Menu

Have you read these books, BBC says you probably haven't.

I wonder about this all the time. I have a very hard time with most classics. Often, I cannot engage with them. Do I force myself to read them anyway? Does it get easier with time? I've read classic books that I've loved, but most, I just can't get into. It's my secret shame as a member of this board :blushing: I keep trying though!

We should start a support group. "Hello, my name is Nicole, and I can't get into the classics (unless a man with a very sexy voice reads them to me)."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should start a support group. "Hello, my name is Nicole, and I can't get into the classics unless a man with a very sexy voice reads them to me."

:lol: I like this. I admit most of the classics I've read have been under punishable conditions in school. :sleep: Now the tides are turned and I will force them down my dd's throat!!!!! :sneaky2: Just kidding! (sort of) I do believe there is intrinsic value to reading them. Maybe it's just so you can check them off a list latter in life. :D

We should start a support group. "Hello, my name is Nicole, and I can't get into the classics (unless a man with a very sexy voice reads them to me)."

:lol::lol::lol:Oh pleeaaase! I never could get into Jame Joyce's Ulysses. I always thought, "If only I were smarter...". Now, Nicole tells me there's hope if a man with a very sexy voice reads it to me.:001_huh: I can not tell you what kinds of promises I would have to make my dh in order to get him to read to me from that book, even one chapter.:D

:lol::lol::lol:Oh pleeaaase! I never could get into Jame Joyce's Ulysses. I always thought, "If only I were smarter...". Now, Nicole tells me there's hope if a man with a very sexy voice reads it to me.:001_huh: I can not tell you what kinds of promises I would have to make my dh in order to get him to read to me from that book, even one chapter.:D

Ulyssey's doesn't count. Let's just chuck that one right now, k?

No one would ever have to know.

Oh! Nice voice. He can read Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow to me any time.;)

Is Ulysses the one where the married couple sleeps in the bed head to foot? That is, opposite ways on the bed?

Ulysses is one of those books I was supposed to read in college but never did. I remember looking at the words on the page, thinking, this is English. I can read English. Can't I? And I would listen to the professors and just think... why?

I've read 42. Only 58 to go! Think I can do it by next week???

There is an odd assortment, but many of them are either classics culture or popular culture. I guess they were saying that people may have heard of the book, or seen the movie, but not many people have actually read the book.

Edited by Garga

Ulyssey's doesn't count. Let's just chuck that one right now, k?

No one would ever have to know.

Funny you should say "chuck". It's the only book I've ever thrown. I was laying in bed reading it, couldn't take it anymore, threw it up at the ceiling, and it it landed back on the bed with a broken spine. Shameful, juvenile, and quite freeing. I then had the misfortune to inherit another lovely copy. It sits on my bookshelf in my great room just mocking me.

but I read everything - even, in a desperate moment in the car, the manual for my new toaster cover to cover (the Spanish too).

One of those are you? That sounds like the time I was supposed to try media deprivation for week. I found myself in the washroom reading the entire label on the Excedrine bottle and the ingredients on the bar of soap. However, the toaster manual is just twisted.:D I like the way you read.

Funny you should say "chuck". It's the only book I've ever thrown. I was laying in bed reading it, couldn't take it anymore, threw it up at the ceiling, and it it landed back on the bed with a broken spine. Shameful, juvenile, and quite freeing. I then had the misfortune to inherit another lovely copy. It sits on my bookshelf in my great room just mocking me.

You are cracking me up!

I found an audio sample here:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0057193752.1250200321@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadeiddjhjjhcefecekjdffidffg.0&productID=BK_NAXO_000439

Not a sexy voice, but... it's practically intelligible! Amazing! (But no way am I gonna fork out a cool hundred for that, no ma'am.)

but I read everything - even, in a desperate moment in the car, the manual for my new toaster cover to cover (the Spanish too).

:cheers2: WOW 81, good job. I read manuals too. It started with "having" to read the box while eating cereal. It's rather OCD; I must have something to read. I'm almost embarrassed at the library in my bathroom :)

Edited by BillieBoy
forgot a word

Ok, I got 36. I agree ... that is one weird list. Narnia is listed as one book, as are The Lord of the Rings, and then The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is listed separately ... there's classics and then more contemporary stuff ... children's and adults' (which I do like) ... strange list.

You are cracking me up!

I found an audio sample here:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0057193752.1250200321@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadeiddjhjjhcefecekjdffidffg.0&productID=BK_NAXO_000439

Not a sexy voice, but... it's practically intelligible! Amazing! (But no way am I gonna fork out a cool hundred for that, no ma'am.)

Hmmm. Do you suppose with a little living under our belts, that we might do better with it? The audio did sound quite reasonable. I would have to go back and reread Portrait of an Artist just as a warm-up. It's always bothered me that I just didn't "get it". You know, if I stayed off the forums, I'd spend less money and I wouldn't have to read books that I really don't want to read. But then, I'd miss all the fun.

Oh dear, only 23 here. BUT--I assigned a lot of the others to ds, and looked those over enough to discuss major points with him. (Trying desperately to appear well-read...:lol:)

I agree that there are several which don't belong. I was glad to see some children's classics on there, tho--Dd is re-reading The Secret Garden as we speak (type, whatever).

The most recent was Dracula by Bram Stoker, which was a very well done book. But I don't think that the works are of equal importance or quality. And this list always strikes me as strange because it has the Complete Works of Shakespere (which many well read people wouldn't have completed) AND Hamlet; also The Chronicles of Narnia AND The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

I don't think I have even read 4 of those books. There....I said it.

Ok I will come out of my shameful hiding as well...I'm sure I've glanced through some of them (and probably own some of them as well) but otherwise, I don't think I've read more than 10 on that list and that's being generous...

Now on the other hand, I recognize that some of those are movies...I've probably watched more movies of those books than I have read of them...:leaving:

Well, I've read 22 of them. However, I only read 3 of them prior to having children/homeschooling (I had a lousy education in literature! After this year, I will had 10 more of those titles. There are some that I can't, for the life of me, understand why they are included. Brigitte Jones' Diary?? More like Brigitte Jones' verbal diarrhea.

I love Bridget Jones!

The only thing that made the movie more bearable than the book for me was Colin Firth :svengo: :lol:

Yes, the movie just wasnt the same, but Colin Firth :drool:

Did anyone else think it odd that the complete works of Shakespeare and Hamlet were on there?

Amber in SJ

I thought it was odd that the Jane Austen books were listed seperately but Shakespeare all together. I think if you've read the complete works you should get an extra 10 brownie points.

I've read 29 of them and there are quite a few there on my list of books I'd like to read. But as for Hardy and Dickens, tried and failed and don't plan to try again!!

Okay Ambitioushousewife, which 11 (or 9) haven't you read?

I too will read (almost) anything in a pinch. I once brought Ulysess on a 48 hour train ride across Europe---and never got past the first 100 pages. I found myself trying to puzzle out the meaning in Turkish newspapers instead. And thrilling at the sight of a Danielle Steele in French....

Edited by yellowperch

50 for me. But I wonder why The Complete Works of Shakespeare as well as Hamlet are listed. Wouldn't the complete works have included Hamlet? I started a couple of the works listed (Life of Pi and Madame Bovary) but just couldn't get into them - I didn't count those.

Neither Hamlet nor the complete works of Shakespeare are listed in the original BBC top 100. I imagine they were added as the list was tweaked after going viral.

And as to the more modern works being listed among the classics, it wasn't a list of classic books in the first place. According to the BBC site:

In April 2003 the BBC's Big Read began the search for the nation's best-loved novel, and we asked you to nominate your favourite books.

See Satori's post here for the links.

I've read 20 or 21...my maybe was by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...I've read 1 or 2 of his books, but I can't remember which they were.

Several of those are on my reading list, and, I'm only 26...so I'm doing pretty well ;)

On the original list, I've read 31 :)

Edited by jenadina

Funny you should mention Hardy. I was thinking about asking about him today on the boards here. I am listening to Alan Rickman read The Return of the Native. (ITA with a friend that said, that man could read the phone book and keep me enthralled!) I loved Casterbridge, which I also listened to, but couldn't get through when I tried to read the print version. Tess broke my heart; I think I was too young, 22 or something, when I read it. But it got me to wondering. There are so many "great" authors, so many "great" books that I just did.not.like. Hardy's prose is amazing. I "like" him more now that I'm older, though never "liked" him when I was still a snob about reading only with my eyes and not my ears, and I love hearing him, (though I will never re-read or listen to Tess).

I wondered if anyone else ever wondered why? Why do we have to read all these classics if it's just like taking caster oil, for our health, but not really something we love? Or does love of classics come with maturity? Or what?

I love Bronte, Austin & can navigate Dickens. But Hardy is so depressing... all his characters have make awful decisions in morality & all end up dead or wishing they were dead. It is so sad. I read them b/c he is supposed to be showing the negative world of Victorian England & the morality "rules" etc. (Tess is great for showing the clash between industrialization & the old farm culture of England) Hardy is much ike Dickens in showing problems of the day.... just Dickens shows the poverty & abuse of the poor & weak & abuses of the workhouses/charities. But I can't relate to Hardy's characters b/c they keep making the same irresponsible decisions & end up dead or miserable:glare:. Just my view...

I love reading Bronte & Austin.... and even loved Rob Roy & Robinson Crusoe. I think Moby Dick & the Three Musketeers & any Verne books would kill me!

I wonder if AUDIO books are better ... just like our kids enjoy us reading aloud.... our brain is free to roam & think of the story and not all on the mechanics of reading!

Ah... and a good voice is a blessing....hehe

I've read 54. I think they put some of the non-literature to make people feel better.

Anyone else read Zola's Germinal?

I couldn't decide whether to count the complete works of Shakespeare. I mean I've read most of Shakespeares plays, but do they mean all plays/sonnets/long poems too? And then they listed Hamlet separately. Oh well.

No Virginia Wolf, no DH Lawrence, no Updike, no Ford Maddox Ford. Interesting.

If I counted the books I've only read the first chapter I think my count would go up by at least 7.