Menu

Looking for records of price changes over the last year

saraha

On 9/22/2022 at 10:39 AM, WendyLady said:

I took a statistics class last spring and my group project was buying the same groceries one month apart to see if prices were changing. We did not see a difference over that one month period, but I still have the data from a couple of US locations and Germany. But my family moved this summer so I can’t go back to the same grocery store to buy those same items. Do you want our grocery prices from last year without current prices from those areas?

Sure!

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Pricing seems to be moving up more as a % in the canisters than in the 25# bags. I bought a 25# bag and a couple of food grade buckets instead. We easily go through 25# in winter. If you can find a restaurant store near you, it might be a more affordable option.

Do you get Quaker when you buy in the big bags? We do have a GFS around here, but I just bought oats from Sam's, so it will be a while. 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Arcadia said:

Look at Table 2. Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U): U.S. city average, by detailed expenditure category, August 2022
(Page 9 to 11 of 37)

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf
“The food at home index rose 13.5 percent over the last 12 months, the largest 12-month increase since the period ending March 1979. The index for other food at home rose 16.7 percent and the index for cereals and bakery products increased 16.4 percent over the year. The remaining major grocery store food groups posted increases ranging from 9.4 percent (fruits and vegetables) to 16.2 percent (dairy and related products).
The index for food away from home rose 8.0 percent over the last year. The index for full service meals rose 9.0 percent over the last 12 months, and the index for limited service meals rose 7.2 percent over the last year.”

Thanks for linking that, it explains why I haven't really felt the pinch yet, since fresh fruit & veg have increased the least, and the other categories I either don't buy or I bought in bulk last year (like whole grains & dried beans) and haven't needed to replenish yet.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Over the past few months at my Sam's Club-- store brand coffee went from $8.**  to $12.** 

This will sound weird, but I started reusing my coffee grounds. We have a maker that you can adjust to a variety of cup sizes as well as half or full pots. I make one travel mug size full, and then I reuse the grounds for a small, normal sized mug later in the day. 

I don't like my coffee particularly strong or particularly weak. I assume I'll run into a brand at some point that might not allow this, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how far my used grounds will go.

DH and DS tend to eyeball stuff and end up making stronger coffee every time, and over time, the old "dose" becomes too weak for them. 🙄 I should see if they'll try it--worst case scenario, maybe they use the grounds again but add another scoop? 

No one in our house is overly brand loyal, but we do tend to like moderately $$ coffee and just try to get it on sale. I am thinking we might have to modify that behavior, sadly.

• Like 1

I mostly shop at Trader Joe's, with occasional trips to Whole Foods and Costco, and I don't have many receipts from a year ago — and even those I do have don't include a lot of foods that I also happen to have purchased recently, so the data I have is pretty limited. But my perception is that Trader Joe's has held the line on a lot of their basics, so I haven't seen a lot of inflation in those. I know fruit & veg have gone up some (particularly fruit), but there's so much seasonal fluctuation it's a little harder to track, and I've been eating home-grown tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and microgreens for most of the summer, so I've barely looked at prices for those.

Anyway, here are prices for the items that I have receipts for from last year and the past month. With the items that have gone down in price, the 2021 prices mostly reflect pandemic increases, and the current lower prices are closer to what they were before the pandemic (like TJs avocados were 3.99/6 for a long time, and then went up and have now come back down).

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 11.15.41 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Do you get Quaker when you buy in the big bags? We do have a GFS around here, but I just bought oats from Sam's, so it will be a while. 

Nope. I buy organic oats. They are milled in our region, and are shipped in paper bags with the mill stamp on it. Quaker Oats have been found to have glyphosate in them https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/health/herbicide-glyphosate-cereal-oatmeal-children.html so I avoid them if I have the option.  The big 25# bags were almost impossible to find for a couple of years here (mid-2020 to a couple of months ago), so I only got Quaker or store brand during that time frame.

Honestly, I prefer the big bag stuff. They are fresher, not as "dusty", and I have never had bug problems (though I do put dry ice in the bottom of my bulk buckets when I first fill them).

33 minutes ago, kbutton said:

This will sound weird, but I started reusing my coffee grounds. We have a maker that you can adjust to a variety of cup sizes as well as half or full pots. I make one travel mug size full, and then I reuse the grounds for a small, normal sized mug later in the day. 

I don't like my coffee particularly strong or particularly weak. I assume I'll run into a brand at some point that might not allow this, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how far my used grounds will go.

Used coffee grounds from drip coffee can be reused for french press or cold brew as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nope. I buy organic oats. They are milled in our region, and are shipped in paper bags with the mill stamp on it. Quaker Oats have been found to have glyphosate in them https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/health/herbicide-glyphosate-cereal-oatmeal-children.html so I avoid them if I have the option.  The big 25# bags were almost impossible to find for a couple of years here (mid-2020 to a couple of months ago), so I only got Quaker or store brand during that time frame.

Honestly, I prefer the big bag stuff. They are fresher, not as "dusty", and I have never had bug problems (though I do put dry ice in the bottom of my bulk buckets when I first fill them).

My son prefers Quaker or some kind of gluten free oats (also pricey). He and another extended family member can tell a texture difference. 🤷‍♀️ I will have to see if any of the GF oats are a reasonable price since Quaker is so expensive now.

Is there anything that doesn't have glyphosate? I don't have a subscription to NYT, but it just seems like it's everywhere. I do get some organic stuff strategically.

27 minutes ago, kbutton said:

My son prefers Quaker or some kind of gluten free oats (also pricey). He and another extended family member can tell a texture difference. 🤷‍♀️ I will have to see if any of the GF oats are a reasonable price since Quaker is so expensive now.

Is there anything that doesn't have glyphosate? I don't have a subscription to NYT, but it just seems like it's everywhere. I do get some organic stuff strategically.

I can buy GF organic oats here, but I also live in a place where lots of people are GF, vegan, or the like. The market demand is high. Lately, I can find GF OR organic, not both at the usual place I buy....maybe they are doing some shared milling or something. The GF I can find easily are milled in the same factory as tree nuts, milk, soy, and eggs.

I can also drive over to Bob's Red Mill, though, where the gf/organic blend is usually available in their factory store. So, YMMV. None of us HAVE to be GF, if we were dealing with celiac I would buy Bob's because they batch test each batch. As it is, we're just dealing with tolerance issues.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, historically accurate said:

My orders have changed a lot - we have now gone gluten free so we buy different items. But since I have used Walmart grocery for curbside pickup since the pandemic started, I did a cart that matched what I bought on Sept 18 of last year. Note this is the exact same Walmart - we have not moved.

First price is Sept 18, 2021/Second price is Sept 21, 2022

m&m family size $3.38/$6.98

Store brand pancake mix $1.68/$1.98

2% gallon milk $2.25/$2.87

gala apples $1.47 per pound/$0.84 per pound

peaches $1.28 per pound/$2.08 per pound

Crackers $1.98/$2.78

Loaf of Honey Wheat Bread $1.98/$2.68

Gallon white vinegar $1.58/$2.28

Hot dog buns $0.88/$1.00

Lemonade mix $1.18/$1.94

Garlic Bread $2.00/$2.00

Store brand cooking spray $1.97/$2.28

Italian seasoning packets $3.98/$4.98

Cake mix $1.20/$1.58

Frosting $1.50/$1.74

Tombstone frozen pizza $3.77/$4.58

Pretzels $1.98/$1.98

Velveeta $5.88/$4.98

eggs (dozen) $1.17/$2.22

yogurt $1.80/$2.36

Cheerios $5.98/$6.98

rotel $0.98/$1.28

canned tomatoes $0.88/$1.68

pasta $1.60/$2.38

vitamin c lozenges $1.97/$2.12

ziploc bags $3.82/$4.64

tartar sauce $1.30/$1.38

fish sticks $3.48/$4.62

frozen hash browns $2.96/$3.68

dove deodorants $5.90/$6.88

I realize this thread is a little old, but we were just discussing price volatility in the frugalista thread, and I thought of this one.

I knew eggs kept increasing, but I thought a lot of things were pretty stable. It seems my perception wasn't too far off. We don't buy much in the way of bread products anymore, so I hadn't noticed the buns/bread increase. 

So I did a  check on this order:

First price is Sept 18, 2021/Second price is Sept 21, 2022/Third price is Dec 4, 2022

m&m family size $3.38/$6.98/$6.98

Store brand pancake mix $1.68/$1.98/no longer sold

2% gallon milk $2.25/$2.87/$2.83

gala apples $1.47 per pound/$0.84 per pound/$0.84

peaches $1.28 per pound/$2.08 per pound/$1.27

Crackers $1.98/$2.78/$2.78

Loaf of Honey Wheat Bread $1.98/$2.68/$2.93

Gallon white vinegar $1.58/$2.28/$2.28

Hot dog buns $0.88/$1.00/$1.10

Lemonade mix $1.18/$1.94/$1.94

Garlic Bread $2.00/$2.00/$2.16

Store brand cooking spray $1.97/$2.28/$2.28

Italian seasoning packets $3.98/$4.98/$4.98

Cake mix $1.20/$1.58/$1.58

Frosting $1.50/$1.74/$1.74

Tombstone frozen pizza $3.77/$4.58/$4.58

Pretzels $1.98/$1.98/$1.98

Velveeta $5.88/$4.98/$4.98

eggs (dozen) $1.17/$2.22/$3.98

yogurt $1.80/$2.36/$2.36

Cheerios $5.98/$6.98/$6.48

rotel $0.98/$1.28/$1.24

canned tomatoes $0.88/$1.68/$1.36

pasta $1.60/$2.38/$2.38

vitamin c lozenges $1.97/$2.12/$2.12

ziploc bags $3.82/$4.64/$4.64

tartar sauce $1.30/$1.38/$1.38

fish sticks $3.48/$4.62/$4.48

frozen hash browns $2.96/$3.68/$3.68

dove deodorants $5.90/$6.88/$6.88

Curious if anyone is seeing price stabilization on groceries recently. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Curious if anyone is seeing price stabilization on groceries recently.

I am, sort of, but not exactly.

Rice was about $20 for the large bag (10lbs?) last year.  I remember sweating about it because we eat a LOT of rice here.  It's one of the things that ds23 counts as a staple for his lunches.

Right now, the same bag is $4. Canned beans went up to $1.09 for store brand for a bit and are back down to $.79-.89.  Gingersnaps are back to $2.50.

Eggs, yogurt, bread, cereal, oatmeal and meat are still insane pricing.  Some fruits and veggies are at previous prices (limes are 3/$1, potatoes are $3 for a 5lb bag).  Some are definitely not.  Our grocery bill has been about the same price each week even with the changes.  They seem to balance each other out better now, though, with some going down and some going up.

• Like 4

I went and checked from my last post and of the 23 items I had posted, 2 of the items are not being sold currently, 13 are the same price, and 8 have increased in price.  The most significant price changes seem to be in things like butter and bread.  Also, evaporated milk has gone up which I use in my holiday baking so I only buy much this time of year.

I have been better able to stick to my grocery budget in the last couple of months, but it has just been three of us at home most of the time, and I didn't lower it from when it was all five of us.  I am sure it will go over this month with the holidays and with middle (hopefully) coming home for leave for two weeks.  He has already started putting in requests for his favorite foods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Defnitely significan increases! Below are some items off my Walmart orders from a year ago and today. I put in red the two that were WAY higher, but all went up. 

Dec 14, 2021/today

Gluten Free Double Stuff Oreos - $3.67/$4.58 

Dawn Dishsoap 40 oz - $4.94/$18.79

Great Value Chopped Walnuts 24 oz - $8.18/$9.30

A&W Zero Sugar Root Beer 12pk $4.98/$6.48

Marketside Caesar Salad Kit 11.55 oz - $3.58/$3.98

Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Gluten Free Oats 32oz - $5.58/$6.48

Great Value Half and Half 32oz - $1.86/$2.78

Fuji Apples 3lbs - $3.47/$5.28

Red Onion -each - $0.25/$1.10

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Defnitely significan increases! Below are some items off my Walmart orders from a year ago and today. I put in red the two that were WAY higher, but all went up. 

Dec 14, 2021/today

Holy cow.  I need to look that up to see how much it is here.  $15.99 here.  Holy Sh..

And how can you not use Dawn for some things?  I mean I can wash dishes with other things, but I use dawn to clean showers (the only thing that works) and carpet stains.  The 75oz is 9.94 

Does anyone else read the lists of what people have on their shopping lists and then want to put new things on their shopping list?  Just me? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Dec 14, 2021/today

That is so weird. I can get 75 ounces of Dawn for $9.94. It's the only one I use, the blue type with the duck on it. I went online and out in zip codes for two other states I'm familiar with and found the same price. 

Screenshot_20221205-100656~2.png

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Idalou said:

That is so weird. I can get 75 ounces of Dawn for $9.94. It's the only one I use, the blue type with the duck on it. I went online and out in zip codes for two other states I'm familiar with and found the same price. 

Screenshot_20221205-100656~2.png

I noted the same thing.  That the big one is cheaper.  I have noticed that on other things at walmart.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Dec 14, 2021/today

I think the Dawn is just a temporary Walmart glitch?  I see it everywhere else for reasonable prices.  

The price of soda has gone up so much.  I drink a ridiculous amount of diet soda and have cut back a little but I love it so much and don't want to give it up even though I know it's terrible for me.

• Like 1

I just shopped today. Cans of pinto, red kidney, and black beans are up 20c a can since the beginning of September. Baking flour is up another 50c per lb/.113 kg at the Mennonite bulk food store for 10-20lb/4.53-9 kg bags of nice flours like King Arthur.

Rice held steady at $22 for the 25 lb/11.33 kg bag of basamati. Eggs have stabilized at $3.00 a dozen for regular, and $6.00 for organic. Any kind of seafood just keeps going up and up. Mark and I would like to eat more seafood and less of any other kind of meat, but we also have incurred some pretty major expenses having to do an emergency re-roofing on have the house here in Michigan, and all my travel back and forth from Alabama when dd was still struggling with long covid. The grocery bill for putting on Danish Smorrebrod for Christmas Eve is going to be wretched, so I am not buying any fish or shrimp for a good long time.

Mark says next fall he is going to take up salmon fishing and will see if he can get some to freeze, and may go perch and bass fishing this spring. He is a good fisherman so we have some hope of success. He has all the gear so apart from his fishing license fee, there isn't any cost to it other than fuel to get to his favorite fishing holes.

I noticed absolute scarcity of canned clams and clam juice. We love clam chowder with big salads for lunch, and a small pot will feed us for two days. Due to climate change and rising ocean temperature, I think our days of New England clam chowder are numbered.

Cream cheese - off brand - was up to $3.00 for 8 oz (.113 kg), and $4.00 for Philly. These were $2.50 and 3.50 back in September.

Cheddar and mozzarella has been stable for a while, but I noted that shredded parmesan was up $1 a lb./.226 kg

Frozen spinach was on sale for 99c per 10 oz/.28 kg package. I bought 8 pkgs, and will use them for spinach lasagna, spinach and artichoke dip, quiche, and mini-spinach pies (Middle Eastern seasoning).

Gluten free brown rice spaghetti noodles were $3.99 for 11 oz/.31kg in September, and $4.99 today. Another 25% increase.

Apples are up another 25%. I am glad so dehydrated all those honey crisps from my tree. I easily ended up processing two bushels of apples, and that amount would be $128-150 if purchased. My grandsons love to snack on apples, and in Huntsville not only are apple varieties not prolific, the price tag is high. $4.25 a lb for a honey crisp there -if Kroger or Publix had them - and an average size ie .33 of a lb. Three apples for $4.25. I took 15 quarts of dehydrated apples to them. Mark says I should make a business out of it next year because dehydrated apple chips made from cheaper apple varieties have reached an insane price. Nope. I will pick that tree absolutely to the bone next year to feed my family. 

Carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, fresh herbs, and salad greens are all up 25-50%. Some of that is the usual price hike of Michigan harvest season being over so except for some Michigan grown greenhouse stuff, it is now being shipped from out west. We really need to build a lot more solar greenhouses here. The price was already nearly double that of the previous year so with the price hike, it is getting hard on folks. Salad greens aren't even worth buying. A head of iceberg lettuce or romaine or bag of greens is running $5, and it is all in terrible shape. We are just going to have to stop eating so many salads. I will occasionally splurge for hothouse raised butter lettuce heads from Meijer because it is my favorite, but I think I am going to convert our salad at lunch habit to stir fry vegetables over rice or polenta for a while. I have a lot of frozen veggies that will still stir fry well, and bell peppers are still affordable. So I can thaw some green beans, broccoli, and carrots, throw in a pan with red pepper, and then eat that up or since it is winter, eat a lot of veggie soups at lunch.

I am thankful not to have to worry about my two underweight adult sons. They are in a very fortunate position to be sharing an apartment/expenses, and to both have solid, middle class income jobs. They have no life partners/families and low student loan debt. Apart from keeping themselves in cars with car insurance, their expenses are low since they are under 26 and still on our medical insurance. Though prices keep going up, they can afford to not ration food. I am really concerned about a lot of people. I have noticed my mom cutting back at the grocery store, and now eating more simple carbs. Her last A1C, despite meds, was not good. I am going to need to have her over here to eat more often so she is getting more protein and healthy fats, less carbs.

Next summer I am expanding from 2 raised beds plus a bunch of pots, to 12 raised beds, and my flower pots will be full of herbs. I will be growing more as well as buying more produce at the farm market and "putting up the harvest" as the saying goes even more so than I have done in the past so I have a lot to share with my adult kids and my mother as well as to share with neighbors when I hear of a need. I would donate to food pantries but many of the local ones do not have refrigeration and only take non perishables then send people to the grocery with prepaid certificates for milk, butter, cheese, and fruit/veg.

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, fresh herbs, and salad greens are all up 25-50%. Some of that is the usual price hike of Michigan harvest season being over so except for some Michigan grown greenhouse stuff, it is now being shipped from out west. We really need to build a lot more solar greenhouses here. The price was already nearly double that of the previous year so with the price hike, it is getting hard on folks. Salad greens aren't even worth buying. A head of iceberg lettuce or romaine or bag of greens is running $5, and it is all in terrible shape. We are just going to have to stop eating so many salads. I will occasionally splurge for hothouse raised butter lettuce heads from Meijer because it is my favorite, but I think I am going to convert our salad at lunch habit to stir fry vegetables over rice or polenta for a while. I have a lot of frozen veggies that will still stir fry well, and bell peppers are still affordable. So I can thaw some green beans, broccoli, and carrots, throw in a pan with red pepper, and then eat that up or since it is winter, eat a lot of veggie soups at lunch.

Ours isn't that high.  A head of iceberg is running about $1.70 but they are so small they are only enough for one salad (although admittedly our salads are quite large).  When I have 5-7 bowls of salad to make that adds up quickly.  I'm now trying my hand at growing lettuce indoors.  I just planted Friday but I'm hoping it will work.  I'm good at growing sprouts so if I can combine them with lettuce we can at least have some kind of fresh veggies even if I have to top them with dried tomatoes.  

But I'm with you on expanding the gardens,  I was already planning to reconfigure so more of it was growing inside my cage away from the squirrels but prices are definitely motivating me to maximize my production.  I'm just hoping I have enough stamina to keep up with the preserving the harvest side of things.

1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Ours isn't that high.  A head of iceberg is running about $1.70 but they are so small they are only enough for one salad (although admittedly our salads are quite large).  When I have 5-7 bowls of salad to make that adds up quickly.  I'm now trying my hand at growing lettuce indoors.  I just planted Friday but I'm hoping it will work.  I'm good at growing sprouts so if I can combine them with lettuce we can at least have some kind of fresh veggies even if I have to top them with dried tomatoes.  

But I'm with you on expanding the gardens,  I was already planning to reconfigure so more of it was growing inside my cage away from the squirrels but prices are definitely motivating me to maximize my production.  I'm just hoping I have enough stamina to keep up with the preserving the harvest side of things.

I am considering trying to plant some spinach or leaf lettuce in a long, rectangular planted inside. My issue is that my east windows are the only ones that get decent sunlight, and even then, I am not sure we will.be getting enough here in Michigan. I have basil, oregano, mint, chives, and am starting green onions. Hopefully, I have room for the planter. I would like to give it a try.

Stamina at harvest time is a thing. I told Mark he will simply have to help on weekends and in the evenings. If I grow green beans, my mom will can some, and freeze the rest. She likes to sit and snap beans. She doesn't mind canning pints which do not have to process long. 

I will probably have two of my sons home for sailing and kayaking over Labor Day weekend, and my intention is to have a day of all hands on deck to get cherry tomatoes and apples into the dehydrators, and make a huge push on making pasta sauce, salsa, and plaintiffs tomatoes to can. We can break it up between our kitchen and my mom's kitchen so we can have two teams working simultaneously.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am considering trying to plant some spinach or leaf lettuce in a long, rectangular planted inside. My issue is that my east windows are the only ones that get decent sunlight, and even then, I am not sure we will.be getting enough here in Michigan. I have basil, oregano, mint, chives, and am starting green onions. Hopefully, I have room for the planter. I would like to give it a try.

Stamina at harvest time is a thing. I told Mark he will simply have to help on weekends and in the evenings. If I grow green beans, my mom will can some, and freeze the rest. She likes to sit and snap beans. She doesn't mind canning pints which do not have to process long. 

I will probably have two of my sons home for sailing and kayaking over Labor Day weekend, and my intention is to have a day of all hands on deck to get cherry tomatoes and apples into the dehydrators, and make a huge push on making pasta sauce, salsa, and plaintiffs tomatoes to can. We can break it up between our kitchen and my mom's kitchen so we can have two teams working simultaneously.

I'm on the other side of the lake from you so probably a pretty similar zone and yes the lack of sun indoors is a huge problem.  I do have a sun room that has windows on the west, north, and east sides so it's pretty bright but still not enough (would have like southern window but that just didn't work with the house) so I've invested in grow lights.  I've got 4 lights (of 3 different brands) so I could test them out.  Besides lettuce, I've got a pepper plant I brought in from outside and I will be planting a cucumbers.  I've got one more light and pots that I can play with but it will have to go in the basement so I'm thinking herbs or a second planting of green of some type since I think those things will do better in a lower light environment.  

I don't think the crazy random price hikes and supply disruptions will be going away any time soon so I'm trying to find a  way to keep a variety of foods on hand.  Fresh stuff is always the hardest especially in the northern climates.  

But I do hear you about bringing in recruits to help.  My girls always have at least one weekend of "pepper party" when we clean and chop 200-300 peppers and now we are gearing up for an onion party for chopped onions and french onion soup that I will be canning.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have definitely noticed a spike in food prices over the last six months to a year. Today, eggs were $3 a dozen at Aldi! Yowch. I checked, and area stores were all similar or higher. 

I got a great deal on a Thanksgiving turkey ($0.37/lb!) and on butter just before then (2.54/lb) but those were apparently special holiday prices. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:20 AM, Kassia said:

I think the Dawn is just a temporary Walmart glitch?  I see it everywhere else for reasonable prices.  

The price of soda has gone up so much.  I drink a ridiculous amount of diet soda and have cut back a little but I love it so much and don't want to give it up even though I know it's terrible for me.

Same. It's obscene

Canned dog food is also up a LOT most places, but I can get it on amazon for a reasonable price, thankfully. 

23 hours ago, El... said:

I have definitely noticed a spike in food prices over the last six months to a year. Today, eggs were $3 a dozen at Aldi! Yowch. I checked, and area stores were all similar or higher. 

I got a great deal on a Thanksgiving turkey ($0.37/lb!) and on butter just before then (2.54/lb) but those were apparently special holiday prices. 

Eggs are over $5  dozen here in Australia at Aldi, and can be as much as $7 doz. 

It was on the news yesterday that onions have gone up 200%. 

On 12/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, mommyoffive said:

Is the 40oz crazy high at your store too?

The one I shop at only carries the 2 I showed, plus a smaller one. That's the blue type, I never look at the other colors or the newest blue one that is supposed to be even better.

I'm sorry. I'm talking about in store purchases, this thread may have been about online purchases. I've never chosen online or curbside pickup. Those prices are higher I suppose?

Edited by Idalou

Our girls are molting so I has to buy eggs yesterday. My options were conventional dozen for 2.39 or 18 cage free for 4.99. 

Baking supplies are way up. Brown sugar that was 89c for years is 2.29. Philadelphia cream cheese has been on sale for 2.50 so we stocked up. Butter shot way up and dropped just a bit recently. 

My husband used to get 24 pk Coke for 6.49-6.99? Right now the 12 pk is 7.99 and 24 is 13.49. 

I used to consistently get boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts for $2/lb on sale.  Now it is $3.49 on sale and often as much as $4.49.  

I have old food receipts, I’ll see if I can dig them up.  

It does feel like more the the stated inflation rate and that’s knowing how those numbers are determined.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I used to consistently get boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts for $2/lb on sale.  Now it is $3.49 on sale and often as much as $4.49.  

I have old food receipts, I’ll see if I can dig them up.  

It does feel like more the the stated inflation rate and that’s knowing how those numbers are determined.  

I agree. My receipts indicate that groceries have inflated much higher than many other necessities.

2 hours ago, Idalou said:

The one I shop at only carries the 2 I showed, plus a smaller one. That's the blue type, I never look at the other colors or the newest blue one that is supposed to be even better.

I'm sorry. I'm talking about in store purchases, this thread may have been about online purchases. I've never chosen online or curbside pickup. Those prices are higher I suppose?

I am looking for all shopping prices, online and in store