Menu

Do you MAKE your children read everyday?

Do you make them even if they say they don't want to? So far, I have been making my dd (almost 8) read even when she doesn't want to do it. I think part of her problem has been she wasn't enjoying what she was reading. She asked for books on animals and thanks to some great suggestions here, I have quite a few on the way. I think she'll resist less now that she has some books she has chosen rather than SL reader selections.

Now my question is how much to ask of her at her age? Do you set aside a time everyday for your dc to read? How much time for an almost 8yo would you require?? Do you allow them to do it at bedtime. When I do this, sometimes it doesn't get done (she sneaks out of bed and plays with ds) so I don't think this is a good idea for us. Although I encourage her to read at night to help her relax, I think I should ask her to read to herself during the day so I can make sure it gets done. Would love suggestions on the best way to handle a reluctant but very good reader. Although she can read on at least a 6th grade level, I don't ask her to do that. I get her books that are more age appropriate.

Since she has asked for certain books, I am hoping this will help. She has a habit of picking a book off the shelf and thumbing through it to see how long the chapters are. If they are long, she won't read it. The other thing I am having a problem with is she doesn't give the book a chance. She'll read the first chapter and say she doesn't like it. She did this with Socks. I all but forced her to read it. I basically said "tough, get reading." In the end, she came to me and said, "mama, this is the best book I think I have ever read!". I tried to explain to her that sometimes books don't get good until after you read 3-4 chapters. She just doesn't get it. I'm thinking I may need to require she read a certain number of chapters before she can declare she doesn't like it.

Thanks,

Sandy

I really think it will come along ... give it some time. My oldest has a book with him all the time and oh, my ... I could never get him to do anything and all of a sudden (I have to thank CS for that, though)...

Everything that I've read, including WTM suggests 20 - 40 minutes a day at this age.

I plan on allowing my son to do his free reading anytime of the day ... bedtime sounds good as well.

Does she like for you to read aloud to her? Just curious ... because my son never did like me to. And that was real difficult when I tried to homeschool him before putting him in school...anyway...

Oh, and I bought and plan to use this next year, MCP Reading Comprehension Plus .... it has very short stories in it and questions afterwards. It looks fun.

Edited by DJgang

I wouldn't make my children read, no. I would fear that doing so would lead them to resenting reading even more. Plus I'm not big into power struggles. (But I come at this from the perspective of child-led learning, so they are always welcome to say no to anything I present to them.)

What about giving her some options? Read this book or listen to an audio of that one, etc. Or if she likes to be read to, then perhaps you could read her the first couple chapters of a book and then let her take over once she's hooked.

Edited by MelanieM

I don't typically require reading during the day, unless it is something for Science or History. But my girls get in bed between 7 & 7:30. My 8 year old will then read for 30 minutes - 1 hour. She's been known to ask to stay up a little longer to finish a chapter or the book. She wasn't always like this though - just last year she would balk at a book if the print seemed too small or there weren't any pictures on the pages. She automatically assumed she wasn't able to read it unless it LOOKED easy.

I've been really bad about that, but just within the last couple of weeks I've been assigning reading.... and making sure that they do it.

My dd8 is reading Matilda right now. I *require* 1 chapter a day, she's been reading a lot more than that.

My ds7 is reading some Magic Tree House books, again I require 1 chapter per day.

Since she likes animals, maybe she could read some Aesop's Fables.

I require both my little kids to spend 1/2 an hour reading each day. Typically they do it while the other one works with me on math. For my seven year old, we are just starting to make the transition to chapter books that she will read over the course of the week. My six year old reads from his reading book (a vintage reader that was my dad's when he was in 1st grade) and also from Little Critter books. We are transitioning to Henry and Mudge now.

My kids love to read, so they also read for 30-60 minutes after they go to bed. In fact, I have to go in and turn off the light or my 7 year old will stay up until 11 reading.

This year, when my daughter will be in 2nd grade, assigned reading time will start to include assigned history reading, and novels will become more of a free reading time thing.

Tara

Sandy, is there the possibility you need to just loosen up on the reading?? I can't imagine telling a kid to just tough, read it, unless it was some kind of some important topical book for a subject they don't really like. When the book is supposed to be pleasurable, I sure wouldn't do that. Socks??? What kind of book is that? Most stuff meant for early readers is stupid. My dd skips 1st chapters and goes to the 3rd or 4th when the start of the book is slow and boring. Perhaps she hasn't thought to do that? You might give her permission. ;)

You might try the pile approach to reading. Have piles and piles of books around, time to read them, nothing else to do, and start some aloud yourself. And it's good to have variety. My dd has always loved comics, things like Calvin & Hobbes, Tintin (her new fav!), etc. Don't get too picky. I'm not saying to let them read JUNK, but there's LOTS of good stuff in a variety of genres and reading levels. When they get to reading one thing a lot, then they'll naturally move on to something else. Well that's not true. My dd will binge read comics forever, but it's the enthusiasm for reading that naturally carries over. The comics, I have to put away, lol.

Your dd might also enjoy The Littles, Magic Treehouse, COFA's, Little House, Narnia, and anything from the VP catalog. Don't get too hung up on grade level. Kids can go from a 2nd grade book to a high school book and back again. All they care about is whether they like it and whether the font is comfortably-sized to read. My dd adores Boxcar, still does, and I have no clue what level she reads. I know she read Swiss Family Robinson multiple times through last year for pleasure, and it's a much higher level book. They're both very similar though, with imaginative qualities. So just throw lots of stuff at her. We've always used the TQ lists to get more books for history, so I have lots of that floating around. Any time I find used sales I stock up. The pile method, just having lots and lots of books around. That's where it's at. And no, the only thing she can stay up reading is her Bible.

BTW, as I read some of the posts about assigning a reading time, it almost seems like it's creating a niche where they slow down and CAN read. I have had an only all these years, so it naturally happened. If they're constantly playing, then obviously creating some down time conducive to reading would help. I like my personal space after lunch for a while, so that's a good time. My dd went through a stage where she wanted to read in the morning before school. It's all good. But carving a time and forcing a dc to read an insipid book are two different things.

Audio books also wet the appetite.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Socks??? What kind of book is that? Most stuff meant for early readers is stupid.

No you di-n't! No you di-n't go dissin' on Socks! :o Take it back! Take it back right now!! ;)

Socks is a book by Beverly Cleary about a cat who is adopted by a young couple and how his life changes after the birth of their baby, Charles William. It is one of the best books ever written. :)

Tara

Yes, I do MAKE my kids read.

My ds 10 really needed me to make him read. He never read on his own until this last year. Nothing worked to get him to pick up a book and read (or anything else for that matter). We started a 30 min reading time after dinner. We all got our books (Mom included) and read. This was the only way I could be sure ds, then 8, would read. I had to sit next to him. At first he did not like this at all but after a couple of month it was him who reminded us of our reading time.

Also, he could pick out any chapter or story book he wanted. He started with Magic Tree House and Geronimo Stilton. However, he was not allowed to pick out picture books, comic books or magazine for this reading time. As soon as picture were involved he would not read. I did try other strategies to get him to read -- none of them worked.

I started to read something aloud to get him interested--he never finished the book. He'd rather wait for me to continue reading some other day.

We tried to see if he'd start reading video game or computer game instructions and such--He called for his younger brother to read it to him.

Required free reading was the only way to get him to read. I am extremely glad that we did this. It was the best thing for him (as well as requiring piano). Now he can read anything during reading time including comics, magazines etc.. Guess, what? Now he'd rather read Harry Potter.

Susie

Edited by Susie in CA

The pile method, just having lots and lots of books around.

We do this, to some extent. (Our house is so overcrowded with books they are threatening to shove us out.) We have a "book bag" for each kid where I put about 5-7 selections they can choose from for "assigned reading time," and then they have shelves of books in almost every other room of the house that they can read whenever.

Tara

Do you make them even if they say they don't want to? So far, I have been making my dd (almost 8) read even when she doesn't want to do it. I think part of her problem has been she wasn't enjoying what she was reading. She asked for books on animals and thanks to some great suggestions here, I have quite a few on the way. I think she'll resist less now that she has some books she has chosen rather than SL reader selections.

Now my question is how much to ask of her at her age? Do you set aside a time everyday for your dc to read? How much time for an almost 8yo would you require?? Do you allow them to do it at bedtime. When I do this, sometimes it doesn't get done (she sneaks out of bed and plays with ds) so I don't think this is a good idea for us. Although I encourage her to read at night to help her relax, I think I should ask her to read to herself during the day so I can make sure it gets done. Would love suggestions on the best way to handle a reluctant but very good reader. Although she can read on at least a 6th grade level, I don't ask her to do that. I get her books that are more age appropriate.

Since she has asked for certain books, I am hoping this will help. She has a habit of picking a book off the shelf and thumbing through it to see how long the chapters are. If they are long, she won't read it. The other thing I am having a problem with is she doesn't give the book a chance. She'll read the first chapter and say she doesn't like it. She did this with Socks. I all but forced her to read it. I basically said "tough, get reading." In the end, she came to me and said, "mama, this is the best book I think I have ever read!". I tried to explain to her that sometimes books don't get good until after you read 3-4 chapters. She just doesn't get it. I'm thinking I may need to require she read a certain number of chapters before she can declare she doesn't like it.

Thanks,

Sandy

I haven't read the other responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's advice.

A few suggestions:

Yes, she needs to read every day. Assign a chapter per day to be completed during school time. She needs to narrate back to you "what happened" in the chapter daily.

Let her pick her own reading selections. Take her to the library to check out some books that appeal to her. If nothing appeals to her, or she chooses than abandons several books, assign some to her.

Don't demand that she read at night, just expect that she stay in her own bed, make books available to her, and allow her to keep the lights on as long as she's "quiet". Let her do what she wants with this time. If she draws or plays quietly with small toys, that's okay too.

Read aloud to her or let her listen to audio books.

ETA: I just want to comment on the idea that if you force them to read they'll resist, create a power stuggle, and eventually hate reading. I haven't found this to be true at all. My oldest is a remediated dyslexic and now an enthusiastic reader. This happened because I demanded and expected something from him. I also demand that he brush his teeth, shower, wear clean clothing, speak respectfully and use appropriate manners. There are somethings that are just required in our family and reading is one of them. Of course, keeping reading assignments realistic, not overwhelming his ability, not trying to force him to love it, and being interested and enthusiastic about his efforts also help foster his love for reading. There are fine lines between expecting what's realistic for a child, pushing too much, and expecting nothing. You can find what's right for your kiddo and your family.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

I've never required my little ones to read every day.

When I know they're reading easily, I start requiring them to read daily. But my boys are not early readers, and sometimes they don't reach the ability to do daily reading until 4th grade.

Older struggling readers, I may require they read *to me* a little each day.

But at 8? I don't think I've required daily reading of any of my 8 year olds so far. I may do so with my little one, but right now, at age 7, he already reads easily and enjoys it.

Thanks,

Sandy

Reading aloud to me is part of our scheduled school day. When they finish with their reading/phonic lesson they read out of a couple of books that I have scheduled. I try to make one of them out of something that they really like and the other is poetry or classic short stories. Since I have started this they both seem to enjoy it.

My dd (5) reads assigned books for history or science 4 days per week, for about 15 - 20 minutes each day. She reads for pleasure (mostly at bedtime) for an hour or two each day. She loves reading, so it isn't much of an issue..... I am sure I would handle things differently if she struggled with reading. I was not assigning much reading until a couple of months ago, and she was resistant at first.

Do you make them even if they say they don't want to?

My son has never liked to read because he's a people person & can't imagine having fun with your nose looking at a piece of paper. Here are some things I've done while requiring him to read a chapter a day over the last 5 years:

- I usually sit right nearby so he can share as he goes along. I am doing my own reading or writing, but he can share a funny part or ask about a confusing part. This sharing makes a huge difference to him.

- Choose books carefully, as you have been doing. Ds just read funny books for a while, so I chose Amelia Bedelia to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, but not Spongebob (which won't teach a love of reading). Reading about Lincoln this year (7th grade) included an easy reader, a book with lots of photos, a Lincoln joke book, as well as regular 7th grade fare. Sometimes the same book will have several versions, and one has more friendly-looking large print or lots of illustrations.

- Allow him to read outdoors or on the floor wrapped in a blanket with the cat inside.

- An answer to prayer was a book club just for kids of his gender and general age group (so the books & the discussions were at the right level). This boosted his enjoyment of a higher reading level a bit.

- Choose his reading time according to when the house is quiet. I've found he's too interested in other things besides reading if he can hear them. No playing background music, because he likes that better than reading :)

- Don't over-analyze books. Casual conversation is okay & can help sometimes, but accept that kids won't get an adult-level of information or understanding. We've just started to analyze in 7th.

- Read the first chapter aloud, with plenty of expression. Often the first chapter is just setting. Or in younger books, the first chapter might jump right into a style or mood that is new to the child. So reading the first chapter can get them "into" it.

I know we have different genders & ages, but maybe something will click?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Sandy, is there the possibility you need to just loosen up on the reading?? I can't imagine telling a kid to just tough, read it, unless it was some kind of some important topical book for a subject they don't really like. When the book is supposed to be pleasurable, I sure wouldn't do that. Socks??? What kind of book is that? Most stuff meant for early readers is stupid. My dd skips 1st chapters and goes to the 3rd or 4th when the start of the book is slow and boring. Perhaps she hasn't thought to do that? You might give her permission. ;)

quote]

I think the problem is i have been to loose with the reading. I don't usually force it. If we never get around to it, so be it, has been the way I roll lately. That's why I was asking. I feel like at some point, she needs to read for say, 20-30 minutes per day as part of her school day. When I told her tough, get reading, it was not as rude as it sounds. I was half joking when I said it. I just simply get tired of her starting a book and not finishing it because she can't get past the 1st couple of boring chapters in a book to enjoy it. As I said in my post, she later told me it was the best book she ever read. She needed to know that it would indeed get better if she kept going.

Sandy

I have made my girls read. I put it in the school day and they have to do it. They really like this time. It's a relaxation time for them. Both of my girls have learned to love reading. It wasn't always easy to make them slow down and read, but now they're almost always into a book and I have to make them go and play. LOL

I require my kids to do anything that I think is valuable. If they don't do it on their own then I help them come up with a time to do it. Now I just monitor their reading.

HTH

I do make my son read Mon-Fri. He's a delayed reader so we didn't start until late 3rd grade almost 4th. We start our school day with read-aloud time, then a short break and he has to read. At first I would sit down and read quietly one of my books, setting a good example, etc.

As far as book choice we rotate, I pick one, then he has to pick one. We have so many choices at home we rarely rely on the library. So really even his choices are my choices too.

Last year it was 30 minutes per day.Next year we will up that time, but we will still do in the morning.

Sandy-yes, by some fashion, manner, or method of coersion, she definitely should be reading every day! But in addition to your required time, I'd also try some methods to lure her in and get her reading more willingly on her own. Try some Sonlight books (pick one, any one) and just start reading it. Then get called away and leave them hanging... Or have piles of books around. Or have school at the library every Friday and take no toys. Books are the logical thing to do on breaks. ;) Or join your library's summer reading contest. Take all the toys out of their bedrooms and replace them with books. Take all the toys from the other rooms and put them up high, putting the books down low. I have toys in my house; you just can't reach them. lol

When my dd was young, I made her this wonderful reading nest. It was like an over-sized dog bed, so that was probably work just as well. She spent HOURS on that thing reading. She has a magazine rack in the bathroom, and a loft for reading in the playhouse. Sometimes you have to create the atmosphere, kwim? And when I said loosen up, I didn't mean not requiring reading. I meant in WHAT they're reading. My dd's first love was Calvin & Hobbes. Comics are FINE if it gets them reading! I wouldn't go to actual trash, but sometimes you have to get out of the box and really appeal to them, kwim? Anything visual motivates my dd. She loves Nature Friend, Tintin, Calvin & Hobbes, etc. Some kids respond well to Usborne books. It's good to try a variety of things and see if anything tickles her fancy. Let her talk with the children's librarian about books she might like...

Sometimes when my dd was that age she would read and reread books she had already listened to a zillion times on audio cd. Don't underestimate the value of books on cd. If your dc is not reading a lot, that input through the audio books is INVALUABLE! WTM specifically recommends audio books in the K5 section, go see! I can't think of a single thing more valuable during those early years than reading aloud. And since I always fall asleep while reading to her, I just get them on cd. Try it! It will build their vocabulary and help them recognize words they are trying to decode, thus bumping up their reading level without any effort!

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes, we require our just-turned 9 year old to read for 45 minutes straight during the school week during the day. Our just turned 7 year old is required to read for 30 minutes. They read in the afternoon on the couch in the living room. For most of the school year I picked the books, but now that we're approaching the end of the year I let them pick, but still retain veto power. ;-)

Both boys have really developed a love for reading -- for example, my 7 yo picked up the copy of Prince Caspian that my 9 yo had checked out from the library and spent every spare moment over a two day period devouring it! He did the same recently with the Little House books!

I guess my experience would say -- read everyday -- BUT lighten up on what you make them read. The last part has taken me ages. I have one reader ahead of grade level and one behind. I used to really gnash my teeth that my older son (the ahead one) wasn't reading really challenging books all the time. But the more I relaxed about what he was reading, the more he read, and the better he got. I can't see why he likes all his graphic novels, but he loves them and that's what counts.

My younger son is behind -- and is my power struggle guy -- but I still make him read something every day. He gets to choose most of the time and he chooses low, but he feels successful. He's improved tons since we started reading every day.

Both kids get read to as well and we do books on tape at night. FWIW, neither kid seems able to read challenging stuff at night -- seems to take more brain power and they say it is harder to read the small print.

I have incorporated reading into our school schedule so yes I do make them read (they know its part of their assignment). I make my two oldest (12 and 10) read about an hour every school day and my youngest (8) read about 30 mins every school day. I could take that away now because my older two will read on their own especially if they have found a series they like and it is something I am still debataing :glare: So far though, I think I am going to keep it the way we have been doing it since its working (I tend to believe in the if its not broken, don't fix it philosphy.

-Tia

Thanks,

Sandy

Yes, but I don't have to, so maybe that's why I do require it. Does that make any sense at all? I do make Becca go have quiet reading time, mainly to get myself a little quiet time. :001_huh: That makes it easier to tell Sylvia it's "book time." But both of them read a lot on their own - they're always pulling books off the shelves and reading. They've never been "reluctant readers."

I do require that ds (5) read for 5 minutes a day. When he first started reading it was hard, but now he reads so well, and he enjoys it so much! I don't have to tell him to read, he's eager to and he grabs books from the shelf. I think reading is a habit, and by requiring him to read for just five minutes a day, I've helped to develop a habit in this child. He now just picks up books and a few times I've caught him reading for an hour! Remember I just require five minutes. I believe in developing habits slowly, building up incrementally.

Good luck :) You may want to start slow, with living books, and have your child read aloud for five minutes (or a page) to you. If it's a good book, she'll continue reading.

Thanks ladies! I am going to have assigned reading everyday. We'll start with 15 minutes and work our way up from there. I'm also going to let her choose her books for now. I think one problem is she just doesn't care for the SL readers I have been asking her to read. We do have gobs of books in our home. She has 2 bookcases in her room alone.

Thanks a bunch,

Sandy

My two older girls wouldn't manage to go a whole day without reading. Like me, they will read anything they can get their hands on if books aren't available.

My youngest is another story. She's dyslexic, so reading is hard work for her.

During the summer, I require all of my kids to read for at least one hour each day. Thirty minutes of that hour must be something that she has never read or listened to before. The other thirty minutes are completely free choice, except that graphic novels and comic books don't count.

During the schoolyear, my kids have about one hour of assigned reading daily.

I required DD to read to me for 20-30 minutes per day, at a 'stretch' level, and to read to herself from books that were slightly below her reading level for 20-30 minutes per day, and to then read me a page of my choosing from her free reading.

I also let her read in bed as late as she wanted to. She had to go to bed by a certain time, but then she didn't have to turn off the light until she was ready. For her, this got her to read a lot on her own. She tended to choose hard books that I had already read to her and that she enjoyed.

I also read to her in several categories each night and often during the day.

I've never really had to. They all enjoy reading and read pretty much every night in bed, but their tastes are pretty eclectic so they can almost always find something they enjoy.

edited to add: They do have assigned reading during our school year, and they read those during the school day.

Edited by akmommy

I've been begging my daughter to read! And I read a book with some great tips.

1)Leave magazines they're interested in and comic books where they like to relax. They'll start flipping though it.

2) They will move to "sub-literature" "Baby Sitter's Club...what have you. They will begin to read it on their own.

3) Next step is they will want more and more of whatever series...let them read it! Of course censor your child's books but you know what I mean.

4) The books will start to get too easy for him/her they're going to want more, get a slightly harder level.

Many libraries have a site that you can click on "...if you like this author, try this one...

Trust me. I read this book TODAY! I immediately incorporated #1. For the last 2 hours, my dd has been reading Calvin and Hobbs.:seeya:

Whatever book you read, those points are pretty much what I was going to say. That's the tactic that worked with my kids. They were both very reluctant readers. When they started reading, I cringed at their taste. Now they're both hooked on "the good stuff".

One more tip: Make your public library work for you. Find the titles you want in their electronic "card file", then put them on hold. It can take them a very long time to pull the books out of storage or wherever they've got them ratholed, but they get to it eventually. If you take a long view, and order the books months before you actually need them, it can save you big money.

My kids probably read around 2+ hours a day! They both read for about 30-45 minutes while I work with the other child on thier school work. Then we read aloud together at night for about 30 minutes, sometimes more depending on the book. DS gets to stay up an hour later than DD only if he's reading a book. He loves this "freedom". And DD is quite the bookworm! Her favorite pastime is reading- she'll read any chance she gets!

Dh and I also make sure to model reading to them. We both enjoy reading alot. Some of our favorite family activities are going to the library or Half-Price Books!

Forgot to mention that there is a website online where the kids can take quizes on the books that they read and then once they obtain a certain amount of "points" they can redeem whatever prices this site has on file or you can create your own prizes. In the past I have created prizes like stay up an hour later, go see a movie, game board night, etc etc. The sites name is book adventure. org (without the spaces). I hope I can post websites on here and if I can't, I'm sorry :confused:

-Tia

Thanks ladies! I am going to have assigned reading everyday. We'll start with 15 minutes and work our way up from there. I'm also going to let her choose her books for now. I think one problem is she just doesn't care for the SL readers I have been asking her to read. We do have gobs of books in our home. She has 2 bookcases in her room alone.

Thanks a bunch,

Sandy

Starting from when my oldest was a toddler, we have allowed reading at bedtime that is totally their choice, never assigned. I may suggest something they will like but not assign it. That is their free reading. I also start assigning books when they are comfortable reading Magic School Bus and other longer picture books. Usually around 2nd grade for my kids. This is to be done as part of school. My dd usually choses to read the next day's assigned chapter during her free reading time unless she has something she is really interested in and I am ok with that since she is the one least likely to read unless assigned because she doesn't like being still. Ds8 will read the same book 3-4 times for free reading before moving on and this is ok too. He's obviously getting something out of it. Ds13 is more a case of put the book down and and do something physical, he's always reading (like his mom :) ).

It is such a difficult question to answer. They read their history books and science books and then narrate back to me. They read their regular literature books. If that is making them read, then, "yes." The question is hard for me only because in my mind they read the Bible, history, science, and literature all on their own. That is reading to me. They do that every day. I don't make them read. They just do it automatically.

Does that make sense?

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschooler.com/testimony

I do require my ds8 to read daily, at least 15 minutes, in the book(s) of his choice. After a few months of him not being into it, he's really enjoying it now, and almost always goes past the minimum time. He reads for school time too, but no specific time as it varies from day to day.

Hang in there!

My dc read out loud to me untill age 7 or so and then they have assigned reading. We work up from there to reading all history, science and literature. My 9ds and 7ds read for fun books before bedtime.

HTH!

Kristen

I still make my kids read books I want them to read but they don't mind much anymore, and usually enjoy it. But when my son was that age, he resisted reading and I made him read every day- and I kept reading to him a lot. At that age, he couldn't read well and it was maybe 15 painful minutes a day. I crept it up from 10 minutes, to 15, to 20, until suddenly at age 9 he grabbed Sea of Trolls, a huge book, out of my hands as I was just finishing reading the first chapters to him, and asked me if he could read it himself now. He has never looked back from that moment and for a long while the book HAD to be thick before he would read it!