Menu

Looking for dresses and skirts

Soror

I'm looking for some dresses and skirts for summer.

I'm a size small with some curves/hourglass shape

I prefer:

1- length right above or below the knee length (I'm 5'4")

2- pockets

3- fit and flare style, shirt dresses or something with a tie/belt for a defined waist

4-styles that don't require special bras or are too low cut that I have to worry about bending over

5- skirts that are full to allow for easy movement

6- maybe some floral skirts so I can wear them with multiple color tops or jewel tones or black

7- dresses that are sleeveless or have cap sleeves

TIA!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have you tried Soft Surroundings? A lot of the their dresses seem to fit your requirements — I tend to buy long lengths but the ones I have mostly have pockets, are not too low cut, full-ish skirts, no sleeves. They have a lot of florals, and use very nice, soft fabric.

Maybe worth a shot!

ETA: I can’t link anything after a phone update, but if you filter dresses by “short,” you might find the length you want. Here’s the short version of the Santiago style, one of my favorites:

image.thumb.png.0edb8213ed04600903d1a579e5c484e1.png

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

I have some skirts that match your needs from Athleta and Uniqlo. Stretchy waistbands, deep pockets (some even with zippers!), midi length (I'm 5'3 for reference), stretchy, practical and cute. Also, I bought a linen skirt from Target this season that I love.

• Thanks 1

My favorite dresses like that are from Old Navy, Talbots, and JJill. Unfortunately I haven’t seen many I like lately. You might check eBay. 

I also have a couple from Columbia, North Face, and another athletic company that escapes me right now. 

• Thanks 1

I bought this recently and really like it! I found it after my thread about sweating and staying cool in the summer. There are lots of color options. I think it ticks most of your boxes. The top is a fitted, stretchy material and then the rest hangs loose. 

IMG_6582.thumb.png.67ab894fa74f65a4351f61737b994dac.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm combing through them all and looking. I've not found anything I love yet but I'm picky. URGH

Surely I'll find something on one of these. 

I also think surely I could sew a skirt at least. I'm not a great seamstress but I don't want anything complicated. I used to have a collection of various thrifted skirts that I liked wearing but I only have one left and it is in pretty rough shape and only for at home. I have a handful of other dresses but the ones I have are a little more dressy than I'm wanting for every day or shorter than I like to wear currently. I've been looking at the thrift store when I get a chance.

• Like 3

https://www.costco.com/chaps-ladies'-crewneck-knit-dress.product.4000215307.html

L got this dress in navy and in green.  I wish I had picked one up!  It's lined, very nice for the price.  I did get myself a Columbia sport with pockets to try out.  I think I'm going to get a few more.  Very comfy!  

We've had trouble finding this type dress, it's what L prefers to wear.  Many are thin fabric, poorly made, or made of the swim suit type fabric.  She gets some Lauren Conrad from Kohls sometimes, but nothing recently.   

• Thanks 1

I bought this one recently and I love it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MCNMR1H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one doesn't have pockets but I have also been very happy with this one.  Both of these are very easy wear for anything and could potentially dress  up or down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B418L4QV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, catz said:

I bought this one recently and I love it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MCNMR1H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one doesn't have pockets but I have also been very happy with this one.  Both of these are very easy wear for anything and could potentially dress  up or down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B418L4QV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for this! They are very similar to a couple of Land’s End dresses I purchased several years ago.  I wanted to get a couple more this year, but they didn’t have them any more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is one of my faves. Ignore the length on the model. I’m 5’4” and it hits just above the knee.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CBBS5BYC/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A1HPK4MEBNYOYY&psc=1

They have another skater dress that I like too, also just above the knee, but it doesn’t have pockets. The bodice is double thickness fabric too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0D319X5KD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1HPK4MEBNYOYY&psc=1&th=1

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

I love that one, too! It feels a bit higher quality to me than a lot of Amazon dresses, and it's very flattering on.

I bought that one, too, and it’s a good one!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MercyA said:

I love that one, too! It feels a bit higher quality to me than a lot of Amazon dresses, and it's very flattering on.

15 hours ago, catz said:

54 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I bought that one, too, and it’s a good one!

I'm 5'6" - any chance it would cover my knees?  I have really ugly knees and always wear midi dresses, but this one says knee length.  

• Like 1

Just now, Kassia said:

I'm 5'6" - any chance it would cover my knees?  I have really ugly knees and always wear midi dresses, but this one says knee length.  

I’m not quite 5’, and it comes to just below the knees — I’m not sure where it might hit for you. It’s an easy return if it doesn’t work, though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Gosh, hard to say!  I am about 5'3" maybe a touch under and I do get knee coverage on this one, but it's RIGHT there?

I love this so much I am going to be ordering another one.  SO comfy and yet I look much less sloppy than my average self lol.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, catz said:

I love this so much I am going to be ordering another one.  SO comfy and yet I look much less sloppy than my average self lol.  

Isn't it great when you find something you love like that?  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

The large is about 41" long from shoulder to hem. I'm 5'8" and it *just* covers my knees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just got home from Costco and looked for dresses because of this thread. There were none, but I bought a skirt with built in shirts and two pairs of danskin high-waisted bike shorts with pockets. (I AM a bike commuter now.)

Y’all owe me $34.98 plus tax. 

• Haha 9

I have three of these, different colors. I wear them without a bra because, well, my pamphlets don't need a shelf to contain them 😂😂😂😂😂, and in the winter I throw a cardigan on and leggings underneath. I am so comfy. I am thinking of bug some more because I know the second I really like something clothing designers across the universe sense this, and immediately discontinue it planning to never allow its revival in my lifetime. Soon as I am dead, bam! It will make a comeback. I am 56. How many do I need to last 20-30 more years? 😁

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=863534022#pdp-page-content

On 6/8/2024 at 11:24 AM, Corbster98 said:

I love the look of those but the skirts I like the most are longer than I want. I've got to look through them more and think!

As I mentioned, I have one skirt I wear around the house. I got at Goodwill probably 15 years ago. I wore it while giving birth to dd3. It's got holes in it and the elastic is stretched. Those dresses and skirts remind me of it, very bohemian, with lots of colors.

On 6/10/2024 at 4:01 PM, ArtHaus said:

Son de Flor has a beautiful selection, and meets your criteria. 

Oh, those are some really lovely dresses and skirts! However, the prices are out of my budget. 

-------------------------------------------

I swear. I'm terribly picky.

Looking through all of the wonderful links you guys posted I'm narrowing down what I want more and don't know that I was all that clear. 

I just ordered 2 from Quince. One , fit and flare in olive, I have eyed several times but have been concerned about the neckline. I looked through the review pics and none of them look nearly as low cut as the model pic. Another, tiered linen smocked dress in navy, reminded me of some on the Son de Flor mentioned above but at a price I could afford.