Menu

Could you homeschool next year with things you already have on hand?

sunflowerlady

I have enjoyed all the threads about homeschooling without spending a lot of money.:) Lately I have been thinking that many of us have numerous items on hand that we have picked up here or there that sit on shelves. I began to think that I could homeschool next year with things on hand and not have to buy much. Of course, I probably will buy some things, but this is just a hypothetical exercise. Money is tight and I am reassuring myself that I can still homeschool without a lot of cash outlay. (Or running up the credit card.:D)

So what could you put together as curriculum for the upcoming year using items on hand ?

I will start. This would be for my dd who will be going into fifth grade.

I could use my Rod and Staff English handbook and make homemade grammar lessons based on it.

I could use Story Starters by Karen Andreola.

I could use Christian Liberty Nature Reader book 5 for science and add in written summaries, drawings and nature study.

I have two American History books on hand that I could use. One is America's Providential History and one is A History of the United States and It's People. ( I am planning to start a four year world history study, not US history, but if I had to , I could do US history instead with these books.

I could use my set of "Lands and Peoples" reference books for world geography study, and perhaps some outlining.

I could use the Saxon math 6/5 book that I picked up at the library book sale for fifty cents. :) I do need an answer key, but I suppose I could make do without one and figure out the answers myself.

I also have other books on hand , especially for science. I have "Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation" and " It Couldn't Just Happen."

These are all materials I have on hand that we have never really used.:001_huh:

So, what could you put together with what you have? :bigear:

I have been contemplating the same question! I think I could by...

1. Finishing ALL of SOTW 3 (which may take us in to next academic year)

2. Finally use "Exploring Creation with Astronomy" by Fulbright (I had even purchased the experiment materials and have them on hand)

3. Crack open and use (beyond chapter 1) - A Child's Geography - maybe instead of SOTW 4, which I'm finding is too mature for my little ones

4. Read the many great books in our personal collection and county library

5. Keep on FLL and WWE, which I know we won't finish this academic year

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I could probably homeschool my two students for several years with what I have on hand.

A full shelf of various science books, resources and kits.

A full shelf of math books (although not texts), resources and manipulatives.

All four volumes of SOTW and AGs, and several shelves of history books (readers, biographies, illustrated timelines.

Enough Latin books to carry us through high school, even if one or two don't work out.

Tons of English reference books; these would need to be adapted to their level but have all the info I need.

Geography: a few project books, a few reference books, dry erase maps.

About a shelf of teacher resource and idea books, covering various subjects and overall stuff.

I really like to compare things, and pull from various resources, so I buy many things used. The library sale always nets me twenty or so books, ranging from fifty cents to two dollars for the most part. The Scholastic $1 sale always has one or two good teacher resources.

((and, this isn't even considering the books I store for my local hs group!))

I think I could hs my 4th-7th grader, not my high schooler. I'd also have to supplement a bit with free printable worksheets and use my library card a lot. I'm glad I can buy the stuff I want though. I feel we're more thorough when I can buy resources that fit us better. Still, it's nice to know we could hs without buying anything for the youngers.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I could probably homeschool my two students for several years with what I have on hand.

Yep. In fact, I think all I need is math for grades 3-4 and I could homeschool my kids for the next four years without buying more. :blush:

But, ssshhhh! Don't tell DH! :lol:

I have already homeschooled 3 kids through to the finish and kept all of my stuff because I had another one coming up. My husband is a structural engineer and that whole trickle down thing is affecting his future - there just aren't any construction jobs starting up and his office is laying off people. So, with the idea that we may not have any income for awhile if he gets layed off, I have been making sure all of the gaps are filled in and I can homeschool as long as I need to without spending any more money. And our potential source of income short term would be the money I make teaching other peoples kids. I have also been stocking up our food supplies...:(

Yes I could since I've already purchased everything for next year. ;)

With a few exceptions which will soon be purchased, same here. And it did not go on a credit card. :D

But talking hypotheticaly, if I really had to I could use the Library and make it work. I wouldn't love it but it is a possibility.

Heather

Edited by siloam

I have more than enough books to teach all 4 kids for years I'm sure. We've got books for all 4 years of history, English reference books, tons of science books and kits, math manipulatives, geography books, etc. Also quite a few Waldorf books on how to teach the various subjects throughout the grades.

I also have a complete set of Math textbooks that my SIL sent from India that will cover us through highschool (they're very similar to Singapore Math) and whatever else needed I would likely download from NCERT Books. Those are all of India's textbooks, available to download free online. Most are available in English and all are colorful, interesting and of high quality. They're definitely doing something right in India because DH and all his sisters are the most well-educated people I've ever met - the quality of education there is much higher than in the U.S., so I would feel quite confident using the material!

ALmost.....

But not really for the grades i have next year - K5 and 8th. I could limp the 8th grader along in most areas, but i would at least need her Science text.

My K5'er needs about everything - i have nothing left from the one before her because nothing was working so i sold it.

But i have everything for the middle child!

Now, if i truly had to do it for "nothing" and not what i have planned - i could do it, but it wouldn't be easy. I'd borrow the money to buy a few things.

I absolutely could if I was willing to do it not exactly how I want. But even given that, I am working hard to only buy with money made from selling what I already have. It's a promise I made to DH to help ease the spending. The one expense that will come from additional money will be my rising 9th grader's online CW Herodotus course.

Aside from that - we aren't spending any additional money beyond what selling curriculum can bring in.

Heather

I could homeschool through high school with books I bought before I even had children or planned to homeschool!

I have 3 shelves full of old readers, spellers, and grammars, and a Latin book from the 1800's. I also have more recent books I bought before children for Spanish, German, and Russian, and a book called "High School Subjects Self Taught."

I have homeschool materials I've purchased for math through 2nd grade, and history and art through high school. I would have to make my own math for 3rd to 7th grade (Algebra starts in the High School book, hopefully we will be doing Algebra in 8th grade.)

I also have a whole shelf full of phonics and spelling books for my phonics tutoring (again, purchased before I even had children!)

We also have shelves full of classics, history books, Operations Research type math, Differential Equations, Statistics, and Physics.

We could actually homeschool through college in History, Poly Sci, Ops Research, or Industrial Engineering with books we have on hand, and a year or two of college level Physics.

Our last packers said, "lots of books, no TV...hmmm"

(We do watch movies on our computer, we have a big screen on the computer in the living room.)

As others have said, I could do it, but where's the fun in that?

Umm, yes.:001_huh:

Grammar: I have most of the old VIEs.

Literature: Yes, all the way to college.

Spelling: Spelling power

Writing: I have WWE but no workbooks, and CW Aesop but no workbooks, so I could make this work.

Math: a problem. I really need Saxon 65. I do have some math games and Miquon that might last a year in a pinch.

Science: I have a science encyclopedia and various books, plus the library.

Latin: Maybe we would finally finish LC1.

Social Studies: I bought early and started early, and we will go through next year with what I have. To be completely honest, I have all sorts of other stuff too, and can go to high school without blinking.

Should this be more embarrassing? I swear I make the rounds of the used curriculum circuit and library book sales, so I don't have quite the monetary investment that this looks like on paper.

Edited by Asenik
forgot some!

I could do a lot of it.

My rising 6th grader would need a math program, science kits for hands-on, and some logic-stage history resources.

All my other students would need would be science kits for some hands-on, and some Progeny Press guides for my rising 3rd grader.

However, I'm glad we have the extra $$ to use curriculum that fits each child. The math and LA curricula I have on hand is fine for my rising 3rd grader, but wouldn't fit my rising 6th and 2nd graders quite as well. I may use some of the things with my twins, who will be in K, if the curriculum I've picked out for them ends up not being a good fit.

I do like to reuse curriculum as much as possible, though. Next year my 4 younger students will be using science resources I bought for (and used with) their older sister. All I had to get were some supplies for experiments. I'm also reusing some history resources (since this will be our second time studying the medieval, renaissance, and reformation). I am having to get some new things as well, since my oldest student needs more than just what I have on hand (and there is no library available here).

Blessings,

Laura

This year instead of spending money on things that I really wanted to use I bought some things because I thought we could "make do". Most of them didn't work for us. I've decided that there is no point in wasting money buying materials that I/we don't like because they won't get used.

The things I have on hand we have used in the past or I bought them and didn't like them and don't use. If we had to (say, a disaster of some sort that changed life for everyone in this country/the world so that the state had far bigger worries than how I was educating my children and college were no longer an option but survival was) I have enough on hand to educate my children more than sufficiently. I buy materials for my older dd and try to adapt them to fit the needs of my younger. Sometimes I think that isn't really fair to the younger though since older dd gets almost all of the new stuff. Somehow, opening those storage boxes just doesn't have the same excitement as getting new boxes from the UPS guy.

No.

Oldest and middle dc will be taking Spanish 2 and we don't have the books yet. Oldest ds will be taking math and probably English Comp at the CC and that will require books. Oldest ds's umbrella requires that he take Southern History thorugh them and we haven't bought the materials. He also needs economics and a science credit and we own nothing.

Other than the Spanish and a chemistry kit I may could get away with not buying anything else for the middle ds, but I want to buy him things for US History and English.

I began homeschooling when the middle ds was in 3rd grade, so we do not own much for the little man except math. I do have Saxon through 87.

Mandy

Other than math and a high school level science curriculum, I could homeschool both of my children atleast to and possibly through high school. I've started to buy what I call "one book wonders" - Spelling Power, Writing With Ease, The Writer's Jungle, grammar and spelling handbooks - things I could use over multiple years if I needed to. In fact, I thought I should start a thread and ask for suggestions for other "one book wonders."

I could easily, as I have already graduated two and have several choices on my shelves for Latin, Science, Grammar, Writing, Spelling, Art, Music, History and a home library full of great books and teacher helps.

There are always things I want for the next year. I buy curriculum like some women buy shoes.

I already bought most everything for next year, but I could probably do the year after it with what we have now:

RS C for math (bought it with level B because it had a lot of the recommended items for B and we happened to have the funds)

Galloping the Globe (assuming we take 2 years to work through the book, instead of 1) and Five in a Row as a spine, plus lots of library books and suggestions from WTM

FLL level 2

lots of park days for PE and my ancient (okay maybe not ancient, but old enough) music books for piano

I'd have to come up with a writing program - probably based on WWE level 1 with some dictation, and spelling since it may not take us a whole year to get through AAS level 1 and I bought levels 1 and 2. We would just have to practice reading a lot instead of doing an actual curriculum, but Ariel seems to pick up a lot of the rules as she reads. It's a good thing my library card is free!

. . . I've already bought most of next year's stuff. So, the easy answer is "yes."

But I'll try to play fair. If I hadn't already bought and discovered I couldn't do so, I could certainly make do with what we already have on hand.

History: We'd continue using the history atlas as a base and read selections from the assorted books I have on the shelf and/or find things at the library. If I had to cancel the Netflix subscription, we'd get documentaries from the library, too.

Literature: We'd draw from our own over-stuffed bookshelves and/or hit the library. If I were worried about more structure, I'd use some of the guides available for free online.

English/Grammar: I was already planning to use a copy of Painless Grammar that I bought for $1 on a bargain table three years ago.

Math: We'd go ahead with the Florida Virtual School class as planned. That's free to us as Florida residents.

Science: Ditto. We're already planning to use an FLVS class for science next year. If I couldn't spend money, I'd skip the extra kits I'm planning on and scrounge for hands-on stuff with household items.

Spanish: We're planning to continue with The Learnables, but I intend to supplement with the first half of a copy of Learn Spanish the Fast and Fun Way that I have left over from my daughter. If I couldn't buy The Learnables, we'd use the Barron's book as the base and supplement with whatever I could scrounge online.

Latin/Greek: I'd have to do some research on these, but I'm sure I could pull together enough to get us through the year.

Art History: Again, I'm recycling materials for these, anyway. If I didn't have those, we'd work with library and online resources.

I think that would do it.

I need to get some stuff for high school- the next math (either Saxon Alg. II or CD Geo), as well as Omni III. I also want to get the new MP Latin.

I'll need math for my rising 4th grader. Otherwise we could definitely go with what we have, though I totally love curriculum researching, comparing, shopping :001_smile:

I just need to buy math and that is all for next year.

I have science and history on my shelf through 4th grade. I plan to buy writing and grammar for 3rd and 4th, but I could probably get along without buying it.

I am set with handwriting (StartWrite) and spelling (HTTS) (and can include vocabulary with that) all the way through.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I probably could wing it pretty well improvising, adding a little more for the older, simplyfying for the younger. We'd be ok except for the older kid's math.

This subject actually has been on my mind lately as money is tight around here right now. The prospect of buying curriculum doesn't seem fun like it usually does.

BTW: I am looking for MCP Math level D Teacher's and Student's books if anyone has them.:001_smile: I posted on the WTB, but no answers so far. Send a PM if you have these to sell.

Is it OK if I play?

I am looking at what I have on hand and taking out the rotation of History.

Grammar- I would go through my copy of R&s 3rd grade as we have not finished it. I also have Simply Grammar and half a book of Easy Grammar left. But I would prefer to use the fourth level of FFL, as the previous two have been an amazing addition to our hs.

Math-All on hand for three years...but I would have to get creative with the workbooks as they have been used up by oldest child. My middle would survive though...he is just the type.

Writing- Yes, with IEW, it is all good.

Spelling- Yep. I have two years of AAS and SWR as a fall back.

Science- Dh is a scientist so I'm good on that one too. But we have many science books to look over again and some unused experiments with Noeo.

Bible- Well, I'm sure we can do that one without much help.

Latin- English from the Roots up would take us far. I still have PL for my little ones.

Geography- No. We do not have a good atlas yet and I link it too much to History. I would flounder here.

I'm with the What-is-the-fun-of-that people. I like to have interesting things on hand to look over and peak our interest. :blushing: I am also worried about the small hs businesses that have served us faithfully all these years. It would give terrible hardship to them if we all just stopped buying.

ETA: I'm happy to do my tiny part of keeping the hs businesses afloat.;)

Edited by Once

Yes! This year I only needed to buy new Language Arts books and a few science resources and I used what I had for the rest of it. It's working great for us! I've been able to use things I've had or been given so I feel better about not just keeping things on the shelves and not using them and not being wasteful. This is a time for us to be good stewards of what we have and just make it work!

I have to be feeling kind of desperate to go shopping for clothes and shoes, but I love buying books and curriculum.

:D Finally, women I can relate to!

This was our first year homeschooling and I really don't think I could do next year with what I have on hand. I have started buying already and the library and internet are great, but my ds will be in 7th grade and I still need a pre-algebra program... if only I could stick with a decision on which one it is going to be! :001_smile:

Debbie

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I am also worried about the small hs businesses that have served us faithfully all these years. It would give terrible hardship to them if we all just stopped buying.

:iagree: I have mixed feelings. I feel guilty when I spend money because so many people aren't able right now. However, I feel guilty if I don't because how are businesses going to stay afloat in this economy if goods aren't purchased?

:iagree: I have mixed feelings. I feel guilty when I spend money because so many people aren't able right now. However, I feel guilty if I don't because how are businesses going to stay afloat in this economy if goods aren't purchased?

Yes, there are difficult decisions to make during these heartbreaking times, I feel the guilt as well. My thoughts go out to both sides of the story. I am hoping next school year this will all be a distant memory.

Hmmm, I need 10th grade math and 10th grade science, unless I can find that on the internet or the library. I have tons of books and the library. I would just need new crayons, colored pencils, tape, glue, and computer paper every so often.

Now thinking about it, Tom will be done Latina Christiana 1 early next year so I will probably need #2. I do have German here and am sure I could find online foreign language if I needed to.

Now you have me thinking...off to the basement. ;)

If I stretched a few things then I mostly could. That's partly because Hobbes is reusing a lot of things that Calvin used before. The only things that I'd really be missing would be a maths text for Calvin, a French text for both and a Greek text for Hobbes. I could start Hobbes on Latin instead of continuing with the Greek if I needed to, as I already have that text. The English materials I have for Hobbes are a bit boring, but with a little imagination on my part they would do.

Laura