Menu

s/o socks - winter gear for southern gal that can’t take the cold anymore

GoVanGogh

I have lived in the south all of my adult life and have never really had to deal with cold weather, just a few days here and there, so not enough to really worry about owning winter gear. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s and fibromyalgia. The past two winters have been brutal on me. (The Texas snow event/energy grid failure was really hard on me. DH says he will take me out of state if that ever happens again.) Today, it is 55 degrees and pouring down rain and I cannot get warm or stop shaking. I had a rheumatology appointment this morning and she increased my pain med because the past few weeks, as the weather was shifting from summer, my pain levels have been increasing. She said to expect that every winter now will be like this for me. I am pulling out the electric blanket and extra large heating pad today. I obviously need winter gear, some to wear in the house and some to wear when I am out. Talk to me like I don’t know what snow is. I especially need some thin gloves to wear in the house because my fingers are so stiff they won’t bend. I own a few pair of wool hiking socks, but my feet are still cold when I wear them. I was looking at the REI website. Base wear for snow clothing? Can those items be worn under clothes and add some warmth? Any suggestions, especially brands, would be much appreciated. 

• Sad 1

Felted wool slippers are great around the house.  Get them large enough to fit over wool socks.  I especially like hard soled ones but we have hard wood floors.   We really like our smart wool socks.

If you can afford wool or silk long underwear, that is great too.  But any preferably wicking long underwear will make a big difference.  Fingerless gloves can be nice around the house, I knit pairs that float between us.  Wearing a hat can hold in a lot of warmth too.  

• Like 6

A few thoughts:

1. Proper rheumatology medication makes a huge difference in my quality of life. When things are bad, my body mostly locks up: fingers won’t bend, hips don’t flex enough to walk without a cane, etc. So, I am glad you are seeing a rheumatologist.

2. I have to spend the first hour of my day working on basic flexion in the winter: feet and ankles before I get out of bed. I drink hot herbal tea or coffee or something and warm my fingers next and then work on fingers/hands/wrist. Keep doing the stretches. Yoga helps. If you are/become wheelchair bound, even Sit and Be Fit (a tv show) is appropriate for you. 

3. Start with a base layer under your clothes, and wear wool socks. The base layer can be very thin and easily hideable. If you can afford the smart wool base layer, it’s the highest in affordable quality. The stuff at Costco is ok, but it’s not as nice on my skin. For me, keeping enough core body heat in is key. A puffer vest (Columbia) or wool wrap (whatever your dress style—pick something for your midsection) over your normal clothes is another layer you could add.

I don’t do well with indoor gloves. I wish I did. I have tried and failed many times, but I do too much with my hands. I do better drinking hot herbal tea all day and between dishes and bathroom trips—hot water dips that way.

Another thing that really helps is my hot tub. I need to become hot to sweating several times a week. Others might choose hot yoga, or a sauna, or whatever…but for me sitting in hot water for half an hour is probably the most helpful thing for my pain. 

ETA" links: Smartwool Merino 150 is their thinnest stuff. 250 is their medium weight: https://www.rei.com/product/202077/smartwool-merino-150-lace-base-layer-bottoms-womens

https://www.rei.com/product/111627/smartwool-classic-all-season-merino-base-layer-long-sleeve-top-womens

classic style wool wrap (linking for the fashion idea, there are less expensive options): https://www.garnethill.com/cashmere-wrap/womens-fashion/cashmere-shop/334124?SourceCode=K22W44B1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA+WApparel&utm_content=DSA+WSWEATERS&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwAiBO43Ox5ng6EXfUtnCYeZ1REQUsSCQjsqmTATWnFu5TS2pRzHl7MaAiw6EALw_wcB

any Columbia vest with Omni-Heat has been good to me: https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-slope-edge-vest-2001561.html?dwvar_2001561_color=472

I actually wear wool clothing year round (including dresses from Wool& in 100+ degree summer weather) because it's nice on my skin. Synthetics and I don't always get along if next to my skin.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

Here is what makes my feet warm for the first time in my life--double layer socks.  Those are way warmer than wool ones, to me, and they can be pretty and thin also.  I use these:  https://www.rei.com/product/805652/wrightsock-coolmesh-ii-quarter-socks?sku=8056520029&store=22&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_8056520029|92700058217371609|BA|71700000074512672&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwD2lKGlS72C_kR-gzGpSYwbaenDiTEIQZR2qayxs5K7zMNefVAOQn8aAs3XEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

For long underwear, I LOVE the LL Bean silk long underwear--it's not tight and it's not bulky and it's remarkably warm.  I can even fit it under tight jeans.

For your hands, I can't really help except to say that when my feet and torso are warm usually my hands are fine.  Having said that, I do like the 'writers' gloves' from Storiarts.  They are fingerless cotton gauntlets.  They give me a little boost of warmth without impeding my ability to get things done.  When I go outside in the cold I do add ski mittens, which go high up on my forearms and stop the wind completely and are water resistant.  

I grew up on San Francisco, so figuring out cold weather gear was quite an adjustment for me.

• Like 1

I’d get a light synthetic set of long underwear. Think stretch polar fleece leggings & top. Mine may be from Cuddl Duds. And Smartwool heavyweight long underwear for really cold days. 

The wool socks will help only if the rest of you is warm enough. 

• Like 1

My go-to's here:

Eddie Bauer Fleece Lined Trail Pants.  They look like cargo pants but with an extra layer of warmth.

UnderArmour base layer 3.0.  Thin, comes down over my hands.

Sweaters, wool socks, and lined slippers.

Yoga - the best way for me to stay warm is spend a few minutes during the coldest part really working on blood flow.

A warm rear end.  If my butt is warm, the rest of me has a chance.  I have a blanket I sit on when I am out in the cold.

I grew up in the American South, and am always cold here in the winter in NZ because we don't really heat our houses here. 

This is what I am currently wearing from the top down. All wool is merino so soft and warmer than cotton:

Top layers: 2 wool tank tops, 1 wool long sleeve shirt, 1 wool turtleneck, 1 tight fitting fleece sweatshirt, and a down puffer vest

Bottom layers: wool long johns, jeans, fleece over trousers

Feet: wool socks and fleece slippers

If I'm really cold, I have a fleece hat I wear inside too, and I add a hot water bottle that I put against my back.

You need to think layers and have a LOT of them. In America, I see people with a turtle neck and sweater with jeans, and they call that warm clothes. That is no where near warm enough for me. 

• Like 1

As for gloves to be worn inside, I find that they make my hands colder because each finger is insulated from the warmth of the others. The better option for me is the longer sleeved fleece jackets that have a slot for the thumb, so cover your hand up to the knuckles. And you can pull your hand in further if you want, but then have the fingers out when you need to use them. 

• Like 3

What works for me to get and stay warm, living in Canada, is a combination between an external heat source (e.g., heating pad, hot water bottle, space heater, chemical pouch hand warmers, warm bath, etc.) and clothing (wearing layers so you can add or remove a layer when needed). I find that I often need that external heat source initially to warm up my body, then I can rely on layers of clothing to maintain warmth over time. 

• Like 1

I like the Darn Tough wool socks. Really find some wool socks that work for you. Add silk sock liners. And my wool house shoes with a hard sole are great too. 

Vest - I wear a vest often in the house in the winter. It helps my core stay warm. I'm also wearing long sleeves, but I find I can move around more freely with a vest vs. jacket. I will often wear this vest under my coat if I go anywhere. 

I bought some finger tip - less arthritis gloves off Amazon. These help my hands stay semi-warm when I need to use them - typing, cleaning, whatever. I have several pairs so I can wash and rotate them. I do have gloves to wear over them when headed outside. Mittens could be warmer, but I do not like mittens. 

I keep Hot Hands handy. I put them often in the gloves at the inside wrist. The glove tension holds them there and they help keep my wrist and hands warm. I can put them in the toe of my shoes if I need to be outside for an extended period of time and it is cold outside. 

I can't wear turtlenecks or shirts with any sort of high neck, so I invested in a variety of colors and materials of gaiters. I have thin ones for use inside, think merino wool ones for when it is cool outside or cool inside, and a couple of fleece ones for outside cold. I find it helpful to keep my neck warm. Scarves work too, but they got in the way of me doing things and it's hard for me to wear a scarf when eating, but that isn't a problem with a neck gaiter. 

I like my fleece lined pants from LL Bean (perfect fit, maybe?). If I have to wear regular pants, fleece lined leggings are helpful. I also have a pair of flannel lined jeans (LL Bean), but those are so heavy, so it must be really cold before I can wear those!

I do have a rechargeable hand warmer. That is handy - I use that for worship services, but I often use hot hands too (stick a hot hand in the side of my shoe while using the rechargeable hand warmer for my hands - and yes, I'm wearing those fingertipless gloves too. 

I have some nice thermal under shirts with the portion that goes partially over your hand with the thumb hole. Those are nice too. I put that over my finger-tip-less gloves. 

A hot bath before bed, bed warmed up with electrical blanket or heating pad, wear socks, consider a beanie cap if your head gets cold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I have lived in the south all of my adult life and have never really had to deal with cold weather, just a few days here and there, so not enough to really worry about owning winter gear. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s and fibromyalgia. The past two winters have been brutal on me. (The Texas snow event/energy grid failure was really hard on me. DH says he will take me out of state if that ever happens again.) Today, it is 55 degrees and pouring down rain and I cannot get warm or stop shaking. I had a rheumatology appointment this morning and she increased my pain med because the past few weeks, as the weather was shifting from summer, my pain levels have been increasing. She said to expect that every winter now will be like this for me. I am pulling out the electric blanket and extra large heating pad today. I obviously need winter gear, some to wear in the house and some to wear when I am out. Talk to me like I don’t know what snow is. I especially need some thin gloves to wear in the house because my fingers are so stiff they won’t bend. I own a few pair of wool hiking socks, but my feet are still cold when I wear them. I was looking at the REI website. Base wear for snow clothing? Can those items be worn under clothes and add some warmth? Any suggestions, especially brands, would be much appreciated. 

I will be your guide. I am perpetually cold and live with people who think it’s hot all the time. We keep our heat on 68 and my home is chilly year-round because these fools think they’ll spontaneously combust if warmth hits their skin. This is what you need:

wool socks

Silk longjohns

a heated mattress pad

This robe

a knit cap for indoors/sleeping

house slippers

You may need to cultivate a hot tea addiction and take the occasional “lobster bath.” This is when you sit in a hot tub long enough to turn red and WANT to be out in the cool air. This can bring up your core temperature for hours. I also switch from salads to soups all winter.

😬

• Like 1

So much good advice here. I'll add a few thoughts.

Water conducts temperature beautifully. When you just cannot get warm, a hot tub is your friend. Consider purchasing one. I think it's better than a bath because the hot water is ready and available at all times. But if you don't have one, take a bath. The hot soak will warm your core. The layers you put on after will help retain that warmth. 

You might need to change your base layer after that bath. You'll find that your feet or extremities get cold if your socks or base layer retains moisture. A friend who has Raynaud's likes to warm up in the bath, get dressed, and then plan to change her socks within an hour. She carries extra socks in her purse so that she never has to stay in damp socks.

Down slippers are glorious. The hard-bottomed ones from The North Face are wonderful because they don't allow cold to seep in through the bottom.

I also use wool clogs as house shoes. Same deal as the hard-bottomed down slippers--the thick, cork soles keep the cold out.

Silk long underwear. Light but provides real warmth and is not constricting.

Down comforter. Worth every penny. Consider a heavier one for your bed and a lighter one for your couch.

LAYERS.

Microwavable rice socks--fill a clean cotton knee sock with raw rice. Heat in the microwave as needed. Lovely under the covers. I also love water bottles under the covers.

Windproof outerwear worn INSIDE. The key is that they retain your body's warmth but they are light and thin. I specifically avoid anything too heavy or crinkly--the key is a pullover and pants that are just the barest nylon shell. I'll be honest, though, even though the windproof pants are wonderfully warm, I usually default to a blanket wrapped around my waist like a sarong because it's easier to throw it on and off as desired.

If you can afford it, a hot tub might be very helpful. I have a friend that gets in hers 1-3 times a day on cold weather.

i just got one and am currently waiting for it to heat up the water.

cuddle duds are not tue best ever but are great for tue price.  Just look for arctic weight ones.   Walmart had sets of pants and tops for $10 a set last Christmas.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I will be your guide. I am perpetually cold and live with people who think it’s hot all the time. We keep our heat on 68 and my home is chilly year-round because these fools think they’ll spontaneously combust if warmth hits their skin.

We will spontaneously combust. 😉 💣🥵

DH wears layers, including long johns. Even as someone who gets pretty hot, I wear long johns outside most of the winter.

One unexpected thing that makes me ragingly hot is putting good quality moisturizer on various parts of my body when I get out of the shower. You know, lock that moisture in!!! Well, it makes me feel like I am encased in unbreathable, unbearable plastic. It would probably be great for you! 

Have you considered getting some kind of radiant heat for the floor? There are some systems that are like a film and can go under a rug, etc. Warm floors make a huge difference. https://www.quietwarmthmenards.com/quietwarmth-floating 

• Like 1

Another thought . . . 

Make sure you stay hydrated. Sometimes it’s hard to do in the winter. You might not feel as thirsty when you’re cold, but dry winter air can be dehydrating. It’s harder to regulate your body temperature when your fluids are low, so put in the effort to drink. 

I avoid iced drinks in the winter. They make me feel too cold any time of year, but in the winter they definitely bring down the core temperature. 

• Like 2

Also run a humidifier if you live in a dry climate. There are various sizes, even for single rooms. I can sure feel the difference. And silk underwear is great and not bulky. Also wool sweaters are warmer than fleece, although fleece is nice, too!

• Like 2

My girls attended college in upstate NY.  even 2dd, who was always cold, wasn't cold with what I learned about keeping warm. Which made a big difference when she was in southern Chile for 18 months and two winters.

silk long underwear.  you can get it in different weights, but it's still thin enough to fit under everything and breathable to allow perspiration to escape.  If you're mostly inside, start with lightweight and you shouldn't overheat because it is breathable.  (or wool, or something else from REI that is breathable to allow perspiration to escape.  - stay away from cotton and polypropylene long underwear.  Cotton will absorb perspiration and keep you cold. polypropylene will hold perspiration next to your skin.)

good quality polar fleece or wool. - not all polar fleece is the same, and neither are things made from wool.  - you want a tight knit.

you lose a lot of heat through your feet.  shoes/boots matter for keeping your feet warm which will help keep the rest of you warm.  I have some real sheepskin slippers/scuffs and boots  - and they must be real sheepskin, the fake stuff is about looks and will not keep you warm. the sole is thick enough to provide an insulation layer from the ground.  I'm sorry costco doesnt' have their UGG knock-offs this year.  but they're warm and help keep the rest of you warm too. liners can be replaced as they're worn down.  if you want to splurge on boots - steger mukluks. She got the basic design from Eskimo women when she was freezing her buns off while covering the Iditarod. They're soft and lightweight so they don't wear you out trying to talk in them as many boots do - but very warm. and very durable.

wool socks. - again, stay away from cotton, it absorbs perspiration and will keep you cold.

You can use a fleece head band that covers your ears - another place where you lose heat fast.

when I'd try things in a store - I'd put it on for five minutes - if I was warm/hot, I'd buy it.  there's a lot of gloves/headbands/boots etc. out there - that are NOT *warm*. I've bought a lot of gloves over the years - I have a pair of black leather dress gloves with a thinsulate lining from target of all places that are among my warmest gloves.

I understand the cold thing. I recall one day standing in the sunshine in a costco parking lot, basking in the sun (that still wasnt' warming me up).  I had on a heavy polar fleece jacket that I had previously considered warm, but I was still cold.  it was 80 degrees, and I was cold . . . .  I have found taking adrenal support to be helpful with the pain, and it mostly keeps it under control. (I take some at regular times during the day, and extra as needed if I'm doing stuff that triggers it.) I'm definitely in less pain. (I'm allergic to holy basil leaf, so I only take integrative therapeutics cortisol manager, or its components purchased separately)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! 
I now own some real winter clothes! Also bought some slippers and fingerless gloves (been wearing them around the house and love them!) This Friday is suppose to be cold and wet again, so I hope to be better prepared  

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. The med change (adding in a daytime dose of pain med) has knocked me flat for a bit. I am going to try and reply individually. Thank you again. 

• Like 4

On 10/28/2022 at 2:47 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

A few thoughts:

1. Proper rheumatology medication makes a huge difference in my quality of life. When things are bad, my body mostly locks up: fingers won’t bend, hips don’t flex enough to walk without a cane, etc. So, I am glad you are seeing a rheumatologist.

2. I have to spend the first hour of my day working on basic flexion in the winter: feet and ankles before I get out of bed. I drink hot herbal tea or coffee or something and warm my fingers next and then work on fingers/hands/wrist. Keep doing the stretches. Yoga helps. If you are/become wheelchair bound, even Sit and Be Fit (a tv show) is appropriate for you. 

3. Start with a base layer under your clothes, and wear wool socks. The base layer can be very thin and easily hideable. If you can afford the smart wool base layer, it’s the highest in affordable quality. The stuff at Costco is ok, but it’s not as nice on my skin. For me, keeping enough core body heat in is key. A puffer vest (Columbia) or wool wrap (whatever your dress style—pick something for your midsection) over your normal clothes is another layer you could add.

I don’t do well with indoor gloves. I wish I did. I have tried and failed many times, but I do too much with my hands. I do better drinking hot herbal tea all day and between dishes and bathroom trips—hot water dips that way.

Another thing that really helps is my hot tub. I need to become hot to sweating several times a week. Others might choose hot yoga, or a sauna, or whatever…but for me sitting in hot water for half an hour is probably the most helpful thing for my pain. 

ETA" links: Smartwool Merino 150 is their thinnest stuff. 250 is their medium weight: https://www.rei.com/product/202077/smartwool-merino-150-lace-base-layer-bottoms-womens

https://www.rei.com/product/111627/smartwool-classic-all-season-merino-base-layer-long-sleeve-top-womens

classic style wool wrap (linking for the fashion idea, there are less expensive options): https://www.garnethill.com/cashmere-wrap/womens-fashion/cashmere-shop/334124?SourceCode=K22W44B1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA+WApparel&utm_content=DSA+WSWEATERS&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--2aBhD5ARIsALiRlwAiBO43Ox5ng6EXfUtnCYeZ1REQUsSCQjsqmTATWnFu5TS2pRzHl7MaAiw6EALw_wcB

any Columbia vest with Omni-Heat has been good to me: https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-slope-edge-vest-2001561.html?dwvar_2001561_color=472

I actually wear wool clothing year round (including dresses from Wool& in 100+ degree summer weather) because it's nice on my skin. Synthetics and I don't always get along if next to my skin.

Thank you so much for the reply. 
I need to get in the habit of doing some basic yoga and stretching first thing in the morning. I do hot yoga (infrared studio) 2-4 times a week. I wish I could go daily, as it makes me feel so much better (relieves joint pain considerably) but the studio’s schedule and mine doesn’t align 3 days of the week. 
I have access to an infrared sauna at a nearby spa ($15 for the day), plus regular sauna, steam room and hot tub at the gym. Thanks for the prompt. I told my DH to remind me to take advantage of one of those options the next time I can’t get warm. I am also making up a list to post in my kitchen, “Things to do when I get cold!” May sound silly, but I have really bad memory issues and forget basic things unless I am prompted. 
I was able to get a thin base layer top and bottom. I haven’t tried them yet, but know we are just getting in to colder weather. 
Thank you so much for the reply and links! 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, HomeAgain said:

My go-to's here:

Eddie Bauer Fleece Lined Trail Pants.  They look like cargo pants but with an extra layer of warmth.

UnderArmour base layer 3.0.  Thin, comes down over my hands.

Sweaters, wool socks, and lined slippers.

Yoga - the best way for me to stay warm is spend a few minutes during the coldest part really working on blood flow.

A warm rear end.  If my butt is warm, the rest of me has a chance.  I have a blanket I sit on when I am out in the cold.

So true about the warm rear end! I ended up wrapping a thin blanket, doubled up, around my waist, and was shocked at how much warmer I felt. Our house always feel drafty to me, even after getting new windows a few years ago. We have a ton of windows (38 in a house slightly less than 2,000 sf) and our heat vents are in the ceiling, just not made for warming up the house. 

On 10/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, wintermom said:

What works for me to get and stay warm, living in Canada, is a combination between an external heat source (e.g., heating pad, hot water bottle, space heater, chemical pouch hand warmers, warm bath, etc.) and clothing (wearing layers so you can add or remove a layer when needed). I find that I often need that external heat source initially to warm up my body, then I can rely on layers of clothing to maintain warmth over time. 

I am going to buy a small heater soon. DH keeps one at his office and loves it, he uses it almost year round because his building is so cold. 

• Like 2

Ugg boots are great slippers. I had an old pair that I kept around the house when for when it was really cold, They were great. And yes to all the above suggestions for a base layer. Cuddle duds fit well under clothing if you don't need anything warmer. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, Bambam said:

I like the Darn Tough wool socks. Really find some wool socks that work for you. Add silk sock liners. And my wool house shoes with a hard sole are great too. 

Vest - I wear a vest often in the house in the winter. It helps my core stay warm. I'm also wearing long sleeves, but I find I can move around more freely with a vest vs. jacket. I will often wear this vest under my coat if I go anywhere. 

I bought some finger tip - less arthritis gloves off Amazon. These help my hands stay semi-warm when I need to use them - typing, cleaning, whatever. I have several pairs so I can wash and rotate them. I do have gloves to wear over them when headed outside. Mittens could be warmer, but I do not like mittens. 

I keep Hot Hands handy. I put them often in the gloves at the inside wrist. The glove tension holds them there and they help keep my wrist and hands warm. I can put them in the toe of my shoes if I need to be outside for an extended period of time and it is cold outside. 

I can't wear turtlenecks or shirts with any sort of high neck, so I invested in a variety of colors and materials of gaiters. I have thin ones for use inside, think merino wool ones for when it is cool outside or cool inside, and a couple of fleece ones for outside cold. I find it helpful to keep my neck warm. Scarves work too, but they got in the way of me doing things and it's hard for me to wear a scarf when eating, but that isn't a problem with a neck gaiter. 

I like my fleece lined pants from LL Bean (perfect fit, maybe?). If I have to wear regular pants, fleece lined leggings are helpful. I also have a pair of flannel lined jeans (LL Bean), but those are so heavy, so it must be really cold before I can wear those!

I do have a rechargeable hand warmer. That is handy - I use that for worship services, but I often use hot hands too (stick a hot hand in the side of my shoe while using the rechargeable hand warmer for my hands - and yes, I'm wearing those fingertipless gloves too. 

I have some nice thermal under shirts with the portion that goes partially over your hand with the thumb hole. Those are nice too. I put that over my finger-tip-less gloves. 

A hot bath before bed, bed warmed up with electrical blanket or heating pad, wear socks, consider a beanie cap if your head gets cold. 

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, esp the fingerless arthritis gloves! I ordered some and am in love! I plan to get a few more pair soon. They really are amazing for the joint pain in my fingers. I love that I can type and work around the house in them. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:12 PM, Selkie said:

Thank you. I bought some Cuddl Duds. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I will be your guide. I am perpetually cold and live with people who think it’s hot all the time. We keep our heat on 68 and my home is chilly year-round because these fools think they’ll spontaneously combust if warmth hits their skin. This is what you need:

wool socks

Silk longjohns

a heated mattress pad

This robe

a knit cap for indoors/sleeping

house slippers

You may need to cultivate a hot tea addiction and take the occasional “lobster bath.” This is when you sit in a hot tub long enough to turn red and WANT to be out in the cool air. This can bring up your core temperature for hours. I also switch from salads to soups all winter.

😬

Thank you so much! I have always been more of a cold tea drinker, but need to switch to hot tea. 

• Like 1

Darn Tough is supposed to be great. I actually have a bunch of smart wool socks that I got from Sun and ski. However ever since I’ve gotten these happy socks, I know that’s crazy because they aren’t marketed as winter socks but I find them much more comfortable and they’re plenty warm just as warm as the wool socks. They are called “Happy Socks.”

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Harriet Vane said:

So much good advice here. I'll add a few thoughts.

Water conducts temperature beautifully. When you just cannot get warm, a hot tub is your friend. Consider purchasing one. I think it's better than a bath because the hot water is ready and available at all times. But if you don't have one, take a bath. The hot soak will warm your core. The layers you put on after will help retain that warmth. 

You might need to change your base layer after that bath. You'll find that your feet or extremities get cold if your socks or base layer retains moisture. A friend who has Raynaud's likes to warm up in the bath, get dressed, and then plan to change her socks within an hour. She carries extra socks in her purse so that she never has to stay in damp socks.

Down slippers are glorious. The hard-bottomed ones from The North Face are wonderful because they don't allow cold to seep in through the bottom.

I also use wool clogs as house shoes. Same deal as the hard-bottomed down slippers--the thick, cork soles keep the cold out.

Silk long underwear. Light but provides real warmth and is not constricting.

Down comforter. Worth every penny. Consider a heavier one for your bed and a lighter one for your couch.

LAYERS.

Microwavable rice socks--fill a clean cotton knee sock with raw rice. Heat in the microwave as needed. Lovely under the covers. I also love water bottles under the covers.

Windproof outerwear worn INSIDE. The key is that they retain your body's warmth but they are light and thin. I specifically avoid anything too heavy or crinkly--the key is a pullover and pants that are just the barest nylon shell. I'll be honest, though, even though the windproof pants are wonderfully warm, I usually default to a blanket wrapped around my waist like a sarong because it's easier to throw it on and off as desired.

Thank you so much for the reply! We need to remodel our bathroom and I hope to get a small hot tub or something of that nature then. We currently have a jacuzzi tub in the master bath, but it is just not quite deep enough to be comfortable. I should use the hot tub at the gym more often. 

On 10/28/2022 at 6:23 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

One more thought, on the fibro end of things….are you taking a quality magnesium supplement…and if yes, are you taking enough of it? Magnesium not only helps relax smooth muscle tissue, it also helps with temperature regulation.

I am not currently, but have been reading more on supplementing it and plan to start soon.  Do you have a particular one that you like? I know there are different types that are suppose to help with different issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am not currently, but have been reading more on supplementing it and plan to start soon.  Do you have a particular one that you like? I know there are different types that are suppose to help with different issues. 

I take this magnesium: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Glycinate/dp/B000BD0RT0/ref=sr_1_8_mod_primary_new?crid=FKH0FR2YQ5GB&keywords=magnesium&qid=1667342687&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjYwIiwicXNhIjoiNS4zMSIsInFzcCI6IjUuMzUifQ%3D%3D&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=magnesium%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-8

but any magnesium glycinate is good, I think. 

• Like 1