Menu

What sweet thing does your dh do for you?

I thought it might be fun to brag on our husbands (and wives, if that applies :001_smile:).

Mine brings me fresh coffee in bed every morning. He also vacuums and mops every day before he goes to work.:001_wub:

What sweet thing(s) does your dh do for you?

I don't think my husband would really know what housework was if it hit him in the face, but he is really, really great about other things.

For instance, if I mention anything specifically that I would like his help with, even housework, he is Mr. Johnny on the Spot. I really love that I can depend on him like that.

He is also very supportive of me in disciplining the kids and enables me to have nights out whenever I need them.

In general, he is the most positive person I know, so that helps me adjust my perspective at times when I am dwelling on the negative.

Great question to reflect on!

Thursday, he picked me up in front of Ds' treatment center instead of letting me walk with him to the car in the rain.

He buys me garlic-stuffed olives, even though they are $7.99 a pound, which kills his frugal soul.

He grocery shops for our family so he can spend time with the youngest child (used to be the boys).

He always remembers the anniversary of our engagement in November.

He comes down the church aisles every Sunday at the Peace and kisses me, even if it stops the service for an extra moment.

My ds makes coffee in the morning, he's always up before me.

If he borrows my car he'll put gas in it, of course that might be because I'll run it to fumes before filling up.

He and ds do most of the weekly cleaning. I cook and dust, he is inherently neater than me.

He allows me time to myself. I had major allergy issues over the last year and spent too many evenings crashed in bed. He'll take care of ds and bring me dinner.

He texts me cute messages.

He works hard all day so I can stay home and be a mom/teacher.

He walks around the house without a shirt on...:D:lol::lol:

Oh, there are so many sweet things!

He rubs my feet every night.

He texts me all the time from work, just to say he loves me and is thinking about me.

He does the grocery shopping.

He gets up early on the weekends to feed the dogs.

Heck, I could go on forever--- I'm such a lucky gal! :001_wub:

astrid

My DH works really really hard to bring in a good salary. He makes me laugh ALL the time. He totally supports homeschooling the kids, even though he had some reservations way back when. When I am especially busy working (I work from home) he will pitch in and clean up/vacuum/do dishes. He drives everywhere so I can have some time to read. He takes really good care of us and is a great Dad. He totally "gets" me and likes a lot of the non mainstream things I like. He makes great tea!!

A local restaurant makes a soup that I just LOVE. Unfortunately, they don't make it very often, and it often wasn't available when we went to the restaurant.

A couple of years ago, my husband got the restaurant to put the soup on the menu when we went there to celebrate my birthday.

This year, he heard that the restaurant was closing. He contacted the owner and convinced him give us the recipe so that I could make it myself. The owner emailed it to me on my birthday. ;-)

My hubby is an amazing, thoughtful man. :)

Lisa

A local restaurant makes a soup that I just LOVE. Unfortunately, they don't make it very often, and it often wasn't available when we went to the restaurant.

A couple of years ago, my husband got the restaurant to put the soup on the menu when we went there to celebrate my birthday.

This year, he heard that the restaurant was closing. He contacted the owner and convinced him give us the recipe so that I could make it myself. The owner emailed it to me on my birthday. ;-)

My hubby is an amazing, thoughtful man. :)

Lisa

I'm pretty sure it is a violation of board rule not to post the recipe in a situation like this.

My dh is the sweetest, most generous man I know. Here are just a few of the wonderful things he does:

The dinner dishes EVERY night, no matter how late he's worked or how tired he is.

All the yard work - we live on acreage.

All the financial stuff - I never have to even think about it.

Says, "Happy Anniversary" on the day he asked me to marry him, the day he told me he loved me, the date of our first date, and of course our wedding anniversary.

Brings me chocolate and the chips I love when I'm PMSing.

Supports anything I want to dive into (even when I'm being OCD about it).

He is also the most grace filled person I know. He forgives people ANYTHING, no matter what. I had a young man at our church tell me that my dh was the person most like Jesus he had ever met.

When he's not at sea he will help with anything around the house I have on my to do list. I don't normally ask him to do anything because his job is so stressful that when he's home I want him to relax. But if he sees my list he'll jump right in and I'll be surprised when I go to do something and it's already done.

One of the best things though is when he's in port he always calls me before leaving the ship to see if I need him to pick up anything at the commissary which means I don't have to make the 45min trip up there. There are stores nearby that carry the items but he commissary is usually a lot cheaper, so he knows that makes me happy.

Although he's hands off when it comes to the schooling of the kids he is also willing to listen to me ramble on and on to myself about curricula and what to use, and when he sees me really getting frustrated will break the tension with something like "Slow down honey, those wheels are turning so fast I can see smoke coming out of your ears"

He really is a great guy and my best friend.

He makes me breakfast each morning if I am awake before he leaves otherwise he leaves me sleep on in peace.(I am not a morning person)

He makes the bed each morning before he leaves unless I am still in it. ( I am not a happy morning person.)

Since the dishes are usually not done each day when he gets home from work he just plunges right in to help with dinner and then does the kitchen clean up without a criticism.

On those days I never manage dinner he offers to pick up something on his way home.

He heads off to work each day so I can stay home and homeschool and he likes it that way.

I could gush on and I am sorry ladies but I somehow got the best man!

I love this thread! My dh is awesome in many ways, but my favorite has always been how I get the welcome home kiss first, then he kisses the kids. He always reminds them that I was here first and that I'll be here long after they are gone.

oh, LOVE this thread!!!

He is my biggest fan, biggest supporter, and protects me in every way possible.

He has the coffee ready for me on weekends and keeps everyone quiet until I awake. I'll come down late and looking like h*ll and all he sees is the woman he's mad about and greets me with the biggest smile, hug and kiss.

He always compliments my efforts with the kids, school, house or how I take care of myself.

He loves to cook me my favorites or call me on the way home from work to tell me not to cook because he has a surprise for me. Often times that surprise will be for me only, and he'll cook it for me (steamers and lobster or sushi are my favorites!) and then cook everyone else dinner but sit and watch me eat mine.

He is a good provider and NEVER complains about the mountains of vet bills, or feed bills, to care for my 37 animals.

I *really* wanted to adopt, he never did but finally agreed to it after my praying about it for YEARS. He never ONCE holds me responsible for the uproar our a-daughter with severe issues has caused in our family.

He pays all the bills on time and keeps our credit superb. I never, ever do any of the paperwork.

He encourages me to do something for myself on a regular basis.

He is always there to comfort me when I'm down, rub my feet when they're sore, listen to me when I need to talk. Always. Friday night he tickled my back until I fell to sleep. :p

He likes me to buy myself stuff, but I rarely do. I don't NEED anything. Still, he never, ever gripes when I do.

I've had some real hard times recently and his heart aches for me. Last week my best friend was flying across country to see me and her plane was delayed by two hours. I was having a REAL bad day and I just sat and cried and cried at the thought of having to get her after midnight, and this is TOTALLY not like me. Dh came into the bathroom with tears in his eyes to give me a huge hug, tell me he's so sorry I'm going through a tough time, and offered to get her even though he's the one who awakes early for work. Of course I wouldn't allow that - I always worry about him getting enough sleep... because I love HIM. (it's silly, really, he's an AWESOME sleeper!)

He's the BEST and I'm SO lucky to have him!!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Oh, where to begin...

He gives me pedicures.

He makes a pancake breakfast every weekend and lets me sleep in.

He handles the kids' bathtime 99% of the time.

He makes me a bubble bath with candles when he sees that I'm becoming a basket-case from a particularly hard day.

He never complains about the nearly constant arrival of more books.

He never complains when I buy yet another bookshelf. He just puts it together and asks me where I want it.

He grills dinner whenever the kids or I want him to.

He completely supports me and homeschooling, emotionally and financially.

He is the tidiest person in this house and doesn't ever leave messes. In fact, if the kids or pets make a mess (of the unmentionable sort), he cleans it up 95% of the time...just gets that wet vac out and goes after it. Man, this might be better than a pedicure. :lol:

I could go on but I was supposed to be scheduling our study of colonial times...

I love this thread - and even after reading all the responses so far I still think I got the best man out there...

Hubby will do anything and everything - from housework to travel to helping with the kids (3 boys). He shares my passion for God, nature and travel. He shares my dreams. He never puts me down even when I'm moody and might do it to him. He works hard and has built a great reputation with his business. He doesn't need the house - or anything in it - just so. He never questions what I spend money on (it helps here that we share the same beliefs on $$). He never questions what curriculum I choose. He never questions whether or not I say yes/no about going in to work (I sub in our local high school).

I'm sure there's more. I feel so blessed. I only wish I were as nice to him as he always is to me. I try to be, but sometimes when those hormones hit...

He makes the coffee, gets it for me, walks the dog, he'll keep the kids quiet if he knows I need to sleep, he makes sure the car is safe to a T (cars? Is THAT what that thing is? I have to do WHAT to it?) he charges my phone, and slogs through curriculum choices when I'm hitting a wall.

He never moans or complains about the house, the food, or anything. When he knew I wanted to be a writer he bought me a laptop, and he makes sure I get time away every month to go to writers meetings. He never let my growing in a different way than he intimdate him.

He is an incredible provider, and never once has he held it over me-it's always been just as much mine to do with as his.

He never moans about the amazon bill. He takes care of ALL the paperwork for us (I HATE it with the fire of 10k suns)

He will come home and take me out to dinner if I make that frantic phone call. It happens rarely but when it does he knows it's serious and he makes sure the wine glass is kept full.

Even though he works more than 14 hours a day, he helps with the house when he can and helps with dishes and dinner.

Backrubs. Whenever I ask for them.

He lets the girls do his hair and lets me take pictures.

He asks my advice.

When I'm skitzing out he makes me laugh. Totally disarms me with a few words and I'm laughing like a loon.

He makes the bed in the morning. He mops the kitchen floor, because I don't like to. He deals with all the household finances (I did it for the first 15 years.) He makes dinner every Sunday night. He remembers to charge my cell phone. He tells people that we homeschool because I am the smartest person he has ever met. He defends me to anyone who might make a snide remark about SAHMs. Once a vendor came into his office & while they were chit-chatting, it came up that the vendor's wife was a SAHM. The man said "She stays home with the kids because she can't handle the real world. What a waste of college, huh?" After a moment of silence my DH asked him to leave because not only had the man just insulted his own wife, but DH felt that it was insulting to me as well. He has loved me and cared for me through months of morning sickness and bed rest, through raging hormones and a couple nasty cases of PPD. In fact, he has loved me when I am just plain unloveable. 4 children, 40lbs and 23 years after we met when asked in a couples class what he admires most about me he said, "She is so beautiful." and by golly, he sounded like he really meant it!

Now I really wish that he were not two states away so I could let him know how much I appreciate him.

Amber in SJ

My DH and I are separated, but he still does sweet things for me.

He still comes over on trash day to take out my cans (and brings them back in on his way from work the next day). He also does the yard work.

He works with me on the homeschooling thing, which he was originally against (the idea of). My job requires frequent travel, so his help is imperative to our homeschooling.

If he is off from work, he will drop me off and pick me up at the airport. This saves me an hour on each side (going TO work and coming HOME from work) plus I get to avoid the Hades that is the Employee Parking Lot.

One day a week he works the midnight shift (11pm to 6am). That morning, without fail, I wake up to a Starbucks on my night table (he stops on his way from work to his house). It happens to be the same day the trash cans get taken out and brought back in, but hey - it's a thoughtful gesture in and of itself :)

My dh folds the laundry, and works very hard to provide us with a beautiful home.

He surprises me with really cute outfits, he has done this since we were dating. He has wonderful taste and I always loves what he picks out for me.

He is wonderful with the kids, has the patience of a saint and he still gives me butterflies :001_wub:

I don't know if I can list all the wonderful things my hubby does!

Ok, for all the years we've been married he has rubbed my feet and/or my back EVERY night.

He grills a lot in the summer.

He does ANYTHING that I ask him to - even gross, nasty housecleaning stuff.

He is an awesome father.

He is a devoted Christian - He prays for me everyday - that's the sweetest thing.

I have terrible migraines and he brings me caffeine and makes the kids be quiet and leave me alone.

He is sensitive and kind - loving and caring - ok, he's just about perfect!

Honestly, I've never met a man like I've got and I'm glad he's mine!

I almost forgot one - He has never left to go somewhere without kissing me and the children bye and telling us how much he loves us. Even if he leaves the house 5 times in one day.

He also never gets off the phone without saying I love you.

He's the greatest. AH...thanks for reminding me how awesome he is. I think I'll go snuggle him awhile :)

Edited by MOM24WONDERS
I forgot some great things...haha

I thought it might be fun to brag on our husbands (and wives, if that applies :001_smile:).

Mine brings me fresh coffee in bed every morning. He also vacuums and mops every day before he goes to work.:001_wub:

Well, he doesn't do this all the time, but this week he cut 1240 tiny little bamboo pieces for my VBS project. Then he cut out 80 pieces of cardboard and 80 pieces of terracotta clay for me! I was so happy to have all that VBS work done for me! Just awesome!

Wow! My husband doesn't drink coffee anymore, so I'm never given coffee anymore.

Thanks for for EVERY meal. Never complains about it being too crispy or cold, etc!

Always says I love you & Good Morning first! I never saw it modeled & am often busy at a task... horrible of me.

Takes kids to movies or even with him to store... to give me a break.

I am blessed! God sent me a wonderful husband!

Okay, this thread just makes me want to cry. You ladies are so fortunate.

Dawn, surely your hubby loves you and you love him. Have you read about love languages? Maybe your hubby loves you in his own way and Acts of Service is NOT his thing?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Maybe a good ole discussion can help both of you to learn how to speak each other's love language.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Dawn, surely your hubby loves you and you love him. Have you read about love languages? Maybe your hubby loves you in his own way and Acts of Service is NOT his thing?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Maybe a good ole discussion can help both of you to learn how to speak each other's love language.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Yes, my husband shows me love. We actually share acts of service as one of our love languages.

It's just been one of those months.

He takes me on a date night once a week.

He fixes and builds things.

He tells me I'm amazing and that he couldn't live without me.

He works hard.

He would buy me anything I wanted.

He is faithful.

Does most of the yardwork.

Brings me back tiramisu whenever he goes out to dinner with his brother.

Helps clean the house alot.

Gives me time to myself.

Does NOT do laundry. This is my request. It's just a mess whenever he washes clothes.

Vacuums and sweeps alot. Brushes the dog alot. I have allergies so he tries to help with that.

Tells me he loves me everyday.

There are so many little things that I just could ramble on forever...

Wow, it's hard to know where to begin when I have the best hubby ever!

--He always remembers the anniversary of when he asked me to marry him, and our wedding anniversary, of course!

--He tells me how well I do with homeschooling, meals, cleaning...

--He says I just make his day when I get up early with him and help him make his lunch for work (so I almost always get up early, even though I'm NOT a morning person! :001_huh: ), and thanks me EVERY morning!

--He tells me I'm beautiful

--He makes me laugh

--He's a strong Christian Leader in our home and our church

--He adores our children

--His love language is Acts of Service--he does all the bill-paying, mowing, roof-cleaning, etc.

--I immensely dislike pairing and folding socks, and folding laundry in general, so he does it

--He rubs/scratches/tickles my back for me--one of my very favorite things (my main love language is Physical Touch and Closeness)

--He makes sure that he and I hug while he prays for our family every morning before he leaves for work. After prayer we kiss, then we have a special signal we do, as he backs out of the driveway, that means I love you! We do that every morning unless I'm sick or overly tired and don't get up

--He tells our chldren what a wonderful mom they have :001_smile:

--He calls from work at least 3 or more times a week just to talk with me (my heart still skips a beat when I hear his voice!)

--He also does many of the things that others have said........including walking around the house without his shirt on, as Paula mentioned! :D

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I'll stop now. :001_smile:

We've been married for over 21 years now, and are deeply in FOREVER love!!!:001_wub::001_wub: He is such an awesome husband! I love sharing about how great a guy he is, so thanks for this opportunity! When friends get married I tell them that the best gift I could give them would be a marriage like ours! But since I can't give that, I have another gift, and tell them I will pray for them to have a long and happy marriage!

Edited by Brindee

What an excellent thread. I've been a little crabby lately and reading these posts made me realize I've been taking dh for granted during this crabby time.

SO - I'm going to post my list, then see if dh wants to turn in a little earlier tonight....

The love of my life works super long hours (he got home at 9:30 tonight - a 14 hour day) to provide all the necessities plus an indulgence every once in a while.

He takes care of math with the girls.

He does the grocery shopping.

In the winter, when we get into bed, he lets me put my cold feet & hands on him to warm them up. This is super sweet of him because I am always SO cold!

He keeps my car filled with gas, even though I don't mind doing it.

Here's my favorite: When I was so sick during my first pregnancy and couldn't scrub the shower because I'd puke every time and because he didn't want me breathing in the fumes from the cleaner, he would clean it for me and never stopped doing it! I clean it sometimes, as well, but usually he'll just do it on Saturday mornings after his shower!

He rubs my back and my feet just about every time I ask.

He enjoys cooking, so will sometimes surprise us with a new recipe.

He supports me in homeschooling and doesn't question me when I spend his hard earned money on curriculum.

He is always telling me how much he loves me.

He remembers what I was wearing, right down to the earrings, the night of our first 'date' (18 years ago). This is sweet to me because he couldn't tell you what I had on yesterday.

He would actually do anything for me and there are so many more things I could list, but it's time to say good night! ;)

Sheri :)

Among many others, one of my favorites is........

When I had a friend take pregnant belly pictures of my most recent pregancy she decided to edit out my stretch marks. I thought my belly looked quite nice without them......HE, however, was quite upset and would actually rather look at my VERY stretch-marked belly than the edited version. He said it just didn't look right......nice, nice man!

I love him so.

Oh my goodness...you guys have me missing my dh something terrible. ;)

Each day I wake up to a new email, he sends me little gifts and hand written letters. He bought me my dream car right before he left. He always makes sure we have everything we need.

My dh is awesome. Since RSD hit, he's taken over the heavy housework.

He always thanks me for meals.

He tells me I'm a great Mom.

He totally supports homeschooling

He's a fantastic, hands on Dad.

He tells me I'm beautiful.

He always kisses me goodbye.