Menu

Could you live like this scenario

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

What kind of unique considerations do you have in the US that are different than living rural anywhere else in the world?

I don't know, but when you bring up parking fees, biking, and public transportation as considerations for a rural resident, it suggests you aren't familiar with how things are in rural US.

I don't think people "have to have" a gazillion cars, but there aren't big reasons not to have an old extra vehicle sitting on one's property in rural US.  I'll defer to the other thread at this point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:03 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

The reason I ask is that we most likely will inherit dh’s parents house and the is is the situation. Dh says he’d move straight in. I say floors and windows first. He thinks I’m a bit of a diva or whatever to insist on these things being done. 

And to answer the question about subfloor. It is plywood and it is still subfloor because it was a DIY house that never got finished.

And the windows? They got them used and for whatever reason they sealed them shut I guess? I really don’t remember the details of this. I will have dh take a look to see what is up with that. All I remember is that you cannot open them.

Given this information, I would insist on at least one window in each room to open for safety reasons.   I would talk to DH about maybe finishing part of the flooring before moving in?   I would think that if you get one or two rooms done, it would be easier to move things around to those rooms for the remaining floors to get finished.   

I would also insist on keeping most of my non-essential furniture in a storage unit until the flooring is complete, even if I moved in first, just because furniture is heavy and a pain to move around.

But if you can inherit a house free and clear that would be awesome!

• Like 2

What kind of unique considerations do you have in the US that are different than living rural anywhere else in the world? I'm understanding that many thing are far cheaper regarding owning and operating vehicles. Are there other hardships that make it a requirement to own many vehicles?

I've never lived in rural US, but I have lived in rural Canada and Norway, and have many relatives living rurally in both those countries. In Norway, the roads in the winter are unbelieveably challenging to drive on, and yet very few people drive pick-up trucks (as in none that I saw). Far too expensive and unnecessary. Put good winter tires on (studded is what they need on the ice and snow).

In Canada there are many more rural people driving trucks, but also many driving smaller vehicles. Our gas, insurance, etc. is much more expensive than what people in this thread are describing for the US. Our vehicles are more expensive to purchase (tax is high), and the weather conditions in most of Canada are very hard on vehicles forcing us to have to replace them more often. 

When you mentioned cycling, car pooling, and public transportation (for 5 kids, no less) it did leave me wondering if you’ve ever lived rurally where these are not options at all. I have these options in the city where I live now, but growing up in the country there was no public transportation. I don’t even get how it’s possible to cycle with five kids, on unpaved roads, and bring home milk and eggs. Carpooling implies extra room for passengers and that doesn’t work in large families. 

• Like 5

On 7/16/2024 at 2:54 PM, freesia said:

Really? Is that common where you live? Even the apartments I lived in had little windows that opened. I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone whose windows don’t open. Was it on purpose? I really curious about this. ( For reference, my US places have been Mass, NY, DC and Ohio) 

ETA:Pennsylvania, too!

Many homes in FL have windows that have horizontal panes of glass that you crank open. There is no way a person could go in or out those windows and they would be harder to break because of the additional framing. Idk if they have different laws there or not and if so why.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

When you mentioned cycling, car pooling, and public transportation (for 5 kids, no less) it did leave me wondering if you’ve ever lived rurally where these are not options at all. I have these options in the city where I live now, but growing up in the country there was no public transportation. I don’t even get how it’s possible to cycle with five kids, on unpaved roads, and bring home milk and eggs. Carpooling implies extra room for passengers and that doesn’t work in large families. 

The visual. 😂 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Many homes in FL have windows that have horizontal panes of glass that you crank open. There is no way a person could go in or out those windows and they would be harder to break because of the additional framing. Idk if they have different laws there or not and if so why.

I’ve seen those in FL . That’s a good question.

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don’t even get how it’s possible to cycle with five kids, on unpaved roads, and bring home milk and eggs.

I've seen photos of a woman in Portland, OR (so, not rural, and paved roads) who has (or had, it was a long time ago)  a special bike which carries her and her 5, 6? kids, with presumably room for some cargo.  

That is of course a bit  unusual and not feasible for most people. I mean, she was in the news at the time because it was unusual. 

Certainly this would not be useful or safe for country roads, etc.  (I question that its safe anywhere)

Sorry for adding to the distraction but the post brought this to mind. 

ETA: I'm not suggesting anyone try this! (In case it's not clear, I don't think it's a viable alternative.)

Edited by marbel

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

I've seen photos of a woman in Portland, OR (so, not rural, and paved roads) who has (or had, it was a long time ago)  a special bike which carries her and her 5, 6? kids, with presumably room for some cargo.  

That is of course a bit  unusual and not feasible for most people. I mean, she was in the news at the time because it was unusual. 

Certainly this would not be useful or safe for country roads, etc.  (I question that its safe anywhere)

Sorry for adding to the distraction but the post brought this to mind. 

My husband has seen a whole family on a motorcycle in the Middle East, but I’m not about to try anything like that.

• Like 4

Back to the original question…..no I would not move in to a home like that unless it was my only choice out of the elements.  If I already have a home, no way I am leaving it to move into a home with plywood floors….especially with 5 kids.  
If I am understanding  the problem correctly it is that 1) the Dh thinks @Elizabeth86 is being a diva for wanting floors installed and 2)He will insist on doing it himself which means it will take a long time.

I would die on this hill.  And if he chooses to continue insisting on doing everything himself while commuting 100 miles each way to work every day then I guess he will go years not moving to the inherited home. Which ultimately will cost him more money because he will be paying taxes and insurance and utilities on two homes for a long time.  

The windows I feel differently about….they would be easier to replace after you move in. As far as safety little kids can’t open windows in case of fire anyway.  

And I totally get that he is an all around great man with a few maddening quirks…..I think a lot of us have this kind of husband.  My husband also won’t hire things done….at age 57 he finally is barely willing to consider a few things hired out….but it has been a hard fight. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SKL said:

I don't know, but when you bring up parking fees, biking, and public transportation as considerations for a rural resident, it suggests you aren't familiar with how things are in rural US.

I don't think people "have to have" a gazillion cars, but there aren't big reasons not to have an old extra vehicle sitting on one's property in rural US.  I'll defer to the other thread at this point.

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I was speaking more broadly when referring to biking and public transportation. However, for my 4 years living rurally in Norway I never owned my own car. I walked, biking, skied, hopped rides with friends/co-workers to and from work or grocery shopping. I also accessed public transport, which was accessable on certain highways at limited hours in Norway. Their public buses were used by high school students living rurally. 

It's pretty amazing how resourceful you can be when you are friggin' poor and simply cannot afford a car, gas, a driver's liscence, etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Back to the original question…..no I would not move in to a home like that unless it was my only choice out of the elements.  If I already have a home, no way I am leaving it to move into a home with plywood floors….especially with 5 kids.  
If I am understanding  the problem correctly it is that 1) the Dh thinks @Elizabeth86 is being a diva for wanting floors installed and 2)He will insist on doing it himself which means it will take a long time.

I would die on this hill.  And if he chooses to continue insisting on doing everything himself while commuting 100 miles each way to work every day then I guess he will go years not moving to the inherited home. Which ultimately will cost him more money because he will be paying taxes and insurance and utilities on two homes for a long time.  

The windows I feel differently about….they would be easier to replace after you move in. As far as safety little kids can’t open windows in case of fire anyway.  

And I totally get that he is an all around great man with a few maddening quirks…..I think a lot of us have this kind of husband.  My husband also won’t hire things done….at age 57 he finally is barely willing to consider a few things hired out….but it has been a hard fight. 

Right in all things except my 12 and 11 year old certainly could get out the window. Probably my 8 year old could open a window for her and my 6 year old. 

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I was speaking more broadly when referring to biking and public transportation. However, for my 4 years living rurally in Norway I never owned my own car. I walked, biking, skied, hopped rides with friends/co-workers to and from work or grocery shopping. I also accessed public transport, which was accessable on certain highways at limited hours in Norway. Their public buses were used by high school students living rurally. 

It's pretty amazing how resourceful you can be when you are friggin' poor and simply cannot afford a car, gas, a driver's liscence, etc. 

pretty different world. I can’t imagine walking 12 miles with little kids up and down mountain roads and no sidewalks with enough groceries to feed a family of 7.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

pretty different world. I can’t imagine walking 12 miles with little kids up and down mountain roads and no sidewalks with enough groceries to feed a family of 7.

I'm sure that before you got married and had kids you would have lived your life differently than now. 

We all make different choices about where we live, how many kids we have, etc. If you had a lot less money than you do, you'd live your life differently now. It took you years to get the point you're at. A lot of decision-making happens along the way between young adult with no ties, and being married with 5 kids.

• Like 1

Can you throw down some of those vinyl peel and stick tiles on the subfloor?  That would go pretty quick and not cost too much.  Then he can work on the floors later as he has time.

Also, and only you would know if this would be effective at your house... sometimes, if I want something "handy" done, I start to do it myself.  Then dh takes over because he sees me doing it, either not up to his standards or for some reason only men know.  But it then gets done right away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

However, for my 4 years living rurally in Norway I never owned my own car. I walked, biking, skied, hopped rides with friends/co-workers to and from work or grocery shopping. I also accessed public transport, which was accessable on certain highways at limited hours in Norway. Their public buses were used by high school students living rurally. 

Yes, it is possible to use other methods to travel even if you're rural.  I am certain there are a number of low-income, elderly, and disabled people living rurally without a car.  In fact, there are whole US populations (Amish for example) who live that way as a principal.  However, just because something is possible doesn't make it ideal for everyone.

Yes, you can beg a ride in a fix, but that gets old if you're always the one begging and never the one offering.  I would also note that walking and bike riding along a country road simply can't be safely done with a bunch of little kids, unless you leash some of them.  That leaves staying home with the kids (excluding those bused to school) all day, all week.  This might work for some families, but it doesn't need to be the default.

Norway is a bit smaller than the US.  I don't know the distances you're talking about, but the US is a bit unusual in terms of how long commutes are for many rural people.  I'm sure there are other relevant differences between the countries, but I'm not an expert in that.

ETA:

And to your earlier point that having an additional car means "I might drive more because I can."  That makes sense if one is talking to people without a bunch of kids.

Believe me, when I had 2 small children, I didn't ever drive just "because I could."  We are not "footloose and fancy free" when we take our tots on errands.  I probably don't need to explain the potty training factor, or all that's involved in getting the groceries from the shelves to the car to the house with two non-walking kids in pouring rain or knee-deep snow.

But in general, I think it's usually reasonable to assume that an experienced, intelligent mom has considered the options and chosen the one that works for her situation.  Arguing on and on about why it might not be right is odd.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure that before you got married and had kids you would have lived your life differently than now. 

We all make different choices about where we live, how many kids we have, etc. If you had a lot less money than you do, you'd live your life differently now. It took you years to get the point you're at. A lot of decision-making happens along the way between young adult with no ties, and being married with 5 kids.

there are pros and cons to all the lifestyle choices we’ve made. I’m sure if we all laid out our finances we’d find plenty of places where we felt that others were being “wasteful” some people feel that having an at home parent is wasteful and a luxury. There’s no one right way of doing things. I’m pretty sure that the op, like the rest of us are doing the best they can and making hard choices all the time. I’m not going to criticize her for having an extra paid for car.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SKL said:

Yes, it is possible to use other methods to travel even if you're rural.  I am certain there are a number of low-income, elderly, and disabled people living rurally without a car.  In fact, there are whole US populations (Amish for example) who live that way as a principal.  However, just because something is possible doesn't make it ideal for everyone.

Yes, you can beg a ride in a fix, but that gets old if you're always the one begging and never the one offering.  I would also note that walking and bike riding along a country road simply can't be safely done with a bunch of little kids, unless you leash some of them.  That leaves staying home with the kids (excluding those bused to school) all day, all week.  This might work for some families, but it doesn't need to be the default.

Norway is a bit smaller than the US.  I don't know the distances you're talking about, but the US is a bit unusual in terms of how long commutes are for many rural people.  I'm sure there are other relevant differences between the countries, but I'm not an expert in that.

But aren't a large number of rural Americans working "from home" as in on their farms, pretty close to where their house is? That's not a far commute on a daily basis. For those rural dwellers who do have a longer commute, a lot of this will be completely (or partially if their work situation changes) by choice. When you choose to embrace a long commute, then you also choose to spend a lot of money on transportation costs and all the other costs associated with living far from your place of work. 

Edited by wintermom

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

But aren't a large number of rural Americans working "from home" as in on their farms, pretty close to where their house is? That's not a far commute on a daily basis. For those rural dwellers who do have a longer commute, a lot of this will be completely (or partially if their work situation changes) by choice. When you choose to embrace a long commute, then you also choose to spend a lot of money on transportation costs and all the other costs associated with living far from your place of work. 

No. Most people in my area are NOT farmers and I’d estimate commuting 30minutes to an hour. A lot of people have farms but aren’t solely farmers. Like almost no one anymore.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 13

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

The majority of small farmers do not make the whole living from farming. Most non industrial level farmers have at least one off farm job especially to provide insurance.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, wintermom said:

First of all, nobody said there weren't choices involved in the big picture.  Choices are considered a good thing around here.

Secondly, the assumption that rural means farm owner/laborer is flawed.  A quick google search tells me that farming accounts for only about 17% of rural employment.  And even for those 17%, driving is a part of the job.  Everything used in farming doesn't come delivered at the barn door.  Farmers and their service providers drive.  Possibly more than the average person.

Many farmers don't make enough money by farming for that to be their only job, so they have an additional job that requires a commute.

And for the other 83% who have manufacturing and service jobs, they generally have a commute.

You may be thinking that they should move to live walking distance to their job.  However, their job may be at a factory in the middle of nowhere.  Their job may be in a small town that doesn't have any comfortable / safe family housing available.  Or maybe they've decided that the luxury of more space and cleaner air is worth the little bit extra it costs to have an extra vehicle on the property.

I would also add the need to consider young people who are not yet launched.  They may eventually move to live near their grown-up job, but while they're getting ready for that, they are likely to live with family, rural or otherwise.  And they need to go to work/school, which usually means they drive.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

No. Most people in my area are NOT farmers and I’d estimate commuting 30minutes to an hour.

Sounds like a nice area. All the best with your future move.

3 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

The majority of small farmers do not make the whole living from farming. Most non industrial level farmers have at least one off farm job especially to provide insurance.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's similar to a lot of places in the world. Diversifying seems to be the only way many smaller farmers can survive. 

1 minute ago, SKL said:

First of all, nobody said there weren't choices involved in the big picture.  Choices are considered a good thing around here.

Secondly, the assumption that rural means farm owner/laborer is flawed.  A quick google search tells me that farming accounts for only about 17% of rural employment.  And even for those 17%, driving is a part of the job.  Everything used in farming doesn't come delivered at the barn door.  Farmers and their service providers drive.  Possibly more than the average person.

Many farmers don't make enough money by farming for that to be their only job, so they have an additional job that requires a commute.

And for the other 83% who have manufacturing and service jobs, they generally have a commute.

You may be thinking that they should move to live walking distance to their job.  However, their job may be at a factory in the middle of nowhere.  Their job may be in a small town that doesn't have any comfortable / safe family housing available.  Or maybe they've decided that the luxury of more space and cleaner air is worth the little bit extra it costs to have an extra vehicle on the property.

Have a nice day. Start a new thread if you'd like to continue this discussion. I simply don't have the time to keep debating the topic. Your information is interesting, though, so I'm guess that others may want to keep going.

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Have a nice day. Start a new thread if you'd like to continue this discussion. I simply don't have the time to keep debating the topic. Your information is interesting, though, so I'm guess that others may want to keep going.

1) There already is a new thread.  Perhaps you haven't noticed it.

2) I just don't understand why you are debating this in the first place.  But you have a nice day too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dad farms (and is mostly retired now but also drove a school bus, preached, and did construction work for decades). Farmers haul grain, they feed cows, they pick up fertilizer from town, they drive farther to pick up a part for a tractor, they drive to town for church, grocery shopping, school events, and Friday night basketball games.

They have a short commute to work and a long commute to everything else.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, almondbutterandjelly said:

sometimes, if I want something "handy" done, I start to do it myself.  Then dh takes over because he sees me doing it, either not up to his standards or for some reason only men know.

My DH hates, hates, HATES for me to use his (our) tools, but he would never actually say that to me because it would make him sound like a controlling weirdo.  But we both know it.  So if I start fixing something that involves using anything beyond, say, a screwdriver, suddenly all of his other pressing tasks fall away and that repair job goes immediately to the top of his priority list.

Ah, marriage....!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I am speaking as someone who was desperately poor for many years and who had to figure out how to feed, clothe, and transport myself from a young age until I finally had a living wage after I graduated college. I used my own two feet, my bike, roller blades, rides from friends, and public transportation tons and tons. In Chicago and on my college campus at UIUC there was excellent public transportation. In the suburban areas of both locales there was varying public transportation (and sometimes NONE that was workable). Yes, I know all about being poor and having to be creative. 

That said:

--It's much easier to be resourceful when you don't have kids

--European public transportation is far more widely available even in rural areas. US public transportation is much, much more sparse. Not that that matters in this discussion.

--Nothing in the OP indicated desperate poverty. If poverty were the issue she asked about, then the ongoing questioning of her car choices would make more sense. She didn't ask about budget. She asked about the importance and the nuances of floors and windows that open.

--There is nothing at all wrong or questionable about the OP's vehicle choices. 

--OP is trying to figure out how much of a fuss to make about the floors. If she decides that the floors and windows are a hill to die on, she's mentioned a couple ways in this thread that she thinks she can afford them. The question was about floors vs no floors.

--Changing the OP's car situation will not change the debate between her and her husband about the floors, windows, or the house in general. The vehicles have no impact on this question for them.

• Like 10

Do you really think farmers can make a living just farming?  Because all the farmers I know get the majority if their money elsewhere.  Your answer is so out of touch with rural America.  I am not the OP, but we do have a farm- 300 acres- inherited from 3 generations ago.  We have around 30-35 mama cows.... our yearly income from this, after taking out feed and fertilizer is about $10-15k. We don't owe on the land or the equipment (tractors, barns, or cattle).  No one around here makes a living farming.  They all do other things- often traveling an hour to work- and farm on the side.  We live an hour from the library,  Walmart,  Dr's (and that's basically Dr, it's 2-3 from a good Dr).  We have a truck bc we need to haul stuff, often from the town an hour away, sometimes farther.  We have a big vehicle to fit all our kids.  Neither gets good gas milage, so I have another driving car for going longer distances- cause Dr can easily be 2-3 hour one way.  It doesn't hold all of us, and it's new,  because I used to have lots of Littles and had to take them with me.  Now I often leave them at home.  I'm going to a Dr appt this afternoon,  it's an hour their and an hour back.  I don't want to drive my big vehicle.  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I was speaking more broadly when referring to biking and public transportation. However, for my 4 years living rurally in Norway I never owned my own car. 

Good for you.

I had a friend that was an exchange student in Norway who was completely blown over by the transportation options there. They don’t exist here.

Basically post WW II, much of the public transportation outside of major cities completely evaporated, and most didn’t bring it back. And surprise! You have to get to the city to even use it!

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Choice you keep questioning, even when another thread exists for discussing it separately.

. When you choose to embrace a long commute, then you also choose to spend a lot of money on transportation costs and all the other costs associated with living far from your place of work. 

Yep. And for some reason, you want her to have not only made a different choice before now but to then not accept the all the associated workarounds that she is using. 

Have a nice day. Start a new thread if you'd like to continue this discussion. I simply don't have the time to keep debating the topic. 

😳 ???

• Like 6

6 hours ago, almondbutterandjelly said:

Can you throw down some of those vinyl peel and stick tiles on the subfloor?  That would go pretty quick and not cost too much.  Then he can work on the floors later as he has time.

Also, and only you would know if this would be effective at your house... sometimes, if I want something "handy" done, I start to do it myself.  Then dh takes over because he sees me doing it, either not up to his standards or for some reason only men know.  But it then gets done right away.

This is a job that is so easy I can, and have, done it. If the floor is level, you just put down a layer of that thin, smooth plywood then put down the peel n stick floor. Vinyl plank is easy too. I’ve never tried vinyl tile but it must be just as easy. 

To me it sounds like the “finished” rooms are not that great. Like there’s some rough cabin grade flooring in a family home? With a large family you really want to prioritize ease of maintenance above all else.

If DH was in love with the look of these floors, and I thought it was pretty, I’d probably try to compromise and have something easy to clean in the kitchen, bathrooms, and dining room, then do enormous area rugs in the bedrooms and living areas. I could move in with working windows and finished flooring in the kitchen, bathrooms, and main living room PLUS a written project schedule with real work dates on the calendar that didn’t extend more than two years into the future. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is a job that is so easy I can, and have, done it. If the floor is level, you just put down a layer of that thin, smooth plywood then put down the peel n stick floor. Vinyl plank is easy too. I’ve never tried vinyl tile but it must be just as easy. 

To me it sounds like the “finished” rooms are not that great. Like there’s some rough cabin grade flooring in a family home? With a large family you really want to prioritize ease of maintenance above all else.

If DH was in love with the look of these floors, and I thought it was pretty, I’d probably try to compromise and have something easy to clean in the kitchen, bathrooms, and dining room, then do enormous area rugs in the bedrooms and living areas. I could move in with working windows and finished flooring in the kitchen, bathrooms, and main living room PLUS a written project schedule with real work dates on the calendar that didn’t extend more than two years into the future. 

I’ll try to get y’all some pictures one day

• Like 4

If the plywood is in decent shape, you could also paint or stencil the floor. You could even lay out carpets and just paint or stencil the areas around them and maybe a bit of floor under the carpet. I’ve seen some that are quite pretty. Cost shouldn’t be too much and chunks of it could be done over time. When your husband is ready to put in the poplar flooring, there shouldn’t be too much prep to do.

I am in Illinois and saw LVP tiles at Menards for 79 cents per sq ft. These are floating floors so fairly easy to install and not pricey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

If the plywood is in decent shape, you could also paint or stencil the floor. You could even lay out carpets and just paint or stencil the areas around them and maybe a bit of floor under the carpet. I’ve seen some that are quite pretty. Cost shouldn’t be too much and chunks of it could be done over time. When your husband is ready to put in the poplar flooring, there shouldn’t be too much prep to do.

I am in Illinois and saw LVP tiles at Menards for 79 cents per sq ft. These are floating floors so fairly easy to install and not pricey.

And how fun for future owners to find your handiwork under the flooring when they eventually pull it up!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 5:38 PM, BeachGal said:

On 7/18/2024 at 11:22 PM, saraha said:

And how fun for future owners to find your handiwork under the flooring when they eventually pull it up!

I saw this today 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9nm-MAsVjM/?igsh=dGgyZGhobXlzcGY1

and thought of this thread

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 7/17/2024 at 11:18 PM, KidsHappen said:

I have those horizontal windows where no one can possibly climb out of it bc cranking it all the way might just mean the tiniest child can get out. But it’s up to code and its subfloor room. But there is just fresh air. Just no way to get out unless we take the stairs. I’m in CA.

• Like 1