelmed last night, and when I went to bed, I found a note on my pillow. I wanted to share a little of it..

"The very pinnacle of my good fortune is you. Above all else, the children are blessed to have you. And if we sail smoothly into our old age, it will be because of you. When our children succeed, they will thank God for you. They are your great work, your masterpiece. You'll spend the rest of your life with gratefulness and pride and nurtured love in your heart.... And when I thank God and when the children thank God, it will be through you."

((Swoon)) :001_wub:That is beautiful!!

Wow...that is SO sweet! He sounds like a keeper! :001_smile:

First off, she gets one-on-one instruction.

There's no way she would be learning Latin or Greek anything in a school in this area.

She gets instruction at several different levels and at her own pace, not a predetermined pace.

She usually finishes hours before the school bus returns this way, with the added benefit of no homework in the gym lobby!

And who can beat school in your PJs? :D

It's tailored to their level of learning. They can move forward more quickly, and slow down when they need to.

It offers more opportunities in terms of Great Books and classics instruction.

It emphasizes growth of the individual, holistically. Health and character are important parts of their education.

We talk about really interesting, timely things. We talk about what interests them.

We impart our values all day every day. We are there when something important comes up that should be handled or discussed. They are not left to make important decisions without adult assistance where it is needed (as in, on a playground or in a classroom situation where supervision is lacking). We decide when it is time to let go and allow them to stretch their wings a bit, and when it is more appropriate to give them some ideas about how to handle a situation, rather than things being thrown at them without any support.

It allows them time to pursue personalized interests.

It allows us to give them social opportunities with groups which are hand-picked (virtually eliminating bullying and other difficult peer-group issues, although we have dealt with a smattering of these, as well, to the growth benefit of our kids).

It allows them to pace themselves a little more in all areas of their lives: socially, academically, in everything.

It allows them to have a close relationship, much more so than if they were peer-oriented at school all day long (mine are 4 1/2 years apart so I absolutely believe this would be a huge factor if they were ps'ed); and it allows for a closer relationship with us, and more respect in the parent-child relationship- both directions.

It allows us to decide when they are ready for certain responsibilities, and to act accordingly.

A lot of this is hard to convey specifically, but if you have experienced the things I am talking about, you will feel it in your gut when you see these sentiments expressed.

I am glad and grateful for home schooling them from Kindergarten. They are in 9th and 5th grade now, and I would not trade it for anything.

Well I could say a lot, but I'll just say this: my dyslexic child loves to read!

True of my oldest!

Anyway, there are so many other benefits really. We homeschool because it is an awesome opportunity spiritually, academically, socially, mentally, emotionally, physically, and family wise. What started out as one or two reasons with a 3yo 14 yrs ago has turned into hundreds of reasons.

True, true, and more true each and every year.

First of all I don't know if the education is better than private school... we've found that the homeschool lifestyle is a better way of life for our family.

In PreK through 6th I am sure that what I can provide in my home is better than the public and private schools in my area; however, once my dc hit jrhigh I am absolutely positive that some of the schools in my area offer academic (labs, foreign language instruction), athletic (team sports), and yes even some social/extracurricular options (student govt, theater, yearbook) that I cannot provide at home. However, we have found tutors, sports clubs, co-ops and friendships to provide some of these things and have replaced some things with others that are more important to our family.

But to be honest, I homeschool much more because of what my child won't get at home then because of what she will get at home. Our Jr. high is having a huge problem with certain s*x acts taking place in the bathrooms. Swearing and the N word are common place and rampant. Kida are just plain disrespectful to the teachers. I don't want my DD8 spending 7 hours a day in that environment with those kids modeling that behavior and complete lack of values or morals. How could that be good for her?

Some of what they won't get at home in 7th-12th is also every bit as important to us as what they will get.

HTH-

Mandy

aww, how sweet!

Mandy

For my first one: getting the proper acceleration without having to be in classes with kids older than him until college. Also, learning subjects that wouldn't have been thought in school (logic, philosophy) and more indepth than in school.

For the second one; being successful at home when I fear that if she had been in regular school she would have not been. She had severe spelling difficulties, a hard time with memorization, and a very short attention span. SHe also had problems with reading until we took her to a doctor that found she had convergence disorder. With prescritive glasses and eye training, she soon started reading very well. I figure that in school, she would have been labeled learning disabled. With proper education and medication, she now spells better than average, and is in a honor society and was in the honor program at community college.

For my third; I tailor the work to her interests and thus foster greater learning. SHe is doing two sciences this year in seventh because of her interests and she is also learning programming and design. I doubt she would be doing all that since schools do much more of one sixe fits all learning.