Menu

Oh lets REALLY have some fun...

The legal issues make it morally wrong, isn't part of morality following the laws of the land?

Anyway, no, I did a paper on the medicinal properties of marijuana in highschool (of course), and it's pretty incredible, the amazing uses of wacky tobaccy.

Actually in a few states it is now legal to own a small amount for "personal use".

I don't use it anymore, but I know people who do. I have always suspected there were medicinal applications, and like any medication it needs to be used properly.

I have never really thought about it. If it harms your body (which it does, to some extent depending on the drug), then it goes against the Bible where it says that your body is a temple. However, I am not sure I agree with "morally wrong" - depends on your morals and where they come from, I guess. At Thanksgiving, my mom and I were out shopping and she skipped a line of about 30 people and paid for her item without waiting in line. I found that to be morally wrong.

I have never really thought about it. If it harms your body (which it does, to some extent depending on the drug), then it goes against the Bible where it says that your body is a temple.

The only drug I am discussing is marijuana. It is the only one I question because it is a plant created by God. Do you suppose He had a purpose for it? Perhaps medicinal as lionfamily mentioned?

Assuming it became legal, I still waffle on this issue.

I know a lot of people who smoked a lot of pot and were able to walk away from it without a problem. I also knew people who were able to smoke pot occasionally without needing more.

However, it can also be terribly addicting to some people and it saps the motivation to do anything right out of you. A very close friend of mine was addicted to pot for about 10 years. He finally gave it up and then was able to go to school and start a career that he's very successful in now. But, with the pot he wasn't able to do anything and didn't really care, either.

Then there are also people who start with pot but feel the need to escalate to more potent drugs that do a lot of damage.

I think there are some serious risks to smoking pot, but I'm not sure if I would agree that smoking the odd joint would be "morally wrong". I'm not interested in smoking pot (I really don't need another excuse to sit on the couch and eat bad things). I also think that alcohol can be a lot more damaging that pot.

...morally wrong, except when there is a strong and overriding medical need like cancer treatment or very severe pain management or something like that, and that it is ALWAYS morally wrong to use it and then drive or be in charge of others (especially children).

I think that if it were legal, I would still consider it morally wrong to smoke it but maybe not to eat it in small quantities like in (ahem) certain desserts. Wrong to smoke it because it's so much stronger that way, and especially because it forces it on other people--utterly unacceptable. OK to eat it because it can be very mild that way, a slower effect I understand, and also just private to you, and so moderation and semi-medicinal use is more possible. Kind of analogous, in my mind, to the difference between Native Americans of the Andes Mountains chewing the odd coca leaf here and there to help with the altitude contrasted with your typical crackhead.

I do think that the issue of your body being a temple of the Holy Spirit comes into play a bit, but the more relevant Bible passage, to my mind, is "Be not drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Holy Spirit." So to be 'high' or addicted to the point of driving out or overriding the promptings of the Holy Spirit is always wrong, no matter whether the 'high' is from MJ, coffee, alcohol, video games, or TWTM boards, LOL.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Aside from the sticky legal issue, which is quickly becoming irrelevant in many states...

Do you think it is morally wrong to smoke marijuana?

Not morally wrong if done so in moderation and causes no danger to others.

I guess that's the libertarian in me speaking. But anything is subject to

abuses, and at that point, if it infringes on rights of others, yes it is

morally wrong. Clear as mud?

I guess that's the libertarian in me speaking. But anything is subject to

abuses, and at that point, if it infringes on rights of others, yes it is

morally wrong. Clear as mud?

I'm trackin' your vibe :coolgleamA: and :iagree:

I believe that there are laws against things that I do not believe to be wrong. Generally I chose to obey these laws not because I believe them to be right but because I don't want the hassle of dealing with authorities over items of small or no consequence. On the other hand, there are some things that are against the law that I do not believe should be and that I believe in strongly enough to commit a willful act of civil disobedience to do anyhow. Some examples of this would be: some of my children were born illegally at home, school illegally at home, not immunized against state law. I do not believe that the rights of the government trumps the rights of man in these cases, nor do I believe that these things are inherently wrong therefore I can live with myself when I chose not to obey these laws.

I do not believe that marijuana is inherently or morally wrong. This is one of the laws that I obey because I don't want to risk the consequences, mostly due to having children in the home. However, once all said children are out of the home, there is a good chance that there will be some civil disobedience on this issue if it is not already legal by then.

Assuming it became legal, I still waffle on this issue.

I know a lot of people who smoked a lot of pot and were able to walk away from it without a problem. I also knew people who were able to smoke pot occasionally without needing more.

However, it can also be terribly addicting to some people and it saps the motivation to do anything right out of you. A very close friend of mine was addicted to pot for about 10 years. He finally gave it up and then was able to go to school and start a career that he's very successful in now. But, with the pot he wasn't able to do anything and didn't really care, either.

Then there are also people who start with pot but feel the need to escalate to more potent drugs that do a lot of damage.

I think there are some serious risks to smoking pot, but I'm not sure if I would agree that smoking the odd joint would be "morally wrong". I'm not interested in smoking pot (I really don't need another excuse to sit on the couch and eat bad things). I also think that alcohol can be a lot more damaging that pot.

I have done quite a bit of research on the subject of marijuana and there is quite a bit of faulty information out there. Regular marijuana as grown in nature - not laced with other substances, in neither physically or psychologically addicting. It is not really a gateway drug nor does it neccesarily lead to escalation. It actually has quite a few medicinal purposes and quite a few Americans would have less drug, alcohol, mental or even physical health problems if it was legal. A lot of prescription drugs with known addiction problems and serious side effects could easily be done away with if it was legal. There are a few medical problems that cannot be treated as well with nay other drug. And finally it is much safer than alcohol which is legal. Of course, moderation is the key just as with everything else. Precautions should be taken just the same as with any mind altering substances.

There are a few cons as well. People are altering the natural concentrations of THC which makes it much stronger and therefore more difficult to regulate the dosage. Also it has many of the same disadvantages as tobacco. If smoked like the Native Americans did there is very low rates of lung and cancer problems. If smoked at considerably higher rates then the risks of lung and cancer problems increase dramatically.

The problem is that it affects judgement and the smoker becomes dangerous to themself and others. I have worked around people that were smoking and they became plain stupid. They returned from breaks and would think a clumsy move on their part was funny. I've seen the medicinal use become habit forming in a friend's husband and about ruin their marriage. It's playing with fire IMO.

No, it is not fundamentally immoral when used responsibly. No more immoral than responsible use of alcohol or tobacco or prescription amphetamines, barbiturates, tranquilizers, or sedatives. And probably less addictive and damaging.

Our marijuana laws are terribly unjust and hypocritical when compared to alcohol and tobacco laws. Former president Carter recognized this and recommended decriminalizing marijuana. Our irrational drug laws are part of the reason why we have 25% of world's prison population but only 5% of world's population.

Actually, I'd prefer that drugs be legalized in general and go the way of eighteenth amendment. Continue to fund programs that *honestly* educate the public about consequences of drug use. Offer addiction rehab services to users who are genuinely interested. Otherwise, leave users be as long as they are using peacefully in privacy of their own homes. I'm not much on saving people from themselves.

I could possibly have benefitted from marijuana during pregnancy when I suffered from severe dehydrating hyperemesis gravidarum for 13 - 16 weeks. As it is now, I would not seek out medical pot since it is illegal. I would not want to risk the consequences.

:lol: Dh and I were at Borders tonight, in the gardening section. I had to point out the book on How to grow Marijauna indoors. I kid you not!

And to answer your question

Yes I do. Except for real, serious, medical reasons. Like cancer patients.

I think that any kind of addiction or chronic over-indulgence is wrong. Wrong for the person and wrong for society as a whole.

Having said that, I have been known to over indulge in Rowntrees Fruit Gums on the rare occasions that I manage to get my greedy hands on some.

No, I dont have a moral issue with it UNTIL it seriously affects the lives of children, which I was aware it did in one case.

I truly don't see any difference in "morality" between alcohol and dope- BTDT with both and no longer interested. Having not drunk much alcohol in the last 10 years since dh went sober, its interesting I dont have a very high opinion of that stuff, either.

It was funny, I never smoked much but long after I gave up, I found out my mum had taken it up- for medicinal purposes as she has chronic pain with fibromyalgia- her new husband interoduced it to her. So I would go and visit sometimes and be offered some and refuse. I mean, my mother!

The only drug I am discussing is marijuana. It is the only one I question because it is a plant created by God. Do you suppose He had a purpose for it? Perhaps medicinal as lionfamily mentioned?

Cocaine is derived from coca leaves that have many uses besides manufacturing a certain white powder. Coca is a native plant of the Andes, it's been there for a very long time.

Heroin and all opiates are derived from poppies (the pretty red flowers). That's why your drug test can come back positive if you eat poppyseed cake or too many poppyseed bagels. They grow naturally in lots of places, but Afghanistan is probably the biggest producer.

I don't think you can separate marijuana from the harder drugs based on where they come from, although it does require less processing to achieve it's usable form. It's an interesting point.

The legal issues make it morally wrong, isn't part of morality following the laws of the land?

Anyway, no, I did a paper on the medicinal properties of marijuana in highschool (of course), and it's pretty incredible, the amazing uses of wacky tobaccy.

Interesting. I did the same paper in high school and came to the opposite conclusion. Shrug.

No.

Many of the reasons it's illegal has little to do with it's "drug" like properties and more to do with the cotton industry, the drug industry, and even chemical industry. Big business pushed to make it illegal many years ago to protect their products. Sorry I still feel cigarettes & booze are far more dangerous drugs than many of the so-called "illegal" ones you hear everyone rail against.

I don't get why legal drugs are morally OK but illegal ones are not. They are all drugs and can all be abused. Just as food, tv, sex, shopping, etc can also become addictive and abused.

I guess that's the libertarian in me speaking.

...I saw Drew Carey (who self-identifies as a libertarian) define a libertarian as "...a conservative who still gets high".

:)

Just repeating it 'cause I thought it was funny...not commenting or agreeing with him, lol...

Aside from the sticky legal issue, which is quickly becoming irrelevant in many states...

Probably. But I will say this...I'd rather it be legal to smoke pot than to drink. Drunk drivers kill daily...much, much safer to smoke pot. It just kills any ambition you might have.

Just my opinion.

I think the morallity lies with the user no matter what the issue, not only pot. To everything we do there is a moral and an immoral side. I think pot usage for pain relief could be a moral thing. Conversely, pot usage merely to zone out of life and escape reality can be an immoral thing. The same thing can be said of every aspect of what we choose to do. For example, look at the institution of religion. Is it moral or immoral? Look at the immorality that has been commited in its name. Institutional religion (I'm not talking faith here, but the practice of it. You all know I am a Christian and am not bashing my faith) itself is not either moral or immoral. The morality lies with the individual and the choices they make. The same goes with anything I can think of, pot included.

BTW, I have never used drugs other than alcohol and I don't intend to. I also agree with what others have said about the immorality of breaking the law, but beans stated in her original question that we were to ignore that aspect of the subject.

I think this question really begs us to refer back to Bean's question about the need for laws and if people are natually good or bad. We are both. We make choices. Sometimes they are moral and sometimes they are immoral.

A couple things. Like many drugs, it can be good or it can be bad. Because of the bad, it is wrong, imo, to use it recreationally. It is morally wrong, at this time, to use it for any purpose since it's illegal and we are to do as the authorities say as long as it doesn't go against God. If they legalized it for medicinal use, then that would be the same as any other medication. If they legalize it period, it still has the negatives and therefore is like smoking and drinking in excess-still wrong.

Seems to me that it's really no worse than alcohol. It is not logical for alcohol to be legal and marijuana to be illegal.

A friend died of colon cancer. During his long illness he used marijuana to control the nausea caused by the chemo (and maybe for pain?? not sure). If he'd asked me to, I'd have found a way to acquire it for him. (As it was, his wife smoked it, but that's another issue :glare:)

Seems to me that it's really no worse than alcohol. It is not logical for alcohol to be legal and marijuana to be illegal.

A friend died of colon cancer. During his long illness he used marijuana to control the nausea caused by the chemo (and maybe for pain?? not sure). If he'd asked me to, I'd have found a way to acquire it for him. (As it was, his wife smoked it, but that's another issue :glare:)

Isn't it the smoking of it that makes it worse than alcohol? I am surprised that it is illegal and cigarrettes are legal...but I think that is a bell they can't unring...

Hmmm....my DD and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago.

I don't have a problem with marijuana use, medicinal or otherwise, EXCEPT that can effect others who might be with you.** To me, that is when the moral question comes into play. Marijuana is like any other substance. Like cigarettes, alcohol, and improper use of legal prescription drugs, it can have an effect on those around you and should be used with that in mind.

Anything can be addictive: TV, Food, Sex, Computer games, Internet usage, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, .... The list could go on and on and on.

**I base that on my 6th grade experience of the Narcotics Officer coming to our gym class and burning the little marijuana tablet so we'd all know what it smelled like. It gave me a horrific headache and several kids who were closer to the officer got sick. The officer told us then, that people who are sensitive, can be effected (get high) by just the smoke.

**I base that on my 6th grade experience of the Narcotics Officer coming to our gym class and burning the little marijuana tablet so we'd all know what it smelled like. It gave me a horrific headache and several kids who were closer to the officer got sick. The officer told us then, that people who are sensitive, can be effected (get high) by just the smoke.

Wow! What school did you go to??? :D

No. And I think most people blame the "drug" or "plant" when you should be blaming the people. I feel some people just have the addictive gene. As in some people are more prone to become addicted to substances easily and they should know themselves well enough to avoid that. Don't blame a plant because men have abused it and processed it to make these drugs.

The boards have been a little boring lately and needed some livening up!

Morally wrong - no. Everything that is illegal is not morally wrong imo, nor is everything that is legal moral, again imo. I would think morality would need to be applied to the intent of the user.

Tonight, I intend to sit by the fire and have a bottle of wine while nibbling on some cheese and crackers until I feel happy, joyous and ready to begin Christmas vacation. (It's been one LONG week.) Might open a second bottle, at that. Is my intent immoral? I don't think so. If I was smoking marijuana instead of drinking wine, would that make my actions immoral? I don't think so. Because it's illegal, does that make my actions immoral - with the same intent - to relax?

Janet

And, for that matter, MANY legal things are abused every day. I think alcohol kills people WAY more than marijuana, and I think there are MANY prescription drugs that are dangerous AND heavily abused.

Is it morally wrong to take medication for depression? I mean it IS a dependence on a drug. What about anxiety? Frankly, I think a hit off a joint would be better than taking anxiety pills, and it probably wouldn't rot your liver as quickly either.

I would bet that the only thing keeping pot illegal is the drug companies. Gosh knows how much less prescription medication would be used if pot were legal.

So many people who rave about the legalization of marijuana think NOTHING of popping "legal" pills left and right. It's just not any different. ANY addiction is a bad addiction (and morally wrong), and people with addictive personalities will become addicted to anything they use.

Honestly, most people I have seen under the influence of marijuana (including myself) were mellow, calm and pleasant to be around. I just don't see it as having the same violent effects as many other drugs. I think it should be legalized.

With all that said, let me just say that I am TOTALLY against driving under ANY influence, just in case there was any doubt...

...I saw Drew Carey (who self-identifies as a libertarian) define a libertarian as "...a conservative who still gets high".

:)

Just repeating it 'cause I thought it was funny...not commenting or agreeing with him, lol...

LOL. Love Drew Carey. I just wanted to clarify although I'm a libertarian I never have used pot. I am a law-abiding libertarian. :D But if I were on chemo, I would probably say, "D@mn the law."

Edited by Dana in OR
spelling

Cocaine is derived from coca leaves that have many uses besides manufacturing a certain white powder. Coca is a native plant of the Andes, it's been there for a very long time.

Heroin and all opiates are derived from poppies (the pretty red flowers). That's why your drug test can come back positive if you eat poppyseed cake or too many poppyseed bagels. They grow naturally in lots of places, but Afghanistan is probably the biggest producer.

I don't think you can separate marijuana from the harder drugs based on where they come from, although it does require less processing to achieve it's usable form. It's an interesting point.

True. I forgot about these. Both are powerful substances that can be used for their benefits or misused. Edited by beansprouts
toddler on desk

I think the morallity lies with the user no matter what the issue, not only pot. To everything we do there is a moral and an immoral side. I think pot usage for pain relief could be a moral thing. Conversely, pot usage merely to zone out of life and escape reality can be an immoral thing. The same thing can be said of every aspect of what we choose to do. For example, look at the institution of religion. Is it moral or immoral? Look at the immorality that has been commited in its name. Institutional religion (I'm not talking faith here, but the practice of it. You all know I am a Christian and am not bashing my faith) itself is not either moral or immoral. The morality lies with the individual and the choices they make. The same goes with anything I can think of, pot included.

BTW, I have never used drugs other than alcohol and I don't intend to. I also agree with what others have said about the immorality of breaking the law, but beans stated in her original question that we were to ignore that aspect of the subject.

I think this question really begs us to refer back to Bean's question about the need for laws and if people are natually good or bad. We are both. We make choices. Sometimes they are moral and sometimes they are immoral.

This is a very thoughtful post.

While teaching Genesis 3, I told my Sunday School students that every choice we make either brings us closer to God, or creates a desire to hide from Him. This gave them a more concrete method for determining what is right. Where there are grey areas it can come down to the motive, and the person's heart rather than the behavior itself. You are saying that the reason a person is using marijuana is more important than the fact that they are, and I think I agree.

Isn't it the smoking of it that makes it worse than alcohol? I am surprised that it is illegal and cigarrettes are legal...but I think that is a bell they can't unring...

Only if you are smoking in the presence of an unwilling party. Yes, bystanders can definitely get high on the smoke, but they generally aren't there unless they want to be...

Guest janainaz

I don't use it, tried it it in HS and it was not my thing, but I don't think it is "morally wrong". I think God put things here for us that have a purpose. But, I lean more toward the side of it being useful for medicinal purposes. On the other hand, I drink wine. Not every day and not getting drunk, but on the weekend, with dinner - a glass here and there to chill and relax. So, it's subjective. Some might argue that it's "bad" for you. But, so is fast food.

I think of things being "morally" wrong as things that hurt other people and ourselves and it's more in a spiritual sense.