Menu

Makeup/skin care advice?

Carrie12345

I’m not trying to conceal the fact that I have fine lines and am starting to get some deeper frowny ones. I already dress like a feral child; aiming to make my face look 20 years younger would be creepy, imo.

However, I don’t want to make them even more noticeable! Lately, that’s what makeup has been doing. I wear it 3-4x/wk, primarily to even my skin tone, which is somewhat ruddy.

I usually use IlMakiage or LaRoche-Posey tinted moisturizer, depending on my mood. Occasionally Maybelline Super Stay powder for a change. But all 3 just love to sink in there and amplify things. With or without primer.

I moisturize morning and night. Usually I do a little retinol at night. No special cleansers, just plain Dr. Bronners.

I’ve got to change *something because it’s making me nutty. But those are 3 very different products with the same results, so I don’t have high hopes. 

If I were you, I’d ditch the Dr Bronner’s because it’s extremely drying and stripping. Instead, Cetaphil Gentle skin cleanser (not Daily Cleanser) or even better, an oil based cleanser. I use Albolene Cleansing Balm. 

Try the German Nivea cream with maybe a layer of something lighter (with ceramides, squalane, etc) underneath the Nivea. Let it sit a few minutes to soak in. Then use a mineral based sunscreen every day. I use Think Sport stick. Blot gently with tissue to remove shine. 

I have no advice past this point, because I don’t wear any makeup over or under my sunscreen. 

If nothing else, ditch the Castile soap. It will contribute to the creation of fine lines as it’s so drying. Sunblock everyday is important for preventing fine lines. These are two very proactive things you can do. 

• Like 2

I've stopped wearing anything on my skin because I've noticed it usually ages people my age. I don't have many lines, but moisturized looks better on me than even light coverage does. 

I've recently started prioritising skin care more and I really like the result. Just a moisturizing, creamy skin cleanser (Paula's choice), some sort of magic serum (also PC) and a primer that makes my skin feel super duper soft (Elf). I started using boy brow and I've noticed color on my lips goes a long way. But mostly it's about moisture.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

If I were you, I’d ditch the Dr Bronner’s because it’s extremely drying and stripping. Instead, Cetaphil Gentle skin cleanser (not Daily Cleanser) or even better, an oil based cleanser. I use Albolene Cleansing Balm. 

Try the German Nivea cream with maybe a layer of something lighter (with ceramides, squalane, etc) underneath the Nivea. Let it sit a few minutes to soak in. Then use a mineral based sunscreen every day. I use Think Sport stick. Blot gently with tissue to remove shine. 

I have no advice past this point, because I don’t wear any makeup over or under my sunscreen. 

If nothing else, ditch the Castile soap. It will contribute to the creation of fine lines as it’s so drying. Sunblock everyday is important for preventing fine lines. These are two very proactive things you can do. 

My mother has used Nivea essentially every day of her life and in her 80s she still has beautiful skin. There's some good genes going on too, I'm sure, but her skin has always been lovely. She used to bring it back from Germany before it was readily available here.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

My mother has used Nivea essentially every day of her life and in her 80s she still has beautiful skin. There's some good genes going on too, I'm sure, but her skin has always been lovely. She used to bring it back from Germany before it was readily available here.

And if you use sunblock religiously with the Nivea….I think it’s a very good pairing! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

And if you use sunblock religiously with the Nivea….I think it’s a very good pairing! 

Oh yes! Sunblock for sure. I'm currently a fan of Glossier, it doesn't smell like sunblock and feels smooth and clean instead of sticky.

• Like 1

The Hot and Flashy YouTube channel has great advice for skincare and makeup for older women. Angie started the channel about 10 years ago and she recently compared photos of her skin at 50 to current photos at 60, and her skin at 60 is absolutely gorgeous and looks better now than 10 years ago. You may not want to use as extensive a skincare routine as she does, but the basic advice is good and she also tests pretty much every makeup product out there and shows closeup photos of her skin, including in bright sunlight, showing how most products crease in the wrinkles and look terrible on mature skin. She recently did a review of Dior Forever Matte foundation and said it was the holy grail of foundations, as it went a full 10 hours with no creasing or caking at all. She also has reviews of the best inexpensive drug store products for mature skin.

I agree with Indigo that you should switch to a much gentler cleanser, maybe something like Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser. I use some of the Timeless and Ordinary serums after cleansing, then a good moisturizer with ceramides and peptides; my favorite moisturizers right now are Elf Holy Hydration Face Cream and Pacifica Ceramide Barrier Repair Face Lotion, both which include lots of great ingredients like ceramides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, squalene, etc. Plain old Cerave PM is good too. A good retinoid in the evening can make a big difference over time (I use tretinoin).

ETA: I've had a hard time finding a sunblock that I like. The chemical sunscreen ingredients used in the US sting my eyes, but most of the tinted zinc oxide ones I've tried leave a film that I find uncomfortable and they just don't look good on my skin. I just ordered a Korean sunscreen that uses totally different ingredients than the US ones, which supposedly don't sting like US chemical sunscreens or leave like a film like the mineral ones.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I recent heard, and it was kind of an aha-that makes sense moment- that to keep creasing makeup away, your moisturizer, primer, foundation etc should all be either water based or silicone based, but that you shouldn’t mix products on your face at the same time. 
But that’s all I know about that 😀

• Like 1

Hot and Flashy has been helpful for me in picking which products to try…. Generally the following has been helpful for me:

1. Switching from powder based products to creamy ones…even for eye shadow. 

2. Switching from an american based cleansing philosophy (wash/toner to ph balance things/moisturize) to a more Japanese one (focus on eating and drinking well, avoiding sun exposure, moisturizing and focusing on skin barrier quality) 

3. Using fewer products, not more…and those I do use have few ingredients, not more…

• Like 3

Fwiw, if you look at evidence based studies of skin care products for average healthy aging skin, laser treatments in a medical office are the most effective followed by tretinoin. Aside from using a gentle cleanser, sunscreen, and a moisturizer—most of the rest is just bunk. 

The same notion goes for makeup…less has been more for me. I do a tiny bit of color correction with a creamy stick, some eyebrow filler and some mascara and lipstick and call it good. On rare occasions I’ll add some laura mercier creamy eyeshadow and a bit of liquid foundation applied with a sponge. 

• Thanks 2

Following along, but for now I’ve been happy with this routine (started a year+ ago, can see a difference):

Tretinoin at night, Vit C serum in the morning. I use an inexpensive collagen cream am and pm, and also — sunscreen daily.

For make up, I love Jones Road. I’ve switched over last year and have tossed most of my former products (Clinique, mostly). I use a very small bit of the WTF foundation (it’s very light and moisturizing, not a lot of coverage — I really like that it feels more like moisturizer), a face pencil if needed. I use their miracle balm very sparingly, and if you wait for a sale you can get smaller tubs to try different shades. I am not in love with their mascara, but everything else has been a winner on my skin. I do wish they had a satin or matte cream eye product.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@Corraleno, ping me if you like the Korean sunscreen. I am on a similar journey.

@Corraleno Me too? 

I have spider veins on one side of my face and am trying to be better about skin care now that I am in my fifties. I've heard that Korean skin care products are often superior, so I'm curious about this product. 

• Like 1

I use Elta MD UV Elements as my “foundation”. I put a little bit of translucent powder on top, and it doesn’t settle in my lines or look thick or cakey at all. This is just enough to even my skin tone a bit, and most importantly, protect my skin from further sun damage. I don’t really like the way foundation looks anyway, so this is a good fit for me. 

@Corraleno I use and love a lot of the products you mentioned! Have you tried the Elta MD UV Elements?

59 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@Corraleno, ping me if you like the Korean sunscreen. I am on a similar journey.

26 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Corraleno Me too? 

I have spider veins on one side of my face and am trying to be better about skin care now that I am in my fifties. I've heard that Korean skin care products are often superior, so I'm curious about this product. 

This is the product that I ordered, after I saw that Angie had recommended it — she has the same issue with US sunscreen ingredients causing stinging and irritation, and she really really liked this one. It also got a great review from Lab Muffin (PhD chemist who reviews a lot of skincare); she really liked the ingredients, which are slightly different from most other Korean sunscreens, and said it was the most moisturizing and hydrating of the sunscreens she tried, and it was fully absorbed with no white cast. It also includes skincare ingredients like ceramides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, etc., so it does double duty. It should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I like it once I have a chance to try it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I use Elta MD UV Elements as my “foundation”. I put a little bit of translucent powder on top, and it doesn’t settle in my lines or look thick or cakey at all. This is just enough to even my skin tone a bit, and most importantly, protect my skin from further sun damage. I don’t really like the way foundation looks anyway, so this is a good fit for me. 

@Corraleno I use and love a lot of the products you mentioned! Have you tried the Elta MD UV Elements?

I loved Elta MD, but their tinted stuff is too yellow for me.

13 minutes ago, mmasc said:

That's the one I use when I really have to use sunscreen (when I'll be out in the sun for a while), but I don't really like the feeling of it on my face and it doesn't blend well with my skin tone, so I don't use it as often as I should. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I love that but it's so pricey!  I wish I could find a cheaper source.  I sub with this sometimes... Australian Gold  It's not quite as good as Elta but huge price difference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I love that but it's so pricey!  I wish I could find a cheaper source.  I sub with this sometimes... Australian Gold  It's not quite as good as Elta but huge price difference.

I used to use that one too, but it’s just too drying for my face now. The Elta feels creamier and feels better on my skin. I wish I could the AG one though, because it’s good and the price is great! I’m not a fan of the Elta price, but it’s worth it to me since I don’t really buy much makeup or other stuff. Sometimes (like now!), it’ll be a few dollars cheaper than normal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Following along, but for now I’ve been happy with this routine (started a year+ ago, can see a difference):

Tretinoin at night, Vit C serum in the morning. I use an inexpensive collagen cream am and pm, and also — sunscreen daily.

For make up, I love Jones Road. I’ve switched over last year and have tossed most of my former products (Clinique, mostly). I use a very small bit of the WTF foundation (it’s very light and moisturizing, not a lot of coverage — I really like that it feels more like moisturizer), a face pencil if needed. I use their miracle balm very sparingly, and if you wait for a sale you can get smaller tubs to try different shades. I am not in love with their mascara, but everything else has been a winner on my skin. I do wish they had a satin or matte cream eye product.

Can you share a bit more about your routine? For the tretinoin, is this prescription? I recently purchased a retinol from the esthetician that waxes/tints my eyebrows (I haven’t used her for anything else yet). It was expensive and I keep hearing about tretinoin. Is it a better option (the brand of retinol that I bought is SkinMedica)?

Can you tell me more about Vitamin C serum? What brand? The SkinMedica one that was recommended to me was $$$ so I didn’t buy. 

I am intrigued by the Jones Road makeup and will check it out. 

26 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Can you share a bit more about your routine? For the tretinoin, is this prescription? I recently purchased a retinol from the esthetician that waxes/tints my eyebrows (I haven’t used her for anything else yet). It was expensive and I keep hearing about tretinoin. Is it a better option (the brand of retinol that I bought is SkinMedica)?

Can you tell me more about Vitamin C serum? What brand? The SkinMedica one that was recommended to me was $$$ so I didn’t buy. 

I am intrigued by the Jones Road makeup and will check it out. 

I use an Rx tretinoin, and my insurance doesn’t cover it but the dermatologist has a compounding pharmacy that delivers it for a reasonable price so I pay $40 OOP every few months. The Vit C serum I started with from the derm was Obaji and pricey. Someone here mentioned a different brand on Amazon that looks good, though, and was much less. I may try that if I can find the brand again. When I turned 50, I asked the derm what I should be doing and those were the two recommendations. I also use a rosacea cream from the dermatologist. And sunscreen.

I am not big into doing a skin care routine, but this has made a big difference.

Following along to see if there’s anything else that might help!

Edited by Spryte
  • Thanks 1

All of my adult life, I have done the three-step routine, which modern make-up gurus say is not necessary, but it works for me: cleanser, toner, moisturizer. I have used several different brands, and as long as I stick with those three steps, I seem to be fine. I rarely do any make-up except for eyelashes and eyebrows (autoimmune disease = loss of eyebrows)., but if I'm going for more, I use Bare Minerals. I would not use a tinted sunscreen; that just doesn't seem right at all. o_0 "Foundation " should match your basic skin tone as closely as possible; color comes from the blush, which works better applied to skin that has been foundation-ed. 🙂

When I'm going all out in the sun, such as several days at Disneyland, I use Neutrogena sunscreen, the kind that is *dry.* I cannot bear for my face to fell oily at all. My regular/daily moisturizer has some sun screen, and seems to work ok for everyday use.

Also, I have rosacea; I don't get the spider veins, I get the all-over pink. The prescription I have from my dermatologist takes care of that pretty well; sometimes I use some powder on my cheeks and nose to even the color out.

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

I would not use a tinted sunscreen; that just doesn't seem right at all. o_0 "Foundation " should match your basic skin tone as closely as possible;

The tinted sunscreen is much more sheer than a foundation. It doesn't have the same coverage. It covers imperfections a little but not a lot. Before I used it I was just using powder. 

• Like 2

@Spryte @Just Kate I’ve been using Timeless Vit C serum in the morning and really like it. I found it through Angie Hot and Flashy. It’s very affordable and they often have sales too. Like @Spryte, I only use a form of retinol at night and Vit C in the morning and it has made my skin brighter and smoother. (I do use cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

@Spryte, do you apply your tretinoin and moisturizer at the same time in the evening? Thanks!

Basically, yes. I sometimes wait a few minutes, but usually I don’t have time. My dermatologist had me start by mixing some tretinoin with the moisturizer in my palm, when I started the tretinoin, so I imagine it’s fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

als. I would not use a tinted sunscreen; that just doesn't seem right at all. o_0 "Foundation " should match your basic skin tone as closely as possible;

The only non-tinted sunscreens I’ve been satisfied with (whether for protection level or feel) are either WHITE-white and/or don’t take well to makeup on top, so it’s tinted for me if I’m going to be exposed to the sun at anything more than a barbecue with friends!  
You may find me in my own backyard looking like a ghost though, lol. 

• Like 1

I use the Timeless Vitamin C Serum with Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid. This is one of the most highly recommended Vitamin C serums, and it's reasonably priced if you order it on sale (they constantly have sales and currently have 40% off everything on the site with code LOVE40). The active form of vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) oxidizes really quickly, so I prefer to buy it directly from Timeless because it's made up fresh and shipped out quickly, so you don't have to worry about how long it's been sitting on a shelf somewhere. Another big advantage of Timeless is that the Vitamin C is in an airless pump, which also protects against oxidation. When I've used Vit C in a dropper bottle, it seemed to oxidize (turn dark orange) before I could even use it up. With Timeless, I buy the 1.7 oz product (more cost effective than the 1 oz), and keep it in the refrigerator, so it lasts at least 6 months. I also like a couple of the Timeless peptide serums (CoQ10 and Matrixyl Synth6), which are also the serums that Angie uses (in addition to the Vitamin C). The serums also include hydrating and moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, aloe, and glycerin, which get "sealed in" when followed by moisturizer.

For tretinoin, I just use Curology. I could get it cheaper by getting a prescription from the dermatologist and ordering the generic stuff from India, but Curology is just super convenient, and you can tweak the formula whenever you want with an email instead of having to make another derm appointment. My Curology prescription includes tretinoin 0.035%, transexamic acid 5%, and niacinamide 4%. I think I started at 0.02% tretinoin, then moved up to 0.035%. With tretinoin, you really have to ease into it when you start and then each time you move up in strength. I have really sensitive skin so it's taken me a while to get to the point where I can use the 0.035% every day, and even then I still get occasional flakiness around my nose and mouth. They recommend just using it once or twice a week until your skin gets acclimated, then try 3x week, etc., until you can tolerate it every day. Then after a while you can bump up the strength a bit, again starting with a couple times a week, etc. You can also "sandwich" the tretinoin between two layers of moisturizer, which is what I did to begin with, but I've recently seen recommendations to use Matrixyl serum under tretinoin, with moisturizer over, and that has been working well for me.

Morning routine: (1) gently wipe my face with hot water and a wash cloth, (2) Vitamin C, (3) peptide serums, (4) moisturizer (currently using Pacifica Ceramide Face Lotion), (5) sunscreen.
Evening routine: (1) cleanse (currently using Eucerin Hydrating Gel Cleanser), (2) peptide serums, (3) Curology tretinoin, (4) moisturizer (mostly using Elf Holy Hydration, sometimes Trader Joe's Honey Hydration, sometimes both).

I don't think the serums are really necessary, especially for people who aren't dealing with serious age-related skin issues, so the basic routine is really just 3 steps: gentle/hydrating cleanser, AM vitamin C/PM retinoid, good moisturizer (+ sunscreen for daytime).

I'm in my 60s and I have a LOT of sun damage from 30 years spent in Florida, Southern California, and the New Mexico desert (when I really wasn't paying attention to skincare or wearing sunscreen very often) and these products have made a really big difference for me. I had a large brown spot about the size of a quarter on one side of my face that was so noticeable I opted to have laser treatment in 2015, which was expensive, painful, and not very effective at all. After just a couple of years of using the above products, that spot is almost gone. I also had a lot of really noticeable age spots on my hands, and just from rubbing leftover products into the backs of my hands after applying them to my face, the age spots have faded significantly. And my skin just looks way more firm and hydrated than it did a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

For anyone who doesn't use topical Vitamin C and is wondering what it does, it has four main effects:
(1)  It's a tyrosinase inhibitor, which helps limit the production of melanin. Other tyrosinase inhibitors commonly used in skincare to lighten dark spots and even skin tone include azelaic acid, kojic acid, transexamic acid, and hydroquinone.
(2) It's a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from free radicals and prevent further damage from pollution, UV exposure, etc.
(3) It boosts the effectiveness of sunscreen, so it's ideal to use in the morning before moisturizer and sunscreen. 
(4) It helps with collagen production, because two of the enzymes involved in collagen production require vitamin C to work.

There's lots of research on the active form of vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), but much less on the inactive forms. The active form needs to be at a low ph (<3.5), so it can be very irritating to some people, and most products are 10-20% L-ascorbic acid (Timeless offers both 10% and 20%). There's no additional benefit to going above 20%, and it's usually recommended to start at 10% until you see how your skin handles it. (I have pretty sensitive skin and don't seem to have a problem with Vit C, although I did start at 10% and now use 20%.)

There are a dozen or more inactive forms of vitamin C included in skin care, which you can find in ingredient lists by looking for "ascorb" as part of the name (e.g. magnesium ascorbyl phosphate). They're much more stable, and are at a higher ph to avoid irritation, so lots of companies use these in order to list "vitamin c" on the label, but there's not a lot of research on how well they're absorbed, how much is actually converted to the active form, and how effective they really are.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

For anyone who doesn't use topical Vitamin C and is wondering what it does, it has four main effects:
(1)  It's a tyrosinase inhibitor, which helps limit the production of melanin. Other tyrosine inhibitors commonly used in skincare to lighten dark spots and even skin tone include azelaic acid, kojic acid, and transexamic acid (as well as hydroquinone, which is Rx only).
(2) It's a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from free radicals and prevent further damage from pollution, UV exposure, etc.
(3) It boosts the effectiveness of sunscreen, so it's ideal to use in the morning before moisturizer and sunscreen. 
(4) It helps with collagen production, because two of the enzymes involved in collagen production require vitamin C to work.

There's lots of research on the active form of vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), but much less on the inactive forms. The active form needs to be at a low ph (<3.5), so it can be very irritating to some people, and most products are 10-20% L-ascorbic acid (Timeless offers both 10% and 20%). There's no additional benefit to going above 20%, and it's usually recommended to start at 10% until you see how your skin handles it. (I have pretty sensitive skin and don't seem to have a problem with Vit C, although I did start at 10% and now use 20%.)

There are a dozen or more inactive forms of vitamin C included in skin care, which you can find in ingredient lists by looking for "ascorb" as part of the name (e.g. magnesium ascorbyl phosphate). They're much more stable, and are at a higher ph to avoid irritation, so lots of companies use these in order to list "vitamin c" on the label, but there's not a lot of research on how well they're absorbed, how much is actually converted to the active form, and how effective they really are.

You were so convincing I immediately bought the vitamin C you recommended. Thanks for including the coupon code! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MEmama said:

You were so convincing I immediately bought the vitamin C you recommended. Thanks for including the coupon code! 

I did the same!!!

I have a question, when using vitamin c, sunscreen, and moisturizer in the morning, what is the order for application?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

I have a question, when using vitamin c, sunscreen, and moisturizer in the morning, what is the order for application?

Vitamin C (let it dry), then moisturizer, then sunscreen. The reason dermatologists say to let it dry before the next step is because mixing it with other products can alter the ph and affect the absorption and efficacy.

The consistency is literally like water. I put one pump in my left hand, get some of it on the fingers of my right hand, and then immediately start applying it to my face with both hands. It absorbs really really fast. Then I do another pump the same way and apply to my neck, and rub any remainder into the backs of my hands.

If you find it too irritating to begin with, you can do the same thing people do with retinoids and acids like AHAs & BHAs — try just using it a couple times per week (on days you're not using a retinoid), and work up from there as your tolerance increases. Or what some people do is leave it on for 30-60 minutes, then rinse it off and reapply moisturizer, gradually working up to just leaving it on all day.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Vitamin C (let it dry), then moisturizer, then sunscreen. The reason dermatologists say to let it dry before the next step is because mixing it with other products can alter the ph and affect the absorption and efficacy.

The consistency is literally like water. I put one pump in my left hand, get some of it on the fingers of my right hand, and then immediately start applying it to my face with both hands. It absorbs really really fast. Then I do another pump the same way and apply to my neck, and rub any remainder into the backs of my hands.

If you find it too irritating to begin with, you can do the same thing people do with retinoids and acids like AHAs & BHAs — try just using it a couple times per week (on days you're not using a retinoid), and work up from there as your tolerance increases. Or what some people do is leave it on for 30-60 minutes, then rinse it off and reapply moisturizer, gradually working up to just leaving it on all day.

Perfect! I just started using a retinol and I ordered the vitamin c you recommended. Did you say what brand of sunscreen you use? I have some neutrogena that I’ve been using, but not sure what to look for in a daily facial sunscreen.  

I use Mad Hippie for face wash and moisturizer. I also use Biologique Recherche face masks, night cream and eye cream. For makeup I switched to Jones Road last year and really love it. I use the WTF, face pencil, and miracle balm. I wasn't thrilled with their mascara or eyeshadow though. I think I need to switch to a cream eyeshadow because powder is making my eyes look old lately!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Just Kate @Harriet Vane @prairiewindmomma

The Korean sunscreen I ordered (Haruharu Wonder Black Rice Moisture Airyfit Daily Sunscreenwas delivered this morning and so far I really like it!  I've only had it on for one day (and obviously can't attest to it's effectiveness as a sunblock in February in the PNW!), but it really seems to tick every box I was looking for. It's a very different formula from US chemical sunscreens, and even different from a lot of the other popular Korean sunscreens, but according to Lab Muffin (PhD chemist who is very into Asian skincare) the company that makes it is one of the largest and most reputable Korean skincare brands.

It goes on completely clear — no white cast at all — and it's got lots of moisturizing ingredients in it, but doesn't feel heavy or greasy. With other sunscreens I've always had to be really careful to keep them away from my eyes, because the chemical ones would sting and the zinc oxide ones would get in my eyes and leave an annoying film. I was able to put the Haruharu sunscreen directly on my eyelids with no stinging and no film getting into my eyes. Amazing.

The packaging says it has a "velvet" finish, which is in between matte and dewy, and I'd say that will probably be accurate for most people. I use a LOT of moisturizer (moisturizing serums plus slathering on moisturizer), so I would say it looks more dewy than velvet on me, but that's what my skin looks like before I put it on, so I think it will likely just have the same finish as whatever moisturizer you use under it. I even took a magnifying mirror outside during a brief moment of sunshine today, and the sunscreen was truly totally invisible. I don't use makeup so I can't say how it performs under makeup, but most of the reviews I've read say it works perfectly under makeup, and there are lots of reviews from WOC saying it works perfectly on all skin tones.

It seems to be quite moisturizing and for someone with oily skin, it might be enough on its own as an all-in-one moisturizer and sunscreen. It has ceramides, niacinamide, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, rice bran oil, moringa seed oil, and other plant extracts.

Assuming I don't develop any kind of reaction to this, I will definitely stick with it. It's got the highest rating for both UVB (SPF50) and UVA (PA++++), it's hypoallergenic, unscented, vegan, cruelty free, reef safe, totally invisible, non-stinging, and reasonably priced ($13 for 1.7 oz) — so pretty much everything I could want in a sunscreen. Really happy to have found this!

ETA: Forgot to mention that although it's in a tube, it has a pump, which protects from oxidation and makes it really easy to dispense a standard amount each time.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Listening... I was just trying to remember the name of the YouTube lady for skin care mentioned in here but couldn't think of it for the life of me.

Thanks @Corraleno for the recs. I also have some sun damage from my younger years. I don't feel the wrinkles or lines are bothersome but skin tone I feel paranoid about. I usually use just concealer because I'm paranoid about under eyes and skin on my cheeks but i think it ends up looking worse in other ways so I'm looking for options.

I have been trying different things off/on the last few years. I'm currently trailing a retinol cream from Roc after reading some good reviews. I chickened out of buying trenitonin. I figured I should try the strongest otc I could first. I think it helps but I'll be starting up to trenitonin after I finish it as my skin has handled it fine. I tried looking at different places that sold it but got analysis paralysis.

I'm using Okay Vit C now. I'm not sure if it helps. So I'm listening in on that. 

I bought several Paula's choice items around 40 and was doing it all but felt there wasn't enough difference for the cost and hassle.  Now I'm trying again focusing on moisturizer. retinol at night, vit c in the am, and sun screen. 

I used Australian gold sunscreen for several years but then no longer liked how it felt. Last I bought Elta but don't love it. I've had terrible problem with others burning my eyes or having a white cast so I'm excited try something new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried Jones Road and like it, but it smells kind of bad.

I also have tried Laura Geller and like that as well, but it is not moisturizing.   

Both of those are made for more mature skin.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MercyA said:

@Corraleno, how are you liking the Haruharu sunscreen? I'm thinking of trying it.

I'm super happy with it — it's totally invisible and just feels like a light-weight moisturizer (versus mineral sunscreens, which always make me feel like there's a film or coating on my skin), it doesn't bother my eyes at all, and it's really affordable. I only wish I'd found it sooner!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'm super happy with it — it's totally invisible and just feels like a light-weight moisturizer (versus mineral sunscreens, which always make me feel like there's a film or coating on my skin), it doesn't bother my eyes at all, and it's really affordable. I only wish I'd found it sooner!

Yes, thank you!! I’m going to place an order for some too. 

I do have one additional question. I have purchased a high quality retinol that I use at night and vitamin c for daytime. Should I be using either of these near my eyes? If.l not, what do you use around your eyes? Thank you!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I ordered it when you mentioned it. I've had mine nearly 2 weeks and love it. It feels good on and I can't see any white cast. I think the odor is a bit icky but it dissipates quickly and it isn't terrible.

• Like 2

I really like the Vitamin C @Corraleno recommended. Initially it feels a bit tacky/sticky to so I wasnt  sure I'd be able to use it, (although I'm extra sensitive to stickiness and can't tolerate the feeling so tbf others might not even notice) but I was pleased that it soaks in very quickly. It seems to play well with the Paula's Choice Resist serum I'm using.

@Just Kate I have been using the vitamin C around my eyes without any problems. I don't have particularly sensitive skin though (just sensory stuff). I use a cream at night that has retinol and use it on my eyes too, though I've never tried the potent kind.

• Like 1