Menu

Treasured Conversations, 8FilltheHeart's new writing program,......

I step away for a little while and come back to this!  :hurray:

Your order number is: 126  

Thanks, 8!  I've been conflicted about what to use with my 3rd grader after Grammar-Land.  Nothing ever "spoke" to me.  Yours does. This is truly God's timing.  I can't wait to get it printed and get started on it!   :D

• Like 2

I made my kids wait on bedtime reading so I could order. #119! :D Now I'm reading through it (AFTER reading two chapters of Tom Sawyer to the kids). LOVE IT. My 5th grader can start Monday. Some of the grammar part will start out really easy for him, but the thinking about sentences and such will be useful. We had a writing "argument" today and could probably use going back a bit and doing some copywork and studying paragraphs step-by-step. :)

• Like 1

I uploaded the TM to FedExOffice to price printing it. I set it up w/Heart's recommendations: covers on 110 lb paper, all the rest with 24 lb paper, black & white, double-sided -- all coil-bound. Came to about $32 before taxes. Just FYI.

I'll update this post when I have a price at OfficeDepot's online site.

Coil bound, Front & back covers 100 lb gloss. Their B/W option is 20lb paper comes to $23.88. Upgrade to 28 lb Laser takes it to $27.18 (same price as Bright 24 lb white). Printing is 25% off right now (automatically applied coupon: 25% Off Print On Demand 92029543), bringing the price back down to $20.67. 

Thank you for this. I had trouble figuring out what options to choose.  But I was able to place my order at OfficeDepot and can't wait for tomorrow to come to pick up my order.  Mine came to $21.93 total with taxes and the 25% discount.  :)

• Like 1

I'm planning to purchase, and am really looking forward to seeing this.

I do have a question.

My boys are going into 5th grade, and we're half way through Narrative I. We're starting MCT Town's grammar.

Given our age and CAP progress, would I pick and choose sections of TC before going to Narrative II? If so, which ones?

If they are totally solid on the grammar in MCT Island, you could skip (or selectively skip) section 1, but section 2 & 3 are all new, not like anything anywhere else.  I mean it.  I like MCT, and I like CAP W&R, but this fills a hole nothing else I've seen does:  How to write paragraphs, and how to read, take notes, and write reports.  

I will have my 3rd grader complete TC before doing Narrative 2.

ETA: I thought aout this overnight, and I realized that the other unique thing in Section 1 is that it is so much more than just using the grammar - it really talks about how to choose specific, vivid words to create the mental picture that you want to.  So even if your kid knows the basic parts of speech, you will find value in the lessons where the kids are choosing specific nouns, verbs, adj, etc. to create or enhance a specific kind of sentence.  I didn't want to make it sound like that if a kid knows the parts of speech, they know everything in Section 1 - there is a lot more there than simple parts of speech lessons.  It is the application of grammar to writing - something I've found wanting in most other grammar programs.  MCT does it at the sentence and paragraph level, but not at the level of individual word choice the way TC does.

• Like 6

I uploaded the TM to FedExOffice to price printing it. I set it up w/Heart's recommendations: covers on 110 lb paper, all the rest with 24 lb paper, black & white, double-sided -- all coil-bound. Came to about $32 before taxes. Just FYI.

OfficeDepot's online site:

Coil bound, Front & back covers 100 lb gloss. Their B/W option is 20lb paper comes to $23.88. Upgrade to 28 lb Laser takes it to $27.18 (same price as Bright 24 lb white). Printing is 25% off right now (automatically applied coupon: 25% Off Print On Demand 92029543), bringing the price back down to $20.67. [Note:  I don't know if it matters or not, but I made an "exception" to the front page & made it the 100 lb gloss paper. Then, I went into some other tab & added the back cover as 100# Glossy Elite or something like that.]

Thanks.  I just ordered mine from Office Depot.  We don't have one in town, but my hubby is out of town this weekend and will pick it up where he's at. :)

• Like 2

If they are totally solid on the grammar in MCT Island, you could skip (or selectively skip) section 1, but section 2 & 3 are all new, not like anything anywhere else.  I mean it.  I like MCT, and I like CAP W&R, but this fills a hole nothing else I've seen does:  How to write paragraphs, and how to read, take notes, and write reports.  

Thank you! I'm downloading now and excited about this curriculum.

• Like 1

#151 this morning!

I'm very excited to use this curriculum. We've already started school this past week so it will be in the lineup on Monday (especially since I am still waiting for some grammar books to arrive--maybe some of those will go back????).

And, it works with Nitro, not just Adobe Reader(I don't have the full version, just the trial/read-only version).  And for those of you who use Adobe--I really prefer Nitro and it's much cheaper if you want to buy pro version.

Thanks 8 for all your hard work!

8--I do have a question that I can ask through the website but it is probably worth asking here too.  On the download page it says:  The download of this file expires in 1 year or 1 more download.   Does that mean it will expire on my computer (like library books do) or does it mean the download on my account on the website will expire?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

8--I do have a question that I can ask through the website but it is probably worth asking here too. On the download page it says: The download of this file expires in 1 year or 1 more download. Does that mean it will expire on my computer (like library books do) or does it mean the download on my account on the website will expire?

Thanks in advance!

It is simply how long you have to download the product.

I'm getting ready to leave in just a sec. I am responsible for a homeschooling during high school talk for my statewide umbrella. My poor audience is about to witness a blurry-eyed, I-can-discuss-this-half-asleep presentation. :p

I won't be home until this afternoon.

• Like 4

If they are totally solid on the grammar in MCT Island, you could skip (or selectively skip) section 1, but section 2 & 3 are all new, not like anything anywhere else. I mean it. I like MCT, and I like CAP W&R, but this fills a hole nothing else I've seen does: How to write paragraphs, and how to read, take notes, and write reports.

ETA: I thought aout this overnight, and I realized that the other unique thing in Section 1 is that it is so much more than just using the grammar - it really talks about how to choose specific, vivid words to create the mental picture that you want to. So even if your kid knows the basic parts of speech, you will find value in the lessons where the kids are choosing specific nouns, verbs, adj, etc. to create or enhance a specific kind of sentence. I didn't want to make it sound like that if a kid knows the parts of speech, they know everything in Section 1 - there is a lot more there than simple parts of speech lessons. It is the application of grammar to writing - something I've found wanting in most other grammar programs. MCT does it at the sentence and paragraph level, but not at the level of individual word choice the way TC does.

I'm going to start my 5th grader at the beginning. Yes, the grammar part will be easy, but I definitely see things in that section that will be helpful as we move forward. And he could also use the copywork (DH commented on his horrible handwriting last night... that was a rough draft of a simple story that he'd written VERY quickly, so yeah, kind of illegible). I love the work she does with choosing words and such.

Haven't gotten to look through the other sections yet, but I'll do that today. We'll start this Monday!

• Like 2

For those who have uploaded to an online site to print, do I just upload it to their website (Staples, FedEx, Office Depot, etc) and then choose a location to pick it up?  I've never done this before.  Is it like when you upload pictures to Snapfish and then choose to have them printed at your local Walgreens? 

• Like 2

My 6th grade daughter is a reluctant writer and for that reason we haven't focused a whole lot on writing. However, this year it's happening. :)  We are using Analytical Grammar, but I'm still looking for THE writing program to use with her. Thoughts?

For those who have uploaded to an online site to print, do I just upload it to their website (Staples, FedEx, Office Depot, etc) and then choose a location to pick it up?  I've never done this before.  Is it like when you upload pictures to Snapfish and then choose to have them printed at your local Walgreens? 

Yes! It's a lovely option! I just used Staples last week for several online print jobs. Their default paperweight is 24 or 28. SO nice! And still less than FedEx & Office Depot. (At least in my case it was.)

• Like 1

Yes! It's a lovely option! I just used Staples last week for several online print jobs. Their default paperweight is 24 or 28. SO nice! And still less than FedEx & Office Depot. (At least in my case it was.)

Thank you!  Staples is close to me so this is a bonus.  :)

• Like 1

How many pages is each part?

The TM is 221 pages. 

The student book is 131 pages, but I see what Heart means about not having to print it all out. At the beginning, it is just the copywork sentence. In the later sections, there will be a paragraph to outline, but the directions say to outline it on a separate piece of paper. So, you can definitely choose which ones you want to print. (We don't have a tablet to view these on, but that would be ideal for the student pages.)

• Like 2

My 6th grade daughter is a reluctant writer and for that reason we haven't focused a whole lot on writing. However, this year it's happening. :)  We are using Analytical Grammar, but I'm still looking for THE writing program to use with her. Thoughts?

If it helps any, I am considering using portions of TC as an adjunct/summer program for my boys, who are both doing 8th grade work.  I think  they would benefit from the explicit instruction while not being overwhelmed, since the program is geared towards younger kids.  They are both doing WWS, and I plan to continue this, but I love the incremental and explicit "feel" of the samples of TC.  I think that both of my boys would benefit from this.

I love Writing Tales and use it with my older elementary kids, but now I am torn because I love the look of TC.  I am now facing a rework of this year's plans with my youngest because of it. 

• Like 2

I have bogged down with all of the options.  Can you walk me through which one you used?  I chose "manuals" and it said it was delivery only, not in store pick up.  Then I chose "presentations", but I'm not sure if this is right.  This is why I like to click and button and have things shipped to me.  I lack mad print ordering skills.  :D

Now I cannot find the download on my computer.  This is how impaired I am.  I promise I am a smart enough person.  Really.  :D  Off to take little dd to a church event and will be back to ask dh to help me find the download.

If you do a Windows search for all files last modified today, it should be easy to find.

• Like 1

Well, I think the heart of the matter is that TC covers skills that are foundational to writing, typically learned in ~3-5th grades.  But if you have a 6th grader who doesn't have these skills down solidly, by all means this program could be appropriate.  The student will need these skills to successfully move on, right?  Perhaps an older student will need less practice, but they still need to be able to do all this stuff.  So go for it if it appeals to you!

As far as content - the sentences and paragraphs are complex and rich - this is not a program with simple sentences that would make an older kid feel talked down to.  OTOH, the stories and sentences are geared toward the younger set, in the sense that they focus on animals, children, etc.  A 12 year old might find the content - not the vocabulary and sentence structure, but the content - to be a little young.  I don't know how to make that call for anyone else's kid, but I just point it out as a possibility.  The program is targeted toward 3rd-5th graders content-wise, although it includes skills that many older students would benefit from.  You will just have to think about whether your particular 6th grader will like to read stories about children, pixie-type little people, and animals having adventures, or whether they will feel like this is too young.

• Like 3

8- 

I sent the file to my local office Depot and they called me and said they would not print it for me b/c of the copyright. Suggestions?

I picked up a partial order of my printed copies a few minutes ago.   I am just as thrilled as you are b/c they look beautiful!  

I wonder if people realize how easy it is to get things printed and bound?  If you save the pdf on your computer and then on to a thumb drive, it is easy.I know through tomorrow our local Office Depot is having 25% off printing.  Staples,etc all off the same sort of service (though the 25% off coupon is significant savings.).  All you need to do is carry in your thumb drive and tell them what you want.

I can share what I learned today.  Yesterday I had printed up a special copy for someone who was very helpful behind the scenes for inspiring me.  Her dd had drawn some artwork and I had a copy printed up with it in it.  I have never printed an entire book before and went with the advice of the person helping me.  I mailed it out this morning and shipping was very reasonable.

But the copies I picked up tonight were prepared by someone else.  Now I feel bad b/c they are so pretty compared to what I had printed yesterday.   The person today printed on 24 lb paper and it made a world of difference in how it looks. I  had no idea how the looks change with different paper.

The cover I chose after trying out a couple of different ones yesterday is 100 lb cardstock.  The cover printed great and I think it was a good choice.

To start off with, I would only print the teacher's book and have it bound. Student pages can be printed up quite easily on a home printer on the days that require them.  (Some days do not require the student to have anything printed.)

FWIW, dh is setting up domestic sales only. He is getting close. :)

I sent the file to my local office Depot and they called me and said they would not print it for me b/c of the copyright. Suggestions?

I'd make sure they saw that the copyright specifically states, "except for personal use by the original purchaser" -- that's you. If they need to see it, perhaps you can offer to show them your receipt (which I printed off from PayPal) that shows you purchased it. When I say, "show them," I mean -- email/fax it to them.

So I got my paypal receipt last night. Should I just wait for the link in my e-mail? How do you know which number is your order?

I just found it under my account at Treasured Conversations. I never received an email from them with the download.

ETA it being the download links for the teacher's manual and the student workbook

• Like 1

I'd make sure they saw that the copyright specifically states, "except for personal use by the original purchaser" -- that's you. If they need to see it, perhaps you can offer to show them your receipt (which I printed off from PayPal) that shows you purchased it. When I say, "show them," I mean -- email/fax it to them.

I did but they stated b/c it states "or by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review" that they will not print the whole book for me without written premission from the author. 

Im slightly PO'd. 

I did but they stated b/c it states "or by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review" that they will not print the whole book for me without written premission from the author.

Im slightly PO'd.

But it's "or"? You're the either. Can you talk to a manager? Do you have another option for printing?

ETA you're the purchaser not a reviewer!

I'm going to start my 5th grader at the beginning. Yes, the grammar part will be easy, but I definitely see things in that section that will be helpful as we move forward. And he could also use the copywork (DH commented on his horrible handwriting last night... that was a rough draft of a simple story that he'd written VERY quickly, so yeah, kind of illegible). I love the work she does with choosing words and such.

Haven't gotten to look through the other sections yet, but I'll do that today. We'll start this Monday!

I will also start my 5th grader at the beginning. It's review for him, but review is good. I'm also thinking it's good for me to practice the conversation part of the program with simpler content so I get the hang of it.

But it's "or"? You're the either. Can you talk to a manager? Do you have another option for printing?

ETA you're the purchaser not a reviewer!

I know. I can't even tell you how many times I explained that and told them they were reading it incorrectly. I sent it to Staples (hoping I have no issues)  and told Office Depot I would not longer send them stuff to print since they can't read a copyright correctly. 

• Like 4

I know. I can't even tell you how many times I explained that and told them they were reading it incorrectly. I sent it to Staples (hoping I have no issues)  and told Office Depot I would not longer send them stuff to print since they can't read a copyright correctly. 

Sounds like they need to use this program! :lol:

• Like 10

Wow. They are dense.  :blink:

I ordered mine and am impatiently waiting to receive it.  I only wish my children were ready for it!  I'll be using it with my nephew whom I am homeschooling this up coming year.

But you'll be an expert by the time you get to your own kids . . . and that gives Heart a chance to write more levels.  :P

• Like 2

Finished reading through, love it! We did MCT Island last year and part one of TC is review. I'll be showing dd9 TC and discussing doing it as written and dropping ELTL or having me incorporate the TC conversations and style with ELTL and our history and science reading. I liked part 1 a lot, but parts 2 and 3 are going to be so helpful to me. Everything is so spelled out with lots of examples. I love that all of the stories are compiled in the back. That will be very handy when choosing new examples to see where we have been length and complexity wise. OT, I wish Dancing Bears would publish the stories as a separate book so we could reread them without flipping through the rest of the pages.

My DD will be a 3rd grader this year. She has had little grammar and we have not start paragraph wriitng... still working on a cohesive complete 1-2 sentences. Reading and writing have been a struggle here. Will this be a good place to start with her? Also I am thinking about having my older child (8th) go through the note taking/outlining sections since she has not been taught this in public school. Thoughts?

I have bogged down with all of the options.  Can you walk me through which one you used?  I chose "manuals" and it said it was delivery only, not in store pick up.  Then I chose "presentations", but I'm not sure if this is right.  This is why I like to click and button and have things shipped to me.  I lack mad print ordering skills.  :D

Sorry, I've been out. Okay, go to Staples, then click Services & select (hover over) Copy & Print. Click on Copies & Documents and finally select B&W/Color Copies. I hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

Well, I think the heart of the matter is that TC covers skills that are foundational to writing, typically learned in ~3-5th grades.  But if you have a 6th grader who doesn't have these skills down solidly, by all means this program could be appropriate.  The student will need these skills to successfully move on, right?  Perhaps an older student will need less practice, but they still need to be able to do all this stuff.  So go for it if it appeals to you!

As far as content - the sentences and paragraphs are complex and rich - this is not a program with simple sentences that would make an older kid feel talked down to.  OTOH, the stories and sentences are geared toward the younger set, in the sense that they focus on animals, children, etc.  A 12 year old might find the content - not the vocabulary and sentence structure, but the content - to be a little young.  I don't know how to make that call for anyone else's kid, but I just point it out as a possibility.  The program is targeted toward 3rd-5th graders content-wise, although it includes skills that many older students would benefit from.  You will just have to think about whether your particular 6th grader will like to read stories about children, pixie-type little people, and animals having adventures, or whether they will feel like this is too young.

Thank you. I so enjoy reading your posts, particularly about writing. I think the content of the stories will be perfect for this daughter. I'm thinking I'll need to purchase. :)

• Like 1

The TM is 221 pages. 

The student book is 131 pages, but I see what Heart means about not having to print it all out. At the beginning, it is just the copywork sentence. In the later sections, there will be a paragraph to outline, but the directions say to outline it on a separate piece of paper. So, you can definitely choose which ones you want to print. (We don't have a tablet to view these on, but that would be ideal for the student pages.)

I have used PDFill (free version) to manipulate pdf books to print. 

ETA: Jay3fer has posted about it here. Search for her posts on PDFill for ideas.