Menu

Would you sign a national homeschool registar for federal tax credit?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about people who do not submit letters of intent to their school districts? What is different, if not?

No, this was in response to the poster asking how much of a credit.

I have to submit to a school district too. I'm not sure how states that don't require it get around truancy laws?

In some ways I feel if we had a national count of homeschoolers it could help us politically. Strength in numbers and all that. At the very least it would give some marketing data for curricula publishers.

No, this was in response to the poster asking how much of a credit.

I have to submit to a school district too. I'm not sure how states that don't require it get around truancy laws?

In some ways I feel if we had a national count of homeschoolers it could help us politically. Strength in numbers and all that. At the very least it would give some marketing data for curricula publishers.

For those already registered with their districts, what woud the pros and cons be?

Are most people on this board operating under their state radar?

Nope-ity, nope-ity, no.

Why?

1. The government would be forcibly taking money from someone else to pay me for my homeschooling.

2. I like to maintain a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the federal government. :D (Well, most governments, but following the rule of subsidiarity, the federal government more so than local.)

Nope-ity, nope-ity, no.

Why?

1. The government would be forcibly taking money from someone else to pay me for my homeschooling.

2. I like to maintain a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the federal government. :D (Well, most governments, but following the rule of subsidiarity, the federal government more so than local.)

Don't you have to pay taxes for their kids to go to public school? If I'm understanding the question correctly this would just be "your portion" of that money.

Don't you have to pay taxes for their kids to go to public school? If I'm understanding the question correctly this would just be "your portion" of that money.

We pay taxes through our local government (via a land tax which our landlord passes on through our rent) for government schools, yes (I get that the federal gov't gives states money for schools, and I am not a big fan of that, either :D ). However, my understanding was that the OP was asking about a federal tax credit requiring a federal-level registry, and I am against that. It is much easier for me to move out of a school district that I think is misusing my tax-dollars than it is for me to move out of a country that is misusing my tax dollars.

I agree -- i would only be in support of a return of money that was already taken from me --not a flat credit.

I've already discussed the issue on our local county boards about refunding property taxes for parents who are not utilizing the public system. And if the federal gvt steps OUT of funding education, then I'll step out of wanting that money back too :)

until then, i will seek all means possible to get the money that was forcibly taken from me BACK.

and i also agree that it should be voluntary: those who want to seek the monetary return can, and those who don't want to can out of it.

I agree -- i would only be in support of a return of money that was already taken from me --not a flat credit.

I might be able to get behind something like this if 1) it involved no additional paperwork, requirements, etc from me than what I already file with my local district and 2) it just meant that I never had to pay the tax in the first place rather than having it taken from me then given back.

However, #2 would only apply if we were homeowners. As a renter, I have to defer to my landlord's choices.

Can someone please explain to me how taking a tax credit is different than taking a credit for children you claim? Or not paying taxes on the mortgage interest, etc.

Or are we talking about something different?

I am imagining that we wouldn't pay taxes on a certain amount of income because we are homeschooling. Is this not what the OP meant?

I might be able to get behind something like this if 1) it involved no additional paperwork, requirements, etc from me than what I already file with my local district and 2) it just meant that I never had to pay the tax in the first place rather than having it taken from me then given back.

I agree :)

That's where my "check the little box" thing comes in --if i hafta do anything else, I'll opt out.

Can someone please explain to me how taking a tax credit is different than taking a credit for children you claim? Or not paying taxes on the mortgage interest, etc.

I am imagining that we wouldn't pay taxes on a certain amount of income because we are homeschooling. Is this not what the OP meant?

eh --depends on the credit ;)

I think the OP's q was a bit more vague than we're spelling out, lol.

We actually opt-out of those credits as well. Wait, let me rephrase that... we've tried to opt out of those credits. The IRS kindly recalculates our taxes and send them to us anyway. We usually donate it.

LOL. I always read too many specifics into things. I guess I'm not very good with hypotheticals. ;)

It is, I am, vague. I'm just wondering what could/would it take for us to get some of our tax dollars back seeing how we do not utilize schools that get federal subsidies. It seems I want my cake and to eat it too. :)

In WA I find it a scam that you can register with the homeschool connection of your local school and utilize their advisors, attend a class or two and receive a whopping $400 of the $3,800 the school receives for having you "registered". I would never do that but I'd sure like some of what the government is setting aside to publicly educate my child. I'm paying twice.

So far I like Peek's idea as well as another poster's idea of a voucher for each child to be sent on to PS, or to private school or for us homeschoolers to keep.

We actually opt-out of those credits as well. Wait, let me rephrase that... we've tried to opt out of those credits. The IRS kindly recalculates our taxes and send them to us anyway. We usually donate it.

LOL! this has happened to us too!!! drives my accountant friend bats --"but the IRS NEVER asks if you want MORE money back!?!!"

I'm paying for my kids to go to public school, but they don't. Another reason I want my money.

The only way to truly handle this type issue is for anyone without children in a public school to NOT pay. Grandparents, property owners, payers of special sales taxes... not just us.

Just let those who utilize the ps pay for it. Imagine the backlash.:lol:

Wow! And I thought we were radical. LOL

People always think we're weird because we wouldn't apply for federal and state college tuition assistance or because I wouldn't use the state health dept. for immunizations.

Well, as I see it, between our business and our personal taxes, we are paying quite heavily into the system, so I will take deductions.

LOL. I always read too many specifics into things. I guess I'm not very good with hypotheticals. ;)

In my post, I was talking about a flat voucher - each child allotted the same $ amount. (perhaps it would be better done at the state level...but...) I'm thinking in terms of giving parents the power to actually have a say in the local schools though (esp those dependant upon ps), and not simply reimbursing HSers. I doubt I will ever see it come about in my lifetime....teachers' unions wouldn't feel to warm and fuzzy about the competition...

If it were basically a headcount of HSers, I wouldn't be OK with that. Plus, I doubt I will ever make enough for a credit to count so long as I am SAHMing and HSing.

The only way to truly handle this type issue is for anyone without children in a public school to NOT pay. Grandparents, property owners, payers of special sales taxes... not just us.

Just let those who utilize the ps pay for it. Imagine the backlash.:lol:

I don't want to go that far. The system has to be set up to *offer* a free education to all kids, and yet give each family the *freedom* to choose other options. When I'm a grandma I won't mind paying for kids to go to school ......but as a parent, I would like my child's portion of the education fund to go to my child.

If homeschoolers were offered a federal tax credit but we're asked to sign a national register, would you do it? No restrictions, no governing body just a register.

I'm still contemplating my answer on this. What say the hive?

Here in Canada, probably. Were I back in the US, no way!

[quote name=I would be in favor of a flat voucher system for every child in America. Regular tax $ should be spent to upkeep public school buildings' date=' and then $ beyond that should come with each child. If that's $1000 per child...then $1000 per child goes to either the public school, private school or homeschool that is *chosen by the parent*. I think public schools would see some drastic improvements b/c parents would hold the power to change things ($$$;))

:iagree: Do you know that in 2008 the Chicago Public Schools spent approximately $10,500 per student. Just think what parents with a voucher for $10,500 and a little free market competition would do for education system in America. We would have world class schools. The system we have today is truly shameful.

I would take a tax credit for each child not currently attending public school; however, that would mean all children not attending ps could take that credit. That will never happen as too many wealthier families would no longer be supporting a free public education while their children attend private schools. I am the ultimate advocate for school choice and believe your money should go to support your choices. It will never happen though.

The way to "opt out" is to leave your dc off your income tax return. Don't claim them, and you don't get any credits. Don't put your motgage interest on there. What's hard about opting out of these things?

I absolutely would not open that can of worms.

It seems so innocent at first. Just put your name on the list so that we can ensure that no one gets double payments...but what if someone decides to misuse this information? You can't take it back once it's out there.

Besides, why should the general public pay for my homeschooling my children?

I'm paying for my kids to go to public school, but they don't. Another reason I want my money.

Actually, in theory, it's not. It's paying for the general education of the populace who cannot educate their children themselves (either through private school, tutors, or homeschooling) for whatever reason (usually because of a need for both parents to work; perhaps because of a lack of education of the parents). (In theory, of course. Nowadays public school is used by plenty of people who don't really *need* its services.)

I'm all for donating a part of my income to give future American voters a chance to learn to read, who otherwise would not have an education.

If it were not for public schools, I simply would not have gotten an education. Both my parents worked. While PS is not ideal (especially not anymore) it is, in theory, a way to help ensure the voting populace has enough education to rule itself wisely.

I would be opposed to any sort of national homeschool registry. We live in a state that does not require notification (we are considered private schools in IL) and we are contantly vigilant to keep that freedom. I do not trust the government to keep its nose out of my business. I would prefer not to see homeschoolers identified differently than private schoolers in the federal government because that opens the door to treating us differently in our home state.

A lot. We are not required to register kids with any state or local authority. My kids have never been enrolled in any school so we are "off the grid" so to speak when it comes to schooling. I rather like it and they tax incentive would have to be great. Something greater than $5000 per student would be about my threshold.

Dancing sideways here, but with a parallel issue in mind: I very rarely use our public library, although our tax dollars support the library system. I am delighted that some of my taxes support the libraries, even if I do not use them often.

When I back myself into a spare, bare corner and look myself in the eye relentlessly, neither do I resent that some of my taxes support the public schools. These schools provide an education, even though that means (often? usually ?) poor-quality academics, and a morally-diseased (always) values system. This is education for many children and teens who otherwise would receive no education at all. I won't adopt the ludicrous position that "having NO education at all is better than having a public school education." Repellent as I consider most public education of today, the "greater good" is that children have a shot at some minimum level of education.

My intent is not to derail the thread, but to point out that many people pay taxes to support organizations and activities which they, themselves, do not actually use, but which provide "good" for other people.

It is not that I would be bothered as much in putting my name down on the registry as I would be bothered with the WHY there was such a registry to begin with?

I am not hiding anything, and I have to register with the state or local schools anyway. So just having my name down is not the issue. But my concern would be the slippery slope of first getting your name on a registry, and then being increasingly interfered with. I would be concerned with who had this list and what they were going to do with it...

So I would be one who opposed the list to start with...and would do all I could to stop it, but if it was required I wouldn't sweat it over much...

Susu

If electric car owners are willing to check the box for an electric car credit or fill out an additional form and receive a partial credit for retirement contributions, then why would there have to be a "registry" in order to make homeschoolers receive a credit?

I don't know. How much of a tax credit? I already turn in a form to the school district. I'm fairly suspicious though. Because rarely does anything from the government not come with strings. :)

:iagree: I was thinking the exact same thing. If the credit were enough, though, I might consider it. After all, the school district already knows that I home school my child, so if The Powers That Be really wanted to know who is homeschooling, it wouldn't be too difficult to find out.

I wouldn't "take money from the gov't" either.

We are talking tax credits -- like when you claim your children you get tax credits. You claim your children, don't you?

I meant because I homeschool. As in getting a homeschool tax credit, or some such thing.

Nope. Even if there's no "governing body" this year, that doesn't mean there won't be next year. It wouldn't take long for some special interest group to complain that the $ is unregulated and could be funding (probably would be) something the gov't doesn't want (religion or whatever), and needs to be monitored. If I wanted gov't schooling, I already know where to send the dc - what I don't want is the gov't keeping track of what's going on in my house, even if it starts with just names & birthdates (which I know I already declare on the tax form).

For many of us, the local government and state already know we homeschool, so it wouldn't take much for the federal gov't to find out. Besides, I refuse to fear the gov't. Fight it I will if need be, but I refuse to hide.

Also, the original question included the assumption that the gov't intention was not for regulation or intrustion but merely to get a tax credit. I took her question trusting the assumption, which is what you need to do when someone poses a hypothetical question.

For many of us, the local government and state already know we homeschool, so it wouldn't take much for the federal gov't to find out. Besides, I refuse to fear the gov't. Fight it I will if need be, but I refuse to hide.

Also, the original question included the assumption that the gov't intention was not for regulation or intrustion but merely to get a tax credit. I took her question trusting the assumption, which is what you need to do when someone poses a hypothetical question.

I'm in a state without registration. I would probably feel differently if I was already on a list somewhere. I'm not really talking about hiding, but not calling attention to ourselves either.

I agree about the hypothetical: my point was that even if it's not for regulation at first, that wouldn't last.

Actually, in theory, it's not. It's paying for the general education of the populace who cannot educate their children themselves (either through private school, tutors, or homeschooling) for whatever reason (usually because of a need for both parents to work; perhaps because of a lack of education of the parents). (In theory, of course. Nowadays public school is used by plenty of people who don't really *need* its services.)

I'm all for donating a part of my income to give future American voters a chance to learn to read, who otherwise would not have an education.

If it were not for public schools, I simply would not have gotten an education. Both my parents worked. While PS is not ideal (especially not anymore) it is, in theory, a way to help ensure the voting populace has enough education to rule itself wisely.

Great point. I have never completely thought of it this way - and I like it. Thanks for a great perspective!