Menu

Care to share any great changes you have done for this year???!!!

butterfly113

What great things are you enjoying this year so far???? Anything a BIG HIT???!!! Please share! :bigear:

We have made some great changes to our homeschool this year. One of them being Heart of Dakota! We are using Preparing Hearts for His Glory! It has been a breath of fresh air! We are also incorporating more hands on stuff, games, and reading of lots of great books! :lol:

We have just wrapped up unit 2 in Preparing and I have posted about it at our blog. In fact I have created a new blog, with plans to blog about our weeks in Preparing each week!

http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com

We made the switch from combining WTM and Sonlight to doing all WTM this year. It's been great so far and I'm very pleased! I should have done it last year, oh well.

Also we've been using Dictation Day by Day (free at Google Books) for spelling. It's to early to tell if it's really going to be all we need for spelling, but we are really enjoying it and so far I think that her spelling is improving.

We added schedules a la MOTH. I had shied away from them when I first read it, mainly because I absolutely don't believe in scheduling a baby or even a young toddler. It's WORKING, though. The kids *love* the schedules, and were upset when Saturday rolled around and there wasn't a schedule. Who knew??

We haven't done any big changes, but we did move up from R&S 1st grade L.A to 2nd grade.. Well, we did change in that we are no longer using their reading just the English and phonics. I think the good part of this is that dd can do it independently. This may be just the fact that she is getting older, plus the fact that we gave up the workbooks for reading. But we look at it together in the morning. Then she can sit and do the writing quickly herself while I work with her little sister. This year seems to be going so much more smoothly.

We are doing reading ala WTM, and that is still too new to call. She definitely has more time to read since we are not doing the R&S reading. But she was always a big reader. I have to make her put down books to do other things!! The written narrations about her books is what is new to us. We only did it for SOTW last year, so the jury is still out. But the English... a huge hit. I love it!!!

My kids are older (6th and 9th - yikes!), but one thing I did *very* differently was to copy the TOC for each subject, put it in a folder with a routine, and go to a "just do the next thing on the list or routine" system. No more weekly grids, with assignments for each subject for each day of the week, that tend to get messed up and throw my whole next six weeks out of whack! Each one has a weekly check-off sheet similar to the system described on pp. 652-655 in the new WTM (ch. 38 - "Just When Do I Do All This?") to be sure we remember to do everything. And, that's it! No more feeling "behind" - yay!

I also semi-adapted the workbox system. I'm really just using some plastic drawers (thank you, Big Lots!) as "lockers" for each subject. The boxes are in the boys' closets, and help keep school things from taking over our house. It's been very nice not seeing their school books on the book shelf - they just never looked neat no matter how we tried it.

ETA: Reading SilverMoon's post reminded me that the REALLY big change this year is that I chose curriculum that would lead to more independence (and, since I have boys, expose them to men who are excited about learning). This means we're using Phonetic Zoo for spelling, IEW for writing instruction, ChalkDust for Math, my 9th grader is taking Latin II online. This has been a *wonderful* change for me, since I tend to be a "messie", but really need order to function. I've been able to keep the house reasonably clean, if not perfect, in spite of having football practice every night (three hours including drive time).

But, the BEST consequence is that my 4yo dd now sees her brothers working on their own, and so she wants to be on her own, too! I'm definitely feeling more free to be "me" instead of "just Mom" if that makes sense.

Edited by Rhondabee

We haven't started school yet, so I can't say if these are going to work, but I'm very hopeful! Our changes this year include switching to a more CM approach. By doing this we're now able to fit more subjects in which will give more variety and keep interest levels high. I have also developed a checklist for each child so they know exactly what they have to do every day, even if it's something I'm directing. It's a checklist, so each thing must be signed by me once it's done. I included things like make bed, brush teeth on there as well. I also note what extracurricular activities they have for the day so they can anticipate anything they might need to do to prepare for those. We're doing a sort of workbox system so that everything they need for the day is in one place and they can go get things as they need them. I'm really looking forward to starting (as are they) but summer started so late here in the NE, we're still enjoying the hot days at our pool and figuring out where we're going to take our "summer vacation" after Labor Day.

Similar to RhondaBee I dropped the weekly lesson planning. Now we're using lesson maps. I mapped out which subject would be done which day for which kid, on a five day grid. On day one (rather than Monday) we see what subjects are marked for that day, and just do what comes next.

I've tweaked our supplies and books around to help the kids work as independently as possible. (Not that they do, but it's subtly encouraging more independent working. LOL.)

I also made each kid a wall hanging strip with velcro on it. Index cards with subjects on the back, in protective sleeves with velcro hot glued to the back, go on them in the morning. As they finish one they stick the card in the pocket at the bottom of the strip. When the strip is done, they're done. (I stash cleaning jobs and rewards in the middle too.) My variation of someone else's workbox variation. My little two are absolutely thriving with this system, and the big two do appreciate the visual reminder (and love finding "30 minutes video game time" between lessons).

Unbelievably, copywork has been a HUGE hit this week (we just started school)! I make my own pages using the Zaner-Bloser site and I follow Lindafaye's ideas of the topics.

Monday...poetry

Tuesday...Book of Common Prayer/Bible

Wednesday...quote

Thursday...literature segment

The boys understand they must give their full attention for 5 minutes. I want to see their letters being formed correctly and proper letter/word spacing. I don't care if they only get one word done...but that word must look beautiful! If they do not finish, then they will continue with that one that day next week. At the end of the time, we each pick out 3 letters from their work that we think look great. It's nice to have them encourage each other in this way. :001_smile:

I think the key is setting the timer for 5 minutes. But, I will say, they have begged me to set it for 10! (I haven't)

Well, we haven't started school yet either, so I can't say for sure what will be a hit, but here's what I'm doing differently this year:

We'll begin each day with selections from our morning basket...this is an idea that I absolutely love and such a wonderful way to start the day!

I'm taking a seasonal approach to all of my planning (I'm deeply indebted to these themes/plans for the year, such an inspiration!). We'll be focusing on seasonal nature studies for science and incorporating many more seasonal projects and activities on a regular basis. I'm also re-instituting our monthly book basket.

More art, more poetry, more beauty on a daily basis...

I've got lots of other changes in store as well (after a bit of a breakdown about our schooling this summer, I've decided to tackle almost everything differently this year), but those are the ones I'm most excited about.

First, BJU Science! Both boys *love* it and I do as well. It's soooo nice for them to be studying at their respective grade levels this year. It really has given them a sense of ownership.

We had done Apologia's elementary series for a few years, and while it was excellent, I felt it was time for a change. Ds#2 has entered the Logic Stage and it shows! BJU is meaty and thorough yet very enjoyable.

Also, workboxes are working very well for our 9yo ds. He is thriving with these and it helps keep him organized. We have stackable Sterlite drawers and he loves them. Hopefully the novelty won't wear off.

Edited by angela&4boys

How will this work. I have a book basket but my son will not touch it with a 10 ft. pole!!! :lol:

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Yeah, mine wouldn't touch it voluntarily either - usually the way I worked this last year was I read a book from the basket each morning, or nearly every morning (depending on whether or not we had a book to read that day). During free reading, the kids had the option of reading something from the basket, but they almost never did.

Last year I used the book lists from A Picture Perfect Childhood, many of the titles are based on an event in history and suitable for older children as well as younger...This year, I'm compiling my own lists based on whatever themes I've got going for the month & I'll do the same thing - pick a title to read at the beginning of the day. I'm a firm believer in the value of quality picture books for kids of all ages, and the kids don't mind them in the least.

Yeah, mine wouldn't touch it voluntarily either - usually the way I worked this last year was I read a book from the basket each morning, or nearly every morning (depending on whether or not we had a book to read that day). During free reading, the kids had the option of reading something from the basket, but they almost never did.

Last year I used the book lists from A Picture Perfect Childhood, many of the titles are based on an event in history and suitable for older children as well as younger...This year, I'm compiling my own lists based on whatever themes I've got going for the month & I'll do the same thing - pick a title to read at the beginning of the day. I'm a firm believer in the value of quality picture books for kids of all ages, and the kids don't mind them in the least.

I nievely thought you would have a magical answer to make my ds read from the darn basket!!! :tongue_smilie::D

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

4 weeks in we dropped seperate school and Rod and Staff. We are now doing all but math and grammar combined. This has been a real time saver and I am not beat at the end of the school day.

We are also testing out workboxes and trying out things like task cards, word walls, book baskets, and file folder games to make things fun and reinforce concepts rather than just run through the subjects. We'll see how it all goes.:001_smile:

I have made some major changes this year, but our new schoolyear starts on Monday, so I don't know how well any of the changes are going to work.

I didn't like much of what I used for my oldest for 9th grade, so I changed almost everything for my middle dd. I am using quite a bit of Oak Meadow this year for the first time.

I am switching my oldest and middle to more of a weekly schedule for the first time. Rather than having daily assignments, most things are listed just by what needs to be finished by Friday.

My oldest is taking dual credit cc classes this year.

We have also made huge and wonderful changes via Heart of Dakota. We are doing Beyond and Bigger and couldn't be happier. Last year was a curriculum nightmare with me constantly changing and tweeking. This year, I am so very thrilled with all I am using that I see little need to tweek. The two things I have changed in the 4 weeks we have been back to school is that I dropped WWE in exchange for the dictation in Bigger for my older ds, and I dropped New American Cursive for Abeka with my younger ds. Now, ds6 is not so interested in cursive and has gone back to doing print. That is fine with me...whatever he is most comfortable with is okay. :) But main curriculum tweeks - NONE. We are very happy with a CLE and HOD combo.

Workboxes have been the other wonderful change we have made. And I also began a "school store" where they earn $ through the week (fake $) and can spend it in my school store on Fridays. It has been great! The boys really work hard for it.

Edited by Tree House Academy

We just finished week 3 for the year and our biggest changes and hits are in my oldest LA curricula. Last year we used GWG, AAS, and WWE 1. I switched him to JAG and Phonetic Zoo(although I give the tests, he didn't like the cds) and he loves it. I had not bought WWE thinking we'd use IEW which we did a little of last year but he asked me to bring back WWE so we'll start that next week. He can do a KWO pretty well now and although I'm not having him outline for history yet, he'll get there next year or the year after which is fine with me.

For my dd I dumped everything I was using for her and went back to McRuffy which we tried when she was a way to young Ker. She's not working in their 2nd grade level stuff but she's moving along nicely in their K phonics (at doubled pace) and their 1st grade math (also at a doubled pace) She also asked for WWE back so we're going to do level 1 again to reinforce, I don't think she's ready for dictation yet.

My preschooler has also jumped into the mix and asks to do his Kumon workbooks almost daily. I'm keeping things relaxed for him.

I'm also hoping to add in more art this year, but we'll see how it goes.

History and Science stayed the same although I've taken History Odyssey and pulled out only the American History part of Early Modern Times which we'll focus on, so I'll add extra books and projects to it.

My most significant changes are not in curricula choices but in our scheduling. First, I created a grid that really reminds me of the one MFW uses but I added each of the boys names down the left-hand side beneath each subject. Across the top, I left 5 blank boxes where the days of the week might be. I write in the dates and lessons completed in each subject for each child as we complete each collumn. If we don't complete the entire collumn one day, we just pick up where we left off before moving to the next collumn. I printed off 36 of these so when all of the sheets are filled in, we have completed school for the year. Because I work 3 12 hr shifts per week, we sometimes school at unconventional times such as 1/2 a day on the weekend or squeeze in a extra subject in the evening after the little ones are in bed on nights dh is working a late shift. A conventional record keeping system and writing out plans ahead of time always stressed me out because of our irregular schedule.

Sonlight 7 with SOTW ... love the book lists! And this year, we added the tests for extra reinforcement. However, it looks like we won't be using the Sonlight Language Arts (very vague assignments) so that was a bit of a disappointment and required some scrambling on my part to replace it ... we've just started IEW (Student Writing Instensive B) and I think it's helpful so far.

Video Text Algebra ... thumbs up - started it at then end of last year, and still thinking it's good. Mammoth Math for the 5th graders - so far, so good.

Sonlight Science 5 ... like it so far. I love evolution so I did modify it a bit but that was easy to do by taking out those books and DVDs. My 7th grader is doing biology with Campbell's Exploring Life and so far so good there.

Meet The Masters - Continued from end of last year. I love it because it's completely scripted for a loser art person like me. Includes both art history and art projects with lots of hand holding for me. Also like Mark Kistler's website for the same reasons.

Jury out on Wordly Wise, Vocab from Classical Roots - not sure we need it with all the reading we're doing - and I do most if aloud so we have plenty of opportunity to discuss vocab, ideas, etc.

We haven't started the new curriculum yet, but we switched from Sonlight to Winter Promise. I have to say that as far as the planning/organizing goes I am already having way more fun with WP than SL. I feel confident my kids are going to love it. I am feeling guilty that SL isn't appealing to me anymore, but I am chalking it up to growth on our homeschool journey.

I also made each kid a wall hanging strip with velcro on it. Index cards with subjects on the back, in protective sleeves with velcro hot glued to the back, go on them in the morning. As they finish one they stick the card in the pocket at the bottom of the strip. When the strip is done, they're done. (I stash cleaning jobs and rewards in the middle too.) My variation of someone else's workbox variation. My little two are absolutely thriving with this system, and the big two do appreciate the visual reminder (and love finding "30 minutes video game time" between lessons).

I love this idea! It seems like it would provide the visual sense of accomplishment and fun surprises of workboxes with a fraction of the prep time and space. Do you leave the front of the cards blank then so each one is a surprise? And where do you get the card sleeves?

Now we're using lesson maps. I mapped out which subject would be done which day for which kid, on a five day grid. On day one (rather than Monday) we see what subjects are marked for that day, and just do what comes next.

Can you tell me more about this, or give an example?

Perhaps the biggest change is my attitude. I will be more relaxed this year and not put so much pressure on my kids. I'm hoping that one change alone will set a more pleasant tone for our year. We are also doing FIAR which I hope will add in an element of "fun". I want to do more hands-on projects (art, science, etc.) this year, use less "workbooky" materials, finally do a Nature Study/journal, stay connected with other homeschoolers and generally just re-ignite that passion for learning that my ds8 and ds6 seem to have lost last year. Hoping Phonics Road will be a hit with ds6 and ds8 and that we actually DO MFW K with dd4. We'll see...

Our biggest change was moving to Biblioplan. It has been such a good fit for our family - we're using SOTW as a spine. My younger ones use the SOTW AG (terrific resource!) for their mapwork and activities, while my older one uses the BP maps, timeline, and logic-stage assignments.

Another change that has been helpful was moving from a pre-printed lesson plan book to designing my own lesson grid/schedule. I added 2 new students this year (now have 5 school-age), and that's been a huge help in keeping people on track and doing their work.

Blessings,

Laura

I started using a book basket for history!

Book baskets have been mentioned on the boards often, but I'd never successfully implemented the idea. Now, I have a basket of books pertaining to the time period we're reading about in SOTW (and soon VP MARR). I put post-its on the cover listing the applicable pages. The kids spend 30 minutes/day reading from the basket. (And they often read more on their own!) They pick whatever looks interesting to them, read, and write down their name and pages read on the post-it. On the weekends, I add whatever each child has read to his/her history reading list and I add books for the new week.

Before, I was trying to control it too much and I was leaving books in too long in the hope that all the kids would read all the books. This year, they've got a lot of freedom to pick what they want and just read. By changing out last week's books for new books for the current week, it keeps things fresh and exciting. So far, it's been hugely successful.

Ignoring all the cool organizational systems like workboxes.....:tongue_smilie:

I whittled things down to 3 binders. Math, SWR, and AO (and a few extras). I settle my ever-wiggly ds6 down for math - send him to run - settle him down for SWR - send him to run - Settle him down for a read aloud & narration from AO and something extra (mind bender, science, art, etc) - then send him to run some more...at the end of the day he's finally worn out and I read some more.:001_huh::lol:

I also decided to pare down my math addiction, dropping Singapore (for the time being at least) and am working mainly with MEP for review and Miquon for new concepts. This is a great balance. I may actually stick with it.:001_smile:

We haven't started our new year yet but we are using Winston Grammar this year and we dropped formal Latin this year in order to do the Greek word study in MFW: Creation to Greeks this year. We will pick up Latin next year with our Rome study. Everything else is the same.

I made big planning changes this year. Instead of doing weekly "to do" plans, I am doing "big picture" plans. This is working very well with my oldest who is seeing the advantage of it. Some subjects are "when the book is done" we're done. Others are topic driven.

Curriculum wise, we started Latin Road this year. It terrified me! I even had a long chat with the author when I started Chapter 2! But, it is really working for dd. It is putting all the pieces together like no other latin program has done before. It is a great example of right program at the right time for the right learning style.

We are still tweaking math. I had to make a curriculum change for both dds and the new programs are not here yet.

Well, I switched almost every subject except Math. I chose to do less combined subjects this year and more individual subjects. These has worked great for us!!

As my dc's have matured, they are all so different that the combined subjects didn't work as well as before. We are doing a couple of things together but most subjects I picked for that particular student. This has made such a huge difference and, by far, this has been the smoothest beginning of our year ever. I'm lovin' it!!

I also made exact plans for every subject and I feel more in control of where I want to be and when. I think that has freed my mind somewhat as well. I made extensive written plans, used them for a week, tweaked them a tad, and input them all into HST+ this weekend.

Feels good at this point. My dc's can work much more independently this year. They don't have to wait for everyone to be ready for our "combined" subjects but can move at their own pace. We still do SOTW together with my three youngest, Latin with my three oldest and Analytical Grammar instruction with my three oldest. However, with AG and Latin, I spend about 15 minutes going over it and then I assign the work to them to be completed independently.

Perhaps the biggest change is my attitude. I will be more relaxed this year and not put so much pressure on my kids. I'm hoping that one change alone will set a more pleasant tone for our year.

:iagree:, this is whats going on here although, I think my change of attitude is that my dh spent a month remodeling our schoolroom. I LOVE it, it looks so friendly and bright, a far cry from the dungeon my kids used to call it. He even boxed in a refrigerator and put in a bathroom so the kids could just stay instead or losing them as soon as they went upstairs.

He knew I wanted a form of the work-box system, just not the wire racks & plastic boxes. He is finishing up making the kids shelves, they will each have their own, above their own desks. He also made a long shelf unit above my desk for my manuals and odds and ends.

We created an art center and a math center much better than what we had. I am however two weeks behind schedule, but I'm not complaining!!

Lastly, I am really excited about returing to SL, we still remember how much fun we had.

Our BIG change this year is starting a classical UMS! Our first day of classes is next Tuesday! My dining room is 2 feet deep in curriclum :001_smile:We have an awesome group of parents so excited about it they can't wait!! I actually had the opportunity to go down to Highlands Latin School this summer and talk with their admission cousnelor (GREAT lady) and talk with the gal at MP (another GREAT lady) for about 3 hours- they are soo cool. Of course, TWTM and TWEM were front and center on their desks. Changed a lot of what we're doing this year based on my talks with them- more simple and straighforward. Got yet another copy of Latin Centered Curriculum -that and TWTM are our guidebooks.

It's a huge thing, but one I've wanted to do for years...we are on our way! Prayers appreciated!:001_smile:

It looks like we are going to have the best year so far! I've made several significant changes that are working great.

First of all, I'm running a tighter ship; a tighter schedule - less relaxed with our limited time; blocking out certain hours for school and refusing to get distracted with other things; letting the answering machine take all my calls until late afternoon; greatly decreased my personal computer time - I deactivated my Facebook account, haven't worked on my blog at all, and am going days without getting on-line. I'm using the Motivated Moms schedule for my daily housework and that is helping me to ignore the chores while doing school. I know I can use the schedule later in the day to get the house in shape before my husband comes home.

Also, I'm doing far less planning, looking at curriculum, trying different things... I've moved closer to the methods of Charlotte Mason and just facing the fact that it fits us so much better than a "classical" homeschool. I've lost the guilt over not teaching Latin and decided it's fine that Greek isn't so practical... it's what we want to do, so, we are doing it instead.

We are using Heart of Dakota this year and I absolutely love it. It is just what I've always wanted for our homeschool. I'm not tweaking it much, at all. I'm sticking with the lesson plans and not adding so much to it that all the joy is drained out. We are getting more done than we ever have before. I'm actually very happy with all of the curricula we are using now. I'm determined not to make any changes. The grass is greener elsewhere syndrome is over for me.

I'm making sure I keep an eternal perspective (not sweating the little things) and keeping God's Word at the center of everything that we do. Heart of Dakota's lesson plans have ministered to me spiritually and I'm seeing spiritual & character growth in my children like I've never seen before.

I instituted a modified work-box system, which so far (we're on day 2) has been a good thing. Instead of numbering boxes for each day, every subject has it's own box. I wrote down the subjects on index cards, throwing in extras, such as physical things to get up and go do. DD draws a card, does that activity/subject. She likes the mystery of it! LOL

I also am doing a weekly check-off system instead of planning lessons to the detail for the whole year.

I've cut way back on history and am focusing more on Latin, Greek and French. Oh yeah, I added a Greek for this year. I bought MOH student text only and am having dd either orally narrate the chapters or draw them. We're supplementing with FMoMT, so she gets the map work in that.

I think my biggest change has been NO TV. I'm a die-hard tv watcher and I've noticed over the summer how bound I've been to tv programs. Also, I've noticed that I get drawn into shows that really are just garbage. My own inner peace and attitude has been MUCH better and dd's is, too. I'm taking the cable box back to the cable company Friday and turning it in. I just don't need the garbage and I certainly am tired of paying for it! I do plan to get netflix and then pick and choose movies for when we want them.

My oldest is heading to college in September, and we just took ds15 to a Christian boarding Academy with GREAT classes and mission emphasis! So I will only have one left at home to homeschool. It's hard to go at full-speed with her while oldest ds is still here, but we started light yesterday, and just finished day 2.

I made lots of changes this year. She's in 7th grade, so I am using this as a "catch-up, fill-in-the-gaps, gain-more-understanding-and confidence year. I backed her up in grammar. She was getting overwhelmed with it, and beginning to hate it. So we switched from our beloved R&S English to Queen Homeschool" Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 2." This starts out easy, which helps her confidence. As it gains momentum, she'll be right there with it. It's Grammar Light just for her to cement these things. I told her she can move through it as quickly as she wants to. I also got her Hake Grammar & Writing. We won't do the Writing part though, since we will be using Write Shop. She took the Chapter 1 test yesterday and aced it. So will take the Chapter 2 test tomorrow. Wherever she gets under 85% we'll do that chapter if it's a low grade, and review if it's close to 80-85%. She's happy with these things and doesn't think it's too much, since they approach it so differently.

We're starting Rainbow Science, Year 1, next week, and looking forward to it!

We're using The Teaching Company's "Early American History" for part of history, and will read and do study guides for lit. and history.

For Vocabulary, I switched from the planned Vocab. from Classical Roots A & B to Vocabu-Lit. I don't know yet how they compare academically, but she's enjoyed the first two lessons, and likes reading the stories and working from them, as opposed to just having the words listed!

She's doing Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, and CLE Math 8. She'll do CLE 4 days a week, and LoF 2 days a week to get through. Not sure yet how that will play out, but that's our plan.

I found Harmony Fine Arts and we're doing the 7th grade Lesson Plans for that. So far we've found and labeled the pics by Rembrandt, and are heading to the library tomorrow to find books about Rembrandt and his art. We haven't done the music part yet, but will later this afternoon. I'm excited about this program, and dh thinks it's a great idea!

These are the big changes.........hoping they make for a great year for her!

Well, we haven't started school yet either, so I can't say for sure what will be a hit, but here's what I'm doing differently this year:

We'll begin each day with selections from our morning basket...this is an idea that I absolutely love and such a wonderful way to start the day!

I'm taking a seasonal approach to all of my planning (I'm deeply indebted to these themes/plans for the year, such an inspiration!). We'll be focusing on seasonal nature studies for science and incorporating many more seasonal projects and activities on a regular basis. I'm also re-instituting our monthly book basket.

More art, more poetry, more beauty on a daily basis...

I've got lots of other changes in store as well (after a bit of a breakdown about our schooling this summer, I've decided to tackle almost everything differently this year), but those are the ones I'm most excited about.

I love the 2 blogs you listed-I especially am thrilled with the themes/plans for the year year! Thanks.:001_smile:

I love this idea! It seems like it would provide the visual sense of accomplishment and fun surprises of workboxes with a fraction of the prep time and space. Do you leave the front of the cards blank then so each one is a surprise? And where do you get the card sleeves?

The front of the cards have a number sharpied on them. My little ones start at one and work their way through to 8. My older ones have twelve cards, and are expected to get the first five done before taking the break behind the six.

The sleeves are actually made for photographs, I found them in the page protecter section at Office Depot. They come four to a page, so a little bit of cutting was required.

Can you tell me more about this, or give an example?

Here's a c/p of one of my older posts explaining it in detail. :)

I do "lesson maps" for my kids. I start with the top left page here ~ http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/planner.htm ~ Down the lefthand side I list their subjects (For my older ds I've divided each subject row into half so I can get twice as many subjects on there). Across the top I write Day 1, Day 2, etc. instead of the days of the week. Then I decide how many days per week each subject should be done and write that under it's name. Then I work out the logic puzzle it can be to fit it all together evenly. :p I just put circles in the box if it's intended to be done on that day, and doesn't need further explanation. I try staggering the lessons out so it will take about the same amount of time to complete all the lessons. For example, I'll put a lighter subject like English From the Roots Up on the first day of a new lesson in Classical Writing (longest day in CW), and make sure I don't put the first day of a new spelling lesson on that same day. This is all done in pencil so it's easy to change it up as it suits us.

Once THAT has been done, we just rotate through those five days worth of plans. So if we take Monday off as a holiday, we'll do Day 1 on Tuesday. If something happens and only half of Day 1 gets done, we'll start with the remainders of Day 1 the next day. Day 2 won't get started until Day 1 is complete. Since each kid has their own personal lesson map, it's easy to keep who's where separate. I've kept the lesson maps posted on the "school wall" so they're easy access, but a second copy lives in my master binder should something happen to them.

Similar to RhondaBee I dropped the weekly lesson planning. Now we're using lesson maps. I mapped out which subject would be done which day for which kid, on a five day grid. On day one (rather than Monday) we see what subjects are marked for that day, and just do what comes next.

wow! didn't know this had a name. But we just switched to this system as well. Gone are the pencilling in lesson plans for each day and then erasing at the end of the week. Know I just do a "weekly map" and have subjects we're going to hit each day and ds just crosses them off or can work ahead. I'm confident now that if I do what comes next we are for sure getting everything. So liberating!

What great things are you enjoying this year so far???? Anything a BIG HIT???!!! Please share! :bigear:

Keeping only two notebooks for each kid (one math/English/history/scratch, one religion/nature/heirloom), and they're already bound. No binders! Everything gets glued in. It's a lot easier, and we feel this grand sense of accomplishment, six weeks in, because we've already got so much cool stuff in the notebooks. All the minibooks that would go into lapbooks are in there. All their sketches. All their math problems. All their dictations. It's like a portfolio I don't have to put together. It's like an attendance record with proof.

I chose to do less combined subjects this year and more individual subjects. These has worked great for us!!

As my dc's have matured, they are all so different that the combined subjects didn't work as well as before. We are doing a couple of things together but most subjects I picked for that particular student. This has made such a huge difference and, by far, this has been the smoothest beginning of our year ever. I'm lovin' it!!

:iagree:

Last year, I separated the girls and had them doing their own literature. This year I have them reading their own history as well. It's letting me challenge my oldest history lover while not making DD2 into a history hater. Some of the hands on stuff we still do together (or at least all at the same time).

For science, I've switched to having them read the Exploring Creation with Botany book independently as well. Basically, I hand them a booklet with instructions for what information to look for, turn them loose to look for it, and then check up on their work. DD2 is definitely reading more carefully and learning. After being sent back twice to redo the assignment, DD1 is beginning to pay more attention. We're also going to have at least one hands on project a week even if it's just planting a different type of seeds for the first semester.

The last change is switching from history lapbooks to history notebooks. DD2 loves it. The jury is still out with DD1 (although she loves the patterned scissors I bought the other day). I like that we can put the maps with the information. It makes it flow a little better than our lapbooks.

I have more time with my 5yo who is starting K (He's been doing great!).

I have starting grading all of my 5th grader's work. Some like math workbook exercises are credited based on completion while others (quizzes and tests) are actually graded and are more heavily weighted. I haven't quite mastered grading history, science, and writing yet; but I have learned that I need to be more specific with my expectations.

Edited by Narrow Gate Academy
forgot to add something

We are moving away from the CM and into a classical style. We've had 2 days so far and it seems to be going well for now. DD says that Singapore math is better than MUS from last year. And it feels nice to follow the WTM suggestions knowing what we will be covering so as not to miss out or double up in the history or science areas. It also feels great not to do history every day leaving room for science and a 4 day schedule.

The best changes I've made this year are: 1) cutting back on the amount of schoolwork we are doing and 2) waiting until the evening to check my children's schoolwork.

In years past, I have tried to do multiple programs for each subject. No more! I have overdone things with my son and pushed too hard since he was in kindergarten and I'm really trying to turn things around and take a more relaxed approach with him. I only wish I had been able to do this sooner.

By waiting until the evening to check my kids schoolwork, I am able to be so much more positive than when I check it immediately upon completion. If they have done well at all, I write them encouraging notes. Before, I was instantly pointing out mistakes they made and then making them correct and re-correct them on the spot. Now, if there are a couple of very simple mistakes out of a whole page of math problems, I'm not even pointing them out. If there is a concept they are having trouble with, I show the kids how to correctly do a few on the chalkboard instead of marking their work all up. Things have been much more positive around here. This change was inspired by Marva Collins.

Lisa

wow! didn't know this had a name. But we just switched to this system as well. Gone are the pencilling in lesson plans for each day and then erasing at the end of the week. Know I just do a "weekly map" and have subjects we're going to hit each day and ds just crosses them off or can work ahead. I'm confident now that if I do what comes next we are for sure getting everything. So liberating!

I'm so proud, but no one else will care....

But, *this* week, our church food pantry needed help on Tuesday, which on my "weekly checklist" I have Friday as our "lite day". So, that kind of messed up my check-marking system. (I used Open Office.)

So...I was trying to cut and paste by hand to move Friday to Tuesday and still have everything line up. Then, it occurred to me to save both the "friday as lite-day" weekly schedule and a "blank" schedule. So, now I can copy and paste the "lite day" to any day from week to week.

It's a little thing, but it made my day - LOL!

Things that are working:

Notebook: with dividers for each subject. This contains Dithor worksheets, IEW works in progress plus reference sheets, copywork (their work and I type up a list with 4 things to copy each week), Latin worksheets, spanish worksheets, SWR reference pages (as they make them for the year), labbook printables and lab sheets for science, etc. (Basically anything they need for the week). It also has a zippered bag for pencils, etc.

Baskets: Each kid has a basket for above notebook, math, logic, and cursive workbooks, as well as current reading book, nature journal, scissors, glue stick, whiteboards, calculator, etc. They can carry this around to work where they want.

I just sit down with basket and notebook to grade papers while I watch tv.

IEW SWI-A for writing: We are saving a lot of time because there have been no meltdowns over writing.

I bought each child a whiteboards at dollar tree and a pack of dry erasable markers. These are a hit! The kids use them for math, dictation, etc.

I went through and made 30 min-1 hour chunks of project time to cover science, health, history crafts, economics, etc. I pick and choose among them according to our schedule, weather, materials needed, etc. Honestly, it was so frustrating to have something on schedule that needed a sunny day and it would be raining and I would have to scramble to figure out what to do or next.

Handicraft and Painting lessons during read aloud time. I get them started on something they can do quietly and still listen and narrate. They done things like paint our styrofoam planets for science, hook rugs, build a lego project for science, paint, make bracelets, sort pennies for a math project, etc.

Simply Charlotte Mason Scripture Memory System - love it.

We do all our memory work (LFC cd, IEW poetry CD, scripture memory system above, plus music appreciation) in the mornings while we do our morning chores and eat breakfast. It helps get us in the school mode.

White board on fridge: when a child is being uncooperative, sassy, rude to other child or me, etc., they have to put a tally mark on board. When they get to five tallies, they lose electronic privilages for the day.