Menu

What brand of toilet paper do you buy?

Good golly, just think of the dioxins in the production of chlorine-bleached toilet paper ~ just so Americans can wipe with ultra-white paper. Ridiculous! I buy Seventh Generation by the case, btw. Why? Because it's made from recycled paper and avoids the aforementioned problem as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Guest Trish in GA

We have been getting the large boxes of POM at Sam's Club since it seems to last a lot longer than equivalent amounts of other brands. However, we just had our septic tank pumped and were told that most brands that claim to be septic safe are really not. They recommended Scott brand so we are planning to try that.

Thanks

Trish

Edited by Trish in GA

Apparently one of my fellow late-nighters doesn't care for my toilet paper contribution since I just earned some bad rep. But wouldn't the accompanying anon comment "walk softly" make more sense if it suggested..."wipe softly"?:D:D:D

I saw the one star rating and had to see if it was because you had posted, Colleen. Sure enough.

We use the Marathon brand from Costco. Although I prefer that each roll wasn't individually wrapped, at least it is in paper rather than plastic like the Costco brand.

I saw the one star rating and had to see if it was because you had posted, Colleen. Sure enough.

We use the Marathon brand from Costco. Although I prefer that each roll wasn't individually wrapped, at least it is in paper rather than plastic like the Costco brand.

I didn't give the star but maybe it wasn't that she posted but rather the snarky WAY she posted. Everyone has opinions, you know? Wanna hear mine? I actually like white TP. :D

Wow, I didn't expect so many different opinions! I'm surprised at how many people mentioned Scott TP. The only experiences I've had with Scott, reminded me of sandpaper. ;)

That's what I was thinking as well. :D

Another Northern user - double rolls.....biggest package available....

Regena

This is what I prefer. Unfortunately, we're broke right now and had to buy some cheap, store brand TP.

Sigh... I can't wait until we have a steady paycheck again. :tongue_smilie:

P.S. - I can't believe I just read through a 7 page thread about toilet paper... and even contributed to it. I need to get up and vaccuum or something... :D

I've bought Charmin Ultra for years and love it. A couple of weeks ago we discovered this house we've leased-with-option-to-buy is a septic tank! Yuck! I would never have guessed this great neighborhood was on tanks! HUGE affect on whether we decide to buy at the end of this.

So...now we use Angel Soft and I really don't like it but it's "best" for septic tanks.

I didn't give the star but maybe it wasn't that she posted but rather the snarky WAY she posted. Everyone has opinions, you know? Wanna hear mine? I actually like white TP. :D

I think snarkiness is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't take it as snarky, it just sounded like frustration to me.

I think it's less the system and more how hard your toilets flush. Our toilets in North Carolina were *awful*, they were *always* getting clogged. I hated them!

We do have the low water use toilets, but our septic system is only ten years old so perhaps it is doing well or is a good model or something...I don't really know. It has never clogged up in any way, though we do have three times a year checks by a professional on it. It's funny because we have four toilets and three are just fine but one always gets clogged. I have told the kids not to use that one for solid waste. :D

Good golly, just think of the dioxins in the production of chlorine-bleached toilet paper ~ just so Americans can wipe with ultra-white paper. Ridiculous! I buy Seventh Generation by the case, btw. Why? Because it's made from recycled paper and avoids the aforementioned problem as well.

How very timely that this thread was resurrected. I just learned yesterday about paper production, from my son who is doing some research for a paper on the life of a product:

http://www.nrdc.org/land/forests/gtissue.asp#facial

And I also just learned about dioxins from this video, The Story of Stuff. It's long, but worth a watch, even if you disagree with some of the politics:

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

I use Seventh Generation. Before we switched to recycled, I used to like Quilted Northern.

I absolutely detest Scott (too thin and stiff) and Charmin (other extreme and leaves little pilly things all over - yuk!) - I just never seem to go for the popular choices :tongue_smilie:. Or, maybe I'm Goldilocks! Too hard - too soft - just right! :D

I think it's less the system and more how hard your toilets flush. Our toilets in North Carolina were *awful*, they were *always* getting clogged. I hated them!

I just had all my toilets snaked and he said there was no clogs (we use Charmin and I was concerned that my dds were flush tampons even though I have lectured them not too) but he fixed the toilet so that there was more water per flush so that it would flush stronger and therefore work better. Hopefully that will help. Honestly plumming has been one of the biggest issues since we moved into this house.

We buy the Aldi brand toilet paper. They have 2 different kinds and so I get the one-ply in double rolls. It lasts the longest and works well, not super soft though.

I didn't know Aldi had a single ply. The only single ply I can get where I am is Scott's. If I buy 2-ply we end up with clogged toilets.:glare: I may have to venture to Aldi's. It's far from me, but I do pass it on some travels.