Menu

I hope this isn't political! What do you think of what Mrs. Obama is wearing?

Do you like what she has chosen to wear for the inaugural ceremonies today? I think she is always a bit "off." Not horribly so, but there is always something I think isn't quite right. I don't think the gold is the most flattering color for her, and I have issues with wearing brocade during the day. It seems more like an evening fabric to me, but maybe this is a Southern bias.

What do you think?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, i'll say it outloud - it's is not flattering on her, color wise OR otherwise ;)

Not at all. The shot of her giving Laura Bush a hug - that isn't the view i'd want to be recorded for all time.

And that is IT with the color, i was trying to figure out what wasn't working about that for me. It is more of an evening wear type of color/material.

but that suit looks *green* to me. And I have to agree, the cut is not flattering for her. And the fabric.... well, she looks like she's ready to attend an evening wedding.

She definitely has a sense of style, but, as some of you have pointed out, it seems to me to be a bit "off." Can't put my finger on it, but it seems to lack a final layer of finesse.

Actually, I thought Mrs. Bush looks quite elegant. I think Mrs. Obama looks good but to sparkly for the daytime.

Yeah, the main problem with Mrs. Obama's dress is that it's not suitable for a daytime function. Whereas Mrs. Bush's outfit was perfectly-suited to both the time and event. Anyway, Laura Bush always looks classy. She's a class act all the way around.

maybe I am in a charitable mood, because I thought Laura Bush looked wonderful (she always does, in my opinion) and that Aretha looked awesome. I don't know another soul who could get away with that hat, but it was darling on her.

I agree! LOL No one but Aretha could get a way with wearing that hat!

Her dress looked green on my tv. I thought it looked like she wasn't warm at all. All the other ladies were dressed for the weather, I felt she dressed for the event. Ah, the right word is impractical. I thought her outfit was impractical compared to the others. I also loved Aretha Franklin's hat. Laura Bush looked great because she always comes off so gracious. It's her manner. IMHO.

I was surprised at Michelle's outfit (I agree that it seemed like evening-wedding-wear), but thought she looked beautiful! I enjoy seeing someone who will wear what they like in spite of prevailing opinion. I always think she's striking.

And her girls are just beautiful -- I loved, loved, loved their color-coordinated outfits. They must have been thrilled to get dressed today!

No one has mentioned Hilary's pants and coat combo. She looked waaaaaay too casual, in my opinion.

The outfit is stunning, but it doesn't fit her well. She's heavy in the hips and tummy, and she needs to choose designs that will accomodate that. The dress she's wearing today is more suitable for someone with a lean, straighter figure.

The green shoes just don't look right with the dress. Her outfit looks yellow-gold, and her shoes are green. She should have matched her shoes more carefully.

It is much better than the black and red number she wore on the night of the election.

I think she looks good in the dress.

ITA.

I saw that dress later on someone else, and I think it wasn't properly tailored for her. I hated it.

I actually liked today's quite a lot...much more than what Jill Biden was wearing, for example.

It is much better than the black and red number she wore on the night of the election.

I think she looks good in the dress.

ITA.

I saw that dress later on someone else, and I think it wasn't properly tailored for her. I hated it.

I actually liked today's quite a lot...much more than what Jill Biden was wearing, for example.

I'll be the odd one out here. I love what she is wearing! Much prettier than what Laura Bush is wearing, and sooo much classier than what Dr. Biden is wearing, ICK!

My thoughts exactly. It's gorgeous; I think the fabric is perfect for an OUTDOOR, WINTER event. Just lovely. The girls' coats are adorable too.

Astrid

I'll be the odd one out here. I love what she is wearing! Much prettier than what Laura Bush is wearing, and sooo much classier than what Dr. Biden is wearing, ICK!

My thoughts exactly. It's gorgeous; I think the fabric is perfect for an OUTDOOR, WINTER event. Just lovely. The girls' coats are adorable too.

Astrid

It really didn't strike me as all that bad. I obviously couldn't pull off a gold outfit...but I have fair skin. Heck, kudos to anyone who can wear gold and still look good. I think Michelle Obama looked nice. :) (And for the record, I didn't even vote for Obama, so I am not just biased or something).

:iagree:

When I first saw her in that outfit I thought "ugh" because of the color. But then I realized that it complimented her skin tone and hair very nicely. If I wore that with my pasty Irish complexion I would look like I was very sick, but she can pull it off. On the other hand, if she had worn that pale gray that Mrs. Bush wore she would have looked horrible.

It was, perhaps, a glitzier dress than was best for that time of day. But I wonder how she was advised about it? Where I live, a dress like that and a hat like Ms. Franklin's are just normal Sunday church clothes for many African American women. (Not that particular hat with that dress, of course!)

:iagree:

It was, perhaps, a glitzier dress than was best for that time of day. But I wonder how she was advised about it? Where I live, a dress like that and a hat like Ms. Franklin's are just normal Sunday church clothes for many African American women. (Not that particular hat with that dress, of course!)

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I'm sure my Mother has a dress very similar to Ms. Obama's that she regularly wears to Sunday Morning Services. I've visited her church a few times and brocade, shine, and even sequins make an appearance regularly.

I can't speak for all, but down here in the South, African American women really "do church" if you know what I mean, LOL.

I had to go look at the dress after all your posts. I thought it made her look fat and the color was appalling. The fabric was not suitable for day wear. And as usual, Laura Bush was the epitome of charm and class. I hope Mrs. Obama gets some help in the wardrobe department!

Well, all she needs to do is come here to the WTM boards and I'm sure everyone would be glad to help!!:lol::lol:

The outfit is stunning, but it doesn't fit her well. She's heavy in the hips and tummy, and she needs to choose designs that will accomodate that. The dress she's wearing today is more suitable for someone with a lean, straighter figure.

That's what I thought. It is better for her figure than the election night black/red, though. I didn't like that dress at all. She'd do better with light colors on top and darker colors on the bottom or sleeves that have more going on to balance out her wider lower half.

Remember how Scarlett O'Hara made a dress out of her curtains? IMO, it looked like Michelle made her dress out of the couch. She looked like she was wearing a sofa. ;)

She's a beautiful woman, and I've yet to see her wear a stunner. I have high hopes for tonight's gown. We'll see!!!

p.s. what was up with the green grinch gloves? blech.