Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

Oh, and one more thought.  I have a question.   The template came with a newsletter option.   I didn't know that our site had that feature until today.   I was wondering if there might be interest in using it as a way for students to share their writing in a safe, private environment.  The kids have plenty of opportunities to write the endings to the stories in the book, so they might find it fun to see what other kids decided to have happen. 

That's a cool idea! I bet Morgan would enjoy that.  She is dying to hear the ending of the stories . . . I don't think she realizes yet that she gets to make them up!

• Like 4

I also really liked the samples. I've read threads where you've talked about the way you teach grammar and writing, and I've been so interested to really "see" it. I'm thinking this might work well for us next year. Congratulations.

• Like 2

The program will be sold for $30 as a pdf download.   The student book is included with its own ToC as a separate section in the back of the book.  Simply printing out single pages over the course of the yr should work.   For those that want to print it, be aware that it is long.   It is around 340 pages between TM and student book.  (The student book does not include any instructional content.  It has to be taught.)

:hurray: Will international sales become available at the same time as US? 

• Like 1

I can and will use this program with my 9-year old this year (and again with my youngest in a few years), but even if I had no use for it, I'd buy it anyway. I've learned so much from you, 8, over the years that I feel like a $30 'tip' has absolutely been well-earned. Thank you for your years of hard work and the willingness to share your wisdom with the rest of us. I hope my girls possess a bit of your moxie as they mature into adulthood.

• Like 29

I can and will use this program with my 9-year old this year (and again with my youngest in a few years), but even if I had no use for it, I'd buy it anyway. I've learned so much from you, 8, over the years that I feel like a $30 'tip' has absolutely been well-earned. Thank you for your years of hard work and the willingness to share your wisdom with the rest of us. I hope my girls possess a bit of your moxie as they mature into adulthood.

This!!!

• Like 3

:hurray: Will international sales become available at the same time as US?

No. This is where not having any business background makes things difficult. The first 26 weeks of the book are not an issue. They are 100% good to go. The last 6 weeks use excerpts from public domain non-fiction books. I have learned how public domain works in the US, but it is different internationally. I have thought about just selling the first 2 sections internationally, so basically it would be the "international edition." I don't really like that idea bc the third section is so important. Another thought I have had is turning the third section into a how to guide teaching parents the methods I use so they can simply find their own materials, but I am so wiped out by the process that it is going to have to wait a few weeks. The other issue is taxes for international sales. I haven't even looked into it and that is something I am going to have to have an answer to before I can proceed.

So, it looks like it covers grammar and writing...is there enough grammar to not need a separate program for a 4th grader? We started fll4 but the thought of continuing it this year is seriously causing angst :lol:

A fourth grader should not need another grammar program. I only touch on mechanics peripherally.
  • Like 2

I think I'm going to buy this. My only child is in high school now, so I seriously don't need it. But I have been so intrigued by 8's writing posts over the years that I just have to see this method in action.

Congrats on the hard work and accomplishment!

• Like 5

Another thought I have had is turning the third section into a how to guide teaching parents the methods I use so they can simply find their own materials, but I am so wiped out by the process that it is going to have to wait a few weeks. The other issue is taxes for international sales. I haven't even looked into it and that is something I am going to have to have an answer to before I can proceed.

A fourth grader should not need another grammar program. I only touch on mechanics peripherally.

I like this idea, perhaps this would also help with the implementation for those with kids who need more or less practice. Of course it seems to me from looking at the samples that after going through it a parent ought to be able to recreate the process with subsequent pieces if that is needed. Maybe some wording in there about how one could do this if more practice is needed or also cut out selections if the students seems to be mastering the process quickly would help alleviate your fears about parents not adapting the program to the needs of their students. Of course it seems that with your experience with kids at varying ends of the spectrum you've probably hit just right for the vast majority of kids who will be somewhere in the middle.

It is nice to see your expectations, sometimes as a relative newbie you wonder if you are expecting too much or too little so it is nice to have another guide as to averages, even if it is somewhat vague as it is meant for a range of kids.

• Like 1

This x 1000!  I learn so much from your posts and those of other veterans on the board.  I doubt I could ever put a book out there with all the attendant issues as a fellow wallflower, but I am sure grateful that you are publishing it. :)

• Like 3

Thank you 8 for putting yourself out there! The loss of anonymity was one of the first things I thought of when I peeked at the website (gasp! I'm going to know her real name!) It would be hard for me to do. Especially knowing that people would some day be critiquing my work. But I'm so grateful you're willing to share your experience with the rest of us!!

And I'm glad I have a 4th grader at home this year to try it out on. ;)

• Like 8

Congrats 8FillstheHeart -- that is pretty fantastic!  It must be pretty cool to see your work launched!

I haven't had a chance to look at this entire thread, nor most of the samples, but I wonder this: SWB has changed her recommendations to say that kids should go on to something else if they finish WWE4 in fourth grade, because WWS1 is a lot for fifth grade.  I agree with that and thought it was a lot for my sixth grader.  So I'm looking at my fourth grader this year and thinking that WWE4 is perfect for him now, but I'll be looking for something that fits him for fifth grade.  Do you think TC would be a good complement to the WWE series?

• Like 1

This looks awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on the entire thing.  Thanks so much for putting yourself out there. I would find that difficult to do also but I am thankful that you have done so.  I have some of your threads printed off and often refer to them.  I have been looking forward to seeing your book.  Congratulations and thanks for all of the effort and time you have put into this.

Did someone say this will be available on this coming Friday?

• Like 1

Congrats 8FillstheHeart -- that is pretty fantastic!  It must be pretty cool to see your work launched!

I haven't had a chance to look at this entire thread, nor most of the samples, but I wonder this: SWB has changed her recommendations to say that kids should go on to something else if they finish WWE4 in fourth grade, because WWS1 is a lot for fifth grade.  I agree with that and thought it was a lot for my sixth grader.  So I'm looking at my fourth grader this year and thinking that WWE4 is perfect for him now, but I'll be looking for something that fits him for fifth grade.  Do you think TC would be a good complement to the WWE series?

When you get a chance, peek at my posts #12 & #16, where I provide my humble opinion of the answer to your question! FWIW.  :)

• Like 2

When you get a chance, peek at my posts #12 & #16, where I provide my humble opinion of the answer to your question! FWIW.  :)

Ah.  Yes, I should read the whole thread first.  Thank you for addressing my post specifically and pointing out your other posts, though.  I did read them, and it sounds like this will fit our needs for that gap very nicely.  I'm going to look at more of the samples when I have time, but I think I will plan on getting it for DS1 next year. :)

• Like 2

8---I am just so jazzed for you I could twirl and do a happy dance!!!  We havebeen through it ALL through the years and I am just so stinkin' excited for you!!! It is giving me the "moxy" to put out there what I do....LOL!!!! Just  not yet.  :lol:     Best of all things!!!!  You made me so happy today when I read this!!!

Faithe

• Like 4

No. This is where not having any business background makes things difficult. The first 26 weeks of the book are not an issue. They are 100% good to go. The last 6 weeks use excerpts from public domain non-fiction books. I have learned how public domain works in the US, but it is different internationally. I have thought about just selling the first 2 sections internationally, so basically it would be the "international edition." I don't really like that idea bc the third section is so important. Another thought I have had is turning the third section into a how to guide teaching parents the methods I use so they can simply find their own materials, but I am so wiped out by the process that it is going to have to wait a few weeks. The other issue is taxes for international sales. I haven't even looked into it and that is something I am going to have to have an answer to before I can proceed.

Thanks for letting me know.

It looks like there is more information on the page. I enjoyed reading the why section. I'm really looking forward to this program, I already think I love it as much as WR, although in entirely different ways. I used WWE with WR last year but I like the idea of using this instead when dd comes along. Personally I'm thinking 4th for dd, ds is 4th/5th this year and although the earlier work seems on the easier end the later work will be much easier for him this year than last.

• Like 1

I had two main writing streams for my upcoming third grader's year. First we are going to use ELTL for narration, copywork and dictation. And I was going to teach paragraph writing by integrating it into our other subjects and notebooking (this part I was just going to wing). Now I'm thinking TC might give me the tools and structure to do a better job of teaching paragraph writing, so that we can integrate it across the subject areas.

• Like 1

I had two main writing streams for my upcoming third grader's year. First we are going to use ELTL for narration, copywork and dictation. And I was going to teach paragraph writing by integrating it into our other subjects and notebooking (this part I was just going to wing). Now I'm thinking TC might give me the tools and structure to do a better job of teaching paragraph writing, so that we can integrate it across the subject areas.

My oldest is using ELTL and really likes it.  It has inspired her to write all sorts of things whereas before she seemed dormant about expressing herself in writing.  I don't want to drop it so I may use TC as more of the how to guide to write for science and history as I want to teach paragraph, report style writing in the content areas anyway.  We'll see when I look at TC tomorrow and see how it goes with dd.  The page where the purchase buttons will be added is up :)

• Like 4

My oldest is using ELTL and really likes it.  It has inspired her to write all sorts of things whereas before she seemed dormant about expressing herself in writing.  I don't want to drop it so I may use TC as more of the how to guide to write for science and history as I want to teach paragraph, report style writing in the content areas anyway.  We'll see when I look at TC tomorrow and see how it goes with dd.  The page where the purchase buttons will be added is up :)

Seems like we have similar thoughts!

.... so I may use TC as more of the how to guide to write for science and history as I want to teach paragraph, report style writing in the content areas anyway...

I am looking forward to the *teach-the-teacher* aspect of this program. Putting 8's writing threads in a binder with TC is not a bad idea. I have been putting together lessons inspired by 8's past posts.  Seeing it in scripted form, even just the samples so far, has given me both the "aha" moment and the "I'm not so terrible at this thing." moment.

• Like 9

I have 3 levels of WWE even though I first bought the hardback volume.  It is so helpful for me to see a year's worth of scripted lessons in order to understand the method.  Now with dd2 I am making our own copywork since it all makes sense to me now.  So much curriculum that I own is teacher training for me. :)

• Like 6

I am looking forward to the *teach-the-teacher* aspect of this program. Putting 8's writing threads in a binder with TC is not a bad idea. I have been putting together lessons inspired by 8's past posts. Seeing it in scripted form, even just the samples so far, has given me both the "aha" moment and the "I'm not so terrible at this thing." moment.

. We need someone to post links to all of 8's past threads on writing.
  • Like 6

Congratulations, 8!!

When you discuss the Socratic dialogue between the teacher and student, my heart flutters, and I can't wait to see how you'll approach it in your curriculum.  I'll be purchasing it as a teacher guide for me and a great big 'Thank You' for sharing yourself with us.

• Like 3

Yeah, do this before Chreia, definitely.  Chreia does a little bitty lesson on how to write paragraphs, and then has kids writin 6-paragraph essays.  I'm going to do TC before Chreia and Narrative 2.

The question is can we get N2 and TC done in a year? I'm thinking it should be ok but it is hard to say. I believe he will go fairly fast through the first part considering what we've already done but I'm not certain of the pace for the later part, without seeing it all it is hard to tell. Of course I don't want to rush anything but I love everything done in neat little tidy increments