Menu

What's the ugliest outfit you ever wore for the sake of fashion?

After reading that fun "turned up collars coming back" thread, I want to know the worst thing you have worn for the sake of fashion.

I think my khaki jumpsuit in 1987 with the elastic waist and cross-body zip and funky flip-down or up collar wins it for me...especially when accessorized with off-white slouchy topped ankle boots, bi-level permed hair and big honkin' plastic earrings.

A long paisley (yellow/red/cobalt) shirt with a Shaker V-neck vest (red), cobalt blue stirrup pants (yellow socks OVER the stirrups) and Keds. Permed hair (short on sides/feathered with longer back) plastic assymetrical earrings with beads of same plastic. Rubber bracelets.

There was also the pinstripe baggy jeans with red converse hi-tops and a inside out off the shoulder sweatshirt worn with faux pearls (several strands) on neck and wrists. An assymetrical hair cut (short on left, long on right). Scarf (red and white large check) with fringe optional. Attitude required.

Oddly I was just at the mall and stunned to see aforementioned double polos with turned up collars, bright (and neon) color combos, plastic jewelry, pegged pants, skinny jeans, rubber bracelets, skinny ties and those wrap around twice cotton fringed scarves. I was in shock. I also bought myself some rubber bracelets. My 11 year old said "Mom. No. That is just so...ewww." I know, I know, but it brought me back for a moment and the pressure was too strong.

Next I'll be listening to The Cure and Duran Duran.:tongue_smilie:

Toss up between the Denim Guacho Jumpsuit my mother made me wear when I was a kid or the celery green corduroy knickers, matching ruffle blouse, and gold ballet flats that I wore to my friends sweet sixteen.

Swaying off-topic, the most hideous garment I ever wore was worn from duty, for the sake of someone else's "sense of fashion". I was a bridesmaid for a friend, and had to wear a ghastly floor-length gown of heavy, shiny, screaming deep pink rose-hued fabric. The gown was designed to be worn off-shoulder, but I rebelled and had it altered. (Friend gave her OK to that.)

Not only was the dress horrid, but my friend got married on my one-year anniversary ! I could not celebrate with my husband as would be expected. (I'll be fair, though. I was greatly attached to my friend, and was happy to be included on her special day.)

The romper fad was probably the worst. I only wore mine to church...but it was truly hideous. Don't remember exactly when that was...early 90's sometime.

I stopped short of letting my sister style my hair with a big bow barette. I used to call her a "bowhead." :tongue_smilie:

In 1967, when I was nine years old, I somehow talked my father into buying me what was perhaps the only "outfit" I've ever owned.

It was a pair of blue and white striped bell-bottoms, a saturated hot raspberry-pink shirt (with French cuffs) worn with a lime-green apache-scarf. :blink:

Oh yeah. Very, very groovy

Bill

We would have gone together well... I had a lime green paisley formfitted sleeveless jumpsuit which was cut down to "there" in the front. The jumpsuit was worn with a white "poets" shirt with lots of ruffles down the front to "fill" in what was missing from my nine year old chest. The jumpsuit had outrageous bell bottoms and I wore the outfit with my white patent leather gogo boots.

In my senior pictures I wore a bright purple sweater vest, a bright pink button down shirt and a white skinny neck tie. What is worse was my rather large hair. When I got my first drivers license the lady kept telling me to move a little this way then back the other way. Turns out she was trying to fit my hair in the picture. It didn't fit, she wound up cutting one side off in the picture. I used to go through 1-2 cans of Aqua Net every week on my spiral permed hair. Ahhh the good old days.

Sheri

We would have gone together well... I had a lime green paisley formfitted sleeveless jumpsuit which was cut down to "there" in the front. The jumpsuit was worn with a white "poets" shirt with lots of ruffles down the front to "fill" in what was missing from my nine year old chest. The jumpsuit had outrageous bell bottoms and I wore the outfit with my white patent leather gogo boots.

Oh wow! Would we have made a pair? :lol:

Bill

I remember owning a pair of "disco" turquoise satin pants. Later, I remember wearing purple knickers with one of those white puffy prairie shirts. It had a skinny black tie on the front of the shirt. Also, there were neon sweatshirts-with matching socks-ugh. I also owned some those lovely parachute pants-but it was sort of a dress or something. It was hideous. I've never been so grateful that my mom took so few pics of me:D

Clear plastic pants with leopard leggings underneath (circa 1979). The crotch condensation was not pretty...the pants were not ventilated. I thought I was fashionable beyond all.

My mom said that I looked like a street walker...I at the time thought she was just fashion clueless I had no idea what she was talking about ...In hind sight I did look like a hooker...Yikes!

Oh, that's easy. Parachute pants. Stupidest clothing item I ever owned. Useless pockets and zippers. Material that doesn't breathe. And...they were the most heinous shade of purple. I was 10, so I think my parents deserve part of the blame.

:lol: Me too!! *cue MC Hammer* Can't touch this, ta na na na ta na ta na Can't touch this! I thought I was sooo cool with my Wild Pair black shiny shoes with the metal tips. :tongue_smilie:

That might have been today -- I've started going to church in a skirt without hose. I really think that's an ugly trend. At least on me. I don't do it just to keep up with fashion. I do it because, well, basically I'm a lazy slob, and if it's in style to go to church in flip flops, well, it appeals to my lazy slob side. But I, for one (and maybe I'm the only one), will be glad when hose come back into fashion.

:lol: Me too!! *cue MC Hammer* Can't touch this, ta na na na ta na ta na Can't touch this! I thought I was sooo cool with my Wild Pair black shiny shoes with the metal tips. :tongue_smilie:

Yes. I saw him in concert. Vanilla Ice was supposed to open for him, but had to cancel. I was bummed.

wearing white or bone colored hanes sheer energy with everything. What a scarey sight those pictures are but I sure thought I was fashion forward..... I even had white hose there striped and one that were polka dotted.

early 80s : we wore leg warmers over our jeans. I wish I knew why we did that.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Seriously, isn't there a board rule that all threads like this require photos?

Oh, and black pleather pants with a pink bandana around my thigh, and white suede slouchy boots. Apparently, I was a 13-year-old greaser.

The romper fad was probably the worst. I only wore mine to church...but it was truly hideous. Don't remember exactly when that was...early 90's sometime.

I stopped short of letting my sister style my hair with a big bow barette. I used to call her a "bowhead." :tongue_smilie:

Oh you mean the clown suit things from 1990's....yeah, thankfully I was to tall for those to look right on me....phew......Now I definately was a bowhead though. EEKS..... I did have the door knocker lion head earrings, just had to have them.:D

There was a point where men's boxers over a pair of thermal underwear was considered cool. LMAO Yep..I wore it. :tongue_smilie: On the upside, it was comfortable.

Wow- I'd forgotten that! Everybody on my high school track team wore them like that. When I went to college 500 miles away and wore the same outfit to an 8:00 PE class, people looked at me like I'd lost my mind!

I had some purple genie pants (guess the MC Hammer influence) in the late 80s.... oh and matching purple shoes.

Really hilarious. But, they were rather comfy!

That was going to be my "worst outfit" before I remembered the long johns/boxers thing! (Only my purple pants were in 1981.)

Edited by kah

Plaid pants before I was old enough to dress myself, but all my friends are wearing them in the pictures, too!

When I was old enough to dress myself, I had a purple polyester outfit that I loved, purple pants with a striped purple top. At least it wasn't bell bottoms, though.

I was once made fun of for wearing tough skins in 2nd or 3rd grade, but I looked at the other child like they were crazy--90% of my class wore them, they were cheap and durable, and that was what our parents bought us where I went to school.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about "for the sake of fashion", but I had a shirt with a picture of a neon coloured clock on it and the words "So many boys, so little time!" scrawled across the front.... I was ten and it was a parent-bought item of clothing. Like I needed any more help being picked on at school! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, has anyone mentioned jelly shoes? Those have a place of honour in the "I can't believe I wore that" hall of fame, don't they? (scary thing is - dd12 has a pair of them ~ they're baaaaaaack!)

After reading that fun "turned up collars coming back" thread, I want to know the worst thing you have worn for the sake of fashion.

I think my khaki jumpsuit in 1987 with the elastic waist and cross-body zip and funky flip-down or up collar wins it for me...especially when accessorized with off-white slouchy topped ankle boots, bi-level permed hair and big honkin' plastic earrings.

I think Tom Cruise looked pretty good peeping over that turned up collar style... haha.... gives way my age.

I have one... I had violet/purple MC Hammer style (genie) pants and purple coordinated shoes... I was COOL!:lol: They were comfie though!;) Hammer time!

Well, this wasn't *ugly* per se, but it jumped to mind as the dumbest, tackiest outfit I have ever bought and it cost a small fortune at the time. I was around 20 years old and I paid $100.00 for a white jacket and shorts outfit. The jacket had no back, just long western-type fringe coming down from the collar, and then the shorts had matching fringe. :svengo: Sooooo tacky! What was I thinking?! I think I only wore it twice, because it caused a big bra debacle and I think I wore those stick-on BooK-covers! :smilielol5: