Menu

Could you homeschool next year with things you already have on hand?

sunflowerlady

go searching in my curriculum closet and yes, not only would I have enough to homeschool next year without purchasing a thing, I would probably have enough to homeschool for a few years.

I have Mastering Mathematics

I have Life of Fred Fractions, Decimals, and Algebra

I have Lial's Basic College Math

I have Math Relief Algebra 1

So I think I have math covered up until Algebra and even introductory geometry...

I have a few old english texts and lots of english writing and reading materials. I have lots of older texts that I've downloaded on english, grammar, and spelling.

I have a few american history texts...

I have geography curriculum (highschool), Powerglide Spanish, and an extra biology program that someone passed down to me.

So this, the internet and the library would have me covered for some time.

But I don't want to! :)

Blessings!

Dee

ps this was fun! and the hunting made me find a few things I didn't even know I had.

I have the 3R's covered through 2-4th grade, mostly.

I have all of the miquon books, and we use page protector/erasable marker with them. I *could* get by with just that for math through 3rd grade. I also have the Rightstart games (just splurged:D), and the SM TB's through 2A....the WB's are minimal $.

For LA, I have SWR, WWE (textbook), and Startwrite.

Add weekly trips to the library and we are doing well.:001_smile:

I could probably homeschool for the next 20 years with what I have "on hand." BUT...I just can't help buying some new stuff every few months. It keeps me excited and keeps me going BUT...in a pinch, i wouldn't have to buy another book...ever again...

I would need to buy paper and ink though...

Faithe

If I *had* to, I could. Not too hard with the oldest only going into first. If I couldn't buy anything for next year, here is what I would use that we either already have or is free to obtain:

Math: Saxon 2/Saxon 3, depending on how far we got.

Reading: Library books, books we have

Phonics: Finish up ETC

Spelling: Compile my own lists

Grammar: FLL

Science: Otter's Science online (free)

Social Studies: SOTW 1

Health: Use health book/activities we already have.

Art: Atelier 2/3, Draw-Write-Now, Draw Squad

Music: Teach piano to the kids

PE: Join the $5/child HS soccer league (okay, not free, but only $5/kid)

Character Education/Filling gapsleft in other subjects: KONOS

Spanish: Get FIL (Chilean) to teach the kids Spanish instead of a program

I could manage with just printer ink, paper, and a library card... and I am so very glad I don't have to! I actually manage to borrow, buy used, etc., as much as possible, but I would really miss Singapore math and all of our museum classes if I couldn't pay for anything on top of what we already have.

:iagree: I have mixed feelings. I feel guilty when I spend money because so many people aren't able right now. However, I feel guilty if I don't because how are businesses going to stay afloat in this economy if goods aren't purchased?

This is what I'm struggling with too. DH's company just announced a pay cut and I believe another round of lay offs are around the corner. I feel the need to save money, but I also want to support the homeschool curriculum community. What to do? What to do?

I already own enough history materials to cover every grade through 8. I didn't buy anything for history this year. History is my favorite subject to plan. I use multiple sources. It's almost like I have 3 spines, plus I have back issues of Calliope and a few collections of short biographies, some videos and access to numerous dvds at the library. If I let it happen, studying history could completely take over. I didn't like history before I started to homeschool. After I read TWTM, I got a direction on history and ran with it. I've learned a lot over the years, because of TWTM.

I have math materials. I don't have units D, E, and F of VT, but we could probably proceed with a math course without continuing VT. I have WriteShop and definitely won't be done with it. I could get novels from the library or even find a few on our shelves. Last year after buying the two big ticket items (Writeshop and VT) off ebay I decided I have to save some money so I grabbed novels off our bookshelves and found free study guides on the internet. I don't know what I'd do about grammar, but I have vocabulary materials to continue. Science would be a problem.

if I did Unit studies (we have a few sitting around, Sonlight guides too) ...but that's not my style,really. Also I do think I could make free internet materials work, but then I'd have to pay for all of that ink. :glare:

:D

If I had more time, I'd love to make up my own curriculum using books we have, Ruth Beechick style!

Edited by lovemykids

I have a friend loaning me Sonlight Core 3 for my oldest and I have FIAR vol 1 and 2 for my youngest. I also have science I could use if I made up my own curriculum plans. I would need Math and English, but maybe even English we could do on our own. I was Re-reading TWTM, and it really makes me reflect on whether or not I need a bunch of LA programs, or whether I could do it on my own:001_unsure: Art and Spanish I will TOTALLY need to buy. Those are not things I can do on my own:D

I could for 8th grade and under, and maybe even for most 9th and 10th graders, but not for next year for my two high school students (11th and 12th grade).

Dd going into 11th is always ahead, so I need Latin, Math, Spanish, and Science for her. :tongue_smilie:

Ds is going into 12th, and I need Spanish, Math, and Electives of some sort for him.

But for the younger crew....not a problem, but I will still get some new things as I see what works or doesn't for each student. ;)