Menu

Makeup/skin care advice?

Carrie12345

4 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I do have one additional question. I have purchased a high quality retinol that I use at night and vitamin c for daytime. Should I be using either of these near my eyes? If.l not, what do you use around your eyes? Thank you!!

I use them both around my eyes with no problem. I can even use vitamin C on my eyelids, but it's not recommended to use tretinoin on eyelids. Both absorb pretty quickly, so I've never had a problem with them getting into my eyes.

• Thanks 2

If anyone is looking for a good retinol body lotion, I highly recommend this one: Gold Bond Age Renew Retinol Overnight Body & Face Lotion, With Retinol & Peptide Complex

It was recommended by Angie (Hot and Flashy) and a bunch of other people that I generally trust for skincare recommendations. I get those bumps on the back of my arms in the winter (keratosis pilaris), and after a few weeks of using this they were completely gone and it made my skin really smooth, not just hydrated. It looks pretty thick when it comes out of the tube, but it's not greasy at all and absorbs really quickly with no tackiness. I have really dry skin so in the winter I'm adding a body butter on top of this after showering, but I like that it's lightweight enough to use by itself in the summer. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

If anyone is looking for a good retinol body lotion, I highly recommend this one: Gold Bond Age Renew Retinol Overnight Body & Face Lotion, With Retinol & Peptide Complex

It was recommended by Angie (Hot and Flashy) and a bunch of other people that I generally trust for skincare recommendations

How funny! I just bought this today. It was recommended on this blog. I found her post when looking for something else, then ended up following links. I ordered the Gold Bond - both the overnight and AM/PM.  I'm going to try the overnight one tonight. I'd like to try this other one she recommends but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that price.

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

How funny! I just bought this today. It was recommended on this blog. I found her post when looking for something else, then ended up following links. I ordered the Gold Bond - both the overnight and AM/PM.  I'm going to try the overnight one tonight. I'd like to try this other one she recommends but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that price.

My mom was just telling me that she’s been using the Gold Bond Crepe Corrector and noticed a difference. And she is not one that’s into body products AT ALL. So she must’ve really noticed to mention it!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Wow, that InvisiCrepe is crazy expensive! Gold Bond makes a Crepe Corrector Body Lotion with aloe, glycerin, squalene, urea, vitamin E, an ester form of vitamin C, and various antioxidants; I think it was Dr Dray who recommended both that and the Gold Bond retinol lotion.

Gold Bond also makes a Body Bright lotion with niacinamide, alpha hydroxy acids, and a stabilized version of ascorbic acid — those two together would be less than half the price, for twice as much product, with many of the same ingredients as the InvisiCrepe. I'd be inclined to give those a try before shelling out that much money for 5 oz of InvisiCrepe.

• Like 1

I just ordered the Gold Bond body lotion —  thank you! Have also been using the sunscreen, which is by far my favorite ever. I love this thread.

I was at urgent care yesterday and had to pull down my mask for a moment and the nurse complimented my skin. You could have knocked me over, and maybe she was just being nice, but it made me feel like the last 18 mos or so of changes have really made a difference. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Wow, that InvisiCrepe is crazy expensive! Gold Bond makes a Crepe Corrector Body Lotion with aloe, glycerin, squalene, urea, vitamin E, an ester form of vitamin C, and various antioxidants; I think it was Dr Dray who recommended both that and the Gold Bond retinol lotion.

Gold Bond also makes a Body Bright lotion with niacinamide, alpha hydroxy acids, and a stabilized version of ascorbic acid — those two together would be less than half the price, for twice as much product, with many of the same ingredients as the InvisiCrepe. I'd be inclined to give those a try before shelling out that much money for 5 oz of InvisiCrepe.

Yeah, that's not a price point I'm willing to go to. I'm always up for finding inexpensive dupes. I bought the Gold Bond Overnight Face and Body Lotion at Target yesterday, then came home and saw it recommended on this thread. Then I ordered the Crepe Corrector Body Lotion because Target didn't have it and I didn't feel like going elsewhere to find it.

My favorite dupe for Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair is Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Face Serum Ampoule.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

I did too! My skin is fiercely itchy this winter and my go to isn't cutting it.

I nominate  @Corraleno  as the official Hive beauty and skin consultant 🙂 

Seconded! 
I started using the face sunscreen recommended and also really like it. I always have an issue with sweat and then it hurting my eyes. Eucerin is all I found before. So far so good with this new one that has a lot better ingredients.  

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:06 PM, Corraleno said:

On 2/21/2024 at 5:07 PM, Lady Florida. said:

How funny! I just bought this today. 

On 2/22/2024 at 6:53 AM, MEmama said:

I did too! My skin is fiercely itchy this winter and my go to isn't cutting it.

We should all come back to this thread in about two weeks and report on whether/how well it's working.

• Like 4

On 2/7/2024 at 7:31 PM, Corraleno said:

This is the product that I ordered, after I saw that Angie had recommended it — she has the same issue with US sunscreen ingredients causing stinging and irritation, and she really really liked this one. It also got a great review from Lab Muffin (PhD chemist who reviews a lot of skincare); she really liked the ingredients, which are slightly different from most other Korean sunscreens, and said it was the most moisturizing and hydrating of the sunscreens she tried, and it was fully absorbed with no white cast. It also includes skincare ingredients like ceramides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, etc., so it does double duty. It should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I like it once I have a chance to try it out!

If anyone is wanting to try this, it’s on major sale today! Less than $10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

If anyone is wanting to try this, it’s on major sale today! Less than $10.

I ordered it yesterday and, hopefully, it will be here today. Luckily, I had put it in my wishlist so I wouldn't forget which brand to try, so Amazon gave me a heads up when the price went down. I can't wait to try it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I ordered it yesterday and, hopefully, it will be here today. Luckily, I had put it in my wishlist so I wouldn't forget which brand to try, so Amazon gave me a heads up when the price went down. I can't wait to try it.

How do you get the feature where Amazon will notify you?  I've looked all over and can't find it.  

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

How do you get the feature where Amazon will notify you?  I've looked all over and can't find it.  

I'm not sure, but it will let me know whenever anything in my cart or my wishlist goes down in price. If I set a notification, it has been so long that my poor old brain can't remember. I'm getting the notifications through Alexa so maybe that's how it works. I'm terrible at this sort of thing. If I wanted Alexa to stop notifying me, I'd likely not be able to find it either. I'm so sorry I wasn't any help. 😞

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm not sure, but it will let me know whenever anything in my cart or my wishlist goes down in price. If I set a notification, it has been so long that my poor old brain can't remember. I'm getting the notifications through Alexa so maybe that's how it works. I'm terrible at this sort of thing. If I wanted Alexa to stop notifying me, I'd likely not be able to find it either. I'm so sorry I wasn't any help. 😞

I think it is Alexa then because someone else I know said that's how she gets them too.  I don't have Alexa.  Darn! 

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: If anyone on here is a lover of the Elta MD UV Elements, they are changing the formula! I don’t know if my skin will like the new formula and this is the only sunscreen I have found so far that I’ve used every.single.day. I’m so bummed!! I just ordered 4 of the “old” formula from Amazon. It can be found still but not for long. The expiration dates on mine are 6/2026. 

ETA: I had to buy the 2-packs in order to get the old formula. (Which was fine since I was buying 4 and they’re cheaper that way!)

Edited by mmasc
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Do you know if it’s just the UV Elements that is changing? I use the UV Clear every day and love it - I hope it isn’t changing, too! 

I‘m not sure! It looks like it has the new bottle design like the new UV Elements, but that doesn’t mean the formulation changed like in elements. Their website is great about listing ingredients though, so I’d just compare them to the bottle you currently have and see if they’re the same. I hope it didn’t! 

Edited by mmasc
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bambam said:

For those that use the Timeless Vitamin C serum, do you keep it refrigerated?  

I don’t. I keep it in my bathroom, inside a cabinet. I use mine daily and by the time I get to the end of it, it still seems fresh to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bambam said:

For those that use the Timeless Vitamin C serum, do you keep it refrigerated?  

I do, but I'm not sure it's necessary since they switched to a pump. I just got used to keeping it in the fridge when they sold it in dropper bottles, because that would go bad pretty quickly from air exposure. 

• Like 1

So l occasionally get breakouts around the time of the month, my skin will either be really clear then I get like 5 pimples

My dermatologist recommended me using Adapalene and Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 0.1%/2.5% at bedtime, start with every other night for the first 2 months, applying a moisturizer on top

This part confuses me because how many times a week should I apply the adapalene she wasn't very specific I don't want to freak my skin out also to dry skin / damp skin? Do I need to wait to apply my moisturizer this freaks me out because I feel like my dermatologist didn't answer these for me in detail just sort of do this and hope for the best and Clindamycin Phosphate 1% to affected areas every morning

I want to keep my routine super simple I have dry sensitive skin and sometimes 

AM:

CeraVe hydrating foaming oil cleanser

CeraVe night reviewing cream

Good Molecules Yerba Mate Wake Up Eye Gel

Live Tinted Hueguard 3-in-1 Mineral Sunscreen

PM: 

Neutrogena ultra light cleansing oil

CeraVe hydrating foaming oil cleanser

CeraVe night reviewing cream

Good Molecules Yerba Mate Wake Up Eye Gel

If I get super dry I will slug with CeraVe healings oinment

When in my routine will these topicals come in.