Menu

When do your students get out of classes for Thanksgiving?

regentrude

Our local university used to have classes on Monday+Tuesday, but a few years back they switched to giving students the entire week off. I taught a Tuesday class before that change; it was so not worth it. So, our students went home last Friday.

My DD's school is at the other end of the spectrum: they have classes until Wednesday afternoon! Her 2pm class is not cancelled.

I know the reputation of the school and it is part of the appeal - but this, I think, is just.... nuts.

Anybody else's college have classes this afternoon?

My son's does. And this will be the first year he doesn't have an exam right after Thanksgiving break. As it's the last week of classes, professors have to get special permission to hold exams. But he's always had at least one science or math prof do it. On the other hand, my niece who goes to college nearby and comes to spend her break with us has nine days off.

Mine go through today.  Some classes get cancelled at times, but certainly not all of them.

Youngest son has been on his own (with friends) for Thanksgiving.  Middle is fortunate to have an aunt who picks him up and brings him to our family gathering.  We'll take him back Sunday, then return home ourselves Monday.

Our local university used to have classes on Monday+Tuesday, but a few years back they switched to giving students the entire week off. I taught a Tuesday class before that change; it was so not worth it. So, our students went home last Friday.

My DD's school is at the other end of the spectrum: they have classes until Wednesday afternoon! Her 2pm class is not cancelled.

I know the reputation of the school and it is part of the appeal - but this, I think, is just.... nuts.

Anybody else's college have classes this afternoon?

Ds's school is off the entire week. Also on a quarter system, but he started a week earlier than your dd. I think they do that on purpose.

Our local state flagship goes Monday and Tuesday. They have a two-day fall break in October. I think it woudl be better if they skipped that and let the students our all week, but I am not in charge.

I have out-of-state friends whose ds goes to an out-of-state flagship. He is supposed to have classes on Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, and they schedule his flight home accordingly. However, more than one year he has had his classes canceled for Monday and Tuesday but not early enough to make a difference in their flight preparations for him. Profs do it last-minute. I'm sure they think it is a kind gesture, and I'm sure it works great for kids who are in-state and just hop in their cars and drive home. However, it's exceedingly frustrating for our friends whose ds has to fly.

It's the prof's call at Northwestern. I think my son has only a math class today. Normally he'd have two other classes. He doesn't want to come home until Thanksgiving morning, though, so he can hang out with his friends who are sticking around. Translation: we're all going into the city to have fun until the wee hours of the morning.

Several of his friends will be spending Thanksgiving with us. We are stocked to the gills with food. Our house is where everyone hangs out anyway so it's no biggie. I like having everyone over. The more, the merrier.

Right after Thanksgiving is Reading Week, the week before finals when students can study. No classes. My son has to take his second placement exam for Latin as well. Not holding my breath on that one because it's poetry and will be a bugger for him. We fully expect he will be taking one quarter of Latin. LOL.

Winter Break begins December 11th.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 1

Yes, classes this afternoon! I was secretly hoping the instructor's would cancel!

However, I'll add that they get a huge block off at Christmas. After Thanksgiving, they only have one more week of classes. Finals are the 7th-11th, and then they are off until January 11th! 

Edited by MerryAtHope

The community college that my older kids attend still has all of its Wednesday classes happening as usual.

My kids only have Tuesday/Thursday classes so the only class they are missing because of the thanksgiving trip to visit my parents was the Tuesday class yesterday. The instructors, all four of them, were very accommodating of our travel plans. (We left on Saturday morning and will be back on Sunday. So they were gone about a week, but only missed the one class.)

My 20yo's university is off all week.

The cc where my 17yo is taking dual credit classes goes all the way through Wednesday night. She had class this morning.

The charter school where I teach had a full day on Monday and a half-day on Tuesday. We had maybe 2/3 attendance on Tuesday and every teacher just showed movies or had a class party because the administration had us switch classes every 33 minutes so we could have every class meet even though we were only doing a half-day of school. All the schools around us took off this entire week.

Ds's school had classes until Wednesday. His Wednesday classes were cancelled so he got a ride home late Tuesday. I think they should do a week. They have a week for fall break. I think they should drop that and do a week at thanksgiving. Partly I think this because the school is so in accessible--it's in a tiny remote town without any transit (bus, plane, train) besides car. The nearest town with transit is a 4 hour drive. Thankfully, ds found some near home who has a car.

I think the decision to require people to vacate campus should include analysis of whether or not students can easily get anywhere away from campus.

My son had classes scheduled through Tuesday afternoon and a dance rehearsal that evening. I could have picked him up late on Tuesday night, but he preferred to leave early on Wednesday, instead. It worked out for me, because my daughter flew in from NYC, and her plane arrived just after midnight Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I wasn't looking forward to making the three- to four-hour round-trip drive to collect my son and then heading out in a different direction to the airport to pick up my daughter.

DS's school let out the Friday before (last Friday). I picked him up that night and brought him home.  He has to be back Monday so we are leaving today. I want to clean his room a bit before heading home.  His roommate chews and spits and the floor and wall by the trashcan are disgusting.  

DD's school has classes through Tuesday.  I had to teach through Wed.  I wish all three schools had the week off.  It would have been more fun. 

At least this is a short break that somewhat coincided, unlike Spring break.  Not one of the three schools (DS's, DD's or mine) has the same Spring Break.  There are no opportunities for trying to coordinate plans.

Thursday and Friday only; they do get 2 days off in October as well for fall break. Semester system. 

They also get split breaks in the second semester: 2 days off for Mardi Gras, 3 days off for spring break, which has to be hard on the students who would like to travel home. Some of the local unis manage the full week of spring break even though they have to close for Mardi Gras, so I'm not sure why they all can't. 

I'm late to the conversation, but ds's college was closed Wed-Fri. He doesn't have any classes on Tuesday, so he came home Monday and will be headed back tonight.

Like ElegantLion though, it was a catch up week, not a week off. He has 4 papers due this coming week, one very major paper and 3 smaller ones. He spent all his time writing and revising and really only came out on Thanksgiving day to go to the ILs and some this weekend when my family was here. He's back in his room trying to get the final revision done on the big paper. He got one small one finished and another one started. The smaller papers aren't due until Friday, but without this week, he would have been in trouble.

DD is dual-enrolled and has a full day of class today, but at a community college there are fewer kids who have long trips home for the holidays. I think colleges that draw from a wider geographical area should end classes earlier.

Honestly... when I was in college, I didn't expect to go home at Thanksgiving. just Christmas. Having a whole week off would have just made it more obvious that I WASN"T going home.

Honestly... when I was in college, I didn't expect to go home at Thanksgiving. just Christmas. Having a whole week off would have just made it more obvious that I WASN"T going home.

Ds's college closed the dorms for Thanksgiving. Paying extra to stay for the holiday would definitely have drawn attention to your decision. :)