Menu

Without looking in the dictionary,

ETA: Alright, y'all want a laugh? I'd only heard of the drink-offering sense of the word. Dh & I wrote a song together (cc) about how one's life could be a libation, comparing it to King David spilling sweet water before the Lord, to Mary pouring out the expensive perfume on Jesus' feet, to Jesus' own spilling of his blood.

Fil listened to the whole song w/ a crazy look on his face, then remembered the drink-offering sense of the word. Apparently "alcoholic beverage" is the more common use of the term. He told dh & me that most people would either not understand our song or--worse--MISunderstand it. LOL

what do you think "libation" means? Don't read the other responses--just reply.

Fil & I are...debating something. LOL

Edited by Aubrey

Didn't read the other replies, didn't look it up...

I believe it means 'drink', and I think it's used ofthen to refer to alcoholic drinks, tho I'm not sure the actual defintion limits the usage to just alcoholic drinks.

Off to look it up and read the rest of the replies...:tongue_smilie:

ETA: Alright, y'all want a laugh? I'd only heard of the drink-offering sense of the word. Dh & I wrote a song together (cc) about how one's life could be a libation, comparing it to King David spilling sweet water before the Lord, to Mary pouring out the expensive perfume on Jesus' feet, to Jesus' own spilling of his blood.

Fil listened to the whole song w/ a crazy look on his face, then remembered the drink-offering sense of the word. Apparently "alcoholic beverage" is the more common use of the term. He told dh & me that most people would either not understand our song or--worse--MISunderstand it. LOL

Fil & I are...debating something. LOL

Libation = alcoholic drink, in my understanding, especially WRT the ancient Greek/Roman gods.

Libation means an offering to a deity of a beverage or sometimes other liquids (like oil). At least, that's how all the Druids I worship with would use it. We give Hestia a libation of oil at the beginning of rites because she comes first and last and is at the center of all things. We give the mischievous nature spirit outsiders a libation of ale in the hopes that they'll leave our rites alone. I'm not sure I've ever heard it in a non-religious context.

I have only heard this word wrt a poured-out offering. I didn't know it was used in the vernacular at all.

Then again, I don't drink alcohol, and most of my associates don't drink either, so I wouldn't normally be hanging out with those who would use libation in reference to an alcoholic beverage.