Menu

Help me think this through (vacation/house selling)

DawnM

The ladies are coming to clean on the 17th.   Pictures of the house are slated for the 18th.   It will go live on the 21st.

We thought maybe we would take a little week long trip to Disney and be out of the area for a week to keep it pristine.   

But now we are having 2nd thoughts because:

• The pool needs tending to daily if we want to keep it looking perfect
  • If there is any rain or wind, the leaves and pine needles go all over the pool deck and into the pool and need to be cleaned out
  • DH is worried that if anything needs to be done/fixed/etc....while we are gone, we won't be able to get back to the house to fix it easily
  • We will have both dogs (ours and our foster summer dog)

So we are mulling over two options:

• DH stays here with the dogs and the pool to care for it while we go to Florida without him.   He says he is fine with that.   I am not sure I want to do that.
  • Rent a local lake house for 4 days that is close enough to come back to the house daily to check on things, etc....just rent like Thur-Monday.

Just an FYI:  Since our neighborhood sells quickly, it is anticipated that the Saturday it is live will be pretty full of showings, so not just a "go somewhere for a couple of hours" type deal, we will most likely need to be gone a full 12 hours for showings.   At that point, with dogs, I would rather have a place like a house or hotel to go to.

I kind of feel more comfortable with a lake house and doing Florida later in the summer after the house has sold.   But maybe I am stressing too much over nothing?   I can't decide.

• Like 4

Can you board your dogs?  

What does your husband think he would rather do?  

It comes across like your husband wants to stay in the area unless you can find someone to be on-call for the house, which the realtor may be able to do.  

Personally I would board the dogs and go to Disney World, if that were an option.  Especially if you might not get another vacation this summer?  

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Can you board your dogs?  

What does your husband think he would rather do?  

It comes across like your husband wants to stay in the area unless you can find someone to be on-call for the house, which the realtor may be able to do.  

Personally I would board the dogs and go to Disney World, if that were an option.  Especially if you might not get another vacation this summer?  

The dogs will be $80 per day to board, so an 8 day stay will be $640.   And we can't board the foster/babysitting dog because I have no proof of vaccines!   We have to take the dogs at this point.   Although a house with dogs is another $600 anyway for pet fees.   

Realtor said it will most likely be around $40/day to have someone come out and take care of everything, even if there is nothing wrong with it.   So that is another $320.   We are willing to pay, but they will only be minding the pool area, not anything that might come up with the house itself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You'd have to pay me a huge sum of money to go to Disney or anywhere else in Florida in July. So obviously my vote is for the lake house.

I don't mind Florida in the summer, but I would not be at Disney in the summer.  Heat and crazy crowds.  Florida in the summer is pool time, indoor things, and the beach.

• Like 3

We went to Disney about 4 weeks ago, and it was in the mid 90s, so we are aware.  It isn't my favorite time to go either, but now that I work in public education, it is harder to take off work to go.

• Like 1

I would do the local house.  I wouldn't be able to enjoy Disney because in the back of my head I'd still be worrying about the what ifs with being so far away.  Local would be easier because I would know, I could get back if I needed to attend to something.

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

We went to Disney about 4 weeks ago, and it was in the mid 90s, so we are aware.  It isn't my favorite time to go either, but now that I work in public education, it is harder to take off work to go.

I would think crowds would be worse now as more schools are out vs 4 weeks ago.  And being there 4 weeks ago I wouldn't want to go back unless I lived really close.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Find a local retreat where you can take the dogs and be offsite but nearby. The Disney plan is bonkers. 

Yeah, it morphed into Disney.   My 19 year old hasn't been in years and wants to go.   We started out saying we would head to the beach, 3.5 hours away, then it turned into a week long trip, then Disney.

But I think you are right, it is a bonkers plan.  

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, it morphed into Disney.   My 19 year old hasn't been in years and wants to go.   We started out saying we would head to the beach, 3.5 hours away, then it turned into a week long trip, then Disney.

But I think you are right, it is a bonkers plan.  

Hmm now this changes it for me. 

So everyone in the family didn't go on the last Disney trip?

If you do the Lake house, will you have time/money to do Disney this summer or year? 

Judging by my Florida friends and family posts, as well as a lot of sudden vacations out of the state, Florida has been far more hot than typical for July in the last week or so, and is expected to still be hot. I’d stay local & go in August. Besides, Florida schools often start in August so it will be less crowded. 

Edited by Katy
Multiple typos

The heat and humidity and are much different than 4 weeks ago. Even Floridians are complaining every 2 seconds about the misery of the heat. I've had to start taking drinks in small coolers filled with ice with me when I go to run errands, otherwise I spend a fortune buying them, it's just that bad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Hmm now this changes it for me. 

So everyone in the family didn't go on the last Disney trip?

If you do the Lake house, will you have time/money to do Disney this summer or year? 

Yes, we will.   We got annual passes this year, so we can go back and just pay for lodging and food.  We typically do one meal in the park and the rest in the rental.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

I kind of feel more comfortable with a lake house and doing Florida later in the summer after the house has sold.   But maybe I am stressing too much over nothing?

I'd prefer this, myself. Gets you out of the way in a relaxing setting, you don't have to worry about the dogs, and you aren't trying to enjoy Disney with your mind back in NC.

Will your realtor make sure the house looks good for the showings while you are gone? Especially when shown by all different realtors? Before showings, I’d always make sure all the window treatments were open, all the lights on, everything exactly as it should be.

I can’t tell you how many times the realtor would turn off all the lights, close blinds, or just do things that make the house not at its best for the next showing. I even had a couple times where I came home to an unflushed toilet, toys moved, soap and towel messy on the counter. 😞

All that to say…I would struggle at being any distance away and not be able to check that the house was always at its best. I also know that once showings start, there are so many phone calls with offers/questions. I would want to make sure I was somewhere I could fully concentrate and also have good reception. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Lake house.

Do Disney later, when the house stuff is settled. It will still be there. 

Well, I heard it was moving to Louisiana!  hahaha!   Disney is not happy with the political tide in FL right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Yes, we will.   We got annual passes this year, so we can go back and just pay for lodging and food.  We typically do one meal in the park and the rest in the rental.

If all the family especially the kid who wants to go can go later, I would go later.  Do the lake house thing and then Disney later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is this serious??  They are moving?

No, not really  Disney was moving some offices from Burbank and FL tried to do something with taxing them up the wazzu so the discussion started.  I don't think it can happen, it is so much stuff, but they nixed moving the Burbank office.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Another thought. We recently sold a rental house we were not living in. We often drove over after a showing to find all lights still on, doors unlocked…

We always reported it to our realtor,  but she wasn’t the one doing most of the showings and all she could do was comment to the other “not very professional” realtors who were showing the house. 

It would have been very nerve wracking to be be several hours away.

I hope your house sells quickly and you won’t have to deal with all this stuff!

• Like 2

I am always in favor of more Disney trips, and I would go if dh was fine with missing it. 

I'd feel like he could do anything related to the house that I could do, so no need for us to both be there. 

The parks have long hours in the summer, so it's easy to skip the worst of the heat. 

52 minutes ago, katilac said:

I am always in favor of more Disney trips, and I would go if dh was fine with missing it. 

I'd feel like he could do anything related to the house that I could do, so no need for us to both be there. 

The parks have long hours in the summer, so it's easy to skip the worst of the heat. 

I think this may be where we are leaning.   DH stays home with the dogs and takes care of the pool/yard/dogs/house and the kids and I will go to Disney.  If Disney is too hot, we will work around it and swim a lot and take it easy.

Haven't made firm plans yet, but this is on the table.

And I just got information that Disney has the lowest crowds in July it has had in years (not counting the 2 Covid years), but Disney has said they are surprised the crowds have been so low.   My thinking is that people went over the past 18-24 months to make up for no travel during Covid and now they are done for a while.