Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

Just got mine (Office Depot is Too Far Away for me to try to drive, so I chose the 'delivery' option). It is beautiful with the options Heart listed. The only 'problem' is they sent me two.  :lol:  (Only charged me for one.) I thought they split it into two, but both are exactly the same. Weird stuff. I want to start next week, but we'll probably wait until September. Gives me more time to soak in Heart's teaching method.  :001_tt1:

This is so beautiful!  So beautiful book.  We did MCt Paragraph Town up thru Lesson 11.  The rest of the lessons seem so daunting for me.  I needed something else.  I neeeded something like this book to help me last year.  Is it too late to use?  Because of your complex sentences to teach grammar, it may not be.

Ds (11) is a natural writer and just wrote and published a book.  Last year we officially started writing paragraph but were not able to write alot of different stuff.  I was looking and looking for something to do before doing MCT -Essay Voyage and possibly Writing with skill (I own).  I settled on CAP - Fable (w/ only the 3 samples) --> Narrative 1 (complete program - I bought it already- will use fast-paced) and then take a break before finishing the year with CAP - Narrative 2 before starting WWS in Fall 2015.  Maybe do CAP -Book 4 before WWS?  Maybe that is a bit much. 

Now, I don't know how to fit your book in.  It is sooooooooooo beautiful.  Did I tell you already?  I feel like your book is like the AOPS of Writing that everyone wants to find. :)

I want to meet you and hear you talk at a convention! :seeya:

• Like 5

Just got mine (Office Depot is Too Far Away for me to try to drive, so I chose the 'delivery' option). It is beautiful with the options Heart listed. The only 'problem' is they sent me two. :lol: (Only charged me for one.) I thought they split it into two, but both are exactly the same. Weird stuff. I want to start next week, but we'll probably wait until September. Gives me more time to soak in Heart's teaching method. :001_tt1:

I had mine printed at Office Depot too, but had the reverse experience. Got one book and they charged me twice! Called and they were very apologetic and are crediting me back the second charge.

I am halfway through reading TC and I think it will be a good fit for my Dd. We will go quickly through the first section because she has a firm grip on the grammar already, thanks to FLL. I love the stories! Can't wait to see how my Dd finishes Anthony's adventure!

Just finished Day Three and things are going well! We never finished WWE 1 or FLL 2, but I think this is working just fine for Dd. She really does like your sentences! She used Bushy in some sentences she made up today.

I think for Ds I will start WWE1 when he turns six, start WWE 2 and FLL 2 when he turns seven, and then start TC at eight. I have WWE 1& 2 and FLL 1 & 2 already. He's advanced, but not as much as Dd. I probably shouldn't make these plans so far in advance, but I can't help myself...

Joan in Geneva just sent me information that helped me immensely. ( http://export.gov/fta/ if you are curious.)

It looks like we should be able to sell the first 2 sections of the book to Canada, England, and Australia almost immediately.  (I need to create a pdf w/o the third sections)   Tax laws and copyright laws are the main issues.   The third section is the only section with anything that was not completely original in creation.  

Maybe by Monday night.  

Thank you!

Thank you!

Any chance NZ can get lumped in with Australia?

Just read some more. Don't worry about it. Ds7 doesn't go into 3rd until next Feb and I want to get through EiW3 by then.

It is a pity he has to write a two page research report NOW though. I really don't see this as being appropriate for just turned 7 year olds. I wish we could swap low maths and high writing, with low writing and high maths expectations.

• Like 2

Joining the party with #223... Can't wait to start reading it... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

We are part of the "MCT Paragraph Town + TC + maybe some more W&R later this year club".   DD would have been starting Narrative 2, but TC fits her needs much better.  Not sure if we will still do Narrative 2 this year or not...we'll see how TC progresses.  MCT is more just for fun/read-aloud.  DD loved Island level last year, and wanted to continue on. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at W&R Chreia (my 7th grader will do a few of the lessons) and thinking about how it fits in with TC.  I think it will be a nice follow-up.  TC will get the student confidently creating single paragraph reports, and Chreia will be a nice, very supported introduction to multi-paragraph writing, where each paragraph's topic is provided in a very structured way.  I think it will be a perfect transition to more independent multi-paragraph writing.

ETA: and it makes me happy! I had thought there was no way she'd be ready for Chreia in 4th grade, but TC helps me understand how to get from here to there! Yay!

• Like 3

Ok, TC just keeps popping back into my head.  I can't tell you all the times that I have gone back and looked at all of the samples and reread the "why" behind the curriculum page just in the last couple of days. I really like everything that I see. However, since I have already purchased all of our curriculum for this year (writing included), I am having a hard time even considering purchasing anything else when money is so tight. (A single momma's income only goes so far)  I am planning on using IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating along with the last couple of lessons in SWI-A that we didn't finish up last year. My son's seems to do well with IEW and his writing has improved. However, there is still this nagging little doubt that there are some holes and we are missing some things with his writing.

Is there anyone that has already purchased TC that has also used IEW? If so, can you please compare the two? Would combining the two work?

Sorry for all of the rambling. It's been a long day at work. 

:iagree:  BUMP! :bigear:

Just wanted to say that my dd loved the first week of the program.  She loves Bushy, and she gladly drew a map for his acorns and wrote a sweet story about it. 

She has done FLL2 and R & S 2, but I am not skipping any of the initial part of TC because I think the review will be good for her and it gives me a chance to adjust to using the program while she is on familiar ground.

I saw a couple people mention they were going to use this in between a couple of the W&R books. My question is are you going to take year off of W&R or are you going to use it at the time as one of them? If so which one?

• Like 1

I saw a couple people mention they were going to use this in between a couple of the W&R books. My question is are you going to take year off of W&R or are you going to use it at the time as one of them? If so which one?

Well, I had planned to use Narrative 3 and Chreia this year before TC came along. After seeing it I decided to do Narrative 3 and TC. I believe we'll be pushing Chreia to next year. As it is we did the first 3 lessons of Narrative 3 and are now doing TC, double speed through the first 8 lessons since they are mostly review. The rest of TC I plan to do as wrote, then we'll finish up Narrative with the rest of the year. I'm not sure about next year tbh. I really like WR but I like the idea of using the framework of TC to do some writing within our subjects. I guess we'll see how it all progresses, it is hard to say for sure at this point as we've only finished 4 lessons of TC so far.

We were going to do N1 and N2 this year before heading to WWS 1 next year. We're still doing both of those but adding in TC.

We school in the summer too so I think we can get them done by next fall. Fingers crossed. If push comes to shove and we can't finish I'll make a decision about whether to finish them or not. I do want to use WTM Academy for WWS 1 so I feel like we will have a hard start date. 

• Like 1

atozmom, on 14 Aug 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:snapback.png

Ok, TC just keeps popping back into my head.  I can't tell you all the times that I have gone back and looked at all of the samples and reread the "why" behind the curriculum page just in the last couple of days. I really like everything that I see. However, since I have already purchased all of our curriculum for this year (writing included), I am having a hard time even considering purchasing anything else when money is so tight. (A single momma's income only goes so far)  I am planning on using IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating along with the last couple of lessons in SWI-A that we didn't finish up last year. My son's seems to do well with IEW and his writing has improved. However, there is still this nagging little doubt that there are some holes and we are missing some things with his writing.

Is there anyone that has already purchased TC that has also used IEW? If so, can you please compare the two? Would combining the two work?

Sorry for all of the rambling. It's been a long day at work.

Anyone???

I don't think there is a wrong answer. I think it depends on your kid's age and stage, and how much writing you want to do any given day/week.  For a 3rd grader, I'd do TC first and then start the CAP sequence, or do them at the same time (i.e. Fable & Narrative 1 alongside TC).  That's what we're doing.  The CAP books are short, 10-14 lessons each, so doing 2-3 in a year, or doing them alongside another program, isn't too much of a challenge.  

I would complete TC before starting Narrative 2, and absolutely before Chreia.  Chreia has kids writing 6-paragraph essays (very structured, but still - a lot of writing).  It would be good to be really solid on single-paragraph writing first!

Anyone???

(I wrote this earlier today and never posted it.  But your latest post prompted me to reply.) I was hoping someone else would respond bc obviously I am not an unbiased responder, and I wanted you to have that neutral perspective for an answer.  Since no one has answered directly and IEW is one of the programs I have actually owned in the past (most of the other programs I am not familiar with at all), I will try my best to give my assessment.  I do not, however, know what IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating is.

My approach to writing is different than IEW's methodology.  I focus on teaching that strong sentences are formed by precise word selection.   Utilizing a precise verb is more effective than a list of adverbs.   I do not teach writing through key word outlines or dress-ups.   Writing is taught through modeling.  Note-taking is taught via narrowed questions. The question being explored drives the notes.

That said, I do not want to imply that children cannot become effective writers by implementing IEW's methods, nor do I want to encourage a family who cannot afford to switch programs to spend $$ unnecessarily.   My goal is to provide parents a completely scaffolded approach to writing which can be easily implemented across curriculum.

• Like 8

I don't think there is a wrong answer. I think it depends on your kid's age and stage, and how much writing you want to do any given day/week. For a 3rd grader, I'd do TC first and then start the CAP sequence, or do them at the same time (i.e. Fable & Narrative 1 alongside TC). That's what we're doing. The CAP books are short, 10-14 lessons each, so doing 2-3 in a year, or doing them alongside another program, isn't too much of a challenge.

I would complete TC before starting Narrative 2, and absolutely before Chreia. Chreia has kids writing 6-paragraph essays (very structured, but still - a lot of writing). It would be good to be really solid on single-paragraph writing first!

This sounds like a good plan. I think we might end up trying this and seeing how it works.

dovrar, on 22 Aug 2014 - 8:45 PM, said:snapback.png

Anyone???

(I wrote this earlier today and never posted it.  But your latest post prompted me to reply.) I was hoping someone else would respond bc obviously I am not an unbiased responder, and I wanted you to have that neutral perspective for an answer.  Since no one has answered directly and IEW is one of the programs I have actually owned in the past (most of the other programs I am not familiar with at all), I will try my best to give my assessment.  I do not, however, know what IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating is.

My approach to writing is different than IEW's methodology.  I focus on teaching that strong sentences are formed by precise word selection.   Utilizing a precise verb is more effective than a list of adverbs.   I do not teach writing through key word outlines or dress-ups.   Writing is taught through modeling.  Note-taking is taught via narrowed questions. The question being explored drives the notes.

That said, I do not want to imply that children cannot become effective writers by implementing IEW's methods, nor do I want to encourage a family who cannot afford to switch programs to spend $$ unnecessarily.   My goal is to provide parents a completely scaffolded approach to writing which can be easily implemented across curriculum.

Homeschooling 21+ yrs, 4 homeschool grads. Blessed with the world's greatest dh, 8 kids (3 sons and 5 daughters), a beautiful d-i-l, and 3 precious grandbabies. This yr I'm teaching 3rd, 7th, and 10th with our 4 yr sponge old twisting everyone around her little finger.

Make sure your words are worth more than your silence.

Treasured Conversations: Writing Instruction through Guided Analysis

A writing curriculum for elementary ages. www.treasuredconversations.com

8FIlltheHeart, thanks so much for being willing to share this with me. I just recently purchased a used copy of IEW SWIA DVDs and Notebook, but I'm not sure if I really want to head down that path or not. The oldest two used Classical Writing through Homer and I am pleased with the results, but I find it emotionally draining as it's always been a bit of a bear for me. I need something simple. So, someone teaching for me via DVD seemed to be the perfect answer. I think my 8 yr old will like having someone other than me to listen to, but my 11 yr. old is the type that really just likes spending time together and really DOES treasure sitting together working through things.

I'm sorry if this is already answered in a previous post, but would you mind telling me a targeted age range for Treasured Conversations?

Thank you so much!

Debbie

Thank you for posting this. 

I did end up buying TC and I am SOOO glad that I did. Yes, it was extra money since I had already bought our curriculum for the year, but it was money WELL spent! (I did purchase IEW used - that took the sting off some..lol)

Having now owned both, I can see how very different they are. I love the approach to TC. It was what I originally wanted in a writing program, but could never find. We may still end up using some of the IEW that I have after we finish TC, but I can see us using it a little differently now. 

Oh, and I thought that we were going to skip the first section seeing as we had already been through most of Winston Grammar last year. However, I like the approach so much, that I decided to go ahead and do it, just moving through a little quicker. Once we get to section 2 we will slow back down and do the lessons as written. I feel like ds is going to have such a strong foundation after we are through with TC this year. 

Thanks again for all of your hard work Karen!!! I am excited to use TC this year. 

8FIlltheHeart, thanks so much for being willing to share this with me. I just recently purchased a used copy of IEW SWIA DVDs and Notebook, but I'm not sure if I really want to head down that path or not. The oldest two used Classical Writing through Homer and I am pleased with the results, but I find it emotionally draining as it's always been a bit of a bear for me. I need something simple. So, someone teaching for me via DVD seemed to be the perfect answer. I think my 8 yr old will like having someone other than me to listen to, but my 11 yr. old is the type that really just likes spending time together and really DOES treasure sitting together working through things.

I'm sorry if this is already answered in a previous post, but would you mind telling me a targeted age range for Treasured Conversations?

Thank you so much!

Debbie

Debbie,

My son will be 11 this year while we are using TC. While I would have loved to have started in sooner with him had it been available, I think it is still a great fit at his age. You could definitely do it with your 8 year old as well. At the end of section 2 it states if you don't think your child is ready to move on to section 3 about simple reports, review the skills learned so far using additional stories. 

• Like 1

Nm

I had to leave the board for just a minute to answer an email and just came back to thank you for your post as well, but then found it gone.

I agree with you that IEW is a great program too. There are many aspects about it that I liked and still do. My ds loves Andrew!   :lol:   We used most of SWI-A last year and his writing did improve greatly. More than anything, I think it built his confidence in his writing ability.  However, I did feel like there was a little something that we were missing and could never put my finger on it. I think for me, that's where TC comes in. My thought process right now will be to go back next year and utilize some of the IEW material that we have after we have completed a year of TC. Not sure that we will use it as intended or switch things up a bit. Just gonna take it one year at a time right now.  :001_smile:

• Like 1

I had to leave the board for just a minute to answer an email and just came back to thank you for your post as well, but then found it gone.

I agree with you that IEW is a great program too. There are many aspects about it that I liked and still do. My ds loves Andrew! :lol: We used most of SWI-A last year and his writing did improve greatly. More than anything, I think it built his confidence in his writing ability. However, I did feel like there was a little something that we were missing and could never put my finger on it. I think for me, that's where TC comes in. My thought process right now will be to go back next year and utilize some of the IEW material that we have after we have completed a year of TC. Not sure that we will use it as intended or switch things up a bit. Just gonna take it one year at a time right now. :001_smile:

Oh ha ha! You said you already went ahead and purchased TC so my post seemed obsolete. I agree with everything you said. IEW did feel like it was missing something and TC seems to fill it. We will do some sort of hybrid in the future too. :)

I started 2 yahoo groups.  One is Motherly Reflections.  This group is for moms to ask questions, share ideas, and inspire each other to be better teachers. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/motherly_reflections/info

The other is Student Treasures.   This group is for kids to share their stories, drawings, and ideas.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Student_Treasures/info

The first group is restricted.  I am planning on making the student group private.  For now I am leaving it restricted.   I will move it to private in a couple of weeks.

I hope these loops will benefit moms and children.   :001_smile:

• Like 6

I would complete TC before starting Narrative 2, and absolutely before Chreia.  Chreia has kids writing 6-paragraph essays (very structured, but still - a lot of writing).  It would be good to be really solid on single-paragraph writing first!

Rose, do you think using Chreia with MCT Essay Voyage would be a good idea?  First do MCT-Voyage and then do CHreia?

I am definitely doing TC this year after we do CAP Narrative 1.  I'm actually doing the grammar of TC first and then move into Narrative 1 with ds (11).  Then finish TC and possible do Nar. 2 or possibly skip it and next year do essays.  That I will wait until next year to decide.

I think that could work. But I actually think I'd do it in the opposite order. Chreia is an introduction to essay writing, but it is very, very structured - you are just writing one type of essay, and you get explicit instruction as to what to cover in each paragraph - kid of how 8Fill/TC suggests that you provide focused topics/main ideas for awhile before expecting your student to choose their own main ideas/topics for writing.  EV is more free-form, exploring the essay as a general form.  I think it would work best after Chreia.  Like all MCT writing, the writing assignments are more wobbly and free form, too.

I also think EV is better with an older child because it has challenging readings - classic essays - that I think most 5th graders won't get the most out of, while a good 5th grade writer could do Chreia.  The whole tone and vocabulary of EV is just a little more advanced, if that makes sense.

I think your son will be plenty old enough be the time you get there if you follow your plan - I just mention the above for others who might read this thread.  I wouldn't do Essay Voyage with a 4th or 5th grader, they will get more out of it later, whereas Chreia is a possibility for a very strong 4th grade writer, but certainly by 5th grade, I think.  

• Like 1

I started 2 yahoo groups.  One is Motherly Reflections.  This group is for moms to ask questions, share ideas, and inspire each other to be better teachers. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/motherly_reflections/info

The other is Student Treasures.   This group is for kids to share their stories, drawings, and ideas.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Student_Treasures/info

The first group is restricted.  I am planning on making the student group private.  For now I am leaving it restricted.   I will move it to private in a couple of weeks.

I hope these loops will benefit moms and children.   :001_smile:

Bumping this for the night crowd.  :)

• Like 2

8, thanks for the response. I have a K'er, so I don't need it quite yet and dh made very well have conniptions if I buy any more curriculum that I won't use for years yet.

That being said, I am curious when people said that the target range is 3rd to 5th grade. I assume you mean skill level rather than age level. Just wondering how people are implementing with accelerated learners.

8, thanks for the response. I have a K'er, so I don't need it quite yet and dh made very well have conniptions if I buy any more curriculum that I won't use for years yet.

That being said, I am curious when people said that the target range is 3rd to 5th grade. I assume you mean skill level rather than age level. Just wondering how people are implementing with accelerated learners.

I could see my current K'er (for whom writing and all things language arts come easily) starting this in 2nd grade, maybe just doing the first 2 sections and saving the 3rd section for 3rd grade.

My other advanced kid was not advanced in the physical act of writing, so 5th grade is working out well for him. ;)

It starts out very simple, but even the copywork amount ramps up quickly for a K/1st grader, imo. My K'er that likes to write can currently copy neatly about 12 words in a sitting. So he'd be fine on days 1 and 2 of week 1, but then day 3 would be about twice what he currently copies neatly. And then when you get to paragraphs, that is a lot of writing for a little kid.

My little guy is using Wheeler's Speller this year. Might continue that until he's ready for TC. He likes it so far. It's just copywork and poetry memorization with some spelling rules thrown in. I'm not in a hurry to get him writing paragraphs. He doesn't need that yet. :)

That being said, I am curious when people said that the target range is 3rd to 5th grade. I assume you mean skill level rather than age level. Just wondering how people are implementing with accelerated learners.

I started a thread to address this on the accelerated learner board. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/524359-treasured-conversations-for-the-accelerated-child/

My dd did the beta-version of Section 1 last year as a 2nd grader.  She also did the first half of Fable, so that's mildly accelerated.  It worked out fine.  I'm not intentionally trying to accelerate her, just to keep her engaged and meet her where she is at.  I decided to hold off on finishing Fable and doing Narrative till we get through at least Section 2 of TC.  I'm glad we didn't try that in 2nd grade, she is much more ready for the focused work and concentration now, as well as having a lot more hand stamina.  

FWIW.

• Like 2

We are doing Section 1 in second grade.  So far so good.  It's definitely the longest copywork she's ever done before, but she's doing well with it.  And she doesn't have much writing in the other subjects this year, so I figure it's OK.  The grammar part of it is still review.  We are on Day 4 of Lesson 2.

Interested in thoughts about how to sequence the following programs because I like something in each and right now can't fathom thinkiing about skipping any of them because there is so much good stuff! Plus TC has now caught my eye from what everyone is saying. I am thinking that perhaps interspersing sections in between some of what I want to do

Right now, we are halfway through WWE1 with plans to follow up with ELtL2.

Which order would you do the following?

WWE2 and 3

IEW - SWI A (I am the least married to this one except I think my kiddo is one of those that will need this as a interim step before becoming comfortable enough to do other writing programs.)
MCT Island and Town

Killgallon Sentance Composing, Story Grammar and Paragraph for Elementary

CAP Writing & Rhetoric series

I don't really have plans to continue on with ELtL at this point since I was looking for something to do before WWE2 and MCT.

• Like 1

Well, I'll take a stab at organizing your list! My caveat is that I am not familiar with IEW so I am just leaving it out . . . no dis to the program, I just don't know anything about it.

2nd grade - WWE2

3rd grade - MCT Island, Treasured Conversations, W&R Fable

4th grade - MCT Town, W&R Narrative 1 & Narrative 2, Start Kilgallon Paragraphs for Elementary School

5th grade - continue with W&R, Chreia and whatever comes next.  If the child is ready, do MCT Voyage, but also it's fine to wait till 6th grade for that.  Start Killgallon Grammar for Middle School

Allow me to 'splain:  You don't need to do all the Killgallon books if you are using W&R, it contains many of the copia/style exercises that Killgallon uses.  However, W&R is light on teaching paragraph consruction, so TC will give you the foundation, and the Kilgallon PfES will reinforce that.

It looks like a lot, but I'm assuming that you are using MCT for grammar and meta-discussions about writing, not for writing assignments.  If it's too much to do TC and Fable in 3rd grade, it's fine to wait till you finish TC to start Fable.  Or you could do parts 1 & 2 of TC, take a break and do Fable, then finish TC in 4th.  Just see how it goes.

The W&R lessons often don't take a full week to do, so you could do a lesson in 3-4 days, then use Killgallon for the rest of the week.  I don't schedule Killgallon, we do it a couple of times a week and just keep going till a book is done, even if it crosses over the grade-level boundary.

Anyway, that's just one way to look at it!  HTH.

• Like 4

My thoughts here on progression:

2nd grade - WWE2 and 1st part of Treasured Conversations (front load this at the beginning of year and continue examination of sentences and discussions on the passages discussed or just introduce one concept every few weeks or so and add that into the mix- I think I prefer the later)

3rd grade - MCT Island, 2nd part of Treasured Conversations and then WR Fable

4th grade - 3rd part of Treasured Conversations and W&R Narrative 1 & Narrative 2

5th grade - MCT Town and WR Chreia and Killgallon Grammar for Middle School

6th grade- MCT Voyage, continue WR and Killgallon

As to what I'm going to do I'm not sure. Dd has actually been doing some of the exercises for TC but just bits. If I can get her reading to take off I'm considering doing The Sentence Family in the second half of the year. We are doing some copywork but I'm planning to add a bit more and add in some bravewriter. I don't believe I'll start TC, WR or MCT until 4th with her.

• Like 3

I have been bookmarking and making Word documents of 8Fill's posts on writing for the past few years...It will be great to finally be able to have her thoughts and writings in a clear way in one volume...I am buying TC on Thursday :laugh: ...We start in September, so I will have to get moving...

• Like 1

Well I decided to buy it and use it with my 5th and 6th graders. I'm hoping to do it at an accelerated pace since they have learned these topics at some level. What I love about this, is that it teaches children to put more thought and care into their writing. Will it be worth it for my 6th grade 12 year old son? Time will tell. I hope I'm not holding him back. My plan was and still is for him to work through WWS series. I'd just like to start the year out with some conversations about how we choose words, and also add to the note taking skills. Current plan is to hopefully complete TC by late winter and start him on WWS. Then I will shore up narrations/dictation with my 5th grader and start her on WWS next fall.

• Like 1

FYI she gives suggestions on how to progress from TC to middle grades, but

oh how I wish I could see something for middle grades in the near futureĂ°Å¸Ëœ

I have been thinking about this.   The biggest issue is dealing with copyrighted materials.  I might write a program on writing essays.  With essays, I could use public domain literature for instructional materials.   

• Like 11