Menu

What do you estimate you have/will have spent on holiday gifts?

What do you estimate you have/will have spent on holiday gifts?  

1. 1. What do you estimate you have/will have spent on holiday gifts?

• $1 - $100
    • $100 - $250
    • $250 - $400
    • $400 - $500
    • $500 - $700
    • $700 - $1000
    • $1000 - $1500
    • more than $1500
    • other

My husband made $500 on an extra job -- and that became our Christmas "budget."

Sister's 3 children -- $100

My parents -- $100

Our 3 children $100 each

Overall, it's going to be a nice Christmas, because there isn't any pressure to scrape together more than what we had. Nice. In fact, my sister emphasized -- Ahem! -- yup, she EMPHASIZED, mind you, that she was NOT getting US anything, just our kids! LOL. You'd have to know my sister to get that one.

Anyway, I'm done shoppin' -- now I just gotta git to wrappin'! If I could get off this board....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We spent a little under $600. I spent about $350 on our 3 kids, maybe another $40 on 3 niece/nephews, and about $200 for a single mom with 2 boys (through the woman's shelter program). We don't buy gifts for adults (most adults around us have the money to gift themselves all year long anyway) and don't exchange gifts with each other.

Edited by jojomojo

It's interesting how many have spent in the neighborhood of $1000 or upwards, given how often people here talk of budgeting, etc. Both on this board and in my "real life", I'm not seeing how most average folks are truly disaffected by the economy...

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but for us we are frugal all year long so that we can splurge at Christmas. My neighbor's children get a lot of stuff all year long. Every week they show up with something different that they have bought at the store. They think we go nuts at Christmas while they only buy their children a few things. I think we probably spend less per year on our children than they do, actually I know we do.

Our budget for Christmas may seem high to some, but it literally includes most of what my kids get during the year. My son has one pair of pants that fit him right now, he'll be getting three more for Christmas. He hasn't gotten new underwear in a year (and he's grown A LOT), he will have some wrapped under the tree. I haven't spent anything in a year on my children or myself for clothes (except one new swimsuit for my middle child) , they will all have plenty of new clothes under the tree. My kids do not ask for anything during the year, they each get a small monthly allowance that they are free to spend. They have saved it since August, to buy a big gift after Christmas.

Yes, they each get a few things from us for their birthdays, but we never just spend on them during the year. We are using 100% cash for our purchases and always do. Yes, they will get a lot of toys, video games, and just stuff, but this is the only time of year we buy them new toys. I like shopping for Christmas, I find the prices this time of year to be the best and everything under the tree will have been bought for between 50%-75% off.

We are very careful with our money all year, our air is set at 85* during the summer, I only buy food on sale, I hang my laundry out, we only use CFL bulbs, we are very careful with every purchase. This means that during the month of December we can splurge. We spend freely this time of the year on our children, on our extended family, and on Charities. And yes, I consider the spending on Charities part of our Christmas budget. We have already given boxes of food at my husbands work, and this weekend we will give gift of toys and food through our neighborhood association.

So, for some it may seem that we haven't cut back, and we haven't for Christmas. But we have cut back in other spending throughout the year so that we could keep our traditions the way they have been. My dh is in banking and we don't know what the future holds job-wise this coming year. But we will manage and we aren't going to stop Christmas on an unknown. Next year we may have to, but this year we choose to cut in our daily lives so that we don't have to cut back our Christmas.

Melissa

I think I spent under $200 for everyone...I found some things on either ebay or used books on Amazon. I also joined Paperback Swap and got some free books.

I'm a little worried that the kids might be disappointed though. For example, ds will only be receiving a Yankees fleece blanket, a Bible cover, some books, some Under Armor for Scout winter camping trips, and some fun stocking stuffers. We've talked about buying less this year but I'm starting to wonder whether I should have bought one super fun gift for each of them instead of such practical items. Too late now I guess....

I haven't added it up (plus I'm not yet finished), but I voted $5-700.

We don't spend much on the boys' gifts. They don't need anything, or have expensive tastes. :) Dh and I also don't spend much on each other.

We buy for two child friends, my parents and dh's parents, my two sisters and their husbands, and two nieces and a nephew (we have special Christmas celebrations with all of the above). So I don't think that budget is too bad.

If you count the $ we spent with World Vision and sent to a family member who needed help this season, the budget would probably be higher.

I seemed to have gone over for everyone else.

I budgeted 250/child for this year (x4 is 100). That's a little drop from last year's budget for my kids. Of course, they are all teens and they generally get an electronic item of some sort, little bit of clothes/necessities and a few fun things. It adds up quickly.

We buy for husband's son and his gf (pregnant for his child). He is, of course, working and on his own so we don't buy like we do for the kids at home.

I bought for my great nieces and nephews this year. That number is growing by leaps and bounds in our large family. This will probably be my last year for that.

We also buy for my Mom, my hubby's dad/wife and mom/husband and I pick up little things for a couple of my sisters and dh's secretary (who always sends me one of those gorgeous ornaments that are painted from the inside).

Yeah, I think it was a little overboard this year. I definitely topped the $1500 mark, and that isn't including the groceries I'll buy to feed dh's family this Sunday and the ham/sandwich rolls I'm bringing to contribute to our family's large Christmas on Christmas Day.

We go all out on each other for the holidays if the money is there. Shockingly enough, some of it is really going to come in. So DH is getting a few thousand spent on him between a new PDA for work and some art for the house he's had his eye on for 2 years.

I'm getting fancy new cookware and some new small appliances and a ton of stuff to start my heirloom garden in the spring.

We are spending less on the kids this year. They are drowing in "stuff." It's the parents' turn this year!

Jen

I think that some people are answering differently than others.

I think some are answering just for their immediate family and not counting what they spend on everyone else. I think some are answering for immediate and extended family. And I think some have more immediate and extending family than others. Kidshappen, for instance, would easily spend more money than many, even if she spent just $50 a kid. I noticed also that some people included what they gave to charity in the form of Christmas gifts. I'm sure many people didn't include that at all.

And then family habits come into play. If a family doesn't normally buy their children toys, games, or books during the year, they might consider Christmas the time to stock up on those things. If someone buys these things as needed during the year, they see no reason to buy a bunch of it simply because it's a holiday.

Interesting.

I think that some people are answering differently than others.

I think some are answering just for their immediate family and not counting what they spend on everyone else. I think some are answering for immediate and extended family. And I think some have more immediate and extending family than others. Kidshappen, for instance, would easily spend more money than many, even if she spent just $50 a kid. I noticed also that some people included what they gave to charity in the form of Christmas gifts. I'm sure many people didn't include that at all.

And then family habits come into play. If a family doesn't normally buy their children toys, games, or books during the year, they might consider Christmas the time to stock up on those things. If someone buys these things as needed during the year, they see no reason to buy a bunch of it simply because it's a holiday.

Interesting.

Yes, that's what I'm seeing, too. For our kiddos, Christmas and Birthdays are it. We just don't spend money on "stuff".

Yes, that's what I'm seeing, too. For our kiddos, Christmas and Birthdays are it. We just don't spend money on "stuff".

Same here!!! Christmas and birthdays are the only time we buy them toys / games / puzzles / books, etc. (except for school-related books / curriculum, of course).

Therefore, my kids usually have a fairly large Christmas!

It's interesting how many have spent in the neighborhood of $1000 or upwards, given how often people here talk of budgeting, etc. Both on this board and in my "real life", I'm not seeing how most average folks are truly disaffected by the economy...

I don't talk of budgeting - dh and I are not ones to just go out and buy stuff so we really don't have a budget. If we need something, we buy it and if we don't really need it but want it, we discuss it. Well, maybe not my Starbucks purchases. :D We also don't buy much for our kids the rest of the year. If they are truly in need of some clothes, I will buy them a pair of pants if they just want new clothes like in the case of my 13dd, she buys it herself. I love Christmas and all the packages underneath the tree. Some of the gifts are things like new socks which ds looks forward to finding in his stocking every year. We try to buy things on sale including my new laptop that dh got for $350. It all goes on the credit card but will be paid off with the first bill that comes - we don't carry a balance on it. Also included in my over $1k amount is gifts that we give for the Angel tree (the kids each choose one to buy for) and a needy family that our Cub Scout pack buys for. I think it's important for the kids to have that experience of helping others who are less fortunate and it helps them realize how much they truly have.

But anyway, right now we truly aren't really affected by the economy. Of course that could change at any time but hopefully we have enough money saved to get us through any tough times.

Edited by Krista in LA

If you can afford it, though, it will help prevent more job loss. KWIM?

Wendi

Yes, I was thinking this too. No sense withholding over and above previous years simply out of survivor's guilt or whatever you want to call it if you have the money to spend. We have been fortunate this year. Dh got a nice bonus that we were going to use to fix up the backyard (it's gravel and nothing else), but we socked it away instead because a large purchase didn't seem prudent right now. But since we have the cash, we spent a few hundred dollars on my parents (they are retiring soon and scaling back) and my grandparents who life on social security. Plus we have 7 children and we probably spent $150-200 on each of them including clothes they need and school supplies/books/software/videos I always wrap up for Christmas. At first I had planned to hold back, but after giving it some deeper thought we ended up spending around 2K.

It was really depressing and a little frightening to shop at our brand new shopping center with the big GOING OUT OF BUSINESS signs in front of Circuit City, Linens and Things and Mervyn's stores.

Barb

Well, I must be overly indulgent. I spend $200-300 per kid, and dh and I spend a bit less than that on each other (about $150 or so each). I don't really spend much money at all the rest of the year, so it's the one time we get stocked up on clothes and things we need (and want!).
\

That's exactly what we do. I hold back all during the year and keep a folder of "gift ideas" on my desktop. Whenever someone needs jeans or mentions wanting to learn Manga or I think, "Gee, those Mathtastic videos from Sonlight look really neat," I look up something suitable and link it to the folder. Then I'm ready to go on Black Friday and Cyber Monday when everything goes on deep discount. Delayed gratification pays off with excellent sale prices.

Barb

And then family habits come into play. If a family doesn't normally buy their children toys, games, or books during the year, they might consider Christmas the time to stock up on those things.

The boys only ever get toys or games from us for birthdays/Christmas. They get a small allowance which they need to use to save up for anything they want at other times of year. They occasionally get a new book during the year, but we mostly use the library.

Laura

We haven't been...so far anyway. Since my husband isn't in construction, retail, banking, sales or other similarly front-line types of work, we have been fairly insulated. But I have a feeling the secondary fallout is coming for those who will be more indirectly affected. Rich is in healthcare and people will always get sick. But if people are losing their jobs and have no health insurance they will be putting off elective surgeries and tests until things are more steady. So I'm sure we will eventually come to feel some of the effects even if we won't feel the full brunt.

Barb

We've been very blessed this year and have spent more than we have in the last eight to ten years. I don't know the real number as I had some big tickets items on my list and I don't know what dh got me.

We're still being frugal and buying some things we have wanted for a long time.

So :grouphug: to all of you who read some of these numbers and feel that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Remember things can change for the better and you never know what next year might bring.

I'm posting here because this sounds like our house. We have been rather limited with gifts over the past few years, but this year we're in a spot to splurge. This is actually the most we've ever spent, we're buying a new tv (have two 10-yo ones and one that we bought over 25 years ago, all kind of limping along at this point) and a wii for dc (first electronic-game thing ever) and dh decided to buy me a laptop. :D We've gotten some great sales, but still, these are huge purchases in this house.

The wii is a huge surprise for dc, but we thought it was good to plunge into since we're back in snow country again.

Other than that, we're buying very useful gifts in the family exchange and dc are making things for everyone. Plus, we bake a good bit.

We always earmark a good amount for the nursing home folks we support and several of the charities we like (Heifer Int'l, etc.)

It feels weird to be splurging after all these years of being pretty frugal.

Elegantlion said it well, :grouphug: and hoping for a good year ahead.

I saved around 200$ over the last 12months for Christmas for both boys (mainly the oldest is getting gifts but we decided last minute to get a couple small things for the youngest)...The only family I would consider buying for is my 2 sisters and that isn't going to happen this year...My other half's family doesn't recognize my oldest and doesn't really care about the youngest (just another boy in the family), so I prefer to not buy them gifts either and didn't this year...My other half will get that free snapfish book as a present from the youngest and my oldest is going to go out and buy him something himself...

We are on the low end of the scale in the poll.

About half of our Christmas budget is charitable giving - we usually go with Heifer or some other "help others help themselves" sort of gift. That's given in the names of our adult family members and friends, all of whom have way too much carp in their lives already, and some of whom has specifically requested that we make donations in their name rather than purchase gifts for them.

Dw and I give each other gifts that cost the equivalent of 1-2 hours' wages; these are usually "practical luxuries" - nicer versions of needed things than the individual would buy for him- or herself. Dd gets gifts that equal 2-3 hours' wage, including some items we get by barter. There are three other children we give gifts to, and these are usually in the $10-15 range.

Same here!!! Christmas and birthdays are the only time we buy them toys / games / puzzles / books, etc. (except for school-related books / curriculum, of course). Therefore, my kids usually have a fairly large Christmas!

I seldom buy my guys "stuff" throughout the year, and they still don't have a fairly large Christmas. They'll have to take it up with their shrink(s).:D We do sometimes go in for a big ticket item like a bike for a birthday. To be honest, bikes don't really seem that gift-y to me, though. I mean, we ~ my dh and I ~ like to ride bikes as a farmily. So it stands to reason that our kids will have bikes, kwim?

Our budget was only $100 this year but my mil sent another $80. It's amazing how a small budget allows everyone to think creatively. The sibs have been re-gifting, cashing in gift cards and thinking outside the box to insure that they are getting each other something and that the littles have lots to open. My oldest dd gathered lots of trinkets at a missions fair for stocking stuffers (maps, word magnets, chopsticks, etc).

We also spent $40 on a live tree that could have gone to gifts but we voted for the tradition.

We have 10 kids to buy for... We have mine- his and ours..

We spend $150 each on mine/his ($150 X 7 =1050). Ours receive $300 budget because this is the only household they will get presents from, but they never get that much this year it was $200 on average ( $200 X 3 = $600). DH and I spent less that $100 on each other.

We also have 10 birthdays a year so this is a year long budgeting and saving process for us. We save 200 a month , and just add in what we need when that month comes around.

We have been very lucky to be able to afford what we do on DH's income. Next year will not be as nice if the state of the economy does not change......

I seldom buy my guys "stuff" throughout the year, and they still don't have a fairly large Christmas. They'll have to take it up with their shrink(s).:D We do sometimes go in for a big ticket item like a bike for a birthday. To be honest, bikes don't really seem that gift-y to me, though. I mean, we ~ my dh and I ~ like to ride bikes as a farmily. So it stands to reason that our kids will have bikes, kwim?

We don't do a lot of *stuff* either. We do give ds several presents at Yule/Christmas, but he's our only kid. :D

FWIW, I put $250-$400 for us. (And, I didn't think of it when I posted the poll, but my dollars are Canadian dollars and so don't go quite as far as american dollars). I included what it cost me in supplies to make the gifts I've made for people, and store-bought gifts as well. I'm also including in there that we bought some very lovely hand-made ornaments for the tree this year. That's kind of a gift for all of us, since we all chose our favourites and quite enjoy the beauty of those baubles.

It's interesting to me that, at this point in the poll, the answers are quite wide ranging. The middle ground seems to be the $500-$700. But like you, Colleen, I'm somewhat surprised at the numbers for $1000 and up. I see where some who have posted about spending that much have bought items that skew the answer a bit. I mean, for example, a laptop is a gift, but not exactly something you'd buy every year. One person mentioned a special trip, and that probably doesn't line up with their usual gift-giving either. And, if you've a lot of children or large family to buy for, then that's going to affect your spending level.

I'm finding that spending seems to be quite cautious around my area this year. More so than the usual MB frugal. That's what prompted the poll. I wanted to get an idea of how others outside my little cheapie corner are spending.

Edited by Audrey

I think I spent about $250 - $300 on my son. I think I spent about $100 or so on my husband. I don't know what he spent on me. Could be $100, could be three or four hundred. You never know with him. We probably spent another $500 or so our parents, my grandparents, and our friends and their kids (the "cousins"). We don't buy for either of our brothers' families or all their kids, but we've sent them stuff from Japan while we'er here.

It gets confusing to figure out because I have to buy a lot of things from my grandparents for him, as well as the in laws for my son as well as husband (and him for me) so we only end up paying shipping once. And basically everything has to be ordered. We did buy a lot of things while on vacation in Singapore so that was nice to not have to order online. Also, weight and shipping is a huge factor. There are tons of great things I've found around Okinawa I'd love to send home for gifts, but the shipping may be three times as much as the item. So I'll end up just taking some of it back as gifts for when we return. Plus I start ordering things so early so it's here in enough time, I don't even remember all I bought. (I really need to pull it all out and start wrapping one of these days!)

Basically we don't have a budget, we just get what we want/ need. But we also live below our means and don't buy extravagantly. If we need a new tv or computer we go get one. But we don't buy one just because a new one came out.

I am at about $300. About half of that is for my 2 girls. The rest is for my sil's three kids and my fil. With the exception of my fil (who is disabled and likes opening presents), we have eliminated all exchanging of gifts among adults in the extended family. Dh and I will exchange something, but not very pricey ($25 or so).

I haven't really participated in any of the budget/economy threads because, at this point, we haven't really been affected by the economy at all. As a matter of fact, with the gas prices like they are right now, we're probably in better shape.

I think that Louisiana is just in a good place right now. Of course it's sad that we got there because of Katrina (and now Gustav), but our economy seems to be booming. I cannot believe the growth I have seen in the Baton Rouge area. There is new stuff opening on every corner, and every place is hiring. And now, with gas at less than half of what it was (and my driving a car that gets 1 1/2 times the mileage my minivan did), I'm spending about 2/3 less on gas each month and our budget is loving the cushion!!

I do tend to go overboard at Christmas, but we are careful with our budget each month so I refuse to feel guilty! :tongue_smilie:

Custom skateboard, ds #1: $117.54

Custom skateboard, ds #2: $95.46

Variety of gift cards, dd one and only: Approximately $100. These come with a promise to spend them together in quality girl time.

DH: Not sure yet.

I'd love to get the family a Wii but there is no way.

Oh! And I got 3 sets of Dave Ramsey systems for kids when they were sale priced.

Oh, I forgot to include DH's gift, which we will be buying after Christmas. He is awaiting his permit to carry and wants a new handgun which more than doubles what I said I was spending. Can I change my vote?

Beans.... what kind of gun will you be getting your dh? Has he been hinting at one, or are you making a guess?

We don't spend excessively for our family's income, but this year we are buying one *very* nice gift for each child.

Dd12 is getting pointe shoes and dance classes. (There has NEVER, in the history of gifts, been one that will be more appreciated! She will be *thrilled* beyond belief!!!)

Ds7 is getting a new bike. (Ok, not exciting, but as the youngest of 5 cousins, this child has everything already. And he plays with so very little of anything. He'd actually be happy with a cardboard box and a tube from the wrapping paper.)

Dd11 is getting a pink .22. (PINK! :001_smile: Since the girls are the last in the family to get firearms, I'm sure she'll share with her sister.)

Beans.... what kind of gun will you be getting your dh? Has he been hinting at one, or are you making a guess?

I tried to shop for him but I didn't know enough to make a choice. I went home and told him what I wanted to get him, and he is very excited. He said he wants a 1914.

I do intend to educate myself more, I am a bit embarrassed at my ignorance. I told dh to sign me up for the NRA course also.

We don't spend excessively for our family's income, but this year we are buying one *very* nice gift for each child.

Dd12 is getting pointe shoes and dance classes. (There has NEVER, in the history of gifts, been one that will be more appreciated! She will be *thrilled* beyond belief!!!)

Ds7 is getting a new bike. (Ok, not exciting, but as the youngest of 5 cousins, this child has everything already. And he plays with so very little of anything. He'd actually be happy with a cardboard box and a tube from the wrapping paper.)

Dd11 is getting a pink .22. (PINK! :001_smile: Since the girls are the last in the family to get firearms, I'm sure she'll share with her sister.)

OH! Can I get a pink gun too??? :lol:

My kids are still in the cap gun stage, but all three are getting them, plus sheriff badges and cowboy hats YEEEEEHAW!!