Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

DS isn't actually dyslexic/dysgraphic (AFAIK) but this is our first introduction to grammar and I agree that lessons 6 and 7 are difficult.

To be precise, the instruction is very clear and the verbal drills are great. But the copywork/marking exercise at the end seem, I don't know, a notch harder. DS continually gets tripped up by nouns that aren't obvious, e.g. 'cave-dways' (an imaginary animal from the context of the passage), 'unseating' (context is a knight's being unsaddled at a tournament). When he misidentifies those as nouns, he will subsequently label the adjectives incorrectly and the number of errors cascade so he's getting discouraged.

8FillTheHeart, I would love if you added that option in another revision, but I know you are busy and this doesn't detract from the fact this is a wonderful curriculum :coolgleamA: . So I don't know, perhaps I should find a page of simpler paragraphs to label as an optional exercise for those lessons? Anyone have suggestions on how I do that? I would write up my own if I could but frankly, I'm learning along with DS and my only advantage over him is that I hold the teacher's manual. :blushing:

I would suggest doing what I recommended to Fair Prospects. Let your ds hold the actual passage. Write the base sentence on a piece of paper or a dry erase board. So with the sentence you referenced, you would write

He remembered.

Then ask him guiding questions like those in the lessons. How did he remember? If the words in the sentence trip him up,replace them with words he is more familiar with and demonstrate how the function in the sentence remains unchanged.

OK, so He remembered. How can you remember things? He sadly remembered, He unhappily remembered, He definitely remembered, etc. What word is used in the same way in the original?

He vaguely remembered.

Vaguely is describing how he remembered. What part of speech describes how a verb's action is performed?

In the sentence, he remembered something. What did he remember? The unseating. Let's look at what we just said. He remembered something. The something was the unseating. (write those down if you need to.) What clues do you have in what we just said? Look around the room and name something you see. What types of words are they? Nouns. What is the other clue from our discussion that would be a clue that we are looking for a noun? He remembered *the* unseating.

Another approach would be to again try a more familiar word like accident. He remembered the accident and go through the discussion like with vaguely.

Next, add in discussion surrounding the adjs.

I would not leave children who are making mistakes or getting frustrated alone to label the parts of speech. Use the labeling as a continuation of the teaching from the lessons and ask questions to guide their understanding. The goal is for them to think through the process in order to eventually be able to parse any sentence they encounter. Learning how to break the sentence down by thinking through what they do know will serve them more in the long run than parsing really simple sentences where they don't have to think. But, he is only 8, and this is first exposure to grammar. (My kids start doing this as soon as they are reading.) Offer as much support as required until he starts asking the questions himself. (Eventually, you can simply prompt them to think about what they know and what sort of questions do they think would help them decide.)

Does that help?

• Like 5

I would suggest doing what I recommended to Fair Prospects. Let your ds hold the actual passage. Write the base sentence on a piece of paper or a dry erase board. So with the sentence you referenced, you would write

Does that help?

Yes, thank you so much! It makes so much sense, and I look forward to trying this on Monday. :) 

Question about downloading. I would want the book on my Kindle so I could have the teacher's book with me while teaching without having to print it and then on the computer so I can print off the student pages. (I can't print with my kindle....wish I knew how but beyond my tech ability)

Would I be able to copy the file on to my kindle after I save the file or is it read/print only?

(Not the author, but ...) I think you can do this. There are two files -- one for the teacher book & one for the student pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Specifically the later grammar lessons 6-8.

Just a word for those of you behind us. I suggest splitting Week 6, Day 2 into at least two days. We ended up splitting it into three days - to help with the "where to put the apostrophe" and because it was taking us awhile to get through all that work. We were able to do Week 6, Day 3 in one day, but I considered splitting that one into two days as well.

We're using the colors from the Sentence Family when we mark up the copywork. (Circle verbs in red. Nouns underlined in blue. Adjectives are noted with green. Adverbs get orange arrows. Articles are marked with yellow. Pronoun is boxed with brown. Preposition marked in purple. Etc.)

• Like 3

8 - We started TC today, and I'm 100% pleased thus far...I've only had a chance to look through the first several lessons. This meshes nicely with how I already teach (highly inspired by your past posts along with Nan in Mass). I can't wait to dig into your paragraph writing lessons b/c that's where I feel I'm failing at the moment.

• Like 1

8 - we are in lesson 9 and still doing great. Just wanted to give you a heads' up that in my PDF of the student book, I believe pages 44 and 46 are switched. The grammar paragraphs are about Sherry being with the mermaid. On page 46, Sherry falls in the water, but on 44 she's already in the water. It is in the proper order in the teacher's manual, though.

• Like 1

Well, I'm thoroughly discouraged. It just won't work here and only emphasizes how much ds's dyslexia & dysgraphia LDs impact him. There is no way ds can keep up with this amount of language in grammar, reading, or writing. His language processing is just too slow. He took over an hour to do just the paragraph copywork analysis of Week 9, Day 1 (not even the copying) today and this was in addition to the time we already spent discussing language and paragraph structure. The language is too befuddled in his brain and there is no way I can spend 1+  hrs per day on just TC. I appreciate the teaching style and I do think it is clear but I can't figure out a way to make it work for us no matter how much I like it. Both boys need too much language support and are too slow to recall & process. Ds picks up on the main topic immediately and can instantly identify which sentences should not be in a paragraph but he just can't process paragraph after paragraph and do analysis. It eats up too much of his working memory and he bogs down. I think I'm going to have to go back to dysgraphic specific or remedial materials. Just posting back to give some perspective on how it works for different situations. I wish it had worked for us.

• Like 3

I love the look of this program and I'm considering adding it in after Christmas for my girls. We are currently doing an outside writing class. My 4th grader is doing IEW and my 3rd grader is doing a class held by a friend of mine. My problem with IEW so far is it seems like all they do is key word outlines and write from that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the program but I don't get how that will help them write and opinion piece or a persuasive argument or any creative writing. Would TC help them with different types of writing? 

• Like 1

I love the look of this program and I'm considering adding it in after Christmas for my girls. We are currently doing an outside writing class. My 4th grader is doing IEW and my 3rd grader is doing a class held by a friend of mine. My problem with IEW so far is it seems like all they do is key word outlines and write from that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the program but I don't get how that will help them write and opinion piece or a persuasive argument or any creative writing. Would TC help them with different types of writing?

I had the same concern with IEW. So much time spent on KWOs, which is probably fine for the kids whose only trouble is getting well organized thoughts onto paper. My son's trouble start way before that, with figuring out how to even organize his thoughts to get his message across. TC looks like it addresses that part of the process explicitly, which is why I'm thinking of using it for my 13 year old ....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fun times in Treasured Conversations . . .

1. (This is our first trip through grammar w/DS8; he may or may not be under the impression that 8FillTheHeart actually INVENTED the 8 parts of speech.) "Mom, you should tell the writer of this book about "sandwich nouns" (which he thinks are hilarious - noun-conjunction-noun)."

"They already have a name, honey - compound nouns. Cool, huh?"

"So can I have a peanut butter and jelly COMPOUND BREAD for lunch?" *rolling the floor laughter* "Get it, mom?! BREAD IS A NOUN!"

2. He likes to call it "the treasured con." I pointed out to him that someone *might* mistake that title for a . . ., very valuable criminal / con artist. He said that would be good, because you can't con a con - meaning, nobody will steal his "treasured con."

:)
Just sharing our joy here.

• Like 7

Fun times in Treasured Conversations . . .

1. (This is our first trip through grammar w/DS8; he may or may not be under the impression that 8FillTheHeart actually INVENTED the 8 parts of speech.) "Mom, you should tell the writer of this book about "sandwich nouns" (which he thinks are hilarious - noun-conjunction-noun)."

"They already have a name, honey - compound nouns. Cool, huh?"

"So can I have a peanut butter and jelly COMPOUND BREAD for lunch?" *rolling the floor laughter* "Get it, mom?! BREAD IS A NOUN!"

2. He likes to call it "the treasured con." I pointed out to him that someone *might* mistake that title for a . . ., very valuable criminal / con artist. He said that would be good, because you can't con a con - meaning, nobody will steal his "treasured con."

:)

Just sharing our joy here.

Tell your son he made me smile today. :) It was a long hard day, and I really needed a view of the world through a child's eyes.
  • Like 5

We started this week. We did lessons 1 and 2. My dd is using FLL 4 so has had a good bit of grammar. The exercises have been good, not too difficult, but still worth it. We plan to go quickly through the first section, of course taking as much time as needed to master the concepts. I am really looking forward to seeing how this works for her. She has completed W&R Narrative 1 and after TC plan to do the next two books of W&R next year.

• Like 1

So for those of you who have been using this for a bit now. . .

DS1 is in 4th grade. We did not do WWE1, but he did WWE2 in 2nd grade, WWE3 in 3rd, and is now doing well with WWE4. But from experience with his sister, I know that WWS1 is a big step up, so I'm planning to have him start that in 6th grade. I was planning to use TC next year for 5th grade. Can those of you who have been using it tell me what you think? Is it too young for a 5th grader who is competent for grade level, although not gifted in writing?

My ds is in 5th grade and we have slacked on writing over the years.  Our curriculum, LLATL, doesn't have alot of writing instruction.  I need to get her into a good writing curriculum and it looks like Treasured Conversations may be the best choice (vs Writing Tales).  We use Easy Grammar.  Would that be overdoing the grammar along with TC?  Is TC an open and go curriculum?  I realize it is parent intensive, which is fine.  Also, does TC assume that the parent already  knows how to teach writing? 

Thanks!

Fwiw I think it would be best to do TC now, at least the first section and a good chunk of section 2. TC gives much more help on structure and helps to give some scaffolding that WR doesn't and I think it would be best at that point to be able to fully appreciate WR.

• Like 2

Fwiw I think it would be best to do TC now, at least the first section and a good chunk of section 2. TC gives much more help on structure and helps to give some scaffolding that WR doesn't and I think it would be best at that point to be able to fully appreciate WR.

I completely agree with this!

Thank you for your thoughts.  I have been leaning towards doing TC next.

I have put off reading about TC because I had a plan already. You guys always blow my plans.

So, we just finished Week 18 of WWE4/FLL4 as well as having finished Grammar Town (have begun Practice Town but not Paragraph Town). The plan for next year was the first two levels of CAP W&R with Killgallon Sentence Composing. If I want to use TC, where to put it? Now? Next year instead of my plan? Next year with my plan? After next year? Help!

• Like 2

I have used(am using) all of those. Ideally I think I would do Fable, TC part 1 and at least most of part 2 and then move onto Narrative 2. I think Killgallon would fit well alongside TC, since you've already done Grammar Town and are familiar with the different kinds of phrases. We did some Killgallon last year after PT and then put aside and I just pulled it out again to give us more support for varying our sentence structure, WR has this work built in, but in section 2 of TC this work is not as explicit (although it is discussed pretty thoroughly at the beginning but the grammar discussed does not get into anymore than the basic 8 parts of speech- although it covers them at a very deep level), meaning you have to have that knowledge yourself to make sure the sentences they are writing are varied and interesting.

Fwiw last year we did WWE3 alongside Fable and then Narrative 1, weaving in Killgallon at the end of the year. We did the Island level of MCT (although just doing a bit of the writing) and then moved onto Grammar Town at the end of the year. This year we went onto Paragraph Town and was doing that alongside Narrative 2 when Treasured Conversations came out we switched to it and have mostly just done it by itself. We went back to do some more N2 lessons but I realized we really needed to get through more outlining in TC first, so now we are planning on finishing TC and then finishing N2 and we're doing some Killgallon to compliment our work with TC just to keep it in our mind to vary our sentences and as a grammar review.

• Like 1

Well, I'm thoroughly discouraged. It just won't work here and only emphasizes how much ds's dyslexia & dysgraphia LDs impact him. There is no way ds can keep up with this amount of language in grammar, reading, or writing. His language processing is just too slow. He took over an hour to do just the paragraph copywork analysis of Week 9, Day 1 (not even the copying) today and this was in addition to the time we already spent discussing language and paragraph structure. The language is too befuddled in his brain and there is no way I can spend 1+  hrs per day on just TC. I appreciate the teaching style and I do think it is clear but I can't figure out a way to make it work for us no matter how much I like it. Both boys need too much language support and are too slow to recall & process. Ds picks up on the main topic immediately and can instantly identify which sentences should not be in a paragraph but he just can't process paragraph after paragraph and do analysis. It eats up too much of his working memory and he bogs down. I think I'm going to have to go back to dysgraphic specific or remedial materials. Just posting back to give some perspective on how it works for different situations. I wish it had worked for us.

I deal with many of the same struggles.  We have days that we cannot do our spelling lessons (remediating dyslexia) AND more physical writing.

I will often do 8's style of teaching with what he is already doing, rather than do another entire lesson.  "What is the verb in this sentence?"  "Who is doing the verb?"  To what are we doing the verb?"  Until they can answer these types of questions, it's silly to try and go much farther.  I just apply the lesson to the dictations from spelling.  And, we have been hanging out with the same concepts for a while b/c Section 2 looks like a leap.

After reading 8's old posts, I think I'm doing things similarly to how she did...without a specific time-frame, NOT in lock-step...applying info over and over until it's learned well before adding new.  It may take some kids one lesson, others may need weeks.

Disclaimer:  We are only working in the first section so far. 

• Like 4

I deal with many of the same struggles.  We have days that we cannot do our spelling lessons (remediating dyslexia) AND more physical writing.

I will often do 8's style of teaching with what he is already doing, rather than do another entire lesson.  "What is the verb in this sentence?"  "Who is doing the verb?"  To what are we doing the verb?"  Until they can answer these types of questions, it's silly to try and go much farther.  I just apply the lesson to the dictations from spelling.  And, we have been hanging out with the same concepts for a while b/c Section 2 looks like a leap.

After reading 8's old posts, I think I'm doing things similarly to how she did...without a specific time-frame, NOT in lock-step...applying info over and over until it's learned well before adding new.  It may take some kids one lesson, others may need weeks.

Disclaimer:  We are only working in the first section so far. 

Yes, the techniques are great and we continue many of the discussions too. But we've gone back to using Verticy and Landmark materials for dyslexics that move more slowly through the same essential strategies. Verticy introduces many of the same ideas for paragraph construction but over 4 years instead of 1. Landmark works on building words, then sentences, then paragraphs, and spends much longer on the word and sentence level before moving to paragraphs, which is what many neuropsychs argue is a necessary difference for dyslexics. The end point of functional language usage may be the same (hopefully!) but the timeline is often far disparate. I do love the structure of TC - it just moves too fast for my dyslexics who still need possibly years of work at the word and sentence level. :) Maybe if I was a better teacher I could slow down TC myself, but at this point we need something more scaffolded at the right pace for us.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok wise TC users. I have some questions! We are in lesson 6 day 3... Things are going really well. The real sentence application of grammar has been wonderful. Dd basically has a lot memorized from FLL but applying it has been just what she needed to actually "understand it." So that said...

I know the first section of TC is grammar. We are still doing FLL 4, but I have slowed and we are not doing as much...what about after section 1, is there a lot of grammar or is it mostly writing at that point? Trying to decide whether to finish FLL 4 or drop it completely.

Also trying to decide when to use TC with my ds. Dd is using TC in 4th. What is the best plan of writing here? I have WWE 3 which if we use at all will be only the narration portion. We are also W&R fans.

So somewhere on 3rd-4th I would like ds to TC, CAP Fable and Narrative 1. What's the ideal progression here? And what about WWE3? Worth trying to keep that? This guy has only done WWE 1-2 and I see writing being somewhat of a struggle-- he is bright but has a hard time focusing...

Lastly, if we do TC with ds in 3rd, should I do FLL 3 as planned? I guess that will depend on the answer to my question above about how much grammar is there after section 1. :)

Thank you!

There isn't a ton of grammar in section 2 & 3, so it might be good to at least keep something else on the table for review, or you can just continue reviewing via copywork or dictation sentences.

I have and like all the same resources, but I can't help you at all with planning!  Morgan and I were butting heads a lot before break, so we are trying a new strategy:  She has to do writing every day, but what she uses is her choice: she gets to choose between W&R Narrative 1, WWE3, TC Section 3, and Write From History (which we use just like WWE - oral narration/summary, copywork, dictation, and grammar review).  I realized that with the exception of TC Section 3 (report writing), they are all hitting the same skills, all the skills we want to practice, so why not let her choose what she is in the mood to do?  It's working pretty well so far, zero conflict with writing this week! Anyway, it's not a plan for everyone, but it's an idea to try if autonomy/choice is an issue at your house.  And the reality is, you will be fine whichever you choose.  I really do think that TC has a unique content and method for teaching paragraph writing and reports, but for the other writing skills,, you will be fine whether you do WWE, W&R, or a bit of both.

Morgan is also doing Paragraphs for Elementary School right now, which she really enjoys, and I do think it is helping to cement all the things she has learned in TC about paragraphs, and it has a fun variety of exercises, some more creative and some more analytical.

• Like 2

I'd agree that the grammar in TC sections 2-3 is more review, if you already have a resource you enjoy and are using I'd probably stick with it. We'd already went through the grammar portion of MCT so we are just finishing up Practice Town  and whatever comes up in TC. I was going to forge ahead with something new or the next level of MCT but I decided we would just reviewed what we learned so far. We use some Killgallon here and there as well. 

As for plans, I plan on dd doing homework copywork/narration/dictation until we do Fable and then work on TC, or at least that is the current plan, which could change at any moment, she is such a different child, I'm just trying to figure her out :)

• Like 1

We are in lesson 7, day 3 and are doing MCT Island level (grammar and practice only).  When we finish section 1 of TC, we will do a couple weeks of WR Fable.  After that, I will let my son choose what he wants to for the week between TC, WR, and BW. We will just move forward as we do with the caveat that I want my ds to finish TC.  I think we should be able to finish TC, WR Fable and Narrative 1, plus all of BW Partnership Writing by the end of 4th.  He is in 3rd now (age 9).  

BTW, for background, my ds has completed WWE 1 and almost all of WWE 2, plus ELTL 2.  He is doing wonderful with TC right now.  He does better when I partner with him for writing and the three above resources work well for my goals and his preferences.  

Ok, just an example of how things can bubble up and meld:  Morgan and I were working on a PfES exercise today, where you are given a topic sentence and asked to create a paragraph.  Well, she used the technique she learned in TC to dictate an outline to me - with points A-L, no less! and then proceeded to write her paragraph/story just like she had done with the Anthony story in TC.  It was really cool to see her use the tools she had learned in a different context!  

I think this is the beauty of TC - it helps you see what it is you are trying to teach, and so then you can use almost any material to help reach that goal.  Anyway, it was a pretty cool organic writing lesson!

• Like 4

Ok wise TC users. I have some questions! We are in lesson 6 day 3... Things are going really well. The real sentence application of grammar has been wonderful. Dd basically has a lot memorized from FLL but applying it has been just what she needed to actually "understand it." So that said...

I know the first section of TC is grammar. We are still doing FLL 4, but I have slowed and we are not doing as much...what about after section 1, is there a lot of grammar or is it mostly writing at that point? Trying to decide whether to finish FLL 4 or drop it completely.

Also trying to decide when to use TC with my ds. Dd is using TC in 4th. What is the best plan of writing here? I have WWE 3 which if we use at all will be only the narration portion. We are also W&R fans.

So somewhere on 3rd-4th I would like ds to TC, CAP Fable and Narrative 1. What's the ideal progression here? And what about WWE3? Worth trying to keep that? This guy has only done WWE 1-2 and I see writing being somewhat of a struggle-- he is bright but has a hard time focusing...

Lastly, if we do TC with ds in 3rd, should I do FLL 3 as planned? I guess that will depend on the answer to my question above about how much grammar is there after section 1. :)

Thank you!

I'm no help on the sequence question, but I am also using TC with a 4th grader and we dropped FLL4 while we were the first section of TC, then picked it back up again once we had the flow of the second section going.

We did 1/2 of WWE 3 and Fable before TC. I would like to finish WWE 3 because summarizing is a skill dd struggles with. She is a natural CM style narrator and a good storyteller, but the analytical part is a challenge for her.

Thanks to all of your raving reviews here I decided to order Treasured Conversations today.  It just looks wonderful and all of your reviews seem like it will fit great into our writing curriculum change of plans.  I have it downloaded and will be waiting for my printed copy from Office Depot.  I can't wait to read and study it before starting using it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm thinking of purchasing/ordering/printing. What is the final verdict on recommended printing - location, cover, paper weight binding? I got overwhelmed with all the suggestions earlier in the thread when I tried to translate that to an actual order.... ;)

I uploaded the TM to FedExOffice to price printing it. I set it up w/Heart's recommendations: covers on 110 lb paper, all the rest with 24 lb paper, black & white, double-sided -- all coil-bound. Came to about $32 before taxes. Just FYI.

OfficeDepot's online site:

Coil bound, Front & back covers 100 lb gloss. Their B/W option is 20lb paper comes to $23.88. Upgrade to 28 lb Laser takes it to $27.18 (same price as Bright 24 lb white). Printing is 25% off right now (automatically applied coupon: 25% Off Print On Demand 92029543), bringing the price back down to $20.67. [Note:  I don't know if it matters or not, but I made an "exception" to the front page & made it the 100 lb gloss paper. Then, I went into some other tab & added the back cover as 100# Glossy Elite or something like that.]

I think Staples offered the best price, but some places had some weird software glitches that caused printing mistakes in the book. Office Depot/Office Max was probably the best next price, but again, some people had trouble -- this time with not letting the purchasers print it due to what they thought were copyright problems. So, I'd suggest pricing at whatever is closest to you. I included Heart's recommended settings above.

Good luck!

I am not sure what is the best price but I went with Office Depot.  I am not sure what I messed up (or if they did) but I ended up with 2 copies each of the student book and the teacher manual.  Something was messed up with the paper weight too because I was charged a whole lot for 1 of the books but all of them are the same weight.  In the end I have an extra set that I don't need!! 

• Like 1

I would recommend waiting until you can get a printing coupon code.  Staples and Office Depot have 25% off printing sales all the time.  (You can call ask them when their next sale will probably be.)  You do not need to order online.  You can download the pdf onto a thumb drive and take it into the store and have them upload it directly in the store.  You can discuss options and costs with them.

FWIW, I have a handful of printed copies still available.  

• 3 months later...

I started 2 yahoo groups.  One is Motherly Reflections.  This group is for moms to ask questions, share ideas, and inspire each other to be better teachers. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/motherly_reflections/info

The other is Student Treasures.   This group is for kids to share their stories, drawings, and ideas.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Student_Treasures/info

The first group is restricted.  I am planning on making the student group private.  For now I am leaving it restricted.   I will move it to private in a couple of weeks.

I hope these loops will benefit moms and children.   :001_smile:

I was wondering if these Yahoo groups are still active? According to the group page, it looks like the last activity in Motherly Reflections was in February, and I just had my request to join rejected because it hadn't been approved within two weeks. (I'm planning on using it in the fall, so I was hoping to get some insight into how others were using it, and see if there were any tips or tricks I should know going in to it.) If they're not, is there someplace else (besides this thread :)) where people are talking about it? Thanks!