Menu

I ordered a mattress online, sight unseen

Janeway

Just now, Janeway said:

Then, my sister called to tell me that this is a huge mistake and mattresses are one of the few things that never should be ordered online. Now I am thinking I should cancel and hit the stores instead. I ordered the Saatva luxury firm in king. What should I do?

Don’t they have a 365 day money back promise?   My mom ordered one and loves hers.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't understand the logic behind "must order in store." It's not like you can tell how you'll like a mattress by trying it out for 15 minutes in a store. Everything I've heard about Saatva has been very good.

Agreed. Trying it in person is overrated. Plus, you don't really lie on it like you lie in bed at home, because you're at a store and don't want to be the weirdo flopping from side to side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've ordered two online for our bed--we went pretty inexpensive, it lasted six years, and we just rebought the same mattress, but with some slats to go under it this time. It wasn't horrible, but needed more support under the mattress than we had. We also ordered that same mattress six years ago for ds' bed, and it's still fine. We bought another specially-sized mattress for other ds' "differently sized" bed six years ago. I think it is still fine, as well.

We bought a Saatva mattress online in 2020. It is a million times better than what it was replacing. The delivery team was fantastic and carried it upstairs to our bedroom and removed old mattress.

I don’t expect to keep it 20 years like the  previous mattress, but so far it’s great. We share a full size and my only complaint is that I do feel dh turning over more than old mattress. 

2 hours ago, Acorn said:

We bought a Saatva mattress online in 2020. It is a million times better than what it was replacing. The delivery team was fantastic and carried it upstairs to our bedroom and removed old mattress.

I don’t expect to keep it 20 years like the  previous mattress, but so far it’s great. We share a full size and my only complaint is that I do feel dh turning over more than old mattress. 

Last time, we tried in the store and bought an Aireloom. It cost a lot of money. But within a few months, it sagged a ton in one spot. We called in for the warranty. But my husband sweats in his sleep so there was some coloring on his side. They said that void the warranty. It cost us a few thousand dollars and turned out to be a huge loss. The sag was huge. The part of the mattress that didn’t sag was great. I am still mad that they turned out to be a huge waste of money. And that was on a mattress we tried in person. So in person did not help us at all.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Janeway said:

Then, my sister called to tell me that this is a huge mistake and mattresses are one of the few things that never should be ordered online. Now I am thinking I should cancel and hit the stores instead. I ordered the Saatva luxury firm in king. What should I do?

I tried the ones in stores and just couldn’t decide. Foam this springform that, I mean it requires a degree. Total decision overwhelm. I got the same saatva (I think? eTA mine is saatva loom and leaf firm) in queen but definitely firm and am quite happy. 
im also happy (when I lay down and read to her) with my daughter’s Pottery Barn queen, so maybe I’m not a picky sort of mattress person? 

Edited by madteaparty

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

Last time, we tried in the store and bought an Aireloom. It cost a lot of money. But within a few months, it sagged a ton in one spot. We called in for the warranty. But my husband sweats in his sleep so there was some coloring on his side. They said that void the warranty. It cost us a few thousand dollars and turned out to be a huge loss. The sag was huge. The part of the mattress that didn’t sag was great. I am still mad that they turned out to be a huge waste of money. And that was on a mattress we tried in person. So in person did not help us at all.

Why would coloring change the warranty? Would they actually resell a mattress with a huge sag?

• Like 1

I've come to realize it's no better trying it in the store.  You learn next to nothing lying on a mattress for 5 minutes in a store.  The most important thing is that there's a good return policy, and actually, most big-name mattress stores I've been in lately don't have a great return policy.  

(We've had our Saatva for maybe 8 years?  It's the best mattress we've ever had.  If ever anyone else sleeps on it, they always ask us what brand it is so they can order the same one!)