Menu

Creating crafting items

ProudGrandma

So... I am going to try my hand at a couple crafts that look somewhat interesting to me...crochet,  macrame  and felting...but I am looking at the practical side of it too... what do you with the things you make.  Those little crocheted animals are so cute... but I certainly don't need them sitting around either.  

I know I won't start with a more complex project... but... just thinking ahead...

What are your thoughts?

Edited by kfeusse
  • Like 1

Garment sewing is one of my mainstays as is knitting. In general, both lead to practical outcomes although I may have a few too many handknitted pairs of socks (despite regularly knitting socks for family members).

One of my "impractical" crafts is embroidery.  I embroider small pieces (often Cozy Blue kits). Last December, a neighbor came over as I was finishing up a piece that I had planned to leave in the hoop, a gift for a friend.  I figured she could hang it on a wall.  Neighbor took one look then asked, "But what is she going to do with that??"  I since asked friend and said that I could make something with it but my friend likes having it on her wall in the hoop.  So alrighty then.

Lately though I have been piecing my embroidered pieces into throw pillows.  Practical?  Maybe, maybe not, but I like them.

One thing about crafting is finding your joy through the work.  I am a knitter but I hate knitting lace hence I don't knit shawls (since they are usually lacey).  Sock knitting is a comfort craft for me.  This is not the case for many knitters!

I have some Kanzashi flower makers somewhere.  One of my friends is Barbie mad at the moment.  I thought I'd make her some pink flower pins to jazz up her life. She may roll her eyes and toss them--and that is OK too. This is the risk with gifting crafted items.  The recipient may not share your joy which can be a real bummer if you've put many hours and much love into a project.

About those little crocheted animals...If they bring you joy, I say embrace it. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

So... I am going to try my hand at a couple crafts that look somewhat interesting to me...crochet,  macrame  and felting...but I am looking at the practical side of it too... what do you with the things you make.  Those little crocheted animals are so cute... but I certainly don't need them sitting around either.  

I know I won't start with a more complex project... but... just thinking ahead...

What are your thoughts?

If they are good enough quality you could put them in OCC boxes. Maybe there is a school nearby where teachers would like such things for their grab boxes (or your church could use items)

The Pi/Pa BLAST group through AHG is also usually looking for donations they could use as door prizes for the teens.

A friend of mine makes the crochetted animals and posts them on Facebook. Occasionally she'll make one for a friend. And they look adorable. Makes me wish I could crochet instead of knit! 🙂

Edited by vonfirmath

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

If they are good enough quality you could put them in OCC boxes. Maybe there is a school nearby where teachers would like such things for their grab boxes (or your church could use items)

The Pi/Pa BLAST group through AHG is also usually looking for donations they could use as door prizes for the teens.

A friend of mine makes the crochetted animals and posts them on Facebook. Occasionally she'll make one for a friend. And they look adorable. Makes me wish I could crochet instead of knit! 🙂

Sorry for asking... but what is an OCC box and Pi/PA blast group? 

I never thought using them as door prizes... or give aways. Nice thought.  Thanks. 

43 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

Sorry for asking... but what is an OCC box and Pi/PA blast group? 

I never thought using them as door prizes... or give aways. Nice thought.  Thanks. 

Operation Christmas Child

Pioneer/Patriots -- the 7th grade and older group in AHG (American Heritage Girls). BLAST is a girl leadership conference here in Texas geared to that age group run annually by volunteers

• Thanks 1

RACK-random acts of crochet kindness. Kinf of like the friendship rocks. One of the RACKers here hides two a week and posts clues to where on FB. 

I put little crafts I make in my Little Free library, and sometimes make stuff for giveaways at events. 

• Like 3

You can make dishcloths too with cotton yarn. I love my crocheted and knitted dish cloths!

All three of those crafts (depending on what type of felting) are good for making purses and bags besides donation-friendly items mentioned.

We have a charitable org here that has both a store side for things they can sell but can’t give away and a donation side where they take information and then bundle kids’ items and some household items like sheets, and they give them to families in need, frequently people who are taking in grandkids unexpectedly, etc. Sometimes they ask for handmade toys, but it’s always good to ask ahead about what they will take.

• Like 3

My grandmother was a toy maker. She would fill the spare room bed with them, then find someone to sell them for. Usually it'd be a fundraiser for the local fire brigade.

My crocheting friend doesn't make tailored garments, but makes lots of vests and jackets out of basic shapes.

I've bought the occasional small animal toy as a Christmas decoration.

Felting can be used for oven mitts. Somehow I always need oven mitts.

Crocheted baby blankets are the BEST since they can't suffocate if they wriggle down under them.

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

The little crocheted animals (amigurumi) can be used as Christmas ornaments, just add a loop for a ribbon or use those metal hooks. DD was into felting for a while and made a bunch of cute little animals that I turned into ornaments.

Now that is a great idea too. Thanks.  

3 hours ago, kfeusse said:

That is my fear... and so not sure if this is the hobby I want to do or not.  But then I think of other things and think the same thing. 

Don't think of it as "THE hobby you want to do". It can be a fun new experience,  learning a new thing is good for the brain, and you can just have a few enjoyable months with it and then maybe stop. It doesn't need to become your "thing", but it could be one of many different interests 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Don't think of it as "THE hobby you want to do". It can be a fun new experience,  learning a new thing is good for the brain, and you can just have a few enjoyable months with it and then maybe stop. It doesn't need to become your "thing", but it could be one of many different interests 

Good points.  Thanks for that. 

Go for it! Creating things is fun, and you can try different things over time. I used to enjoy doing a couple different crafts, then I had no time. Now my "craft" is my garden and indoor plants, and my other hobbies are outdoor physical activities and agility with my border collie.

I was contemplating making a couple macrame plant hangers for some of my indoor plants. I used to do that back in elementary school - a life-time ago! Is was huge in the 70s, but seemed to go out of fashion. It's back again. I wonder if rug hooking will ever make a comeback? I did that in the 70s, too.

• Like 3

I knit dishcloths and use them daily. They are not nice enough to give as gifts - I knit mostly to keep my hands busy when watching a movie or something, so they are very plain and there are mistakes! I have knitted some scarves too, which I use myself (because mistakes) but if I was more dedicated to the craft and did a better job, I'd give them away (gifts or donations). 

My favorite craft is counted cross stitch. I have probably 30 finished projects in a box. I loved stitching them, but I never get around to the finish - framing, pillow, whatever. But I've also done some little Christmas ornaments. I've also done some crewel embroidery ornaments. I like small projects best.

Consider this your dabbling period. Don't think about the scads of finished items you are about to produce, because that puts pressure on you to actually produce them, and may hold you back from trying new things. 

By the way, I learned sewing, macrame, cross stitch, and crewel in school back in the '70s. Home ec, of course, but then in high school there was an elective class on handcrafts. I loved that so much. I introduced a lot of crafts in my homeschool.

My daughter was big on quilling for a while, but I don't have the manual dexterity for it. She made greeting cards for special people/occasions. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jane in NC said:

One of my "impractical" crafts is embroidery.  I embroider small pieces (often Cozy Blue kits). Last December, a neighbor came over as I was finishing up a piece that I had planned to leave in the hoop, a gift for a friend.  I figured she could hang it on a wall.  Neighbor took one look then asked, "But what is she going to do with that??"  I since asked friend and said that I could make something with it but my friend likes having it on her wall in the hoop.  So alrighty then.

Oh those kits look great! I'm thinking of getting back to crewel and this would be a good start, I like the look of a piece "framed" in the hoop and have actually completed a couple which my daughter asked for. I'm stuck on the finishing (as always) and want her to take care of that part, but really I should just find a good tutorial and get it done. 

• Like 1

If I'm not making gifts, then I making things I can use, such as cards. I love papercrafting and giving cards is always a joy for me. I love to cross stitch and if it isn't a gift then I make something for my walls or to make into pillows.` My favorite is to choose difficult and big projects so that they take a year to make, even sewing every day. That way I get the joy of the craft without having a lot of finished projects. I also enjoy English Paper Piecing for the same reason. Quilting is another love and making small wallsized projects are fun to decorate my craft room with. I have many hobbies but I do try not to make things without a purpose but not always. There are times I make things just for the fun of it and that's ok too.

• Like 2

I macremed  my dd a very cute owl wall hanging last year for Christmas...  I also made some cute angel wall hangings for Christmas gifts for extended family.

Every year my girls (all adults now) get 'Mommy Hugs'-- various items I knit or crochet like gloves, hand-warmers, hats, scarves... I really want to learn how to knit socks-- my hands are too riddled with arthritis to use needles so I recently purchased a sock loom as I enjoy loom knitting (double knit loom/rake) as it makes the BEST scarves.  My youngest lives in Colorado-- I just finished making 9 of her dance friends coordinating scarves... currently I'm making her boyfriend a few Mommy Hugs (dark green wool blend and a textured grey) as he is from California (LA) and still has not learned how to dress for WINTER in Colorado!

I made my oldest dd a 'retro' granny square throw blanket--this will be her Mommy Hug for the year.  My other girls already have a few from me...

For little items or for learning new stitches I make dishcloths.. you can get large inexpensive 'cones' of Sugar and Cream brand at most craft stores or Walmart (usually on the bottom shelf in yarn area).  I like using the beige color with confetti blobs--sure they will bleach out-- but I hate just making plain white ones...

I also like using cotton 'scrubby' yarn to make face cloths... I have a cute leaf pattern.  My dds really like these.

A few weeks ago I crochetted my youngest a few summer halter tops-- they turned out so cute and only took an evening each to make.

I dabble in paper crafting-- I made wall hangings and lots of fancy Christmas cards last year using my Cricut.  I've recently used the Cricut to make some decorated (iron-on) t-shirts for me and my grandson... 

Today's adventure is tie-dying t-shirts for me and my grandson-- then this weekend I will make iron-on decals with my Cricut to put on them...

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I macremed  my dd a very cute owl wall hanging last year for Christmas...  I also made some cute angel wall hangings for Christmas gifts for extended family.

Every year my girls (all adults now) get 'Mommy Hugs'-- various items I knit or crochet like gloves, hand-warmers, hats, scarves... I really want to learn how to knit socks-- my hands are too riddled with arthritis to use needles so I recently purchased a sock loom as I enjoy loom knitting (double knit loom/rake) as it makes the BEST scarves.  My youngest lives in Colorado-- I just finished making 9 of her dance friends coordinating scarves... currently I'm making her boyfriend a few Mommy Hugs (dark green wool blend and a textured grey) as he is from California (LA) and still has not learned how to dress for WINTER in Colorado!

I made my oldest dd a 'retro' granny square throw blanket--this will be her Mommy Hug for the year.  My other girls already have a few from me...

For little items or for learning new stitches I make dishcloths.. you can get large inexpensive 'cones' of Sugar and Cream brand at most craft stores or Walmart (usually on the bottom shelf in yarn area).  I like using the beige color with confetti blobs--sure they will bleach out-- but I hate just making plain white ones...

I also like using cotton 'scrubby' yarn to make face cloths... I have a cute leaf pattern.  My dds really like these.

A few weeks ago I crochetted my youngest a few summer halter tops-- they turned out so cute and only took an evening each to make.

I dabble in paper crafting-- I made wall hangings and lots of fancy Christmas cards last year using my Cricut.  I've recently used the Cricut to make some decorated (iron-on) t-shirts for me and my grandson... 

Today's adventure is tie-dying t-shirts for me and my grandson-- then this weekend I will make iron-on decals with my Cricut to put on them...

Wow.... you do a lot of really cool things... love it.  I might have to ask you for some patterns if I find one of these ideas works for me.  

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

I haven't read all the responses, but here are a few things I do

1. Charity crafting - you may check locally first.  Hats, blanets, mittens, scarves are popular charity projects.  If you like to create creatures, there is the mother bear project, I am sure there are others out there 
    http://motherbearproject.org/?fbclid=IwAR1LZ0Qv5mmrqcmnMBRrGMvlVprEvgaJJSUa39-2JAHft6x3ymZX3G8cVxo
  2. My grandmother used to do a slew of beautiful heirloom quality mostly crocheted Christmas ornaments she gifted everyone every year. She died 13 years ago, these are still our primary decorations.
  3. I find someone at home can almost always use a hat, mittens, socks, etc.  Mittens especially are our downfall.  
  4. Gifting - I especially LOVE making stuff for new babies.  
  5. Small thank you gifts.  Like my daughter was in a long running theater production and I crocheted 25 or so small related items to gift the cast and production team
  6. Home decor - like I did a bunch of crocheted pumpkins I put out on my table one year, still using them.  Things like this can make nice housewarming gifts, etc.
  7. I've made items to donate for silent auctions.  

I find, unless I'm doing a craft constantly (impossible), there is almost never enough time to make everything I want to make/finish.  I always have several things going.  My other recommendation is, only gift to those who will truly appreciate and enjoy the items. Some people just don't "get" hand crafted items and they don't use them.  Some people will sing your praises for years.  I don't take it personally if they don't at all.  I just would rather give to those who will treasure and use this kind of thing.

If you're new to fiber work, the round hat looms are a great way to start and are good charity items too.  You can typically make a simple hat with bulky yarn in a few hour and it's a nice way to get used to working with yarn and tension.  Kids like doing them too

https://www.michaels.com/product/loops-threads-knit-quick-knitting-loom-set-10356126?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Knitting+%26+Crochet_N_PMAX_BOPIS_N-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-18514200212_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-10356126&gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfzRj4nyWoecRzlqqq2PCAW23LL_wIi__iSUBLeS1MFSp8bvs9ixcMEaAk6uEALw_wcB

If you want to learn crochet amigurumi, if you learn to chain and single crochet, then move on to starting in the round and increasing, you can start doing simple creatures.  I've taught people how to crochet with the goal of moving directly to creatures.

Edited by catz
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, catz said:

f you're new to fiber work, the round hat looms are a great way to start and are good charity items too.  You can typically make a simple hat with bulky yarn in a few hour and it's a nice way to get used to working with yarn and tension.  Kids like doing them too

https://www.michaels.com/product/loops-threads-knit-quick-knitting-loom-set-10356126?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Knitting+%26+Crochet_N_PMAX_BOPIS_N-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-18514200212_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-10356126&gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfzRj4nyWoecRzlqqq2PCAW23LL_wIi__iSUBLeS1MFSp8bvs9ixcMEaAk6uEALw_wcB

If you want to learn crochet amigurumi, if you learn to chain and single crochet, then move on to starting in the round and increasing, you can start doing simple creatures.  I've taught people how to crochet with the goal of moving directly to creatures.

YES. I love loom knitting.

My daughter made a bunch of hats

I made doll blankets and stuffed cats. Somehow my hats never seemed to come out right.

• Like 1

I'm a little late to this conversation, but when I started out learning to knit I did the horrible, 1980's book that it came with.  Nobody wanted that stuff.  When I learned to crochet I decided to start with something usable, an adorable baby hat for my friend's newborn.  It was a lot more fun and I picked up more techniques than I would have going through a book for the exercises.

You might consider focusing on creating a usable aspect to what you want to make.  Instead of just little figures, think about maybe small Christmas ornaments, pretend food to donate to a local nursery center, a set of something...

33 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I'm a little late to this conversation, but when I started out learning to knit I did the horrible, 1980's book that it came with.  Nobody wanted that stuff.  When I learned to crochet I decided to start with something usable, an adorable baby hat for my friend's newborn.  It was a lot more fun and I picked up more techniques than I would have going through a book for the exercises.

You might consider focusing on creating a usable aspect to what you want to make.  Instead of just little figures, think about maybe small Christmas ornaments, pretend food to donate to a local nursery center, a set of something...

that is a good way of looking at it....thanks. 

We had a ladies group "adopt" our grade 2/3 classroom and send us stuff we needed like glue sticks but also things like little knitted hats and mitts which we kept for  kids who lost their mitts.  They also included things like little knitted dolls that my class adored playing with for indoor recess.  Maybe there is a school near-by that might welcome your little crocheted animals? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthernBeth said:

We had a ladies group "adopt" our grade 2/3 classroom and send us stuff we needed like glue sticks but also things like little knitted hats and mitts which we kept for  kids who lost their mitts.  They also included things like little knitted dolls that my class adored playing with for indoor recess.  Maybe there is a school near-by that might welcome your little crocheted animals? 

that's a nice thought.  I like it.  I used to be a teacher, so I totally understand needing extra hats and mittens....plus new things to play with.  thanks.

2 minutes ago, Beth S said:

I've practiced hand-lettering, & make postcards for friends' birthdays, Bible verses for encouragement, etc.

It's really inexpensive (Hobby Lobby card stock and Tombow markers) . . . and lots of Youtube instruction!

oh my handwriting is HORRIBLE....I would have to go back to school to learn to write nicely....(If they even teach handwriting in school anymore).   But I have to say, I love homemade cards....I keep those....the store ones, I trash, nearly every time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

oh my handwriting is HORRIBLE....I would have to go back to school to learn to write nicely....(If they even teach handwriting in school anymore).   But I have to say, I love homemade cards....I keep those....the store ones, I trash, nearly every time. 

You don't need to go to school. Just intentional practice would help! Sometimes you can find a Calligraphy class at Hobby Lobby/Michaels/et al if you wanted to learn a new kind of lettering

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

• Like 3