Menu

What does this mean?

Ginevra

There was a tornado in the town where I work again yesterday, not a week since another tornado. I posted about it on FB. Then on of my FB “friends” started talking about underground particle accelerators that were recently turned on “creating dark matter all over the place”. Or something to that effect. I did confess my total ignorance on the subject. 

What in hell and tarnation is she talking about? 

The Large Hadron Collider at CERN has been switched on again, looking for new kinds of particles.

It certainly has nothing to do with tornadoes. 

One of the particles it might possibly create in extremely small numbers might perhaps have something to do with dark matter. Nobody knows. It won't generate large quantities. 

There is more dark matter in the universe than regular matter, and nobody knows what that is. There is more dark energy than both kinds of matter combined. Nobody knows what that is either.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

She’s nuts. Tornadoes happen when hot AIR meets a lot of cold air with sheering force. Where they meet and rub against each other tornadoes start. That’s why they are predictable, along with the approximate quantity and strength. 

You can take the government’s tornado watching class free online if you want to learn to identify them better than most weather people on TV. Not actual meteorologists obviously, but unless you live in area where tornadoes are common the non-meteorologists aren’t good at identifying them. 

Edited by Katy
AIR not HAIR, autocorrect! Ha!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

There was a tornado in the town where I work again yesterday, not a week since another tornado. I posted about it on FB. Then on of my FB “friends” started talking about underground particle accelerators that were recently turned on “creating dark matter all over the place”. Or something to that effect. I did confess my total ignorance on the subject. 

It's a new conspiracy theory for 2022.  One of my fb friends posted about it, basically saying the world was going to end on the day the Hadron collider was fired up (July 5th - I think).  

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

It's a new conspiracy theory for 2022.  One of my fb friends posted about it, basically saying the world was going to end on the day the Hadron collider was fired up (July 5th - I think).  

I figured it was something like this, based on who posted that response.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tenaj said:

Well that explains everything. I was wondering why a couple of my Amazon packages were running late, and now I know that it's because the world ended on July 5th. 

I feel like such a fool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

4 hours ago, Quill said:

roflol  . . . . Physicists don't even know what dark matter IS!   Only that it is not atoms, and that it makes up the bulk of the mass of the universe.  They're not creating dark matter. 

Several years ago, CERN tried to *find* a Higgs-Bosen.  

My brother once sent me a conspiracy theory supposedly written by scientists from CERN who were being chased by men in black helicopters because they "opened a door into a different dimension" . . . Being determined to "wake him up" (he's AN ENGINEER!!!!) - I did some research on it. It was someone's (really really bad - so bad it was funny) attempt at writing sci-fi.  and there were people who understood it was fiction waiting for the next installment

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I was wondering why a couple of my Amazon packages were running late,

No, no, no -- that's not it at all.  If you ORDER dark matter on Amazon, and the delivery truck gets stuck in one of the new roundabouts, THAT's what causes the tornadoes, doncha see?

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, there’s also the guy in NEPA who publicly shared his belief that all the new traffic circles were responsible for an increase in tornados, so…

we need a fainting reaction-emoji . . . 

though I do remember the Congressman who said if we sent more troops to Guam, it would roll over (because of the weight) . . . . .Bless his heart.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, PaxEtLux said:

No, no, no -- that's not it at all.  If you ORDER dark matter on Amazon, and the delivery truck gets stuck in one of the new roundabouts, THAT's what causes the tornadoes, doncha see?

Ok, wait. So did the world end on July 5th or not?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Wasn’t there a young Sheldon episode about this a while ago? I mean not the tornado but some kind of possibly terrible outcome from the collider? Tbf to the conspiracy theorists naming it dark matter does make it sounds like some kind of supernatural evil 😂😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wasn’t there a young Sheldon episode about this a while ago? I mean not the tornado but some kind of possibly terrible outcome from the collider? Tbf to the conspiracy theorists naming it dark matter does make it sounds like some kind of supernatural evil 😂😂

To conspiracy theorists.   These are the same people who insist it's "CHEM-trail" NOT "con-trail" (short for condensation).   I have been attacked for attempting to correct that misunderstanding.

Physicists named it dark matter because they can't see it.  They only know it's there because it has gravitational effects and they can see those effects.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, there’s also the guy in NEPA who publicly shared his belief that all the new traffic circles were responsible for an increase in tornados, so…

See, now this makes sense!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Carrie, are you from NEPA like me?! I can't believe this became a national story! 

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Well that explains everything. I was wondering why a couple of my Amazon packages were running late, and now I know that it's because the world ended on July 5th. 

I feel like such a fool.

Your drivers were raptured. We've all been left behind...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well traffic circles are definitely of the Devil so he may have a point…

(I am famous in my family for panicking at roundabouts even though I am an otherwise very competent driver)

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiberia said:

I wish someone would have told me the world ended on July 5. I would have done things differently. 

My birthday is later this week, and now I realize I'm no longer going to age.

Look at me, winning at life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

If the world was supposed to end on July 5th  - when I was out sick with active covid - why do I still have covid symptoms?  (but test negative.)

Your simulation came to an end at that point, so your avatar is in stasis. This also explains why the test is negative -- the Covid no longer exists, but your pre-July5 persona is stuck at the moment the program closed. If a reboot occurs, you'll be able to move forward.

I'm warming to this topic, people, and am considering starting a Tiktok making up my own conspiracy theories. 

• Haha 14

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

Well traffic circles are definitely of the Devil so he may have a point…

(I am famous in my family for panicking at roundabouts even though I am an otherwise very competent driver)

Right??? Me too! I can do city driving and 10-lane highways with no problem, but show me a little roundabout and I panic. 

• Haha 2