Menu

How much did you spend/are you spending this year?

How much did you/ are you spending this year?  

1. 1. How much did you/ are you spending this year?

On materials- far less this year than previous years. I am good with 2nd hand stuff. And I just didn't need much for some reason. (nothing to do with the fact my shelves are stacked with resources I bought over the last 6 years, of course :) )

Classes- thats another matter. Costs me a heap each year.

I spent $204 so far on:

First Form Latin I

Algebra set with DVDs done by Dana Mosley of CD Math

History Odyssey level II, year III

The Elements

OM Physical Science

Living Memory

Plan to buy:

Carbon Chemistry

Mapping the World with Art

Diogenes: Maxim

LLOTR

Progeny Press guides for LOTR

We'll most likely fall just under $370 if I can locate a few more items on the swap board or EBAY, as we already own Analytical Gramar and required resources and literature selections for LLOTR & HO.

I'm not sure how much co-op art & music classes will cost--maybe around $400 for the year.

Edited by Carmen_and_Company

I was only including curriculum in my total. I think it's up to you though. Some people include all the extra curricular, in their budget, but we have that separate from education because we would be spending that whether we were homeschooling or not. We don't take any outside classes, but if we did, I would include that.

I was thinking maybe we should start another poll with the averages. So, I spent around $400 on two kids, that's $200 per kid. Some have spent more, but they have more kids thus spending less on average than me. I find these discussions fascinating because society claims we need to spend thousands of dollars on each kid's education, or we're not providing them with the best education possible. I find it encouraging to see that we don't HAVE to spend thousands of dollars on each kid, and they're doing just fine.

Keep your votes coming!

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS you highschool moms are my heros!

I think because this is our first year it is more. We are at least $1,200, closer to $1,500 after all is said and done. I have had a hard time finding what I want used.

That's really good though! You spend about $300-$400 per kid, right? That's why I probably should do a poll on averages. Maybe next time :001_smile:

I think we need two polls - one for those with only elementary aged kids, and one for those with middle and high schoolers. ;) Just the math and science for my 7th grader costs close to $300. :001_huh: I buy used whenever I can, and I get books from the library as often as is practical, but I will still come in around $800 for two children.

I don't know for sure, because I've bought the first grade stuff in dribs and drabs over the course of the last few years, but I chose $299 or less

Hmm...

Latin $20

Math $27, will probably spend $5 more

Handwriting $8

Geography $15, maybe double that if I find a globe

History $15 or so

Science, not including experiment supplies which will probably be mostly found/household items, under $30 for the two experiment books we may use this year and the Kingfisher encyclopedias we've had for 2 years already

Phonics $9 if you count the 100EZ lessons book we started using in K; otherwise just the cost of some printouts

Art $5 for Drawing with Children

We might use FLL, which I paid $10 for, maybe?

Assuming at the high end $100 for paper, art supplies, etc. (I doubt I'll spend that much this year, though), and that brings my grand total to about...

$240 total, or so.

Almost all of it will have resale value or (more likely) I'll save it to use with future children.

We rely heavily on the library, use some resources available for free download on the internet, and most everything else I've found secondhand either here, on other HS boards, or at local used bookstores.

So, you will spend $900 a year on math for a 6yo?:scared: I can't even imagine that! I've heard of Kumon, but I don't know exactly what it is. I'm not trying to be rude, honestly! I just wonder why you decided on that program?

But families will think nothing of spending $90/ month on gymnastics lessons twice a week or over $900 a year on touring soccer teams.

Ds began Kumon math 2 years ago at the end of this month. My big boys were gone during the summer (they are from a previous marriage) and the little man needed something to occupy his time so that he wasn't sitting around missing them. The prior summer he had just been pathetic to the point of not wanting to eat. He loves math so that seemed like a good place to focus.

We decided on Kumon because there are so many Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern families. Dh is Persian, but homeschoolers in our neck of the woods tend to be mostly Christian, Caucasian American. It's not bad, but there just isn't much diversity. We decided that Kumon would be nice not only as an educational supplement but also as a cultural experience. It is nice for the little guy to see lots of people who have coloring similar to his dad.

Ds also does other math in addition to Kumon. Kumon is a supplemental program and most of the kids who attend do not homeschool. Many of these kids ds has been around for two years now. Despite the variety of ages and the fact that these are not homeschoolers in many ways I have come to think of these children as ds's academic peer group.

I also strongly believe in Kumon education and its ability to instill good study habits and perseverance. Not only has my oldest completed their reading program but I have been working in their junior room since last fall.

It works well for us and I cannot recommend it enough. :thumbup1:

Mandy

We're over the $1500 mark, but that includes online classes for the older two ($1200 next school year.) I try and buy everything else used and look for curriculum that I can reuse with each child. As long as we stay under the cost of one month of private school for four children - I don't feel guilty. :D

I checked the $300-600 range. That covers basic subjects (phonics, grammar, writing, spelling, math, SOTW AG, science). It doesn't include piano or other lessons (we would do this regardless of school choice) or the myriad supplemental fiction and non-fiction books I would probably buy anyway.

My list says about $800 for 3 kids (one is only a Pre-K). I'm sure that won't be the final number b/c I'll find many of the non-consumables used. We're switching some basics (R&S English to BJU, and Horizons math to Singapore) so I have some texts and TM's to sell which should help. Compared to private school it's a bargain!

I'll probably be spending around $650 for my oldest, then another $200 for my 2nd ds, so around $850. If I end up buying a microscope, it'll be another $100-200. I was lucky last year and didn't have to buy much of anything. This year is going to be a bit painful, and I'm still working out how I'm going to pay for it all. :tongue_smilie:

I was going to spend a lot less this year before I started hanging out at the WTM forum. Well-Trained Mind -that's me. Yup! See Lisa. Show Lisa new curriculum on the WTM forum. See Lisa run w/ open wallet to nearest vendor. I am a mother who has no right to have had in-depth discussions this week w/ dc on peer pressure and addiction. Can you say "weak", "weak, "weak" and "fun", "fun", "fun":D

I think we need two polls - one for those with only elementary aged kids, and one for those with middle and high schoolers. ;) Just the math and science for my 7th grader costs close to $300. :001_huh: I buy used whenever I can, and I get books from the library as often as is practical, but I will still come in around $800 for two children.

:iagree: TT USED is at least $100, Apologia upper level courses with the CD's USED $75 or so, then there are microscopes, chemistry set stuff. Upper grades are definately more costly.

Got four kids (8-15, grades 3-10) and we will buy a microscope, pay for violin lessons, ballet, and orchestra so it's a pricey year. We've not started buying for next year, really, except I've picked up Apologia Chemistry and LOF Geometry.

Sigh. And our vet bills have been high lately. Always something.

...field trips and activities. Thankfully, I don't drop that whole sum all at once and all in the same place.

A fellow homeschooler mentioned that she tries to spread out her purchases by buying bit by bit over the summer months. Sounds like a good idea that I'm trying out now. It definitely has helped us get over the "sticker shock" of how much materials cost.

:auto:

I am spending about $500 for 5 school-age kids, including our co-op fee, but not including things like dance, tae kwon do, and piano, which the grandmas pay for (thank heavens!). :)

:bigear: Tell me how you are doing that? I will spend that much on Math and Biology/Chemistry and a microscope!

Oh...I should have added to my earlier post, "ask me again next year!" I bought HOD this year for both kids. My oldest is doing Beyond and youngest is doing Bigger. Next year...my youngest will do Bigger...so....I won't have to spend much for him at all! YAY!!!! Just buy the CTC from HOD for my older...but I can sell Beyond for a great price, I am sure. :)

I placed my amazon order tonight. Why isn't it here yet:tongue_smilie: I'm guessing the grand total for 1st grade materials is about $200. Not included in that though are many books/resources that I already have and will continue to use for the new school year.

I am spending around $5000 for 4 kids BUT close to $1500-2000 is just due to the exchange rate and shipping,My Sonlight order alone will be close to $1200CDN for shipping and exchange. Luckily $3700 of it is covered with my homeschool funding for the year and I spent close to $700 of my funding this past year on books for next year. So only about $600 out of pocket. That is using Sonlight (4 cores), and WP and a few odds and ends for things like latin, lang arts and math.

Edited by swellmomma

well, i am cheap, cheap, cheap! we spend less than $500 on our 3 + reading preschooler. i am not including ballet lessons and soccer, as they would have those activities if they were in public school too. if i did add them, the soccer would add $70 but ballet nothing because my fabulous parents cover that.

i do get a kick out of getting something as cheaply as possible. true, no high school kids yet but we've been able to recycle lots of our books to the next child and get lots from the library and thrift stores. we find joy and freedom in being thrifty.

d 12, d 10, s7, s5, s20mo + one next year

I have spent more this year than ever and am not finished shopping. UGH!

My goal has always been to keep it around $300 for actual curriculum. So far, I have been able to do that.....until this year!

I spent $300 just for IEW this year! But, I know that I can use it for more than one year AND I can resell it when finished.

I purchased cores 3 and 4 from a friend for $125 each, so we are set with that.

I need more language arts, grammar, and math still.

Dawn

I don't even want to think about it........ I'm running a rough estimate of over $2K. Tapestry of Grace, Dialectic, Upper, & Lower Grammar Levels - all books Saxon Math Algebra 1/2, Saxon 65, Rod & Staff Arithmetic 2, Latin Road, and I'm hoping for IEW at tax time. Sigh. If my excitement wasn't totally overrun by nausea at how much this is going to cost...... ;) I just keep repeating to myself, "Non-consumable, seven more children going through it, non-consumable, seven more children...." And, I admit, I called the local private school and got them to quote me tuition costs so I could feel better. No, really, I did.

I think we need two polls - one for those with only elementary aged kids, and one for those with middle and high schoolers.

Can I second that? I spend practically nothing on my PreK, K, and 2nd grader. It's the 5th and 8th grader. Are other counting lessons? Yipes. Piano, guitar...... Sigh. This will be the most we've EVER spent in one year by at least double. Most years we're running in the $400-$600 range for all the kids. This year is going to be huge for us. But, it's been a choice. We've decided to buy all the books that go with Tapestry and that's a big choice. But, we'll OWN them and be able to stay reliably on schedule instead of doing what I usually do and hope the library will reserve it or hope it comes up cheap used. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed to find TOG Redesign used cheap late this summer, but not holding my breath. Most likely, we'll break it up into units and buy the books one unit at a time. IEW will wait for taxes. I will admit I'm starting to get fanatical about treating the non-consumables nicely. It was one thing when Ana was little and I thought it was cute to see her drag books around everywhere. Now the kids know, "Put up that dust jacket!" "Hey! Be careful of the spine!" "We don't lay books down like that!" I keep telling myself it's teaching them to value and care for things instead of just dealing with Mom.

Guest jdlum

I am new at this- starting my 2nd grade girl in the fall. (4yr old boy tag-along) I just spent about 500.00 at a convention- lots of studying on "whats' best"- finally just threw my hands up on all my research over 3 years! and am trusting the Lord- go figure.

I spent about 500- explode the code, reason for spelling, CC foundations stuff, used Story of the World stuff, mommy books on Classical Ed. math manupulatives (used- will get books from friend), exploring Gods creation (science), health books and some purity books.

I have joined a CC group (another 400).. and am looking into TOG.... hoping to recycle- ebay when I sort it all out....

I hate to think- certainly over the $1500 mark- but I dont purchase everything all at once.

I try and buy purchases from Oz ( our MUS, and spelling/comprehension books etc) when I know we have visitors coming, as the postage can get quite expensive! ( we have visitors arriving in Sept, and they will lug over the Pre- Algebra books/manuals for us- they just haven't been told yet :D )

As we dont have a large library ( it has 6 book shelves + is only open 2 hrs a week) so we need to buy all reference books/reading materials that we need/want.

But- it works out cheaper than the approx $ 20,000 US EACH (per year) that education would cost us in an international school here.:svengo:

I'm spending about $500 on general curriculum materials for both kids, but my actual total will be much higher because I'm expecting to have to buy 2-3 levels of Barton ($300 for each level if I teach it myself *or* $300 a month to continue to pay a tutor) and $100 a month for art lessons. So... gulp... :001_unsure: anywhere from $2000 to $3800 depending on how the year unfolds.

I'm still in the "too young for many hand-me-downs" stage, but I'm working towards it.

I tend to purchase new curriculum. I get it on sale, if I can, but I don't stress it. I did purchase some curriculum that I don't *need* right now, knowing that I will need them later, because of the pricing. On the other hand, there are things we will need around January I didn't purchase now, because (a) they weren't on-sale and (b) I didn't want to store them until January.

I have 5 kids. 3 are school age.

I've purchased for 2009-2010:

5th grader:

K12- American History before 1865

K12- Advanced Earth Science

K12- Art: American A

K12- English A

Math -- Chalkdust Basic Math (will finish this around Christmas and move onto Pre-Algebra, which I have not purchased yet)

Bible- Explorers Genesis

Latin- Latin for Children C

Health- Abeka Exploring Good Health

Penmanship/Copywork (Abeka/Queen Homeschool)

I also purchased some additional books from Abeka, grammar, Of America II, Read & Think Skill Sheets and a speed reading/comprehension exercise book.

2nd grader:

K12- History 2

K12- Science 2

K12- Art 2

K12- Language Arts 3

Math- Teaching Textbooks 4 & 5. She's already half-way through Teaching Textbooks 4, so 5 is needed too.

Bible- right now, she will just do our family study time. Nothing formal.

Health- Abeka

Penmanship/Copywork (Abeka and Queen Homeschool)

1st grader:

Will do History, Science and Art with older sister.

Abeka Spelling 2, Language 2 (we have all of the readers), penmanship. We will purchase Teaching Texbooks 3 for him, although for now, he's enjoying TT4 with his older sister (some of it is just too much).

I also purchased some additional books from Abeka for both my 1st and 2nd grader... the read & think skill sheets and the speed reading/comprehension books. We also have ALEKS for math supplement for all 3.

My pre-school 3yo has some cheap workbooks from Costco. These are her "school books" and are mostly just for show. I am not doing anything formal with her... just normal read-alouds, etc.

My biggest chunk is for K12, but for the courses we are doing, the money is well spent (at least in my opinion).

I said over 1500. That was for last year. I used Calvert for one which was about a thousand, I used BJU Spanish for another which was 399, I used ALEKS which was almost 20 a month. THe Lightning LIt was about 150, the CC class was free but the book cost 90. THe homeschool co-op cost about 150. Soccer cost 34 plus equipment.

I can only see things beng more costly next year. DD will probably take a 3-5 credit cc class each semester (300-500 without books, each semester). I am not sure how much my co-op will cost. I have to buy 2 Chalkdust sets. I have to buy Rosetta Stone. I have to buy dissecting specimens. I have to buy whatever science equipment I need for younger dd. I may end up buying BJU Biology and Life Science but haven't decided yet.

This is an "off year" for us budget-wise... we are in the 1000-1500 range b/c we refurnished our Homeschool room (new kidney table and chairs, organizers, etc.). We have added 2 kids to the mix (now we have PK & 2nd joining our 4th grader) so we had all of the "start-up" costs for Rightstart and AAS. We plan to be more in the $300-400 range per child in the future.

This is all estimated.

for my 6th grader:

$0 re-using SL Core 4

$32 ordering IG upgrade

$12 bought the new World Wars book half-price

$14 Singapore 5B/6A workbooks (re-using textbooks)

$0 re-using Prentice Hall Science Explorer

$5 Daily Math Practice 6th grade

$0 re-using writing assignments from my old SL LA4

$12 Abecedarian level D

I think that's it for her. That's a total of $75.

for my 9th grader:

$15 American Vision textbook on amazon

$50 Oak Meadow history syllabus and teacher manual

$12 Holt Biology textbook on amazon

$65 lab kit

$55 Oak Meadow biology syllabus and teacher manual

$50 Oak Meadow health textbook, syllabus, and teacher manual 2nd-hand on OM-HS

$0 Tell Me More Spanish, free through library

$60 Jacobs Geometry text, teacher guide, and test masters 2nd-hand on WTM swap board

$0 re-use Oak Meadow Photography

$0 re-use Fix-it Grammar

$35 Excellence in Literature guide, have most of the books already, will get others from library

$25 student book US History-based writing lessons, re-using teacher book

I think that is all for her, $365.

for 11th grader:

$30 for used psychology textbook for dual credit class this summer

$? unknown amount for textbooks/supplies she'll need for Japanese and Drawing dual credit classes in the fall

$70 Kinetic Books Principles of Physics, cd-rom and textbook, re-usable

$50 Chalkdust Precalculus, piece together on amazon using ISBNs provided by Pongo

$140 most of history and lit for Core 300 - I already owned the others or I'm planning to get them from the library

$85 Core 300 IG

That's all I can think of for her, $375 + unknown amount for the textbooks for her dual credit classes in the fall and spring.

That's a total of $815. I'm sure there is more that I've forgotten, so I'll call it $900 even.

Edited to add:

Actually, my total is going to higher than that. I forgot about the graphing calculator I need to buy for my 11th grader. That will be around $100. I should probably allow for another $100 for the textbooks my 11th grader will need for her dual credit classes in the fall and spring. You can take up to two dual credit classes each semester at no charge once you've finished 10th grade here. You still have to pay for books and supplies though.

I'll estimate my new total at around $1000 to allow for the graphing calculator and the unknown textbooks.

Edited by AngieW in Texas
needed to add in another expense I forgot about

This will be our most expensive year: we're getting 2 microscopes [regular + Brock], Biology stuff for 4 kids grades K-10th [dissection/ slides/other labs], co-op classes, and a few other curriculum choices that i can likely find used.

I'm just counting the cost in this year and not amortizing it out: the next years will be cheaper! ;)

I had a discussion with another friend who said someone she knows spent $250 TOTAL on 6 kids for next year. Granted, some of her kids will use hand-me-downs, but she buys all her stuff used. This prompted the pollster in me. I was originally slated to spend $1200 on two kids. It dropped and dropped and I ended up spending $411.50! That doesn't include what I sold! I'm way excited about the deals I found.

How about everyone else? Finding great deals? Saying,"who cares?"

Blessings!

Dorinda

This is for one child. I voted $300-$599. However, the bulk of that will last 2 years and one thing is to last through middle school.

with Veritas Press today. Even with 10 percent off, and most of the big items already purchased (at a discount or used - Saxon 2, Shurley Grammar, Phonics Museum, random literature books I already had, Literature guides purchased here), my total still came out to be over 450. This does NOT include handwriting (or any writing really, other than phonics museum), history (I could wait until 2nd for this, but I LOVE history), foreign language or science (not sure if I want to do lyrical science or an experiment based science program). I think I need to sell my TOG year 1 and 2 to justify all these expenses... but I'm sure I'll use them again in a few years.

Guest aprongirl

I am hoping to spend $150 or less. I am buying materials for my 6 year old and 4 year old. I am having a yard sale this weekend, to raise money for curricula.