Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

Twilight Woods I'm glad you had another print option.

Hjffkj are you waiting for the download link?

No I found it. Apparently my browser was not up to date so before I updated there was no actual link where it appeared there should have been.

• Like 1

Just picked up my copy of the teacher's manual from Staples and noticed that there is something wrong with the way it printed.  In pages 9-67, there are random ? inserted for the characters to the point that I cannot read some of the words.  In the other pages, it is fine.  When I look at the teacher's manual on my computer, it does not have these.  I know nothing about these things, but it seems that Staples did something odd when printing it.  Before I go address this with them, I wanted to hear if anyone else had this experience or if anyone knows why this might happen. 

Example:  page 22 - Quick Review!  The past fe? ?eeks you have studied proper nouns?common nouns?nouns as sub?ects?and action verbs. 

This is exactly as it appears on my printed page except the question marks have a box around them. 

Any insight?  I know nothing about these sorts of things...obviously! 

Just picked up my copy of the teacher's manual from Staples and noticed that there is something wrong with the way it printed. In pages 9-67, there are random ? inserted for the characters to the point that I cannot read some of the words. In the other pages, it is fine. When I look at the teacher's manual on my computer, it does not have these. I know nothing about these things, but it seems that Staples did something odd when printing it. Before I go address this with them, I wanted to hear if anyone else had this experience or if anyone knows why this might happen.

Example: page 22 - Quick Review! The past fe? ?eeks you have studied proper nouns?common nouns?nouns as sub?ects?and action verbs.

This is exactly as it appears on my printed page except the question marks have a box around them.

Any insight? I know nothing about these sorts of things...obviously!

I would guess that the formatting didn't transfer properly on their end. Maybe they didn't view it in adobe like 8 said it needed to be view in.

Just picked up my copy of the teacher's manual from Staples and noticed that there is something wrong with the way it printed.  In pages 9-67, there are random ? inserted for the characters to the point that I cannot read some of the words.  In the other pages, it is fine.  When I look at the teacher's manual on my computer, it does not have these.  I know nothing about these things, but it seems that Staples did something odd when printing it.  Before I go address this with them, I wanted to hear if anyone else had this experience or if anyone knows why this might happen. 

Example:  page 22 - Quick Review!  The past fe? ?eeks you have studied proper nouns?common nouns?nouns as sub?ects?and action verbs. 

Mine has the same issue through out the book to the point it is unusable b/c you can't read it. Lots of little squares, questions marks etc. But when I printed a page out on my printer it printed fine..... 

I wonder if the problem was with Staples and their upload.  There is absolutely nothing like that in any of our copies or our pdfs.  It sounds like there might have been an error in their system.  I would contact their printing dept.  I have printed up multiple work copies for editing as I have been working on the book b/c I cannot find errors on the screen and need to do edits with print.   In all of my working copies I have never had anything like that happen.   It really sounds like a system error.   If you uploaded via the internet, you might take the pdf in on a thumb drive so they can see that they problem is on their end.

ETA:  my dh had a good suggestion.  He said to re-upload it on to their system and go to those pages in the preview.   (That all takes place before the actual submit for purchase so you should be able to see what is occurring.)

• Like 3

Okay, I just tried it 2 separate times with a downloaded version from the Treasured Conversations store.  I previewed the print TM pages 9-67 and both times the preview was clean.  They most definitely need to replace those pages for you b/c they have done something on their end when they converted for print.

• Like 1

I will be going up there tomorrow and asking for them to redo it.  I will probably take my computer and show them what it looks like on my screen.    I don't expect any issues.  Clearly the fault is on their end.

I am headed back there tomorrow as well. I wont be able to bring my computer but I will show them a printed page from my printer. I wonder if they will be able to access my print order with the uploaded file as I do not have a thumb drive. 

• Like 2

Regarding the question marks in boxes, it's likely because the printer they used doesn't support/recognize certain characters/letters in the font. It can sometimes happen when you create something on a PC, and then open and print it on a Mac.  Anyway, it should be easy for them to set the printer settings in a way to reprint it.

• Like 1

Regarding the question marks in boxes, it's likely because the printer they used doesn't support/recognize certain characters/letters in the font. It can sometimes happen when you create something on a PC, and then open and print it on a Mac.  Anyway, it should be easy for them to set the printer settings in a way to reprint it.

I found it so odd that only about a third of the pages were like this, though.  The rest were fine.  And they didn't proof it, I don't think, or it would have been obvious even by glancing through quickly.

• Like 1

I think I was number 150 early this morning. I was going to wait until next year, but I couldn't! I'm reading through the teacher's book today and really enjoying it. I think that I may try to do just the first section with Dd this year, and see how that goes. If all goes well, we can do the second and third sections in her third grade year, and really take our time with it.

• Like 2

Ok, planning to purchase later today...is this set up so it would be easy for us to start in the middle of the year, go as far as we get and pick it up next year to finish? Also if dd will have done Fable and narrative 1 before then does TC, would the best move to be to go back to CAP after? Or? Thanks!

Ok, planning to purchase later today...is this set up so it would be easy for us to start in the middle of the year, go as far as we get and pick it up next year to finish? Also if dd will have done Fable and narrative 1 before then does TC, would the best move to be to go back to CAP after? Or? Thanks!

Yes, you can get as far as you get, stop, and pick back up.  The sections make good stopping points - you could stop after section 1, or section 2, and pick back up after a break, no problem.  The early parts of section 2 review grammar, so that would be a good break point (between 1 & 2).  

And yes, IMO, picking back up with CAP will be fine, wherever you are at. The programs are compatible but not redundant.

Went to Staples and showed them the weird characters.  The lady said they don't have the most up to date computer.  What???  It is a copy center of a major nationwide chain, but so be it.  I took my laptop in and sent the PDF via email.  I looked at it with the lady, and it was flawless so she is reprinting it. 

I say all of this to explain the situation for those who may encounter similar issues with trying to get it printed.  It is not the program.  It is the store.

• Like 5

Went to Staples and showed them the weird characters.  The lady said they don't have the most up to date computer.  What???  It is a copy center of a major nationwide chain, but so be it.  I took my laptop in and sent the PDF via email.  I looked at it with the lady, and it was flawless so she is reprinting it. 

I say all of this to explain the situation for those who may encounter similar issues with trying to get it printed.  It is not the program.  It is the store.

let me know how the reprint went. I am going tomorrow. DId they have to update anything to reprint it?

Talked back and forth with the Staples copy people today, and the teacher's manual printed just fine in single-sided but the weird characters came back when they tried the double-sided copies.  So I told her to use the single-sided, only it will need to be split into two bindings because they don't have a spiral binding big enough to hold the single-sided copy. 

Weird.

I can't find anything online. Did you see this in-store, or do you have a code?

Office Depot (who is/has merged with Office Max - although they are still running separate stores) has a 25% off printing. I haven't seen anything like this from Office Max (who sends me promotional emails all the time).

• Like 1

My Staples was not able to figure out the double sided so I got stuck with single sided. I will make it work.

That amazes me. It's a little worrying the one of the biggest chains for printing can't handle printing double sided. Staples is my go to store. Maybe I need to find and Office Depot....or visit the base library and get five pages printed at a time for free. ;)

• Like 2

That amazes me. It's a little worrying the one of the biggest chains for printing can't handle printing double sided. Staples is my go to store. Maybe I need to find and Office Depot....or visit the base library and get five pages printed at a time for free. ;)

I was surprised, too!

I can't find anything online. Did you see this in-store, or do you have a code?

Sorry, I am just seeing this. I should have posted the codes.

Thanks, 8! 

Office Depot (who is/has merged with Office Max - although they are still running separate stores) has a 25% off printing. I haven't seen anything like this from Office Max (who sends me promotional emails all the time).

Huh, I didn't know that. See 8's post above for the codes. Do you know know what Office Max's default paper weight is? I think I found it: 20#.

Do you know know what Office Max's default paper weight is? 

Default is 20#. Looks pretty easy to change to 24# white. 

I priced Office Max for 24# white paper, B/W double sided, black coil-bound, front page "exception" to 80# bright white paper & an 80# white back cover for $25.74 before coupon/taxes/etc.

• Like 1

Printed out the first section since that is likely all my nephew will be ready for this year.  I still have to gauge where he is but I have a good idea that we'll be moving through things very slowly for a while.  For now it'll be hole punched and put in a binder.  I'll have the whole thing bound once our finances aren't so tight

We did the first day too today!  Simple and easy!  I don't know how fast/slow we're going to move through it since Dd is only in second grade.  We won't be doing it every day, and we're just going to take our time.  I did notice a huge difference in how well she did with copywork today as opposed to last year.  Maybe she just wasn't ready last year...

She liked the first copywork sentence (about the squirrel)!  

• Like 2

Lesson 11, Day 2, skipped first section (we're just beginning AG) so that we can focus on topic sentences and writing paragraphs. Clever of 8 to continue the story line about Anthony and the secret passage since I can see DD is excited about continuing the story. But she really wants the "rest of the story."

What I like so far is that it is incremental with the ease of combining a few days together for a kid who is able to write more. That's why we are on lesson 11 as opposed to lesson 9.

• Like 1

We started with Lesson 1 today, doing days 1-3 (since the copywork was short those days). Doing the "<common noun> his the <common noun>" type oral sentences. This kid needs stuff like that to get creative and stop freezing during writing when asked to do something simple. ;) He had fun with it.

We also practiced the letter 'r' several times, so it doesn't look like a 'v'. :lol:

• Like 1