Menu

Just curious...

I say "yes, I am" and leave it at that. Most of the time, they drop it. I've only been challenged on it once...by a librarian, at that! We kept repeating ourselves (eventually, angrily) until she charged that I was not a CERTIFIED teacher and therefore not a teacher.

Her supervisor got a call. :glare: Bet she never tried that one again!

Because I'm not a licensed teacher. All people are teachers on some level, and all parents certainly are. But I assume that's not what people mean.

How do you respond to someone when, after finding out you homeschool, they ask "are/were you a teacher?"

"Yep, and the whole world is my classroom!" Or something like that.

What I don't know how to respond to is something along the lines of,

"I could never homeschool. My kid and I are like oil and water."

I usually say something about how homeschooling has made me a better parent and I'm always learning about my

own weaknesses, but I'm never really sure if that's a good response.

I mean, what do they expect? "Yeah, I know--your kid's a real pain in the @ss and I'd hate to homeschool too, if I were you!"...

I say yes, but the education classes I took did NOTHING to prepare me for homeschooling, where I actually teach instead of herding large groups of students. I have no need for classroom management skills in my family room.

If time permits I then point out that my certification classes included how to teach children to read using a book written by a man who admitted that he did not enjoy teaching children and that was why he taught and wrote college level material. I also took difficult classes like how to arrange your classroom and use media equipment.

But I sweated it out and got my teaching credential.

I say, "I'm their teacher" (glance lovingly at dc).

I met an elderly man last month who upon finding out that we homeschool and I'm not a certified teacher, said to me, "what makes you think you can teach them?"

I smiled and said, "well, so far it's going great. I only have to stay one day ahead of them academically! We're learning a lot together!"

He didn't say much after that. I like giving that response, because who is going to chastise a person for continuing his/her education???!! Well, there may be some out there.

When I knew absolutely ZERO about homeschooling, I always asked this question at first because I thought you couldn't homeschool unless you were a teacher. I thought that perhaps legally you had to be. I also did not know that there were curriculum choices out there for those without formal teacher training. Most people gave short answers that let me know not to ask more, but eventually someone explained that you do not have to be a certified teacher and that anyone could do it if they were dedicated. That is when I decided that maybe I could do this, too.

Two families that have asked me this question went on to homeschool themselves. So I have learned to really answer this question, particularly if it comes from another mother.

My 15yo son is severely disabled and medically fragile. He has an assortment of equipment and needs lots of care. An RN came by yesterday to take blood from my son's central line and get it to the lab. The LPN who has been watching my son (she takes care of him for several hours a week but can't draw from his line).

Yesterday, the LPN asked me if I was a licensed teacher. I said with a smile - "I'm not a licensed LPN either, but I do everything you do!!"

Edited by LNC

I simply say "yes" and leave it at that. I graduated from HS so in theory that should qualify me to teach to HS level right? :) I have a college degree too so IMO I'm definately qualified if they are questioning my ability. I've only had a few people question my ability and one was at a teacher appreciation day at Staples. The teacher was all friendly until she asked what school I was at and when I told her I homeschooled she acted like she had been caught talking to a bad guy. Then she flustered as said, "oh, so you aren't really a teacher then." I simply told her that was incorrect and that I was a teacher and more than that, I had to be knowledgeble in ALL subject areas. I told her that I was the equivalent of a super-teacher. OK...I know that was a tad snarky but she asked for it. She moved away from me and headed to the free bagles and coffee after that.

I usually say something about how homeschooling has made me a better parent and I'm always learning about my

I mean, what do they expect? "Yeah, I know--your kid's a real pain in the @ss and I'd hate to homeschool too, if I were you!"...

ROTFLOL!!!

I rarely get asked the hot button questions, lol, and I'm more of a bring it on kinda gal.

But yeah, my response has been giving them a weird look like they just asked if I was a Martian and saying, "you mean did i spend years of my life in a classroom setting learning how to manage 30 other kids in a classroom setting so i can get a piece of paper to hang on my wall? uh, no --why would I??"

and then we discuss education vs schooling, educational resources, etc. I have only had one person actually arue w/ me, an she shut up after I sent her the Stanford link...:lol:

It depends on why I think I'm being asked. If they really want info and are polite I'll tell them I'm (was) certified, but that you do not need to be to be a great teacher.

If they're being donkeys get in their face, crack your knuckles and say "Who wants to know??" BEG

I say, "I am NOW!" and laugh. I'm pretty easy going unless challenged. I've had a few press it, and ask how I could possibly teach algebra, or chemistry. I asked if they took it in high school. They answered yes, and hastened to add there's no way they would teach it, they don't remember any of it. I smiled, nodded and said, "Well, I certainly can't do WORSE than the highschool then, can I?" and walked away. I've also found that those who know I used to be in health care don't question my ability to homeschool....apparently, being in health care puts you on some sort of magic pedestal of learning. :lol:

That being said, being disabled automatically brings questions out of the woodwork now like never before :glare:

I've never been asked that but I have been asked about homeschooling by a teacher who wanted to homeschool. I told her that her teaching experience would actually be a hindrance to homeschooling. I explained that she'd have to give up much of what she's learned to homeschool well and went on to give examples.

I say no, I was a professional photographer. I'll also tell the about the wonderful curriculum choices available and the wonderful freedom we have in Texas to learn as we choose, when we choose. Then I'll point out that NO ONE cares more about my son's education than the parents. NO ONE.

That seems to satisfy most folks.

I met an elderly man last month who upon finding out that we homeschool and I'm not a certified teacher, said to me, "what makes you think you can teach them?"

I suppose I would ask "What makes you think I can't?"

The oil and water thing. When people have told me, "Oh, I could never homeschool my kids" or some such nonsense, I've usually said, "Well, it's not really about me. It's about them and what's best for them." And, as for being a teacher, perhpaps we could all learn to ask, "I'm curious why you asked that question" said in the nicest of voices, and then respond appropriately after you've discovered their motivation for asking.

"Yep, and the whole world is my classroom!" Or something like that.

What I don't know how to respond to is something along the lines of,

Any parent who feels that way probably shouldn't homeschool anyway....it isn't likely to be a positive for them or the kids, so I never feel the need to try to change their mind.

"Yeah, it doesn't work for every family, I'm grateful that it's worked so well for ours." THat's what I usually respond....what I really want to say is more along the lines of "yeah, what do you expect when you don't parent them...you delegate that responsibility 99% of the time to a classroom full of other kids instead, or the summer camp kids, or the neighborhood kids...."

:lol:

To the OP... The first time I was asked this, I was not sure how to take it. I ended up asking, 'how do you mean?' After that, there was a lot of back and forth over the definition of 'teacher.' My thought was (and is), I teach my dcs, so, yes, I am a teacher. I even have a nifty sheet of paper from the school board, giving me permission to teach them, and a card (doesn't that make it official?) from HEAV so I can get a teacher discount.

I am a certified teacher but I tell people that in my situation I feel that my degree is something I constantly work at overcoming to be a great educator for my dc! I am homeschooling b/c my ds8 doesn't fit " in the box" and frankly for most that's one of the major pluses of homeschooling. I spent 18 years as a student in ps. Then 4 years at a public university and an additional 7 years as a teacher in ps. I am so entrenched " in the system" that it is very hard for me to think outside the box. :)