Menu

Tell me about your Apple Watch

Spryte

Which one do you have? What do you like about it?

Can it replace your phone or do you still have to carry a phone when you go out?

Would this be a good option for teens who don’t want to carry a phone?

Thinking for myself, but pondering for a teen, too.

I like mine. Almost immediately, I regretted not getting the cell capability though.

What do they use their phone for? If the watch has cell, they’ll still get all messages without their phone, and can respond. I still usually take my phone because I take a bazillion photos and so far that’s something the watch can’t do. 😉 . I often use my watch for payment when I’m out; sometimes it’s easier than taking a card with me (I used it exclusively in a Ireland but the US isn’t up to speed yet so I can’t use it everywhere). Oh and you can listen to music with it using Bluetooth headphones and iTunes, no phone needed.

I'm actually a little bit inspired by making sure I close all my “exercise rings” which surprises me, so I’m pretty diligent about monitoring workouts and daily step counts. Plus, it’s pretty 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, mine is mostly there to check my heart stuff so I don’t convince myself I’m having a heart attack instead of anxiety.  Totally worth the $$$ for me, in ER bill savings! 😛

I do use it to see who’s texting me instead of grabbing my phone just to see what Kohl’s discount for the day is, or if it’s important from the kids.

I do like being able to voice-text out while driving, but I can’t seem to keep a text conversation straight on it while sitting around. 🤷‍♀️ I prefer my phone.

I also like being able to answer phone calls while my hands are full of dishes or cooking or whatever, or if I’m outside without my phone. But I very much prefer to switch it to the phone once my hands are available.

My kids use their phones for social media, games, cameras, etc., so they wouldn’t trade for the watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought my dad the 45mm apple watch 7 with cellular. I also bought my dad an iPhone 11 to replace his Samsung. I purposely chose the cellular model for my dad in case he forgot to charge his cellphone. My mom passed in April and my dad is staying alone. Knowing that he can call for help even if he forgets to bring his cellphone or his cellphone battery is flat gives me peace of mind. So worth the high price for that model. My country of origin does not have Life Alert or equivalent so that is what my dad is using the Apple Watch for. Prepaid plans are very cheap there.

My husband bought me the watch 7 without cellular.  In my case, my phone (and powerbank) goes everywhere I go if I leave my home because my iPhone 6s battery is dying. I am waiting for the new iPhone 14 to launch so that I can get the iPhone 13 for a lower price. I am using a prepaid plan for my iPhone and it would be costly to get another prepaid plan for an Apple Watch just in case. So we went for the non cellular model.

I need my phone for replying emails and chats, online banking as well as using Canvas for any class I am taking. My teens need their phones for Canvas, chats and YouTube. We went with the 45mm apple watch 7 because it has a larger screen which makes reading text messages easier for my dad and me. 

ETA: bear in mind smartwatches are not allowed for exams. So if you are getting for your teens, you would need to also have normal watches for them to use during exams.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it has cellular they can make calls and crudely text. I use it to see who is calling, as often the phone is across the house when it rings and I don't want to drop what I'm doing and run go answer it only to find out it is a salesperson, you know? I can glance, see if it is a family member, and then continue on. 

I use it for tracking fitness stuff, more than anything. But I did end up at the store once without my phone and needed to call someone and used it for that, and I often answer my phone with it if need be. 

• Thanks 1

It can only replace your phone if you have cellular, which is extra monthly cost. IMO it doesn’t replace a phone entirely but can be a great addition to the phone. Having said that, it can replace your phone temporarily such as when swimming (if you have a waterproof watch), kayaking, and such. Again, if you have cellular. 

I don’t have cellular. Mine is one of the newer “always on” watches. It needs to be charged every night because “always on” uses slightly more battery life each day. Even though it’s not cellular, it’s still great if I don’t have my phone (but it is within range) if I’m outside working in the yard or driving, even. I can answer my watch instead of running for my phone or fumbling for it in the car if I forget to put it on the phone mount or something. 

I recommend “always on”, and if you want to have cellular capability, it’s not a bad thing to have. I just don’t personally need it. You could, though, with cellular, leave your phone in the car and you could still receive and make calls and texts from your wrist while shopping. You could also pay with Apple Pay if that’s available. Texting is a bit cumbersome on the watch, but you can do it. 

I use my watch for counting steps, closing rings, timing an outdoor walk or cycle. Those features work even without cellular. 

• Thanks 1

I have a samsung watch - so some things are similar.

There is LTE, and there is blutooth/cell for phone calls.  2ds and I both purchased LTE so we have the option to "upgrade" if we want.

what isn't made known up front (this applies to Apple as well) - if you want LTE (making phone calls without your phone), you have to have a dedicated cell phone line just for your watch. (in addition to your 'regular' cell phone)  So, additional monthly expense.

If your cell phone is nearby (like in your pocket or your purse) - you can always call/text/check email/etc. via blutooth linked to your phone.

My son has had one for years - there have only been a couple times he wishes he had LTE.

I've had times when I've been talking on my cell phone - and it switches to my watch . . . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

I have a used 3.   I have a love hate relationship with it.   Some things it does really well and others frustrate me.   The battery does need to be charged daily whereas my garmin could go 3 days between charges.   
mine is the older model though.   The exercise rings are motivating but at times it will tell me to stand up where the issue is that I haven’t had the time to sit down yet😏

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Honestly, mine is mostly there to check my heart stuff so I don’t convince myself I’m having a heart attack instead of anxiety.  Totally worth the $$$ for me, in ER bill savings! 😛

I do use it to see who’s texting me instead of grabbing my phone just to see what Kohl’s discount for the day is, or if it’s important from the kids.

I do like being able to voice-text out while driving, but I can’t seem to keep a text conversation straight on it while sitting around. 🤷‍♀️ I prefer my phone.

I also like being able to answer phone calls while my hands are full of dishes or cooking or whatever, or if I’m outside without my phone. But I very much prefer to switch it to the phone once my hands are available.

My kids use their phones for social media, games, cameras, etc., so they wouldn’t trade for the watch.

Same pretty much.  My heart doctor wanted me to get it.  And I like being able to answer it if my phone is in the other room.  

• Thanks 1

I’m thinking of the same thing. I have a very loose relationship with my phone. I rarely have it on me, it’s often dead, and I regularly loose it for days on end. I’ve been wondering if I could switch exclusively to the watch with cellular. The thing holding me back is maps for driving. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

I’m thinking of the same thing. I have a very loose relationship with my phone. I rarely have it on me, it’s often dead, and I regularly loose it for days on end. I’ve been wondering if I could switch exclusively to the watch with cellular. The thing holding me back is maps for driving. 

you can ping the phone with your watch! Even if it is set to silent. I literally do this half a dozen times a day, some days, in order to figure out where I set my phone. It was actually the one feature that sold me on getting the watch, lol. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

I’m thinking of the same thing. I have a very loose relationship with my phone. I rarely have it on me, it’s often dead, and I regularly loose it for days on end.

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

you can ping the phone with your watch! Even if it is set to silent. 

Not if the phone battery is flat. You could set the iPhone to save its last known location in the icloud.

972F3E4C-365E-415B-B627-1395DF8B6919.thumb.jpeg.1706d2c7ee4ba1b1c7c5ff7cf7c26454.jpeg

I love mine.  Mostly the reason I wanted one is because we no longer have a land-line, but I didn't want to have to carry my phone with me everywhere I went inside my home.  Now I can just set my phone down when I walk in the door, but know that even if I'm at the opposite end of our home (from my phone) I won't miss a call or text.  It's also nice when I'm out and about or walking the dog and my phone is stuffed away in my purse or deep in my pocket.  I don't have to dig it out but can just deal with whatever it is via my watch.  I don't have the cellular watch;  I need my phone nearby to connect with.  That works just fine with me.  

• Like 2

It needs to be linked to a phone no matter what. I was looking into smart watches for my kids for skiing before they had phones. And it just would not have been the right solution because they would still need phones and I'd need to get the cellular watch plan. I think for an emergency if you have cellular it can be helpful. I wear mine constantly and love it because I can immediately see if I have texts or calls without keeping my phone on me all day. When I'm home it's somewhere in the house and when I'm out it's in my bag. I love the ping feature too. 

• Thanks 1

I have the Series 6 with GPS and Cellular. It's linked with my phone but has it's own phone number. I don't have to have my phone with me to make calls or text. I thought I would like it better than my other fitness trackers, but I don't. It doesn't track sleep well. It does ok with steps and workouts, but I think Fitbit was better all around for fitness. What I use it for constantly is timers and reminders. It's my alternate brain lol. Perfect for brain fog or ADHD. I like when I'm playing an Audible title on my phone I can use my watch to control it. I usually have cotton gloves on at night after I put lotion on, and I can use my watch screen with the gloves but not my phone, so this saves me a lot of annoyance!! I also have the SOS on my watch as well as my phone, so I don't have to bring the phone with me for that to work. The only reason I usually have my phone with me when I go out is because I have roadside assistance with Verizon that is tied to my phone, and a car that is giving me trouble lately. I also like the ECG feature as well as the Blood O2. Definitely came in handy during my bout with Covid. And having MS, I appreciate the fall detection. I use the Mindfulness and Breathe feature quite a bit. 

I was able to get the watch for a great price from Verizon between device dollars (going away the end of the month!!) and a $150 off deal they were running. The plan was $10 a month, but after getting a better plan on one line they reduced it to $5 a month and our whole bill is $3 cheaper a month with added Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, as well as Apple Music. 

Almost forgot - I always misplace my phone, so the ability to ping my phone from my watch is a lifesaver!!! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dsmith said:

I have the Series 6 with GPS and Cellular. It's linked with my phone but has it's own phone number. I don't have to have my phone with me to make calls or text. I thought I would like it better than my other fitness trackers, but I don't. It doesn't track sleep well.

Get the Pillow app. It is much better than the integrated sleep tracking. 

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Get the Pillow app. It is much better than the integrated sleep tracking. 

Thanks, I just downloaded it, and it looks awesome! I decided to pay for a month, and it's analyzed past data, which is pretty cool. And I can see that my blood oxygen dips to 92% in the middle of the night. 😲

On 6/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, ktgrok said:

you can ping the phone with your watch! Even if it is set to silent. I literally do this half a dozen times a day, some days, in order to figure out where I set my phone. It was actually the one feature that sold me on getting the watch, lol. 

I love love love this feature.  I too use it several times a day.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dsmith said:

Thanks, I just downloaded it, and it looks awesome! I decided to pay for a month, and it's analyzed past data, which is pretty cool. And I can see that my blood oxygen dips to 92% in the middle of the night. 😲

I definitely find it worthwhile, when I'm trying to track/improve sleep. the regular integrated one thought I was sleeping every time I sat down for 15 minutes it seemed like, lol. 

57 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

How long does the battery on your watch last if you use it to track a walk/hike, etc?   I have a 3 and have to charge it every night.  I couldn’t use it to track sleep as I am under 10% battery by end of the day

Depends..if I have it set so that I can always see the watch face without tapping it to turn it on, it lasts a bit under 48 hours. So I'll charge it while sitting at my desk, or while I'm reading before bed. It charges quickly. 

If I have it set so I have to tap the face to turn it on it will last up to 3 days I think. 

I thought mine was broken the other day, and did the mental calculations to decide whether I'd replace it...and I decided I would.  Fortunately, a hard reboot took care of things.

Here's what I use/like the most:

• Hey Siri, find my phone.  
  • Or, I can answer the phone from my watch, giving me time to get to my phone. 
  • The fitness tracker to make sure I am getting my miles in.  I walked more than 1200 miles last year, thanks to this motivator.
  • I have all pings, beeps, rings, etc. muted on my phone and watch, but my watch will let me know if I am getting a phone call by vibrating a little. I like a quieter life.
  • I set the Watch to be silent whenever I am at church.  When I go in, I get no notifications. When I drive off, the watch automatically turns on again.
  • I use the timers a LOT.  "I'm going to read without getting up for xx minutes..." or I set a 10 minute timer so I don't get distracted and forget that I have set a pot of water to boil.  
  • When I fly the boarding pass is on my wrist; that means I'm not struggling with luggage and balancing my phone or fumbling with a paper boarding pass.
  • I can use Apple Pay from my wrist. I can check out at Starbucks.
  • The "I've fallen and I can't get up" feature makes me feel more confident when I am alone in a house with stairs or on a hike.
  • The voice-activated texting works great when I am driving.
  • When I see my heart rate going a little high, I know it is time for some deep breaths and a few minutes of calm.
  • More than once, I have used the flashlight to go up stairs or on a path that is for some reason not well lit.
  • When I'm driving, I set the route in my phone and put it away.  Siri yaks in my ear to tell me where to turn and the watch vibrates at the time I should actually turn.  
  • I can control podcasts from my watch, so when I am out on a walk, the phone is stashed and I'm hands-free.

I had a low-end FitBit and was happy enough with that for what it did and I admit that I didn't use its full feature set. The integration with my iPhone makes the Watch more useful to me. 

ETA: I got the stretch silicone band and like it a lot.  However, sitting in the sun in Hawaii, that dark blue silicone got VERY hot. I got a light colored one and it stays cooler. 

Edited by Resilient
add info
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Resilient said:

I thought mine was broken the other day, and did the mental calculations to decide whether I'd replace it...and I decided I would.  Fortunately, a hard reboot took care of things.

Here's what I use/like the most:

• Hey Siri, find my phone.  
  • Or, I can answer the phone from my watch, giving me time to get to my phone. 
  • The fitness tracker to make sure I am getting my miles in.  I walked more than 1200 miles last year, thanks to this motivator.
  • I have all pings, beeps, rings, etc. muted on my phone and watch, but my watch will let me know if I am getting a phone call by vibrating a little. I like a quieter life.
  • I set the Watch to be silent whenever I am at church.  When I go in, I get no notifications. When I drive off, the watch automatically turns on again.
  • I use the timers a LOT.  "I'm going to read without getting up for xx minutes..." or I set a 10 minute timer so I don't get distracted and forget that I have set a pot of water to boil.  
  • When I fly the boarding pass is on my wrist; that means I'm not struggling with luggage and balancing my phone or fumbling with a paper boarding pass.
  • I can use Apple Pay from my wrist. I can check out at Starbucks.
  • The "I've fallen and I can't get up" feature makes me feel more confident when I am alone in a house with stairs or on a hike.
  • The voice-activated texting works great when I am driving.
  • When I see my heart rate going a little high, I know it is time for some deep breaths and a few minutes of calm.
  • More than once, I have used the flashlight to go up stairs or on a path that is for some reason not well lit.
  • When I'm driving, I set the route in my phone and put it away.  Siri yaks in my ear to tell me where to turn and the watch vibrates at the time I should actually turn.  
  • I can control podcasts from my watch, so when I am out on a walk, the phone is stashed and I'm hands-free.

I had a low-end FitBit and was happy enough with that for what it did and I admit that I didn't use its full feature set. The integration with my iPhone makes the Watch more useful to me. 

ETA: I got the stretch silicone band and like it a lot.  However, sitting in the sun in Hawaii, that dark blue silicone got VERY hot. I got a light colored one and it stays cooler. 

Wait - there is a flashlight??? I didn't know that, lol. off to figure that out....

Oh goodness - it's right on that main screen when you swipe up! I never noticed! And it seems to have a regular flashlight, a strobe one, and a red light! thank you! I will totally use that!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Wait - there is a flashlight??? I didn't know that, lol. off to figure that out....

Oh goodness - it's right on that main screen when you swipe up! I never noticed! And it seems to have a regular flashlight, a strobe one, and a red light! thank you! I will totally use that!

And the walkietalkie.  When dh gets his watch we can go our separate ways in the grocery store and know when each is done without texting.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Resilient said:

And the walkietalkie.  When dh gets his watch we can go our separate ways in the grocery store and know when each is done without texting.  

I'm not sure what the benefit of that one is, instead of calling?

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I'm not sure what the benefit of that one is, instead of calling?

You don’t have to have your phone out or text on the watch while you are pushing a cart and comparing ingredients of two cans of tomato paste. It’s just another option.  If a whole family had walk-in-talkie, they could all keep track of each other at the park or at the beach  or in the ski slopes.  

24 minutes ago, Resilient said:

You don’t have to have your phone out or text on the watch while you are pushing a cart and comparing ingredients of two cans of tomato paste. It’s just another option.  If a whole family had walk-in-talkie, they could all keep track of each other at the park or at the beach  or in the ski slopes.  

oh, I meant using the watch to call them, versus using the watch to use the walkie talkie. We tried the walkie talkie, but I found it no better, and sort of annoying, and wondered if I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

oh, I meant using the watch to call them, versus using the watch to use the walkie talkie. We tried the walkie talkie, but I found it no better, and sort of annoying, and wondered if I'm missing something. 

No I probably am missing something.  Thanks for stating your experience.  

1 minute ago, Resilient said:

No I probably am missing something.  Thanks for stating your experience.  

I don't know, my DH was really excited about the feature...I just couldn't figure out his reasons...but that's typical for our interactions, lol. He's certainly more tech aware than I am, so there may be a good reason I just don't understand. 

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Same. Dh can’t hear the walk-in talkies in a store, or maybe I don’t have the settings right to notify him. A text will vibrate so he has a chance to realize I’m trying to get it touch w him. 

Do the newer watches have more activity options?   My 3 does not Have one for water aerobics.  Today I found out it didn’t have a kayaking option…and I got zero exercise minutes for 4 hours of paddling.  I would also like a cross country ski one

On 6/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, Arcadia said:

Thinking about my Pfizer side effects especially the fatigue part, I didn’t realize my O2 sat and heart rate was that cranky until I look at the data from my apple watch.

91D16109-DDFE-48C5-8D12-4CEC66719FB4.thumb.jpeg.f79750a05752907ed325844ef406b2f6.jpeg

60A0F436-C545-41E3-9DA2-2564ED0D401B.thumb.jpeg.ea1b00c6f0cdd073184e5e3aba54c4e6.jpeg

I didn't even know there is a blood oxygen chart. 

Like all Apple products, battery life decreases quite quickly. I've had my watch for 3 years and within the 12 hour mark it needs to be charged. 

But I absolutely need the watch and phone. 

I don't wear any jewelry, not even a wedding ring, and would not wear a watch but for the seamless connection between the phone and watch. I feel naked without the watch now.

12 hours ago, Ottakee said:

How long does the battery on your watch last if you use it to track a walk/hike, etc?   I have a 3 and have to charge it every night.  I couldn’t use it to track sleep as I am under 10% battery by end of the day

I have to charge every day. I just pick a certain time when I'm not using my watch to track exercise or steps, like after dinner when I watch TV for an hour, or when I'm sitting at my desk during work hours.

11 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Do the newer watches have more activity options?   My 3 does not Have one for water aerobics.  Today I found out it didn’t have a kayaking option…and I got zero exercise minutes for 4 hours of paddling.  I would also like a cross country ski one

You can always use the “other “ workout but yes has cross country skiing.and paddling, and water fitness. 

Edited by ktgrok

Does the walkie talkie work if there is no cell service? For some reason, our Target is a dead zone. Or at least, the back 2/3 rds is. So you can't call anyone unless you go to the front of the store. It sure would be convenient if the walkie talkie continued to work to help locate missing members of your shopping party. 

3 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Does the walkie talkie work if there is no cell service? For some reason, our Target is a dead zone. Or at least, the back 2/3 rds is. So you can't call anyone unless you go to the front of the store. It sure would be convenient if the walkie talkie continued to work to help locate missing members of your shopping party. 

I have no idea since my husband and kids don’t have Apple Watch. For Target, we use the Target wifi and then just WhatsApp each other. Also, the Starbucks near the entrance is our default area to wait if we can’t find each other in the store, some of our Target has two storeys. Our main problem is with Saks Off 5th because there is no free wifi and cellular is weak too. We just wait around the main entrance if we can’t find each other.

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Oh! maybe - that would make sense as to why it was a feature!!! I literally could NOT figure out a single reason using the walkie talkie vs calling on the watch would be preferable - but no cell signal would make sense, if it worked without it. 

Since you are considering for your children, be aware that it is possible to get contact dermatitis from the watch strap especially in warm weather. 
My left hand still has rash from pfizer so I switch my watch to my right hand last night to see if the watch also cause the rash. Photos were under different lighting.

Right hand  ACD2140C-9FE0-4584-904D-A03C3071FFFD.thumb.jpeg.4d6ea55160f576eb5fba0bf5203e3ec7.jpeg 
Left hand 4927BC70-2C45-47F6-9A79-516AB4448C40.thumb.jpeg.859f4bde0095391aa05e1794ba93ac81.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Since you are considering for your children, be aware that it is possible to get contact dermatitis from the watch strap especially in warm weather. 
My left hand still has rash from pfizer so I switch my watch to my right hand last night to see if the watch also cause the rash. Photos were under different lighting.

Right hand  ACD2140C-9FE0-4584-904D-A03C3071FFFD.thumb.jpeg.4d6ea55160f576eb5fba0bf5203e3ec7.jpeg 
Left hand 4927BC70-2C45-47F6-9A79-516AB4448C40.thumb.jpeg.859f4bde0095391aa05e1794ba93ac81.jpeg

I had this happen - switched to woven cloth ones - they let air get to the skin, and I can throw them in the washing machine. No more issues. They are pretty cheap too, so I got a couple and I just switch them out once a week, give or take. If it gets super sweaty and gross I do it more often. 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I had this happen - switched to woven cloth ones - they let air get to the skin, and I can throw them in the washing machine. No more issues. They are pretty cheap too, so I got a couple and I just switch them out once a week, give or take. If it gets super sweaty and gross I do it more often. 

Thanks. I’ll probably switch to a leather strap. I have been using leather watch straps since I was in preschool because of skin sensitivity. Nylon sports straps give me issues too. When I was in high school (late 80s, high humidity and temperature), many would wear their watches over a wrist/sweat band.