Menu

How far do you live from where you grew up?

I grew up in in a town just north of Baltimore City and now I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I am about 150 miles away. I like the lifestyle of the Eastern Shore much better than the city. Also because we are close to the ocean (about a mile away) our summers are cooler and our winter are warmer than they were in Baltimore County. Basically I love living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and am so glad my dh and I decided to move here 19 years ago. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years so that was very far from were I grew up.

Karen

About 550 miles. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida and I now live in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina. We have lived here 7 years now. All of our family are still in Florida.

There are pros and cons to being far from family.:001_smile:

We love it in the mountains. It is beautiful, we have all four seasons, and it is home to us now.

I live about 900 miles from home. I grew up in SE Wisconsin, and am now in SE Virginia. I'm not here by choice though, although I kind of am. LOL, I chose my husband thus have to live here because this is where the Navy has him stationed. How's that for a weird answer. He's got about 6 years left and then we'll either move to KS, NE, or SW Wisconsin.

We live 58 miles from my hometown and 92 miles from dh's hometown, but we crossed the boarder into a different state.

I like being close to my "roots", and we'll probably wind up moving even closer one of these days, but part of me would love to try a new adventure!

I was born and raised in California--Southern to Northern (we moved a lot). My dh was born in Maryland, where his parents still live (sad to say, I'd LOVE to live closer to them!). Now we live in Washington State. The beginning of November will mark the 20th Anniversary of dh and I driving from CA to Washington to live! I love it here!

Um, we're living in the same house I grew up in. My dad was spending more and more time at his girlfriend's house, so when we returned to the area, he suggested we stay here instead of renting. He couldn't bring himself to sell it, as he and my mom had lived here for over 30 years before her death, but he didn't like it standing empty so much of the time. It's been an interesting experience. We live about 10 miles from where my dh grew up.

I live in the same town (after living in a couple other states after college) & I'm only 5 minutes away from my childhood home. The kids and I drive by once in a while and then I always end up crying when I see how the people have let the yard & house go. :crying: Don't tell me to stop doing it because not only am I nostalgic, I'm also a glutton for punishment. lol

I am an Air Force Brat, married to an Air Force guy. I was born in Los Angeles, Ca, but have not lived there since I was 9 mos. old. The longest we were ever stationed anywhere was Germany for 9 years, but we lived in different parts of Germany during that time. Dh and I have been married for almost 20 years and the longest we have lived anywhere was 4 years in Panama City, FL.

Dh grew up in Belton, MO, his parents still live there though they have moved 2 times since he joined the A.F. I don't think we will ever return to that area. We love Alaska and plan to retire there.

According to Mapblast . . . . 1,024 miles

born in MA

college in PA

met Hoosier husband in Central America

worked in Chiapas, Mexico together

off to Grand Rapids MI and

now we're 3 miles from where DH was born--

taking care of MIL with Alzheimer's and 91 y.o. FIL--

content wherever I live

just passing through

Edited by dmmosher

We live 1/4 mile from where I grew up. But, to my credit, I went away to college, I taught school for 2 years in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I did live in the SF Bay area for a while before I moved back. So, it's not as bad as you might think. I do like my hometown. Now that I'm all grown up.

About 20 miles. I was raised in a suburb about 20 miles west of Chicago. I now live about 15 miles southwest of there. I have lived my whole life in Illinois with no desire to change that. I went to school at University of Illinois in Urbana (almost 3 hours downstate) so that is the furthest I have lived from home. Since graduation, I have lived in various suburbs around Chicago, but settled out here when dh and I got married because it is a nice town for raising a family and it is on a train line for commuting into the city. I like the change in seasons and I feel very tied to this place. I don't like change (and hate it when people move away.)

We moved around quite a bit when I was growing up, but we settled in a small town in Texas.

When dh and I married, he was in the Navy so we moved around the world and settled in NY.

Last summer, though, we moved back to the family compound so our dc could grow up around their g-parents, and so I can help my parents as they age.

So...I live in the farm house I lived in when I was in high school.:001_smile:

Interesting topic. I live at the same latitude as where I grew up but 600 miles away (MI now, NY then.) I sometimes envy folks who get together with family for occasions, but we had that for 5 years earlier in this decade and are glad not to have company at every birthday, anniversary, and holiday - it added up to 15+ events each year and limited our having just friends over.

No one I know now lives where I grew up, but an acquaintance just published a novel about her family from that town and lots of the scenes in the story I know. Weird.

I, honestly, can not answer your question.

I was born in New mexico but only lived there until I was 6 months old.

Lived in California in 3 different places until I was 6 years old.

Lived in Colorado until I was 13.

Then Arkansas,

Then Japan,

Then Arkansas again.

Then Texas,

Then Alaska,

Now, in Alabama.

I am home now. I think. We bought a house with several acres and plan on staying here...so I am home.....right?

:lol:

Sendai, Japan - 250 miles north of Toyko.

But I went to boarding school in Tokyo - and one of our rivals in sports was the team at Yokota AFB. That's where I had my first taste of Mexican food!

lol. How funny!!

Where did you have mexican food?

On base?

But I went to boarding school in Tokyo - and one of our rivals in sports was the team at Yokota AFB. That's where I had my first taste of Mexican food!

Man, I would LOVE to go to Japan!! They have the best guitar stores there.

Um, we're living in the same house I grew up in. We live about 10 miles from where my dh grew up.

Me Too! We bought my parents house after my mom died (mom and dad were divorced) and dh grew up about 16 miles from here. I actually know several people who are now living in the houses they grew up in. :001_smile:

How cool. How was boarding school in Tokyo?

I use to work in Tokyo. At the New Sanno hotel. I worked at the Nations bank cubby hole. At least it felt like one. I was stuck in there all day with an old, sweaty guy who was really weird. His name was Bill. I still can not think of that name w/o laughing.

lol. How funny!!

Where did you have mexican food?

On base?

Yes, on base. It was also the place where I learned how to use American money - painfully, slowly reading each coin to see how much it was worth. I liked bills they were easy to see how much they were worth but I hated it when I had to use change!

Later, when I came to the US for college, I found out that I hadn't practiced with coins enough. I used up all the bills in my wallet and then was left with a pile of coins. People were so impatient and mean as I tried to pay for snacks etc. at 7-11. The cashier made some very rude comments about my mental capabilities.

Here I am in. . . . .Alabama?!

(shhh. . . . .I really like it here!)

:iagree:Hey Heather...

haven't you heard that God made Alabama... then He rested!

I love Alabama. It is my home state... grew up about 45 miles from current resident and we live too far from home! ;) Hubby has job near Huntsville & we are trying to sell our house and move. Nice to be all under 1 roof... but that is another 120+ miles from home. Not best pick, but great job in hard times!

Yes, on base. It was also the place where I learned how to use American money - painfully, slowly reading each coin to see how much it was worth. I liked bills they were easy to see how much they were worth but I hated it when I had to use change!

Later, when I came to the US for college, I found out that I hadn't practiced with coins enough. I used up all the bills in my wallet and then was left with a pile of coins. People were so impatient and mean as I tried to pay for snacks etc. at 7-11. The cashier made some very rude comments about my mental capabilities.

Oh that's terrible!! :( I've gotten in trouble for using coins as well. I was in France once and it was a saturday so I couldn't change any money (this was before the Euro) and I had to pay the check at the restaurant with coin Francs. The waitress wasn't too pleased.

I laughed so hard, I think I woke my children up.

This is exactly how I felt working at the bank every day. I had to learn Japanese currency and it was almost boggling. I came up short or over almost every day for my first few weeks. My boss hated me. Besides keeping the Yen straight, the rate changed daily and it confused the heck out of me. lol. Everyone was happier when I quit. :lol:

I was not meant to be a bank teller overseas.

:iagree:Hey Heather...

haven't you heard that God made Alabama... then He rested!

I love Alabama. It is my home state... grew up about 45 miles from current resident and we live too far from home! ;) Hubby has job near Huntsville & we are trying to sell our house and move. Nice to be all under 1 roof... but that is another 120+ miles from home. Not best pick, but great job in hard times!

I can't tell you how much I am in love with Alabama. The farthest south I had ever been before this was Arkansas. It is so pretty here. The honeysuckle, jasmine, blackberries, muscadine, rolling hills, quiet rivers, and down home people, make me never want to leave. I love Alabama.

There is a lady in our town who lives in the house her great-grandfather built with his own hands (with help), she parks her car in the garage her grandfather built with his own hands (with help), and she grew up in that house and has lived there all her life. Her father and her husband each added to it as well.

To me, that is so neat to live in a house with such extensive family history. The house is beautiful, IMO. She was genuinely surprised when I said that -- I guess she's just so used to living there, and dealing with all the peculiarities that arise with older houses, that she never noticed.

Edited by RoughCollie