Menu

Do you know your blood type?

Do you know your blood type?  

1. 1. Do you know your blood type?

• Yes, I do know my blood type.
    • No, I don't know my blood type.
    • other (please explain!)

I found out when we tested our blood in immunology lab in college.

If you want to find out your blood type, they have the blood typing cards at Home Science Tools. Of course, you have to poke your finger to get the blood out to put on the card.

Edited by EKS

I checked other. I once knew my blood type. We did the tests in anatomy in high school. I think I was A+, but I just can't remember for certain.

Now, oldest ds was going to go give blood the other day just so they would tell him what his blood type is. His dog tags say A+, but some of his other paperwork says O-. He wants to know for sure and especially have his dog tags correct. I was shocked to hear about this. He said a lot of the paperwork gets fudged. I am no longer shocked. Now I'm pissed. That's a pretty danged important bit of information to "fudge" on! He also said the information about his thalassemia minor never got recorded by the recruiter. I sat in that man's office and told him about that and asked him to be sure it was put in ds' medical records. It should not have kept him out of the Marines, but it may make a difference if he is injured and needs a transfusion. (I don't know for sure, but neither does the recruiter.) He promised me he would put that in the paperwork. Of course they also screwed up some other paperwork twice which may or may not have cost ds a promotion to lance corporal upon graduating.:glare: Okay, rant over. Probably not the place for it. Sorry for the threadjack, but I felt the need to get it off my chest.

I grew up in a military family and we lived overseas for several years so we had to have lots of blood tests and shots before we went over. I guess that's a military thing, because I remember comparing blood types with all of my little friends as a small girl. We all knew ours.

I found out when I got pregnant. I am A+ (or was it AB+... hmmm). I know for certain there is an A and a + in there. I have it on a record around here somewhere from when I traveled late in my pregnancy with DD and they wanted me to carry around a mini history in case something happened.

Well, in keeping with having the 2nd or 3rd rarest type... I'm the first to list AB+

I did a test in 8th grade science class. Everyone thought it "had" to be wrong (more genetics/probability issues). But, it was later confirmed when I donated blood -- and again when I got pregnant with my first child.

No doubt about it, I'm AB+

I know my oldest is B+ -- but none of my others have been tested yet.

Yep, my dd is AB+ and we did her test 3 times just to be sure.

I do think many women learn their blood type during pregnancy, so as you said, this may not be the best sampling of the "general population". My blood type (standard O+) became imprinted on my brain back when I was young. I had a bleeding disorder that was first identified as von Willebrand's disease. This stemmed from blood-clotting problem I had which created issues when I had surgery. Over the years, it was diagnosed differently but I have never really none exactly what the problem is. It played a role in the troubles I had when I was pregnant with Kai and unfortunately prevents me from being a blood donor.

LOL, maybe asking a bunch of moms was not the best "general population" poll!

Most of you seem to know from pregnancy.

I didn't know there were blood typing kits you could do at home. Sounds like an experiment we need to do!

Thanks!

I didn't know until I was 26 weeks pregnant and went in for my check up and the nurse very casually said it was time for my Rhogam shot...I about flipped out.

Dh didn't know his until that time either...we tested his to try to avoid me having the shot...

I have happy blood: B+ :D

I found out w/ the Eldon cards [i got them for about $5 a piece, but not from HST--it was from a midwifery site....moon dragon or something like that....] and it was confirmed when i donated. I also had the kids tested when they were born at home --easy access to their blood then, lol! But i don't remember what they are-- the cards are filed away.

A- here, and dh is O+ so we have had to watch over all the pregnancies and miscarriages for the Rhogam requirements. The dc are a real mix of the A and O + and -. I told the girls that they should pre-screen their beaus to avoid the hassle, but eldest dd has married an opposite and has to have Rhogam shots, too. Giving blood will get you a free typing :) That said, dd, 14, has been told by the phlebotomist not to give blood and to save her veins for herself.

Edited by AnnetteB

Yes, we did this in high school biology as well. I, personally, wasn't squeamish about doing it, but then... well... when the teacher pricked my finger with the little needle-thing, he... well... he accidentally hit a very small capillary, and blood shot out of my finger, splashed his lab coat, the desk, the chalk board, everything. I mean, the blood was practically spraying all around the room -- and all right after the teacher had exasperatedly admonished the girls in the room for being squeamish about it. Like, he'd just finished saying: "Oh, now come on! It's just a little pin prick! Grow up already!" and then he poked me with the thing and BAM! Blood Everywhere! People were backing away, girls were screaming, the whole bit. Seriously -- we could have been a John Hughes film right then and there, it was so surreal and funny.

It took quite some time to get everyone calmed down enough to continue the testing. And everyone else's fingers cooperated nicely. One little poke with the needle-thing, and a itty-bitty drop of blood would appear and they'd dab it on a slide and find their blood type.

I never did get my blood type that day. There was too much blood. It kept smearing all over the glass slide and we couldn't get a good sample. The teacher told me finally that I could be excused for the day and sent me to the nurse for a bandaid.

I found out later in the day that I was the Talk Of The School all day. By the time the final bell rang, everyone was talking about the Girl Who Spouted Gory Amounts Of Blood All Over The Biology Lab.

Ah... high school.

Years later, when being treated for anemia, I found out I was O+.

:)

Edited by RegularMom