Menu

I’ve never heard of such a thing!!

Amethyst

My sil saw a picture of something today. It looks sort of like a doctor’s exam table, but the legs are very short. Sil told dh “oh I know what that is! It’s a menstrual cramp bed. Y’know they have them in women’s restrooms”. Dh believed her cuz, well, he’s never been in a women’s restroom. But I have! I’ve been in 62 years worth of public restroom. If there has been a place to sit (or even conceivably recline), I have NEVER heard anything referred to as a menstrual cramp bed!! Have you?  Or is this just my sil being my sil? 

• Like 6

My doctor has one in his office. There is barely room to perch your rear on the seat. It reclines though and then the bottom basically functions like a labor and delivery bed. It is very uncomfortable for me and that is the one I was trying to get on when I fell and broke my L1. I am not exactly sure of it's intended function.

I read an article a year or two ago about the history of public restrooms for women. It started around 1900 with department stores having like an anteroom/lounge sort of thing before the actual bathroom, I think because they thought women couldn't handle hours of shopping on their feet or something? I'll add a link if I can track it down.

ETA: It might have been this article. There's a lot of copy pasta out there. My memory is not so good, but it's the general gist.

Edited by knitgrl

9 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

I read an article a year or two ago about the history of public restrooms for women. It started around 1900 with department stores having like an anteroom/lounge sort of thing before the actual bathroom, I think because they thought women couldn't handle hours of shopping on their feet or something? I'll add a link if I can track it down.

I assumed it was because women tend to shop with other women and/or children and it was space for people waiting on others. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, knitgrl said:

ETA: It might have been this article. There's a lot of copy pasta out there. My memory is not so good, but it's the general gist.

When my kids were babies and we went to the mall, I loved the women's lounge in Nordstrom. Couches, chairs, a changing table. Lots of nursing moms taking a break. It was a lovely place to stop. I still get nostalgic on the rare occasion I walk into a Nordy's restroom. 

(Nordstrom has changing tables in the men's rooms too.) 

(I was not against nursing in a more public place, such as a table in the food court, but it was just nice and peaceful in there.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MercyA said:

The photo strongly reminds me of the bed that was in my elementary school's nurse's office. I googled photos of school nurse's offices and this was one of the first that came up:

image.png.b791b96b183920b7c62101848e42b08c.png

This is a great picture! And it makes sense that a short legged table would be in an elementary school nurse’s office would be there. Short legs for short people. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MercyA said:

The photo strongly reminds me of the bed that was in my elementary school's nurse's office. I googled photos of school nurse's offices and this was one of the first that came up:

image.png.b791b96b183920b7c62101848e42b08c.png

4 hours ago, Danae said:

“School nurse’s office” is exactly what I thought when I saw the first picture.

School nurse’s office was what I thought of too

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marbel said:

When my kids were babies and we went to the mall, I loved the women's lounge in Nordstrom. Couches, chairs, a changing table. Lots of nursing moms taking a break. It was a lovely place to stop. I still get nostalgic on the rare occasion I walk into a Nordy's restroom. 

(Nordstrom has changing tables in the men's rooms too.) 

(I was not against nursing in a more public place, such as a table in the food court, but it was just nice and peaceful in there.)

Nordy's started in Seattle.  -Here's your trivia for the day:  locals of a certain generation looked down on it.  It was "just"  a shoe store . . .They bought out Best, another clothing store.  My grandmother used her Best credit card at nordstrom. ) 

anyway - the dept store of my childhood was Frederick and Nelson.  I remember the women's LOUNGE (and it was a "lounge") in the downtown Seattle store.  Not even the downtown Seattle Nordstrom (they took over F&N's building) has a lounge in its league.  It was very large, chairs, chaises, make-up tables (with chairs) to fix your face, put your feet up . .  . . etc. etc. etc. Luxury carpets, high ceilings, chandeliers, a wall of big windows for lots of natural light  (the restrooms themselves were through another door) -  

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

anyway - the dept store of my childhood was Frederick and Nelson.  I remember the women's LOUNGE (and it was a "lounge") in the downtown Seattle store.  

Yes!!  This store was gorgeous we used to travel there every year to buy European shoes ans see Santa. It was the best Santa experience!!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 5:53 PM, Amethyst said:

Here it is. 

IMG_5887.jpeg

This is not what I was describing. The item I was describing had a seat about 5 inches deep and then when in the upright position the back was taller than my torso. It was mechanical so you could lay the back all the way down, plus adjust the head, feet or overall height. Like I said the bottom operated like a birth bed. And just looking at it it looks like it is built for birthing but I can't for the life of me figure why there would be in a ordinary doctor's office.

1 hour ago, KidsHappen said:

This is not what I was describing. The item I was describing had a seat about 5 inches deep and then when in the upright position the back was taller than my torso. It was mechanical so you could lay the back all the way down, plus adjust the head, feet or overall height. Like I said the bottom operated like a birth bed. And just looking at it it looks like it is built for birthing but I can't for the life of me figure why there would be in a ordinary doctor's office.

do they, or did they, do gynecological exams?