Menu

What's your absolute favorite cookbook?

I have a bunch of cookbooks, but they're...well.....YAWN! LOL Maybe I'm just tired of the same old same old, and I need a change.

Speaking of cooking, does anyone else think it would be nice to have a recipe board here? I know we have the other site (don't remember what it is...), but I think it would be *really* convenient to have a recipe board right here.

My worn-out favorite is The New Basics by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins. It's a book from the 80s, but I've used it until it was falling apart. I also like the books by the Barefoot Contessa. But if you really want good recipes, pick up a copy of Cooks Illustrated at your bookstore. I've never had a recipe fail from Cooks Illustrated.

Good Luck!

I've never made anything bad form there. They do all the failing first. I think they make every recipe like 30 times befor ethey get it just right. You can also subscribe to their website archieves and get all their old recipes as well. Alos, they test equipment, and I like that they recommend professional stuff as well as stuff for the every day cook.

Good Food Gourmet - Jane Brody (I have a 1990 edition, not sure if it's been updated - published by Norton!)

and

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook - Beth Hensperger

Of course, the Better Homes and Gardens "New Cookbook" I received back in the '80s is pretty battered from use - but I don't use that to get new ideas.

I used to subscribe to Cooking Light, and have collected quite a few recipes from there - I always mean to pick up one of their yearbooks, but haven't yet.

HTH!

Well, my favorite isn't available commercially. My grandmother's side of the family put together a cookbook that included recipes from all 8 of the sisters plus their descendents. And let me tell you, they are all fabulous cooks! It is my go to cookbook whenever I need a recipe. I tend to use the cookbooks put together buy organizations like local Welcome Wagon and church groups.

My favorite cookbook by far, is The Joy of Cooking. Not the oldest version, but not the latest version either. I'm too lazy to go look, but I've had it for probably 8 years or so and it looks like it's been used everyday. I have not made ONE recipe out of there that my whole family didn't like, and it also helped this non-cook learn to a.) love cooking and b.) techniques I never would have known.

My favorite is Flatbreads and Flavors, and if you saw my copy, you'd know it. I like the authors' other cookbooks too, especially HomeBaking and Seductions of Rice. They all have a wide variety of interesting recipes and good instructions. And the later cookbooks especially have amazing photos. They have a new one on China coming out in a few months.

More with Less and Fix It and Forget It cook books. More with Less has many money saving recipes like homemade pancake mix or all purpose baking mix (like bisquick) and a white sauce recipe. Fix it and Forget It is for the crock pot and that saves me a lot of time. It also has inexpensive recipes for all sorts of dishes. Both are great for busy moms!

The New Best Recipe - from the writers of Cooks Illustrated. fantastic cookbook that not only has literally "the best" version of classic recipes, but an explanation of how they tweaked each recipe to get it perfect. Interesting to just sit & read.

Joy of Cooking - same edition mentioned above, I think.:rolleyes:

Southern Living Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites

130 suppers - Several of the recipes make a larger quantity and the recipe on the next page is an easy way to use those leftovers.

Each two page spread is a recipe on the left and a color photo on the right. It has a grocery list on the very left edge of the page with a category for staples to check and then ingredients to get.

This is a new cookbook for me - my SIL gave it to me, but I have had success with everything I have tried so far and my SIL gives this as gift to all her mom friends because it is fabulous.

I love the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. Excellent recipes that turn out right the first time. My second fav is the Southern Living Cookbook. Yum! Than a French cookbook I found in France. Ooo la la...

After that are the cookbooks created by organizations...churches, women's groups and such. Those are usually tried, tested, and tasty.

Our family has done a small cookbook, too. We keep adding to it and it grows more precious over the years.

LOL! We obtained a beef heart last year and were wondering what we could do with it. My dh's grandmother had the Woman's Day encyclopedias. Many recipes for liver, kidneys, heart. We never did eat it. I just could not believe there were so many recipes.

We had a beef heart too but we disected it - then the kids were too grossed out to eat it!:eek:

'Bethan's Online Cookbook' written and illustrated by a home educated English girl in France. The recipes are simple and written for a child to follow. They are vegetarian and frugal but taste fantastic. They are also a pleasure to make. I really recommend the 'Hot Cross Buns'. They are a Good Friday tradition in England and were an absolute favourite with my wonderful, late, father-in-law who was born in 1922 and knew how things should taste!

Our children love the 'Tanzanian Potato Balls'.

Oh, and don't miss the 'Almond and Raspberry Tart'. Everyone loves this!

http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/

I have a bunch of cookbooks, but they're...well.....YAWN! LOL Maybe I'm just tired of the same old same old, and I need a change.

Speaking of cooking, does anyone else think it would be nice to have a recipe board here? I know we have the other site (don't remember what it is...), but I think it would be *really* convenient to have a recipe board right here.

My favorite cookbooks are those published by women's organizations (service clubs, church guilds, Navy officers' wives, etc.). I've collected them for 30 years, and turn to them again and again when I want tried and true recipes.

Oh, I have one!!! Saving Dinner! I have used it for a couple years now, and I love it because it comes with weekly shopping lists, simple side dish ideas, and because the meals are restaurant-quality for my gourmet-loving dh. I have my dinners planned out for me and a ready-made shopping list!

Saving Dinner Low Carb has also helped me shed 40 pounds, and taught me how to cook more healthy.

My all time fave is the Vegetarian Epicure, all 3 books. I borrow lots of books from the library, too. Lately, the ones I've found most useful are Jamie Oliver's. Simple ingredients, fresh flavours, lots of variety.