Menu

My pet peeve is super peeving me.

Carrie12345

So, I used to have 5 kids and 4 pets at home. I currently have 2 minor children and 3 pets, so this isn’t *entirely a home quantity thing.

Nearly every day of my life, I now have to field appointment reminders. Text, VM, email, app, website… they’re coming from everywhere. Pediatrician, family doctor, PT, other testing centers, vet, dentist, eye doctor, pharmacy…

And it isn’t 1 reminder per appointment. 1 week ahead, then 2 days ahead, then a day ahead, then a few hours ahead!!!

My youngest has 15 weeks of weekly PT scheduled, so just imagine what THAT looks like!

It is not that I don’t appreciate A reminder, or that I don’t recognize how many people do flake, but OMG. I’m up to my eyeballs in reminders!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

OMG, same. 

Oldest, who manages all his own stuff, cannot get his one doctor to switch in the reminder system that things should now go to his number not mine. (originally, we needed to be in charge of it, due to the symptoms he was having). So I get the text, and the email, and the day before text, and the day of text, and and and.  

Then my own doctor sends email, text, and phone call reminders for the same appointment and I cannot for the life of me find where/how to get rid of some of them (just email me, please, and drop the others....). I hate hate hate the multiple times, multiple methods reminders. 

Yes. The dentist sends email, text, phone call reminders when an appt is made, a week out, a day before, an hour before. I get that it is no extra work for them to just automate all those reminders so they just do but gosh it gets to be a lot. 

I know people flake. But I know people are still flaking. I suspect that half the reminders would yield the same result they are getting now. They probably just don’t know what half they can skip. 

I was in last week and when I made my next six month appointment the hygienist asked if I needed a reminder card and I just burst out laughing. Nah…I’m good. 

1 hour ago, bluemongoose said:

emailing me every day to tell me they haven't earned enough yet for the next prize level!

They do this now??? 🤔Talk about pet peeves. School fundraisers are high on the list. And now they do this? Oh, that would just do me in. That just feels wrong on so many levels. 

I’m sorry about all the reminders, though. That sounds awful.  We don’t have that many, and when our boys were young, all that hadn’t become a thing yet. I had no idea it had gotten that bad. And on top of that the daily stack of papers they send home to be signed and filled out. It must feel like complete bombardment. I mean, reminders are good.. … but this seems excessive. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

They do this now??? 🤔Talk about pet peeves. School fundraisers are high on the list. And now they do this? Oh, that would just do me in. That just feels wrong on so many levels. 

I’m sorry about all the reminders, though. That sounds awful.  We don’t have that many, and when our boys were young, all that hadn’t become a thing yet. I had no idea it had gotten that bad. And on top of that the daily stack of papers they send home to be signed and filled out. It must feel like complete bombardment. I mean, reminders are good.. … but this seems excessive. 

I am really hoping that the fundraiser ends soon, it has been going on for a month already. I get two copies every day because it is a set of siblings. So done! And then my next hope is that I am not forever on some mailing list for this school so that they do this at every fundraiser! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

I am really hoping that the fundraiser ends soon, it has been going on for a month already. I get two copies every day because it is a set of siblings. So done! And then my next hope is that I am not forever on some mailing list for this school so that they do this at every fundraiser! 

Ugh. That makes me less likely to give to a fundraiser if I think I am going on a list.

One thing I have seen in recent years is sports teams doing fundraising by collecting emails. It goes like this- they tell the team members they each need to hand in a certain number of emails of contacts. No obligation to give - just collect emails. The first time I did this it was for the son of a close friend of mine who swore they wouldn’t spam me and I trusted her and we gave her a bunch of emails for everyone in our family and that helped her kid meet his quota and I don’t think I ever got actual messages from them. But I have had this request via Facebook from other people that I know to be aggressive fundraisers - that they just need to collect emails with no obligation- and I won’t do it. 

I know a lot of people don’t actually check or use their email so they don’t care but I do and I don’t like getting all those emails.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Ugh. That makes me less likely to give to a fundraiser if I think I am going on a list.

One thing I have seen in recent years is sports teams doing fundraising by collecting emails. It goes like this- they tell the team members they each need to hand in a certain number of emails of contacts. No obligation to give - just collect emails. The first time I did this it was for the son of a close friend of mine who swore they wouldn’t spam me and I trusted her and we gave her a bunch of emails for everyone in our family and that helped her kid meet his quota and I don’t think I ever got actual messages from them. But I have had this request via Facebook from other people that I know to be aggressive fundraisers - that they just need to collect emails with no obligation- and I won’t do it. 

I know a lot of people don’t actually check or use their email so they don’t care but I do and I don’t like getting all those emails.

I didn't put my email on the list for this fundraiser...the family member did that for me without asking. I think I will ask them to not do this in the future and just ask me for money themselves. I can send them the money to give to their school and not be on the school's lists. I don't care that my name wouldn't be listed as one of the givers. (That is one of the current fundraisers emails...."come see who has given so far" Gross!)

That sports fundraiser's collection of emails is really icky!

• Like 2

I just got a text reminder of my 6 month dental cleaning appointment - ONE MONTH in advance. 
This will be followed up by a postcard to confirm appointment approximately 2 weeks in advance.
Followed up by at least two more texts.
It is insane. 

You have my sympathy. 

• Like 1

YES! And when I ran a monthly event that had dates published on our website, on our Facebook page,  and on an invitation. Additionally  I sent one reminder of the event the week of the event. Parents commented and asked if I could send a text the night before and one the day of.  Sorry, folks, you have a calendar. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bluemongoose said:

For me right now it is a public school fundraiser for a family member that is emailing me every day to tell me they haven't earned enough yet for the next prize level! Seriously!  This on top of all those other appointment reminders for 4 minor kids. Go away public school fundraiser!

Can you unsubscribe? Chances are they won’t even know, assuming the emails are automatic or from a third party.

I unsubscribe from just about everything. It usually works (for emails anyway) for awhile, but eventually they’ll start popping up again. I have no patience for unsolicited or over eager digital communication.

• Like 1

Yes! So many reminders! On Monday, I booked an ear piercing appointment at a tattoo parlor for today. In between Monday and today, I got about ten texts: deposit requests and deposit confirmations and confirmation requests and confirmation confirmations and appointment reminders. Sheesh! I’m coming!!

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Haha 1

Just opt out! I do.

Call the places and ask that you no longer get reminders. Or set up an email address for just medical emails/reminders to go to. If they bother you, then just stop the insanity to save your mental stamina for more important things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

YES! And when I ran a monthly event that had dates published on our website, on our Facebook page,  and on an invitation. Additionally  I sent one reminder of the event the week of the event. Parents commented and asked if I could send a text the night before and one the day of.  Sorry, folks, you have a calendar. 

I’m just gobsmacked. 🤦‍♀️
What is happening in this world? This is what Google Calendar is for. And you can even set reminders/alarms for stuff. 

You know, some funny comedian could do a lot with all this reminding and confirming people are doing and expecting to have done for them. Very good topic to turn into comedy gold. 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

confirmation confirmations

Please confirm your confirmation confirmation. I sent you ten emails, six texts, and three voicemails yesterday to remind you you NEED to confirm your confirmation confirmation. Also, you need to sell 500 more Chunky Chocoholic Bars if you want that plastic kazoo. Just letting you know. But don’t worry, I’ll remind you again tomorrow. 20 times. Oh, while you’re at it, I need you to remind me about that PTA meeting for next week. Today, next week, day before, day of, an hour before…got it? If you don’t get my confirmation confirmation, you’ll need to call me. If I don’t answer, come to my house and wake me up, make me coffee, and give me a ride. Just take me in my pajamas….. I really need to be there. I’m in charge of counting and reporting plastic kazoo eligibility. No one is confirming their confirmations; it’s not looking so good. 

Okay. This really isn’t funny. It’s the best I could do. 🤷‍♀️  I tried…..

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My reminders pale in comparison to the number of requests asking me to rate my delivery. Was it great? Do you have a compliment for the driver? Maybe because they were so friendly or professional? They dropped a box on my porch, what do you want from me?  At best, it's fine, not great. And I didn't see the driver; I'm lucky if they play ding-dong-ditch with the package instead of dropping it and running away in silence. 

What do you people want from me, and why do you need so much validation?? Was Jeff Bezos ignored as a child? 

14 hours ago, bluemongoose said:

For me right now it is a public school fundraiser for a family member that is emailing me every day to tell me they haven't earned enough yet for the next prize level! 

Mark the next email as spam. 

• Like 2

At one point, everybody in my family realized I'm willing to answer the phone for strangers, so all of them (including my mother and sister, who are definitely adults!) started using me as their contact number whenever they made appointments or signed up for things.

I was not amused, but I still answer the phone.

1 hour ago, katilac said:

My reminders pale in comparison to the number of requests asking me to rate my delivery. Was it great? Do you have a compliment for the driver? Maybe because they were so friendly or professional? They dropped a box on my porch, what do you want from me?  At best, it's fine, not great. And I didn't see the driver; I'm lucky if they play ding-dong-ditch with the package instead of dropping it and running away in silence. 

What do you people want from me, and why do you need so much validation?? Was Jeff Bezos ignored as a child? 

Yes, that’s a big one, too!

I forgot to mention another medical aspect - test results. Both boys had blood work done. I get notifications for not each boy, but each individual test from the list. And then notifications that the doctor reviewed each individual test. And then notifications that the doctor marked each individual test normal. And then notifications that their results letter is available. All after notifications of their visit summary, but before notifications for their visit notes. 😱

And now I’m going to add another pet peeve… Every website now seems to be offering “schedule an appointment online”, but after going through the process, it says to call to schedule.  
Then I get annoyed and decide to call later, but they see I’m in need of an appointment and start calling me!   
I once answered with a house full of barking, and the lady seemed annoyed. If it had been a good time for me to call, I would have!

4 hours ago, katilac said:

Mark the next email as spam. 

And Walmart grocery pickup now sends at least 5 emails (as well as texts if you have the app) for every weekly order:

"You have ordered."

"We're working on it."

"You can still make changes."

"Approve your substitutions."

"Your order is ready."

"You picked it up!"

Then, with any items being delivered - there's the "We're getting it ready." "It's shipped." "It's on its way!" "Delivered." "How'd we do?"

• Like 1

Here’s my one example of loving multiple texts:

I tried a new online grocery service last week, and they texted a million times but it was actually useful. First text: so-and-so is shopping your order. Second (and multiple following) texts: this product is out of stock, would you like to sub with this alternative, reply y or n? Final text: your order is ready.  It was so convenient, and I loved having a say in real time. 

My previous store always called at the end of shopping my order to discuss out of stocks, and I always seemed to miss the call and then I had to call back and sit through the automated thing and then wait while they find my specific shopper, etc. (first world problems, I know).

It's the peeviest.

I do not give my cell phone number to dentists, doctors, etc., and usually not my email address either. Some of these people will literally call me three times to remind me about my appointment (even if I just made it the day before they're calling!) and then three more about DS's, which is scheduled back to back with it. Heaven only knows how many times they would text me.

• Like 1