Menu

The WTM bar - come have a virtual drink here and let your hair down!

Sun

I have had a lot of years when I couldn't drink at all. This year, I am off all the medications that preclude drinking and I will start again. (Since after college, I was always a light drinker and I plan to continue that tradition again). Let's see, for my first drink in over ten years- how about a white zinfandel? I used to like that wine.

Well not virtual but for real I am having a Blue Lady, which I found (conveniently) in the Ultimate Book of Cocktails, hanging around with my cookbooks. It's 1 1/2 parts blue curacao, 1/2 part creme de cocoa, 1/2 part heavy cream. All found in my kitchen.

"Sometimes you wanna go

where everybody knows your naaaame"

Can I please be Norm? I like Norm.

After today, and in preparation for my crazy weekend.....bourbon on the rocks, please. Maybe Woodford Reserve.

Sure. go ahead and be Norm.

I'm going to break out the steel drums and the guitars in a moment.

Well not virtual but for real I am having a Blue Lady, which I found (conveniently) in the Ultimate Book of Cocktails, hanging around with my cookbooks. It's 1 1/2 parts blue curacao, 1/2 part creme de cocoa, 1/2 part heavy cream. All found in my kitchen.

I call that a well stocked pantry.

So should I have one of the last of dh's homebrewed IPAs or a Strongbow cider??

Dh is going to Costco tonight to restock our cupboard :D We're out of vodka, Bailey's, Triple Sec, gin, and wine :eek:

As for food, I'm making boneless chicken thighs tossed with Frank's hot sauce and then baked.mi think they count as appetizers. Would anyone like some? We also have some very crusty bread to share.

How do you make this? I am a big fan of the hot Toddy, and buttered rum just sounds divine.
I have never had one and I really want one.
I haven't had this before but it sounds good!!

This is a recipe from The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas.

Attn: This is not diet food and it will get your 'healthy eater' card revoked...I am not to blame! It's all Jeff Smith's fault!

Hot Buttered Rum

serves the neighborhood

1 pound light brown sugar

1 pound confectioners' sugar

1/2 pound (two sticks) butter, room temp

1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly melted

light rum

ground nutmeg for garnish

Mix the first four ingredients together. (cookbook notes using a stand mixer)

To make one drink, put 2 Tablespoons of mixture in a mug. Add one jigger of rum and fill the mug with boiling water. Stir and garnish with nutmeg if desired.

Freeze the mixture for future use.

Still yummy without the rum...but cozier with the rum!

Hmmmm. Was waiting until Christmas Eve for hot buttered rum, thanks to this thread I've made the base... and it's chilling.

If you give Moira spiced butter/brown sugar base, she'll want a mug of hot buttered rum. Stat.

Fact, that.

It is so hot here, real bushfire weather.

So I'll also go a virtual Margarita, while waiting on the cool change.

I had a cocktail night with a good friend last year and had tracked down and saved a stack of rude-named cocktails to try.

I couldn't find where I'd saved them on the computer and it took us ages to find them listed in Mum's File- "Self Education".

Made perfect sence once we found it :lol: .

Dang it I'll up that virtual Margarita and make it a REAL Strongbow.

No rum ball recipes, and the thread is now gone. :( Let me know how the Martha Stewart ones turn out.

The rum bundt cake was a big hit at the party tonight though, and I had one too many hot buttered rums (that would be two). Mmmmmm.

Give me the shot now. We'll walk to swim practice. Just found out my Mom had an apparent seizure today at the nursing home. :blink:
:grouphug:

Since virtual drinks have no actual booze, I'll have a ryecoke please. woke up at 4 freaking am, for no reason. Maybe it would help me go back to bed for a cpl of hrs...

So did anyone come up with a rum ball recipe?

Martha Stewart has one that is basically from-scratch brownies crumbled with rum added and then rolled into balls. I'm thinking of trying it for a christmas party!

I made these yesterday.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/676572

I thought they were pretty decent -- nice and rummy, but the true test will be how they become in a couple of days. This is a nut free recipe because I have a kid who has a nut allergy. Although I guess he shouldn't be eating rumballs, anyhow, huh? I should have gone with the pecans! Sigh. I miss the days when a kid could eat a rumball and nobody thought twice about it. Heck, I made rumballs myself growing up.

Virtual drinks are all I'll get- at the teetotaling relatives for the week.

Dh asked about getting some wine for Christmas eve- you'd have thought he mentioned brewing up meth in the kitchen.

Respect for others rules and all, I get it. But dang, I'd sure like a beer...

I made these yesterday.

I thought they were pretty decent -- nice and rummy, but the true test will be how they become in a couple of days. This is a nut free recipe because I have a kid who has a nut allergy. Although I guess he shouldn't be eating rumballs, anyhow, huh? I should have gone with the pecans! Sigh. I miss the days when a kid could eat a rumball and nobody thought twice about it. Heck, I made rumballs myself growing up.

Ooops...

You know i always ate them growing up too. Hmm. Are you sure we can't give them to kids? Where is the rule?

My Grandma always made a cake at the holidays called a Lane Cake or something like that. She never, ever drank but she loved her lane cake - it was made with both rum and some cheap blackberry wine of MD20/20 quality. It was a really good cake with nuts, dried fruits and a white frosting.

I made these yesterday.

Thanks for the link. I want to make these because they're a childhood memory of eating rum balls at Christmas...I was the only kid who liked them!

Dh asked about getting some wine for Christmas eve- you'd have thought he mentioned brewing up meth in the kitchen.

See, that would totally turn my into a child. I would for sure, be packing a pony bottle of Rolling Rock (or any other beer that comes in a pony), and sneaking it in the car while parked in the driveway...you know under the guise of searching for something that's missing!

If alcohol is truly a disinfectant, as touted by a previous poster, than give me a double appletini, please, so I can get rid of this stupid cold!

Didja hear this on Science Friday a few weeks back?

I wouldn't want the salmonella laced eggnog (and the scientists didn't drink it, even though it tested sterile), but here's the original recipe they've used for 40 years (link on the page above). The bolded just boggles my mind:

DR. REBECCA LANCEFIELD'S EGGNOG

1 dozen eggs

1 quart heavy cream

1 quart light cream

1 pint bourbon

1 quart rum

nutmeg

sugar to taste (1/2 - 3/4 lb)

Beat eggs, add bourbon and rum slowly with stirring to prevent precipitation of egg proteins. Beat heavy cream separately until it peaks and add to the egg/bourbon/rum mix.

Add the light cream with stirring. Add the sugar to taste with mixing (1 pound/batch), then add nutmeg to taste.

Leave standing at least overnight with lid slightly ajar in refrigerator. Serve after 2-3 weeks in the cold.

Bummer! I feel for you.

It's only 3:30 but I want a cranberry martini. I've been wrapping presents and cleaning for the past three hours and I'm ready for a break. Poor dh is sick in bed... maybe he needs a hot toddy.

My hair is really short, but I guess since this is virtual, I'll let it down. There, it's down.

By the way, that eggnog in the fridge for three weeks recipe is FRIGHTENING. Gross!

My sweet husband came home from church and not only made lunch for me but made a Cosmo for me too! :)

I'm seriously considering asking him to take me to one of the local restaurants later for that appletini. I am SO done with this virus!

I don't know about the appletini...maybe you need something citrus-y for the Vitamin C? I think a margarita made with real lime would be the perfect thing!

DH and I will be drinking screwdrivers tomorrow morning. It is all I can do to deny myself a practice run right now!

I am hiding in my office. I finished wrapping gifts nearly an hour ago, but I need a longer break from DS. He was up at 5:15; DH told him to go back to bed, but he got right up as soon as DH left for work and continued playing with the Legos he got yesterday at MIL's. So I got up at 5:30 and told DS, "it's not even dawn yet on Christmas Eve. Is this really how you want to start the day?" :glare: It's going to be a loooooong one.....