Menu

How far do you live from where you grew up?

My husband and I were both raised in Virginia, but moved to Maryland when our oldest was just a few weeks old. We lived there for 14 years and then moved back to Virginia 4 years ago.

We're now living 3 hours away from where I grew up, and 1 hour away from where he grew up. :)

800 miles south. I grew in Kansas City, north of the river. Lived in and around that area until three years ago. Now I enjoy winter, tall trees, and I'm an hour (not a plane ride) away from the beach. :D We probably will never live north of the I-10 line again.

I'm not sure how many miles it is but I grew up in upstate NY (St Lawrence River Valley) and now live in south central PA. I've also lived in south western VA, RI, and FL (St Pete). Hubby is from NC and VA. We'd love to live in HI or perhaps other South Pacific islands... and may someday.

We've never lived close to family. I agree that there are pros and cons to that... but I have no regrets.

My dh and I bought it after my parents retired and left our town. It was just a good idea at the time because we were newly married and the housing market was very low in this town at that time. So we bought our house from parents at fair market price. It was weird at first (for me) but overall it was a good decision all those years ago.

I grew up in the Texas panhandle and now I live near Phoenix, so it's about an eleven hour drive.

The farthest I've lived from there is Japan, I was stationed on ship forward deployed from there for 2 years when I was in the Navy. Though since I lived aboard, there were times when I lived even further away than that, as the ship went all over the Pacific and up into the Persian Gulf.

I've lived in Great Lakes, Ill., Virginia Beach, VA, and Orlando, FL. VA Beach was probably my favorite, climate-wise (though not much different from Yokosuka, Japan), but I wasn't there for a full year. I'd rather live here in the desert than in Florida (and DH swore when he left there he'd never live in Florida again--even to the point, when I was considering re-enlisting, that if I'd gotten stationed in Florida somehow, he'd move as far as Georgia and I could commute!), and I'd rather live either place than deal with another Chicago winter. I lived in Idaho during the early part of my childhood, and winter was fun; as an adult obliged to shovel snow, I'll give it a pass!

I do miss home sometimes, mostly because I miss family, but I married a city boy and Arizona native.

I live about 900 miles from home. I grew up in SE Wisconsin, and am now in SE Virginia. I'm not here by choice though, although I kind of am. LOL, I chose my husband thus have to live here because this is where the Navy has him stationed. How's that for a weird answer. He's got about 6 years left and then we'll either move to KS, NE, or SW Wisconsin.

I'm from Milwaukee, now living south of Richmond. We're a Marine Corps family and, after 20+ years of service, this is our last duty station. We considered moving back to WI, but just bought our retirement home here in VA.

989 miles! I was born and raised in southern New Hampshire. We now live about 20 miles outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. I always say I should have been born in the south. I feel at home here.

I'm over 7,000 miles (abt 15 hrs by plane) from "home"; but I spend about a month every summer in the same house I grew up in, does that count? We moved into that house when I was three years old, now the kids are gone and it's just my parents there.

My family is really big on establishing roots and tradition, I don't know where I got my wanderlust from.

I'll play

I'm living approximately 8000 miles from where I was born and roughly 3250 miles from where I spent most of my childhood.

Dh is only about 1700 miles from his place of birth and 2000 miles from where he grew up.

That's a long way!

~Moira