Menu

I was appalled today at a book store...

While I was waiting for older dd to finish her diving practice, I went to a nearby bookstore. There was an emplyee in the children's section reading a story aloud to a large group of children. So many great book out there, and she was reading... (wait for it...)

Sponge Bob Square Pants! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

(I have no problem with Sponge Bob as a cartoon, for adults anyway... but really? Do you have to choose that as your read aloud?)

It's Spongebob's 10th "birthday" today, and some bookstores are holding celebrations.

Cat

Well, good to know there's at least a reason. I guess.

But SpongBob is a cartoon character, not a literary one! It's not like he's Dr. Suess.

Gag -- that's pretty bad. I understand (but it still bothers me) The Polar Express at Christmas time, Horton Hears a Who when that movie came out, because as stated before, they are bonafide children's literature. But Sponge Bob? GOOD GRAVY!!!!

On Thursday afternoon, I stood muttering to myself -- staring at a rack of coloring books -- at a chain bookstore (not THE chain, but a big one) trying to get a couple of good coloring books for the girls to take on a road trip. 95% of them were cartoon or movie tie-ins. The other ones were either $12 for super high-end quality, or awful... I ended up getting them each what they wanted, muttering to myself all the way to the cash register. :angry:

Edited by BikeBookBread

Gag -- that's pretty bad. I understand (but it still bothers me) The Polar Express at Christmas time, Horton Hears a Who when that movie came out, because as stated before, they are bonafide children's literature. But Sponge Bob? GOOD GRAVY!!!!

Why does The Polar Express bother you?

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Isn't there room for a little junk now and then? I'm not talking about a steady stream but my kids enjoy SB sometimes. He's a good and loyal friend who would do anything to help anyone. He's annoying, that's true. But his heart is golden. He's not such a bad guy. Everything in moderation. Every diet deserves a little chocolate.

Isn't there room for a little junk now and then? I'm not talking about a steady stream but my kids enjoy SB sometimes. He's a good and loyal friend who would do anything to help anyone. He's annoying, that's true. But his heart is golden. He's not such a bad guy. Everything in moderation. Every diet deserves a little chocolate.

:iagree:I am one of Spongebob's loyal fans.:D He is such a dear - very kind and always wanting to do the right thing. I can't take him in large doses, but I think he's adorable from time to time. Oh, and I do think the OP is right about it not being read-aloud fare. That's definitely annoying - 10th birthday or not.

Chocolate is wonderful, and I agree that every diet ought to have a little :) But SpongeBob is just tacky. He may be a loyal friend, but his show is sophmoric. Do I really want my kids to enjoy a cartoon that takes place in Bikini Beach B*tt*m? They pick up enough junk without adding this in... And as to the read-a-louds at the bookstore - How sad! Of all the tremendous books available... Ok, sorry, just had to vent :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I resisted sponge bob for a long time. But my boys love him. Yes, he's junk entertainment. But sometimes I watch/read/play junk entertainment, too. We all need a break now and then.

I am so glad we do not have cable!

I hate ignorant cartoons.

At least Scooby Doo has a plot.

Yeah, but it's the same plot every week. A ghost/creature trying to scare people away from some spot, the meddlesome kids chase it, pull the mask off, and it's the competitor who wants to own the spot. :tongue_smilie:

But still...I'd rather watch that than Spongebob.

Yeah, but it's the same plot every week. A ghost/creature trying to scare people away from some spot, the meddlesome kids chase it, pull the mask off, and it's the competitor who wants to own the spot. :tongue_smilie:

Can't help it, love the original Scooby Do. :)

But so many kids only ever get junk. A bookstore reading time may be the only opportunity they ever get to be exposed to quality literature. They probably won't get it in school anymore, and the library is full of junk. Unless their parents know to seek it out, they may never know that books can go beyond junk.

But so many kids only ever get junk. A bookstore reading time may be the only opportunity they ever get to be exposed to quality literature. They probably won't get it in school anymore, and the library is full of junk. Unless their parents know to seek it out, they may never know that books can go beyond junk.

My kids love SpongeBob. I don't mind it for a little bit. As they get older, they gradually like him less and less. In moderation, a little silly never hurt anyone (after all, I grew up on afternoon reruns of "Gilligan's Island" and "Get Smart."

Silly can be silly knock-knock jokes or Mad Libs (for the sake of silly, not for the grammar benefits) or "Tom and Jerry" or "Hannah Montana."

I don't think SpongeBob should horrify anyone, especially if the store was celebrating the cultural phenomenon's 10th birthday. Just don't choose to go to that bookstore's storytime.

I can understand reading it because it was the 10th anniversary/birthday, but I hope they read something good as well. Story-time at a bookstore or library is a perfect opportunity for kids to be introduced to the really good stuff on the shelves.

With that said, my kids like to watch Spongebob, and I have even seen a few episodes that I liked (like the one where he ends up on a bus to "Rock Bottom"... story of my life :D). I am glad, though, that they don't choose to read the books. My girls like to watch Hannah Montana, but they won't touch the books. :001_smile:

I cannot stand Spongebob. Luckily, my girls have picked up on this and they dislike him too (they are 5 and 2). I dont mind some cartoonish books like Franklin, the Berenstein Bears, Dora, etc.....just not Spongebob! Ugh!

In all fairness, Franklin and the Berenstein Bears were popular children's books before they were TV shows.

Young kids like the formulaic plot because they like the repetition. At the same time, the details change so it remains fun to guess "whodunit" in each episode.

We don't read books based on TV shows, but we will do the reverse (watch TV based on books).

I would love to know the supposed virtues of Spongebob... I never found any so we don't watch him.

Here's the article I mentioned - SpongeBob's Golden Dream

A couple of excerpts:

But where Ren and Stimpy seemed bent on freaking out the more fragile (or stoned) sectors of its audience, the SquarePants writers are interested in stories, even in lessons. Again and again, a kind of innocence triumphs—over fear, over snobbery, and over skepticism.

Bikini Bottom is also an effortlessly postmodern place, a baby-blue void in which all manner of cultural bric-a-brac drifts and combines....Various masterpieces hang in the great Atlantean halls, and Squidward is thrilled to discover that he can enter them bodily; he climbs into Van Gogh’s crooked bed, and drapes his proboscis alongside the fondant clocks in Dalí’s Persistence of Memory. “Ask your Mama or your Dada,†he sings, perched inside Marcel Duchamp’s famous urinal, “to tell you about the schism between Minimalism and Cubism.â€

But I've never found the innocence, charm or cultural critiques in the Spongebob books, only in the TV show. I enjoy watching it with the kids although what I get out of it tends to be different.

Wow. I feel like a bad h/s'r now! We love SpongeBob.

You know ... for fun.

I think the show's one of the funniest things on TV -- DD and I can both appreciate the humor at different levels. There's almost always a moral although it's never produced by dropping anvils on the audience's collective head.

I guess for me, I would want to inspire the children to become interested in literature they may not have already heard about on television. I would want to excite them about authors and books they may have never encountered.

Oh, and I think Franklin books are sweet. He has a great relationship with his parents.

While I was waiting for older dd to finish her diving practice, I went to a nearby bookstore. There was an emplyee in the children's section reading a story aloud to a large group of children. So many great book out there, and she was reading... (wait for it...)

Sponge Bob Square Pants! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

(I have no problem with Sponge Bob as a cartoon, for adults anyway... but really? Do you have to choose that as your read aloud?)

We just get dumb, dumb, and dumber!

Anniversary or not... read something about the sea or a real sea sponge.:lol: So sad. Just make quick bucks & kids can read garbage...as long as they pay $6.99.

I don't suppose the employee who chose the SpongeBob book was really thinking about much other than that it was popular.

He or she didn't have a philosophy of children's education or literature. But I do. And I see people like this as having a responsibility to children to *think* about more than popular, more than how to make a buck. Maybe that's what the businessmen in charge of the bookstore are thinking of. But it's wrong. Wrong to push cr*p instead of good books when you have the chance. Our culture will push the cr*p enough without extra help from story-time readers.

It just makes me want to climb atop my soapbox and hold forth about the need for beautiful words and images to feed small souls and minds.

Or maybe I'll stay in my little WTM corner of the world where I'm preaching to the choir.

HAAAAAA... good point... but honey I love the SB! Have you seen how many times they weave in topics and humor that appeals to both kids and adults? Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy, for example. Great parody of the old Batman TV series. Subtle but silly humor.

BTW, to the OP... anyone knows that back in the day... the small mom and pop bookstores cultivated literature and great titles. They were then bought out by big chain stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble who look for the bottom line... $$$. Personally, this is a silly argument to quibble over a megastore hawking a title driven by $$$. Hell-ooo? That's why I don't go to the megachain bookstores. (But that is a totally different argument. LOL)

Edited by tex-mex

I don't suppose the employee who chose the SpongeBob book was really thinking about much other than that it was popular.

He or she didn't have a philosophy of children's education or literature. But I do. And I see people like this as having a responsibility to children to *think* about more than popular, more than how to make a buck. Maybe that's what the businessmen in charge of the bookstore are thinking of. But it's wrong. Wrong to push cr*p instead of good books when you have the chance. Our culture will push the cr*p enough without extra help from story-time readers.

I seriously doubt that the person reading the book picked it out herself. I have a friend who works at a big box bookstore, and pretty much everything the employees do is programmed ahead of time. Last time I talked to her, the corporate office was trying to prove to book wholesalers that they could get a mediocre book on the bestseller list by having their employees push the book to every single customer that comes in the door.

I am appalled at many things, but what is a read-aloud at a bookstore is not one of them.

Oh, I'm sure they could read aloud something that would appall you. ;)

In the mean time I will count myself lucky that my life is so tame that I'm appalled by a read-aloud. (Really. I'm not being sarcastic here. Thanks for putting things in perspective.)

I am so glad we do not have cable!

I hate ignorant cartoons.

At least Scooby Doo has a plot.

We like SpongeBob here...my son has learned about strikes and picketing from SpongeBob and several other good things. SpongeBob is a commentary...it does have good stuff in it if you sit there and watch (and is one of the only cartoons I can stand to watch with my kids).

It just makes me want to climb atop my soapbox and hold forth about the need for beautiful words and images to feed small souls and minds.

Or maybe I'll stay in my little WTM corner of the world where I'm preaching to the choir.

I was an English major in college. We own thousands of books...and we love SpongeBob. I have no problem with someone reading it to children in a library or a bookstore...however I don't really have a problem with what some here like to call "twaddle" in general. Great literature is great...but so is the other fun stuff out there. My responsibility to children includes introducing them to these types of books too. I see merit in them.

Franklin and Little Bear were just two characters we could never get into around here!

I never enjoyed reading Little Bear books, but my boys liked them. I also never enjoyed reading Winnie the Pooh, but the boys loved them. We all love Franklin, though. I've actually cried in one of them. :lol:

I was an English major in college. We own thousands of books...and we love SpongeBob. I have no problem with someone reading it to children in a library or a bookstore...however I don't really have a problem with what some here like to call "twaddle" in general. Great literature is great...but so is the other fun stuff out there. My responsibility to children includes introducing them to these types of books too. I see merit in them.

If all that children are exposed to is censored or classic and pristine then what will they have as a comparison model? I have no problems with mine reading Spongebob or other fun material. It has never been done to the exclusion of great reading material. We are equal opportunity readers! :D

I really don't see the big deal (in my house). My kids have been perfectly able to enjoy the Narnia books, Little House books, poetry books, classic fairy tales, and anything else I present to them while also reading and watching Spongebob. And just about every other Nickelodeon creation. Though they do prefer non-fiction.

But hey, I read Don Quixote and Danielle Steel simultaneously. ;)

Someone made the comment that there's a lot of subtlety in the cartoon ... does ANY of that come across in the books?

I will admit, I've only seen snippets of the cartoon, and the characters were acting rudely, so we haven't watched it. And I won't let Grandma buy the books for the kids. (They can be quite rude enough on their own!) :)

But now, I'm kind of curious about the cartoon.

And I totally agree that often what is good in a cartoon or show can be TOTALLY lost in the book spin-offs. Maybe that's the problem here? Not that Spongebob is silly or whatever, but that there wasn't really much of anything redeeming in the chosen picture book?

Just wondering.