Menu

Soft vs hard side suitcase?

Janeway

I want to buy my children a 20 inch carry-on style suitcase to add to their Christmas presents. But I see there’s hard sided and soft sided. I actually prefer the soft sided but hurts I didn’t seems to be with popular, so I’m kind of torn on what to get because now I realize it seems to be about 50-50 of what people have. Any advice? Also, we are not actually planning on flying anywhere, but we have taken to taking little one in tonight, vacations places, and they like to pack their own suitcases or pack their suitcases to go to friends houses. Maybe they will find somewhere, but I doubt it. It would be nice if their suitcases lasted into their adult years. 

Soft suitcase. Counter to what one would think I've found soft suitcases to be able to take much more of a beating than a hard-shell. I have the dented hard-shell suitcases to prove it. 

I've never had a $$$$ hard-shelled suitcase so  I don't know if I get into that range if they are better at taking the hits. 

• Like 2

Soft. I don’t like the way you have to open hard side all the way flat—takes up too much room to do that. With a soft, it can be pushed against the wall and opened with one side going up the wall. (does that make sense??—I can’t figure out how to word it correctly!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I find it really depends upon why you are travelling, how you are travelling, and what you are packing.  On balance, I prefer soft-sided.  It is usually lighter-weight and has more "give".  It can be easier to squish into trunk space or other tight spaces.  It takes up less room to store at home when not in use.  For smaller bags for younger people, a backpack-style duffel often makes more sense than wheeled luggage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Soft. I don’t like the way you have to open hard side all the way flat—takes up too much room to do that. With a soft, it can be pushed against the wall and opened with one side going up the wall. (does that make sense??—I can’t figure out how to word it correctly!)

I totally did not even think about the laying it out flat issue! I will completely and definitely go with the soft side now. We had hard side suitcases when I was little (the 70's) and it was hard to guage how much to pack or where to lay things on the hard side suit cases.

• Like 1

I'm all about the smaller, soft-sided, under-the-seat sized carry-ons.  I picked up a really cute one at TJ Max for much less than the amazon price.  It's like the one in the link but a blue plaid.  I experienced a full flight and the airport staff going down the line telling a BUNCH of people with the big hard-sided carry-on bags that they had to check them.  I couldn't believe the size of these carry-ons.  I collapsed my handle and picked it up.  I was all "it's just me and my little ol' satchel here." They breezed right by me and  got the people all around me.  I packed for a week with that thing so it was all I needed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm all about the smaller, soft-sided, under-the-seat sized carry-ons.  I picked up a really cute one at TJ Max for much less than the amazon price.  It's like the one in the link but a blue plaid.  I experienced a full flight and the airport staff going down the line telling a BUNCH of people with the big hard-sided carry-on bags that they had to check them.  I couldn't believe the size of these carry-ons.  I collapsed my handle and picked it up.  I was all "it's just me and my little ol' satchel here." They breezed right by me and  got the people all around me.  I packed for a week with that thing so it was all I needed.

Ooh, that's a nice one!

I know you said you could fit enough for a week; do you mind sharing generally what that looks like? We have a trip coming up that I might want a second bag for, but I'm allergic to checking luggage and this looks perfect if I go that route.

I have been trying to find a suitcase to fit my needs, and being very frustrated. I've sent back everything I've purchased in the last years.  Including a couple hardsides (and softsides) . . . .

I think hardside is currently what's popular.  Both of my girls have replaced their softside with hardside.   

what do your kids prefer?  or do they not know enough to have a preference?

One of the things I prefer about softside is outside pockets.  I was also very unhappy to find the travelpro hardside I bought didn't have a built in place for an ID tag. .  kind need one flush with the suitcase so it won't get ripped off.
The hardside seem to need those packing cubes to keep things from rolling around even more than the softsides do.

if you get a spinner - make sure it won't faint if you want it to carry a tote bag on top while pulling it along. . . . oh, that was a miserable trip . . . It went back as soon as I got home.

16 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

be sure and check your preferred airlines underseat sizes.  they vary.
I've been looking for a wheeled carry on that I can stow my laptop in - but will also fit under the seat. . . . never the twain shall meet.
I have a backpack that fits, but it's not wheeled . . . 

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Ooh, that's a nice one!

I know you said you could fit enough for a week; do you mind sharing generally what that looks like? We have a trip coming up that I might want a second bag for, but I'm allergic to checking luggage and this looks perfect if I go that route.

I wore my boots and packed my flats.  Between wearing and packing I left with 3 pairs of pants, 1 dress, 2 pair of shoes, I set flannel pjs, a silk scarf, tights, 7 sets of undies and socks, 3 bras, 4 long-sleeved shirts, 3 short sleeved shirts, a sweatshirt, and make-up.  I wore my heaviest clothes/shoes and wore my plane blankie and pillow like a shawl.  I carried  backpack style purse and that's where I kept my snacks and my quart bag of liquids. I do think I was gone for 5 or 6 days and not actually seven.  

• Thanks 1

@scholarly I like these packing cubes from eBag. There are cheaper ones but these are very sturdy with strong zippers; I've had them for at least a decade, we travel a lot, and they are still in perfect condition. You can also get smaller sets and individual pieces if you need different sizes. Each person in my family has a different color, so if someone needs to put a cube in someone else's bag (usually mine, lol) it's easy to tell who it belongs to, and it's so convenient for keeping everyone's clothes separate when there are multiple people staying in the same hotel room.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've been looking for a wheeled carry on that I can stow my laptop in - but will also fit under the seat. . . . never the twain shall meet.

My wheeled laptop briefcase can go under the seat if it is not packed to full capacity with clothes (else its too tall). My wheeled laptop backpack is too long/wide.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I wore my boots and packed my flats.  Between wearing and packing I left with 3 pairs of pants, 1 dress, 2 pair of shoes, I set flannel pjs, a silk scarf, tights, 7 sets of undies and socks, 3 bras, 4 long-sleeved shirts, 3 short sleeved shirts, a sweatshirt, and make-up.  I wore my heaviest clothes/shoes and wore my plane blankie and pillow like a shawl.  I carried  backpack style purse and that's where I kept my snacks and my quart bag of liquids. I do think I was gone for 5 or 6 days and not actually seven.  

Thanks!

That's more than I take for 2-3 weeks, lol, so now I'm very interested in trying one out. I love the ease of a backpack (no worries on cobbles!) but it'd be nice to fit a bag under the seat only. Especially on cheapo airlines like Ryanair, where even our eBag packs are too big to be free. 

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My wheeled laptop briefcase can go under the seat if it is not packed to full capacity with clothes (else its too tall). My wheeled laptop backpack is too long/wide.

Do you have a link?  You can message me if you don't want post it.

27 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Do you have a link?  You can message me if you don't want post it.

The underseat dimensions varies by plane models unfortunately. I am seeing “18 by 14 by 8 inches” as well as “14 x 12 x 9 inches” and “17 by 10 by 9 inches”

Mine are old models. My non leather one is similar to this Amazon Basics model (17 by 14.5”) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VIM9VQ8

My leather one is similar to this (13"H x 17"L x 7"W)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061NL86?th=1&psc=1

When my husband use mine as business trip luggage. He put a few days worth of clothing in the main compartment and use it as a carry on. He just take out his laptop from the laptop compartment before putting it in the airplane overhead compartment. Without clothing, it can slide under the seat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

be sure and check your preferred airlines underseat sizes.  they vary.
I have a backpack that fits, but it's not wheeled . . . 

Have you checked someplace like Office Max?  We have had several wheeled computer/briefcases in the past.  DH has also had a rolling backpack/briefacse which was fairly roomy for some packing and would fit under the seat on most planes.  

Also, I have a small carry-on Osprey suitcase that is wheeled, will fit under the seat on most flights and has a padded front pocket for a laptop.  I bought it on sale at REI.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Have you checked someplace like Office Max?  We have had several wheeled computer/briefcases in the past.  DH has also had a rolling backpack/briefacse which was fairly roomy for some packing and would fit under the seat on most planes.  

Also, I have a small carry-on Osprey suitcase that is wheeled, will fit under the seat on most flights and has a padded front pocket for a laptop.  I bought it on sale at REI.  

They're gone from my area.  (even staples just closed - but not sure if it was that location, or the strip mall owner is doing something to the building.  I could have sworn when I drove past a few weeks later the roof had been completely torn down and you could see daylight through the doors..

I wouldn't have considered REI to be a place to get a wheeled laptop bag.  I'll look online.  The local stores are small - and I don't want to go into Seattle.

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

IMO, there’s a huge difference between a carryon and a personal item. Our next trip (coming up soon) is three weeks in Europe. I am traveling personal item only—I can tuck it under my seat and not worry about someone wanting to check my bag. Carryon = polycarb hardside. Personal item = soft with pockets.

You are packing for 3 weeks in Europe with just an under the seat personal item?   Can you share what you are bringing?

i am heading to Italy next spring so want to travel as light as I can. 

We all have the backpack style suitcases from Hynes Eagle. Love them! We have the larger 42-44L type ones. The dimensions qualify for carryons in the US and Europe.  So much better than losing luggage! That’s all we bring on trips anymore. We also have and use packing cubes- they’re amazing.

59 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

You are packing for 3 weeks in Europe with just an under the seat personal item?   Can you share what you are bringing?

i am heading to Italy next spring so want to travel as light as I can. 

Wearing: jeans, wool long sleeved shirt, crew neck sweater, the usual underbits—notably my bra with the thicker underwire, black shoes I can walk all day in (25,000 steps) easily, travel belt under clothing

Packing: 

Black Prana pants—these are quick dry, wrinkle free, have a subtle zippable pocket, and fold down very compactly

1 synthetic dressier blouse

1 base layer shirt that I am using as a pajamas shirt (traveling with family, so no pajamas bottom)/extra warm layering piece if I need it

2 spare pairs unders, 3 pairs wool socks (anticipating rainy fall weather, I like to sleep in dry clean wool socks if in a building where they turn the heat off at night—not uncommon in Europe), comfy sports bra

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/slibb-hanger-with-8-grip-clips-00499004/ This, to dry my undies and socks at night for a few of the nights we wont be in a house and need to do sink laundry because of travel plans

Laundry detergent sheets (can tear a bit up and handwash with them)

My thule tech case with chargers, adapters, spare battery https://www.thule.com/en-us/organizers/electronic-organizers/thule-subterra-powershuttle-mini-_-3204137

menstrual supplies—I have allergies to a lot of products, and although my cycles are whacked with perimenopause, it looks likely this is going to happen on my trip

Medicines—bottles decanted into pill baggies with pharmacy labels attached (full quart sized bag of these)

travel toiletries—minimal, will stop in if more is needed—quart sized ziplock for these, foldable toothbrush

packable shopping bag (folds down to 2”x3” size)

Outside pocket of bag: foldable spork in a sandwich ziplock, pen, tiny notepad, mints, pocket kleenex, tiny bottle of advil, a couple of doses of loperamide, a few bandaids, handwashing soap sheets https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Disposable-Scented-Foaming-Confetti/dp/B09N74RVX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=soap+sheets&qid=1697842365&sr=8-5

Kf94 face masks

Clearly, I don’t mind doing laundry on the go, but I can go three days between laundry if needed. 

If I was going at a different time of year, I would travel with a wool dress, a cardigan, a shirt, and a pair of yoga pants that look like leggings and that would be my personal item capsule wardrobe. My feet are just being grouchy enough that shoe choice is demanding I take two pairs of trousers instead of a dress for a better mix. 

Fwiw, we are all traveling this way—the Kanken backpack I am taking is trickier to pack than the  CabinMax bags off of amazon. The Kanken has a foam removable support inside, though, and if we get stuck for hours in a crowded airport, I need the foam pad for a seat cushion off of the floor. The other advantage of traveling personal item sized is that if you have to check out of your hotel but are still sightseeing before you depart the city that day, you can easily take your bag with you.

ETA: once I deplete my masks, menstrual supplies, and meds, I should have room for a few small souvenirs

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Wearing: jeans, wool long sleeved shirt, crew neck sweater, the usual underbits—notably my bra with the thicker underwire, black shoes I can walk all day in (25,000 steps) easily, travel belt under clothing

Packing: 

Black Prana pants—these are quick dry, wrinkle free, have a subtle zippable pocket, and fold down very compactly

1 synthetic dressier blouse

1 base layer shirt that I am using as a pajamas shirt (traveling with family, so no pajamas bottom)/extra warm layering piece if I need it

2 spare pairs unders, 3 pairs wool socks (anticipating rainy fall weather, I like to sleep in dry clean wool socks if in a building where they turn the heat off at night—not uncommon in Europe), comfy sports bra

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/slibb-hanger-with-8-grip-clips-00499004/ This, to dry my undies and socks at night for a few of the nights we wont be in a house and need to do sink laundry because of travel plans

Laundry detergent sheets (can tear a bit up and handwash with them)

My thule tech case with chargers, adapters, spare battery https://www.thule.com/en-us/organizers/electronic-organizers/thule-subterra-powershuttle-mini-_-3204137

menstrual supplies—I have allergies to a lot of products, and although my cycles are whacked with perimenopause, it looks likely this is going to happen on my trip

Medicines—bottles decanted into pill baggies with pharmacy labels attached (full quart sized bag of these)

travel toiletries—minimal, will stop in if more is needed—quart sized ziplock for these, foldable toothbrush

packable shopping bag (folds down to 2”x3” size)

Outside pocket of bag: foldable spork in a sandwich ziplock, pen, tiny notepad, mints, pocket kleenex, tiny bottle of advil, a couple of doses of loperamide, a few bandaids, handwashing soap sheets https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Disposable-Scented-Foaming-Confetti/dp/B09N74RVX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=soap+sheets&qid=1697842365&sr=8-5

Kf94 face masks

Clearly, I don’t mind doing laundry on the go, but I can go three days between laundry if needed. 

If I was going at a different time of year, I would travel with a wool dress, a cardigan, a shirt, and a pair of yoga pants that look like leggings and that would be my personal item capsule wardrobe. My feet are just being grouchy enough that shoe choice is demanding I take two pairs of trousers instead of a dress for a better mix. 

Fwiw, we are all traveling this way—the Kanken backpack I am taking is trickier to pack than the  CabinMax bags off of amazon. The Kanken has a foam removable support inside, though, and if we get stuck for hours in a crowded airport, I need the foam pad for a seat cushion off of the floor. The other advantage of traveling personal item sized is that if you have to check out of your hotel but are still sightseeing before you depart the city that day, you can easily take your bag with you.

ETA: once I deplete my masks, menstrual supplies, and meds, I should have room for a few small souvenirs

That is awesome.   I might need 2 pairs of shoes as we are hiking as well.  I can backpack for 5 days in a backpack Including food, water,stove, tent, sleeping bag and air mattress.

I just never know what to bring to wear.   Layers are good.  We will be there in April so weather could be quite variable.

I will also need a Cpap (but that doesn’t count) and will have my kindle.

52 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Wow!  That is packing light.  I could never get by with one pair of shoes.  I have some comfy shoes that I can walk in a lot, but not on many consecuitve days.  My feet seem to need a break from any particular pair of shoes every few days.

Do you wash your jeans while traveling?  I have given up on traveling with jeans because I find that they are just too difficult to wash and dry on the go.

We are staying in a couple of different air bnbs that list (and show photos of) both a washer and dryer. I will wash my jeans then. 

On trips without access to laundry facilities, I prefer to travel with mostly wool clothing. I get more re-wears, it dries pretty quickly on just a hangar, and because I buy fine merino weaves, it packs down pretty compactly even before I zip the compression cube.

On our last trip this summer I took two pairs of shoes, and when I do that I have to bump up to carryon bag. It’s more comfy to travel carryon bag—but I prefer to stay in a long time in one place if I am doing that. This trip has a lot of hopping, and I am 100% over dragging a lot of luggage places.